What is Wrong with Starmade

Because Democracy is fun

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Reaction score
    Honestly fairly disappointed that this became more or less people debating the new power system rather than the original topic. Not sure if I should be upset that people downvoted the thread without seemingly even reading it :(
    Actually, it's not all bad. I'm seeing a lot of clarity coming out of the discussion in this thread. Sure there is a lot of muddled argument going on, but there is also a lot of explanation and reasoning going into it on top of that. Things are surfacing here that haven't surfaced yet in other places, and it is leading to improvement. I originally thought the new bonus system was fairly straightforward and relatively sound, but some people have voiced concern here that it is actually confusing and has a couple unintended exploits. While the thread is getting a bad reputation, it is still productive to some extent.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was hyped for the update and visited the forum a lot, following the updates and every thread about them. However, seeing what has been done with this flawed power system, the hideous power streams (I'm not playing this game until those are deleted) and the discouragement of discussion by not posting news threads and disabling reactions, I think I'm going to stay away from the comunity for a while.
    I think impatience is the last thing we need right now. Let's give the game some time and see how it turns out.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I somewhat agree with. I understand that nobody wants an indefinitely recharging shield, but I think there should be some level of recharge while the shields are taking damage.
    I've been thinking about that for a while, and realized that most spaceship games I played had in fact the very same mechanic; Shields either don't regenerate under fire, or take some time to kick in.

The glaring difference is, those games also had a reliable , fuss-free way of fixing your hull that got blasted full of holes due to the collapsed shields, or a painless respawn mechanic, or your ships were but short-term, per match investments and their loss didn't matter on the long run.

In contrast, shields in starmade can be collapsed very quickly, and after that, even if you won the fight you're still screwed, because the best way of "fixing" your damaged ship is scrapping it for materials and buying a new one.

So I'd support the no combat regen rule BUT only after a serious and often proposed change to the damage mechanic: Damaged blocks shouldn't actually be deleted, just tagged "dead":

Dead blocks would:

-Be invisible and non-colliding
    -Non-Functioning
    -Be visible but transparent in build mode
    -If removed via build mode or salvaging would only yield scrap
    -Be repaired for cash at shops.
    -Be repaired for free in owned shipyards, or for cash in someone's public shipyard.
    -Be repaired when hit by repair beams ( actual block doesn't need to be targeted, entire ship is healing block by block when hit by the beam anywhere - including docked entities )
    -Slowly be repaired passively if the ship has repair modules on board ( like the effect modules that you didn't pair with a weapon - Did that whole system go out of use? ) or at a vastly increased rate for a heavy power cost and a cooldown if the system is actively turned on.

Profit:

- If your gun is cut in half, you'd no longer have twice the outputs; The game would still recognize the group.
    -If rails were damaged, stuff docked to them would become innert, but wouldn't undock, and save us all from their glitchy, FPS dropping, server stopping dance.
    -We'd be free to fight to our hearts content, and so long as the victor is a gentleman about it and lets the loser reclaim the overheating hulk, it could be restored to it's full glory even if it was torn to all but shreds. Conversely, the victor could capture the defeated vessel, fix it, and then either scrap it for resources, sell it, ransom it back, or use it himself.
    -Barely injured ships with damage to difficult surface detail or complex inner systems would no longer be needed to be scrapped; The damage would be easily fixable.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    -Be repaired when hit by salvage beams ( actual block doesn't need to be targeted, entire ship is healing block by block when hit by the beam anywhere - including docked entities )
    In order to avoid confusion I would suggest changing this to the astromech system. While I may be one of the few fans of support systems in Starmade, I have said many times that systems like Shiled Supply, Power Supply (RIP) and Astromech could have very interesting roles in Starmade if reworked properly. To the point however, I believed the Astromechs should have been designed to be exactly this from day one, as a "block by block" repair system it is worthless.

Reaction score
    In order to avoid confusion I would suggest changing this to the astromech system. While I may be one of the few fans of support systems in Starmade, I have said many times that systems like Shiled Supply, Power Supply (RIP) and Astromech could have very interesting roles in Starmade if reworked properly. To the point however, I believed the Astromechs should have been designed to be exactly this from day one, as a "block by block" repair system it is worthless.
    Damn! I was sleepy! I totally meant repair beams - or Astrotech on their official name. Why'd salvage repair anything... Sorry. Fixing now.

Reaction score
    "With the recent updates there have been a lot of new build mechanics and restrictions that were controversial. However, they seemed necessary to solve certain problems with people exploiting certain aspects of the mechanics. Most players never plan or intent to abuse these mechanics but they were still negatively affected by them. New players are also affected by the added complexity. Even the existence of an additional number while building has a negative effect. Understandably, a lot of those players asked the question “Why is this even a thing?”.

Restricting the build mechanics is most of the time affecting the wrong people, and a lot of times they are also not 100% effective in what they are trying to prevent. Making them more severe would put even more restriction on the whole system. Reducing them would make them completely ineffective.

With all that in mind I came to the realization that my perspective on balance might be a bit off. In trying to put out fires, new fires are coming up while development of other things suffers. We have been focusing on fighting the extreme cases of exploits way to much.

The conclusion of this is that I want to go back to those things that make the game fun."

Another Successful Landing for all of us.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    This seems a popular Suggestion thread.

What is the central "suggestion" here at this point?