The turret thread

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A spin off of GaeasSon's Design. Still very much a work in progress...
    Turret stats:
    70470 DPS, Beam/Cannon/Over Drive, 2347/2349/2349
    total size: 7047 weapon blocks, mass: 705
    Radius of turret = 24 blocks
    VERY Snazzy... A word of advice. That export of the Galaxy was done before Shields needed chargers. Slap some on there before the pirates find you and do acres of pin-hole damage before you notice them (it happened to me)

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    VERY Snazzy... A word of advice. That export of the Galaxy was done before Shields needed chargers. Slap some on there before the pirates find you and do acres of pin-hole damage before you notice them (it happened to me)
    Thanks, it's a good thing you told me I haddn't noticed yet.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    My turrets for my faction ships:
    starmade-screenshot-0132.jpg Antimissile Turret.

starmade-screenshot-0133.jpg Small Ship Turrets.

starmade-screenshot-0134.jpg A little bigger ones.

starmade-screenshot-0135.jpg Again bigger ones.

Hope you like them.

Reactions: Rumcajz
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    -5 to 50 degrees elevation. 10 to 360 degrees rotational freedom depending on how you configure the base.

Reactions: Keptick

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This is basically a re-post of my WIP Enterprise D.
    Here is the progress I've been making on my internal turrets there and some of the improvements I've made.
    1) Instead of the turret only being the size of a 1/8 sphere, now it's a 1/4 sphere. potentially doubling it's size
    Also the empty space needed inside the ship is half what it was before.

2) It now has ---> 360x90 <---degrees of movement. The same as the most common turret.
    WIP001.jpeg WIP002.jpeg WIP003.jpeg WIP004.jpeg WIP005.jpeg WIP006.jpeg WIP007.jpeg WIP008.jpeg

Currently the moving part of the turret has a mass of 903.75, so it's definitely going to need some mass enhancers.
    The turret has 9000 weapon blocks, 3000/3000/3000, Beam/Cannon/OverDrive. This may prove to be difficult to sustain.
    DPS:270K, e/sec: 4.5 mil. I may have to get rid of the overdrive?
    Dimensions: X/Y/Z, 51/29/51 (prime for inserting into my enterprise)

Current issues:
    Mass enhancers don't seem to be working properly. I did my calculations, and if I don't count for the 50 mass of "freemass", and each mass enhancer supports 5 mass, then I should need roughly 181 mass enhancers to allow for full mobility. But the turret still moves as slow a molasses on a winter's day. To verify that it was a mass enhancer problem, and not just because it's a big turret, I changed the "freemass" amount from 50 to 1000 in the config file. This is when the turret came alive. Hopefully the mass enhancer problem will be corrected soon. I'm going to try to put the mass enhancers directly on the turret base and see if that has an effect.

I also want to try an "inverse" or chained docked reactor to power the turret. Since power sharing works with docked entities, I'm going to make a couple of docked reactors without the power supply beams. Then I'll try chain docking them and putting the turret at the end of the chain dock. Though this wont supply any energy to the mother ship, it should be able to power the turret :)

I'll upload a sment once I'm happy that the turret works without having to modify block config files.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Update:
    The turret has 9000 weapon blocks, 3000/3000/3000, Beam/Cannon/OverDrive. This may prove to be difficult to sustain.
    DPS:270K, e/sec: 4.5 mil. I may have to get rid of the overdrive?
    In reality it's drawing about 9.5 mil/sec
    Current issues:
    Mass enhancers don't seem to be working properly... I'm going to try to put the mass enhancers directly on the turret base and see if that has an effect.
    I put the mass enhancers directly on the turret base and this resolved the issues.
    I also want to try an "inverse" or chained docked reactor to power the turret. Since power sharing works with docked entities, I'm going to make a couple of docked reactors without the power supply beams. Then I'll try chain docking them and putting the turret at the end of the chain dock. Though this wont supply any energy to the mother ship, it should be able to power the turret
    I'm calling them chain reactors, and they "kind of" work.
    While the turret can't access the e/sec of the reactor, it can access the power storage. So I made about 20 modular reactors that generate and store about 500K each. I then docked them to each other. At the end of the chain I put down my 9.5 mil e/sec turret.

I also had to modify my turret so that it had a 50% duty cycle (1 sec on, 1 sec off) to give the tank system enough time to recharge.

It works like a champ. Now I just have to figure out where I'm going to stash 288 (250x190) reactors. That's how many it will take to independently power 12 x 270K DPS phasor turrets

This is going to be soo cool :)