The turret thread

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Finally got around to one of my larger artillery pieces. (still my smallest artillery)

I really hate some of the gaps in it but to get the max range of motion I wanted I guess I'll just have to suck it up and deal with them.

Reaction score
    Finally got around to one of my larger artillery pieces. (still my smallest artillery)

I really hate some of the gaps in it but to get the max range of motion I wanted I guess I'll just have to suck it up and deal with them.
    It looks pretty good from this angle at least.

When are you going to put your turrets up for download so I can steal them instead of making my own :P

Actually the 4-1 replacement is too big for my cruiser (the old 4-1 was really too big for it to begin with) and the 3-1 doesn't pack enough punch, so I still need to make my own anyway :(

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    It looks pretty good from this angle at least.

When are you going to put your turrets up for download so I can steal them instead of making my own :p

Actually the 4-1 replacement is too big for my cruiser (the old 4-1 was really too big for it to begin with) and the 3-1 doesn't pack enough punch, so I still need to make my own anyway :(
    I started using new 3-1 turrets as the old ones were shit, I'm not sure if I ever released a ship that had them equipped. I think I'll release a turret pack, just export and zip them all up.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Here are some turrets I've been working on...

These are based off the factions of a certain RTS game.

PS: do heat seekers still target your own turrets with the new system?
    Love the Supcom turrets. ^_^

However, currently debating as to whether they're Supcom 1 or 2 turrets.

Observe the Broadside Battery of Assholinilation! :D

Reactions: Quantum()
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A little observation, the smaller the fire arc of a turret is, the more effective it gets, asuming you have turrets covering every angle.
    This will disrupt turrets from interfering with each other and trying to aim at things that are at the very edge of their FoV.

Basicly, you are forcing the turrets to "take targets".

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    However, currently debating as to whether they're Supcom 1 or 2 turrets.
    I was referencing screens from both games when making those, but the UEF and Cybran anti-light ship guns were clearly the AA guns in SupCom 2, behind them are anti-missile point defense for each faction (Aeon is the one that's floating). In front was the original idea, I think those will be scaled up to main guns for frigate and destroyers.
    P.S. A few months ago, I started a list of SupCom themed ships on a word doc. Now it holds 3 whole fleets of ideas, one for each faction. But I can't make ships for crap, and when I do they usually are wildly off balanced or I have trouble matching the style. I'm about to throw my current project, Senator Class UEF Battle-Cruiser, into a black hole over designing its bridge!

Reaction score
    So what's a good practical size for an anti-fighter turret (for a cruiser sized ship if it makes a difference)?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    So what's a good practical size for an anti-fighter turret (for a cruiser sized ship if it makes a difference)?
    Considering "fighter" can range from anything between 50 mass and 100 meters... and who the hell knows how big a cruiser can be...

Reaction score
    Considering "fighter" can range from anything between 50 mass and 100 meters... and who the hell knows how big a cruiser can be...
    Yeah, I know it's a little vague. Kinda considering the "official" ship sizes, but then the Isanth is a corvette by that metric. Particular cruiser in this case about 2500.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yeah, I know it's a little vague. Kinda considering the "official" ship sizes, but then the Isanth is a corvette by that metric. Particular cruiser in this case about 2500.
    I'd say go with what feels right. If a turret looks odd because it's to large or too small build a new one. As for being anti fighter cannon+cannon or missile + beam are probably your best bet. Well everybody pretty much goes missile unless they have lore reasons not to.

Reaction score
    I'd say go with what feels right. If a turret looks odd because it's to large or too small build a new one. As for being anti fighter cannon+cannon or missile + beam are probably your best bet. Well everybody pretty much goes missile unless they have lore reasons not to.
    Sorry, I shoulda been more specific, when I said "practical size", what I meant was system module counts. Like Cc-50/50 or Mbe-10/10/10 or something like that.

The cruiser I'm working on currently, http://starmadedock.net/threads/krougals-driveyards.7114/ (shameless self-plug), so you can see I've got some pretty large flat surfaces to work with that are free of obstructions. The pics with turrets are all old system. Right now I've got a miniature version of Crimson-Artist "coins" missile launcher design(took the ice crystals out and made it only 2 discs) on each wing, although they're more for show, and to test how turrets with only 1 axis d.

Planning around 9 or so AMS turrets, and then I was thinking another 6 turrets, around 4000 power per second use each.

Reactions: Crimson-Artist

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Hybrid turrets ftw! :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    One problem, I set my turrets to Missile and after 2-3 seconds they start shooting at ships -.-

"Fire at those missiles, we must protect the ship at all cost"
    *Insert panic, laser, thruster and reactor noise*

"What did he say? Shoot the ships? Ok than!"

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    One problem, I set my turrets to Missile and after 2-3 seconds they start shooting at ships -.-

"Fire at those missiles, we must protect the ship at all cost"
    *Insert panic, laser, thruster and reactor noise*

"What did he say? Shoot the ships? Ok than!"
    I've only had this issue once before when testing the effectiveness of a PD turret. Its only started shooting at the ship firing the missiles once it was hit by a missile. I assumed it had to do with a non-faction AI being attacked by a non-faction entity and then auto aggro-ing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I've only had this issue once before when testing the effectiveness of a PD turret. Its only started shooting at the ship firing the missiles once it was hit by a missile. I assumed it had to do with a non-faction AI being attacked by a non-faction entity and then auto aggro-ing.
    Thank you good person, for you have solved my troubles. May your missiles always hit, and may you never jump in the sun.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3

No kill like overkill.

Yes, that is the CR front line Cruiser and standard base defense turret in the foreground. :D

I still need to complete the flat "shell" before I consider decoration, but I will NOT use the turret in it's current doom bricky state. (Personal ethics and shit)

PS: No wedging for barrel, it utterly destroys the "circular" effect due to shadow bug and other stuff. :p

Reactions: Lolvondon
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2

No kill like overkill.

Yes, that is the CR front line Cruiser and standard base defense turret in the foreground. :D

I still need to complete the flat "shell" before I consider decoration, but I will NOT use the turret in it's current doom bricky state. (Personal ethics and shit)

PS: No wedging for barrel, it utterly destroys the "circular" effect due to shadow bug and other stuff. :p
    oh dayum, were you just intending to bat enemies away rather than shoot them? :p