Krougals Driveyards

Reaction score
    Welcome to Krougals driveyards, home of practical performance engineered ship designs.

Our current catalog (available for download from Community Content):

Fighters/Shuttles/other small craft:
    A small work utility shuttle. Featuring pull/push/stop/astrotech beams, it is primarily intended for turret recovery/repositioning, but with decent shielding, maneuverability, radar jammer and a turret mount it can hold it's own against pirates. http://starmadedock.net/content/kdy-ars-11-warbler.2751/
    Fast multirole fighter. Exceptional speed and maneuverability. Armed with dual RF Cannon and a swarm missile launcher. Ship features 100% Ion & Overdrive defensive systems, as well as our standard jammer, scanner, emergency j-drive. 150 Mass.

Corvettes:
    An affordable entry-level salvage vessel. http://starmadedock.net/content/kdy-ksv-1000-series.2611/
    A siege-salvager. Ideal for pirate hunting. http://starmadedock.net/content/kdy-ksv-1300.2605/

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    My first 2 (finished...I've got several in various stages of completion) ships are a pair of early salvage ships.
    The first, the 1300 is very much inspired by the UCS SV-3402-A2 Froe. It bears a slight resemblance and also has the same swarm missile launchers and configuration of salvage modules (there's only so much you can do in a small ship) and a comparable performance and role, but is otherwise put together very differently.

The 1000 series is designed to be something a new player can immediately build and start using, something that seems to be lacking around here. It started as a stripped down SV-1300 but to get the cost down I had to strip it down so much that it's a distinctly different ship now. If you sell your unneeded starting parts (cannons) you can buy all the blocks for this ship, an extra faction module and have 51 cr left at a shop with standard prices. I'm not sure how higher/lower will work out (since you'll get more or less for the cannons as well as the blocks you need to buy).

Both ships are a little on the ugly side. I tend towards the utilitarian but try to include some "RP" features on my ships. My larger ships will have more fittings like airlocks and crew quarters and the like. These small ships don't merit any in my "design philosophy". My navigation lights are inspired by maritime tradition as opposed to aviation, which is why the addition of the white lights in the rear (in case anyone was wondering).

Posts and pictures need a lot of work. I'll get to it. Also more ships, I've still got a lot to learn.

Reaction score
    Small update to the KSV-1000, now KSV-1000-A. I started a new game and the starting shop had higher prices (also not enough thrusters) and made the ship unaffordable. I made some cosmetic changes, trying to make her less an ugly duckling (hmmm...maybe that's what I should name her) and also to cut some blocks. Cut some thrusters as well. Thrust to mass is still over 1:1 but less than 2:1 feels sluggish and unresponsive to me, I recommend buying as many thrusters as you can afford with whatever you have left and adding them. The reactor has power to spare. OH! Also fixed some "ghost links" that I somehow missed on the original. So not such a minor update after all.

I suck at screenshots so any tips would be appreciated.

I also noticed a discrepancy in the 1300 upload as well, namely some smoothing on the hulline midship behind the wings where it gets wider. I did this on my build but not the export it looks like. Also found a couple unneeded armor blocks and replaced them with extra shields. I'll get it uploaded tonight, just debating consolidating the Mbe from 4 shots to 2 (or maybe even 1) in light of a recent discussion on weapon power use.

And working on the CSV (Cruiser Salvager) number to be determined. This will be a light cruiser (around 2K-ish mass) salvager with some docks and rp crap. Trying to build something pretty but I'm more a systems guy so don't expect to be blown away (unless you think efficient power reactors are sexy). I'm also "subcontracting turrets from UCC" (blatantly stealing) being as next update turrets all need to be redone anyway.

Reaction score
    Works been busy and my computer was crashing this weekend (it's old and dying). I never did get around to cleanup on the 1300 but I've been working on this:
    starmade-screenshot-0000.jpg

Still very rough obviously. The back fuselage isn't done, that's just the wings around some systems. The command module is mostly done but I don't like the dome.

Some DFN Avalon influence there, but moreso the ship that inspired that I'm sure, the Klingon Bird of Prey. Obviously there won't be any cloaking device on this one, but I'm going for BoP inspired not replica.

Debating making the wings flat instead of angled. On the one hand I like the look better out flat, but the loss of maneuver and what it does to overall width. I suppose with the new rail system we'll be able to make them flap.

I do power systems along with skeletal rough-in. This ship is somewhat problematic, as to get the full width would make for a very inefficient reactor, since you need to travel all the way down each wing. Another reason to possibly go with flat wings.

Reaction score
    Work progressed into the wee hours this morning, and it's starting to look like a ship:
    KDY DSV angle.jpg

It's fully functional but far from done. I'm not happy with the turret placement, and yes, they are all Sven's (soon to be obsolete) designs. I may design my own when I muster up the courage for the dev build, but I will probably just stea...uhh...I mean....subcontract them again.

Systems are pretty much finalized. Ship w/turrets I guestimate is going to come in around 1600 mass once I do the interior and some detailing. I'm undecided on the color. May change the front bastyn crystals back to ice crystals (they seem the most overused block in the game, but they do look damn good).

Front
    I shaved 2 meters off the width from the original screenshot (maybe more since I went through several thinning passes). I'll probably swap those side turrets positions with the PD ones if I can fit them under the wings. I really don't like the large turret up there (especially since it blocks the observation lounge behind it) but I don't really have any other practical place for it. I might scrap it. The top houses an RP style bridge. The bottom a variety of weaponry including a salvage array, Mm HE, an Mb HE and for shits n giggles a Bb Ion but I might scrap that too.
    KDY DSV Front.png
    Side
    I really need to do something to make the wings a little more irregular, just looks very boring. Maybe make them a little wider up top (which is how the BoP wings are shaped actually) The wing mounted "disruptor cannons" of the BoP I decided to go with a decent sized Cc Punch. The more I look at the large top turret, the more I think it has to go.
    KDY DSV side.jpg

You can't see it from this angle, but it's a layer of blue crystal armor over ice crystal and visible on the sides are jump drive modules pulsing away for a nice effect. It's got an efficient jumpdrive. Ignore the bridge, it's very unfinished, just captains chair and rough-in.
    KDY DSV top.jpg

These next 2 are going to change a lot since I'll be adding a hangar and some kind of egress, maybe some landing gear. Probably going to rip off the DFN Avalon's "half-hangar" in some form since I really liked the look of it.

Bottom
    Yeah nothing to see here right now.
    KDY DSV bottom.jpg
    Back
    The large flat grey is just for rough in, but the "impulse engine" detailing will probably stay as is. Maybe 1 block narrower since it looks better long and thin.
    KDY DSV back.jpg

Playing with the wings a bit I'm finding I can go from 55 meters wide out to 101 and I've still got 1.1 turning. There comes a point pretty fast when maneuverability goes to shit and then it doesn't matter how big you go anymore. So it looks like next time I post pics there will be long flat wings, which also allows me to painlessly double the power regen.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Rumcajz
    Reaction score
    So I bit the bullet and redid the wings. I like the ship overall much better now. Widened the body. Moved all the turrets. Gave the wing mounted cannons some style. Mm launcher now rear-mounted. Work progresses. With the wider wings I was able to cut a reactor core out and still doubled all the weapon systems, got shield regen under 20 seconds, upped thrust to 2:1 and still have power to spare. She is getting larger again, now guestimating 2200 mass.
    KDY CSV New.png

Reaction score
    Here's the new back. Showing the "impulse engine", rear swarm missile launcher, half-hangar door and airlock. Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to ditch the hangar; there's very little interior room, ship is crammed with systems and I could fit another 1500 blocks in without the hangar. If I do that then I will probably move the airlock in central and have a retractable ramp down too(like the BoP).

Reaction score
    Redid the "command module", made it and the neck a bit bigger. Changed the whole overall look of it. Went back to ice crystals on front. Started bridge again. Fit a lot more stuff in. Cut thrust a bit but made weapons a little heavier. May not need to ditch the hangar, although it did dawn on me that I have perfectly good docking space under and/or on top of the wings. Just need to move the L4-1 C turrets to one side or the other, have to see what it does to their FoF, and also to the overall look. They'd be more practical towards the end of the wings I think. Anyway, enough talking to myself for the night :P

KDY CSV Cmd1.jpg KDY CSV Cmd2.jpg God the angle on the 2nd shot looks awful. It looks better in game. Still needs a lot of detailing. Also you can see the unfinished area under the wings. Also I need to do something with that ugly seam on the side, originally it was angled all the way up, but I widened the lower section for the hangar originally to get a 15 meter wide shuttle in, which seems excessive. I really need to decide on my own standard shuttle-size.

Reaction score
    Thanks xandervm
    Here's the bridge interior, needs a little more detailing (like everything else) but I'm happy with the overall layout. There are several people around here who take using exposed systems as decoration to an artform, which inspired me to try the damage beam module out as floor/walls in places. And it looks like it's time to update, so rails...yeah. Imascared.

Looking towards the bridge from just outside the core room. Forcefield at the end, may change to blast doors. Maybe put a blast door in one of the bulkheads here to break up the long expanse. Possibly along the height transition which I'm not happy with. Thinking I should go back to thrusters on the floor center.
    bridgecorridor.jpg Of course taking these pics in astronaut mode, I'm less thrilled with the look than from buildmode. Looks better from the outside, but I didn't take any new exterior shots.

Here's looking down from the captains chair. Not very exciting. I tried to go with bigger than single wedge seats, but not so thrilled with them either. The more I look at this picture the more I hate it. I may not be getting much feedback from anyone, but I'm my own worst critic anyway ;)
    Captains chair.jpg

And here's looking backwards from the captains chair. 2 tiny rooms to sides. 1 will be the captains ready room or maybe computer room, the other a head.

captainback.jpg

Reaction score
    What? Nothing to see here....or is there? gearin.jpg
    Chicken legs! I need to work on something that looks less like Baba-Yaga's hut, although again there's that BoP influence.
    gearextended.jpg
    And we're almost prepped for the USD-1 standard until it changes (because the second I adopt a standard it changes). You can see all my old turrets turned into space debris. I still need to do something with the hangar. Although I guess I could fit a bunch of mini-drones now that docking ships smaller than 7x7 is a thing.
    starmade-screenshot-0000.jpg

So the new docking system is getting less scarey by the minute. Anyone who having trouble, download Bench's X-Wing (or follow the videos if you've got a longer attention span than I do) and much will be made clear. I'm debating using those techniques to make the wings movable, but there are a lot of ramifications to it. The guns wouldn't work properly unless I made them turrets (the X-Wing guns show the limitations of aiming), but I am not thrilled about losing direct control of the main guns. Then there's the fact that they actually contain a shit-ton of ships systems. Granted I think I could keep a lot of shields and rechargers in the wings still, I probably lose a lot of power from the reactors getting smaller though. I don't realy care for the fact that the wings would be seperate ships either. Decisions, decisions!

Reaction score
    A lot of playing with the rails trying to figure out all their quirks. Took me all day to make a compact boarding ramp that works, but it's done. A few continued smoothing passes (front and sides but I'll post pics when I get wings done and new turrets in) in between as well as moving systems around to make interior rooms. Moved the rear missile launcher from center to bottom right and redid the shuttle bay as a full hangar.
    outback.jpg
    A button outside as well as 1 in the hangar. The ramp is meant to be used with the landing gear down (they are retracted ATM)
    rampdown.jpg

Inside hangar with the door open. The forcefield doors to cargo bay open/close on the same switch. Ramp is ahead center, raised.
    hangar open.jpg
    Hangar closed, forecfields open.
    hangar closed.jpg

Reaction score
    So after much frustration, figured out which way to orient the ramp properly and to have it retracted, since I had a curious condition when I restarted the game it would decide to rotate the wrong direction. Much pulling out of hair with turrets, although I think I've got a design I will use, for now at least. But I'm not here to talk about that, I'm here to talk about the draft..no...that isn't right either...

So some more frustration with refitting the refitted hangar to fit my refitted Warbler Recovery Shuttle. It's 49.5 mass of tractor-beamy goodness. Small push/pull/stop beams, plus an astrotech beam, radar jammer, emergency j-drive, and a turret mount. 2:1 thrust to mass. 6k of shielding with 40 second recharge. Also the 30 beam and 30 cannon can be relinked for light combat, along with an optional small turret...2 of our patented XYZ-2 reactors provide plenty enough power. All in a 15 x 11 x 5 meter package. Order today and we'll throw in a free missile rack.

KDY (Yeah, I need a code and # here)-Warbler, with optional Mbe 2x2/2/2 rack (has to be dismounted to fit in the CSV hangar). Front view. warbler.jpg
    Starboard view. And Yes, it's a smaller uglier Starmade version of a ST-DS9 Danube class runabout.
    warblerside.jpg
    Looking into the CSV hangar from the Warbler. I'm too lazy to make a GIF or you'd get a show. Actually I moved the red and green lights already so you can see them from the cockpit. Also added a switch at the end of rail to close blast door/open forcefield/toggle lights. The switch ahead can be deactivated with the Warblers beam from outside the hanger which turns the rails inwards so you glide on in when you dock. It's a little buggy on the way out, but it works, just needs some idiot-proofing.
    looking in.jpg
    And this is looking out as the Warbler is pushed back out of the dock. I need to get the logic right so it can be done from inside the shuttle. As it is, you need to open the blast door, and then activate the rail reverser and hope you can get your ass out the door before you bump the door and bounce back on the rail to hit the button.
    looking out.jpg

Annnnnnd...It looks like I got the hangar logic stuff straight. Turns out the idiot-proofing was that the idiot hooking it up had a rail switch hooked up to a door switch. Once I got that sorted it seems to work like a champ. Open the hangar door, hop in the shuttle, use the activation beam on the switch and it slides you to the back. I need to see if I can make it launch when it hits the back without it activating when you try to land too.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    So I gave the Warbler her designation, the ARS-11. It's actually named after a real USN ship, which started life as a minesweeper, was later refitted as....wait for it......a recovery & salvage ship. So anyway, history lesson over. I decided to go ahead and release it since the unnamed CVS-220 is still very WIP even though it is functionaly complete.

So here she is from the front with new turrets mounted, although placement is not final. Exterior is pretty much done now. I smoothed out some areas I was unhappy with and sealed the wings. We're up at 2600.1 mass with turrets and Warbler. I had to add a partial 5th reactor.
    CSVfront.jpg
    I built Cc-40/40 anti-fighter turrets myself (although they are as usual based off one of Sven_The_Slayer old turrets), there are 6 of them but the side ones worry me (they can get stuck). These views are all flying the Warbler.
    CSV4040.jpg 2 modified Crimson-Artist designed missile coin turrets (removed ice wedges and cut to 2 barrels...so micro-coins). I'm not sure how effective they will be, but they work, even though they can only go up and down (single turret axis).
    CSVcoin.jpg
    Sven_The_Slayer latest AMS design, 9 of them. And then there's the Warblers eyesore of a missile rack stowed on the bottom of the hangar(where it is functional).
    CSVams.jpg

Parking the Warbler. Yes, I'm very proud of my boring little hangar :P Actually wanted to show the logic stuffs since I fixed it last night.
    CSVhangar.jpg
    Cargo bay with full sorting system. 14 storage boxes (coulda done with 12 but anyway....) All sorted and cascaded and labeled, also linked to salvage array. To anyone familiar with his(her?) work, obvious FlyingDebris influence here. Although I may change it a bit still, but storage is final (because I'm not fucking going through redoing it again)
    CSVsort.jpg
    Looking up the ramp from the end of the cargo bay. Yeah, this is boring as fuck. Seemed like a good thing to take a picture of at the time...I've got some empty wallspace there to fill up.
    CSVlookingup.jpg
    Outside the core room. Again, basic, boring. I don't know why more people don't use them (I guess cause they are ugly) but I love floor switches. Besides the fact that I am lazy, they are also only 2 blocks to open and close from either side. No mass of triggers, saves like 10 blocks for a door like this. The left corridor (with all the shield gens...need to move them) goes to the bridge.
    CSVoutsidecore.jpg
    Past the core room to the right, the ramp up to...conference room/crew lounge/mess hall/etc. Door will go to officers and captains quarters.
    CSVup1.jpg
    Shot from other end of table looking out the window (God I hate all those shield-rechargers...a few looks classy...a lot looks tacky). The table and chairs are strategicly placed over the core room and so add another layer of armor to the core.
    CSVup2.jpg

Reaction score
    So no new pics. Most of the last few days work was under the hull. I've got everything interior except crew quarters (which I hate building) but I'm out of room again.

Been doing some combat trials. Going good so far. Decided to replace the wing mounted RF punch cannons with an RF overdrive beam that is 450 blocks smaller but has the same DPS (at double the power drain) and added another missile launcher, ion this one. Wrecked a ship twice it's size 1 on1. Several corvettes at a time (real corvettes not isanths) and of course can crush pirate stations and Isanths all day. Done both with myself and the AI flying (sadly the AI is a better pilot than me)

Reaction score
    Yeah, another pictureless update. Too tired. Needed a break from the CSV, not to mention I think I need to scale it bigger again. Also seems like the wing-tip guns are too far apart to be very effective, even as beams. Very hard to hit anything. Think I need to move the missiles out there and the beam to the center. *sigh* and I'm really pleased with the way those guns look, although they are kinda in the way of the lower turrets anyway.

Took the KSV-1000 and turned it into a fighter, replaced all the hull with advanced armor, sits at 150 mass, 2:1 Thrust, 100% Overdrive, 12k/748 shielding, 100% Ion. Cc-40/40 and an MmE-26/12/26. Weapons are a bit weak, but it's very survivable even with my half-assed piloting skills. It's really surprisingly effective. Will put it up for download tomorrow.