The turret thread

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Small point defense in development. Has an official name but I just like calling it 'flat-head.

its ugly, in a cute way.
    What happens if its at an angle when you try retracting it?

Reaction score
    Turrets! Here a missile and a cannon one.
    Point defense! very compact, 4 barrels.
    Oooooohhhhh! Me likes!
    I thought we don't need faction modules on turrets anymore.

From 1st post on page 1 I feel the need to say "nice ships Keptik, but where are the turrets?" :P

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    We don't? Even better!
    (not even on the barrel?)

Reaction score
    We don't? Even better!
    (not even on the barrel?)
    Not according to discussion on Sven's PD turret challenge thread.
    So far I've been too busy ripping my hair out refitting a turret (yes 1 turret, and a small one at that...hope to have it done today) so haven't been able to see how "friendly-fire" and new rails work, but I did notice that the turret & base pick up the faction from mothership (shows in targeting menu), about time I say.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    What happens if its at an angle when you try retracting it?
    Yeah that's an issue, I didn't quite think it through. I saw a concept and wanted to build on it. That's why I said they're still a development turret. Sadly the turrets do not snap back to their docked orientation. But the main priority is that they do work once they lift out of the bunker. They function like any normal PD, its just putting them away that's a pain in the ass.

Reaction score
    After many hours of cursing and chain-smoking, I've got a useable anti-fighter turret.
    2 cannon computers with 50 modules each. Can be slaved for single RF or left unlinked for slow dual barrel action. Some shielding but not much. Not really sure if there's much point anymore, but I had extra space (although maybe I should shorten the barrels)
    It's not fancy, but it works and considering the pain and suffering I went through I'm proud of this little turret (because I was ready to rage-quit halfway through it).
    Sven_The_Slayer pre-rail L4-1 C Light Turret which my turret began life as... sven.jpg

Full-frontal...uhh...turretry. I tried making a small base and the turret fit over it, but that didn't work out so well for me. Wound up making the turret the barrels and the base the housing. I had to change the barrel style to another turret of Sven's that I use so I could fit half of them on the outside. frontal.jpg
    Side-view centered. Can only fire up. The body is almost identical to the original, I made the base 1 row of blocks taller so barrel can travel.
    side.jpg

Sideview, guns at full height. So you can see most of the barrel is out here, but it extends into the base, was the best I could come up with at 2 AM.
    sideup.jpg
    swampstone I'm going to go with the Deathstar as my 1st answer and a WW2 flak gun as my alternate (which probably inspired the DS gun anyway).

Reactions: Rumcajz
    Reaction score
    And another one.... still the same inspiration Krougal Your second option is kind of close ;)
    Ok, that's definitly an AA gun, probably off the Midway.
    You're rockin em out now, this is another good-looker. What's that about a 20 module gun?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It is from WW2, standard 5 inch IJ Navy AA see original here.
    Mass is //// so yes, tried to make some sort of a longer range anti drone turret.

Im a real idiot, the actual mass is 15...

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Here's an updated design of my PD turret

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    the footprint fully retracted is around 150-180m by 100 wide and fully extended gives another 120-130m in length.
    Really? o_O. That's smaller than I expected. Still pretty massive though.

Just as reference Charon's biggest turret is 600m long including the barrels.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    That's no moon turret...It's a space station.....
    with in-game dimensions it'd be a planet :P (or more, depending on the size of the planet). Small planets should orbit my turret.

Reactions: alij331