The Rail show off thread!

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    i adore this. it has that whole portal vibe. it also makes me long even more for a matter transfer (move items from a chest from a beam) system in the game. imagine the delivery pod sequences you could arrange.

Resource extraction laser being used in combination with a supply transfer unit... or something.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Resource extraction laser being used in combination with a supply transfer unit... or something.

someone needs to make an assembly line using rails where individual parts are "added" to each product. its possible, just extremely tedious

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    pvp map victory display (go blue!)

pretty funny when you are firing both colors at once:

Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    someone needs to make an assembly line using rails where individual parts are "added" to each product. its possible, just extremely tedious
    with what would it be possible to automaticly place blocks?

pvp map victory display (go blue!)

pretty funny when you are firing both colors at once:
    awesome disco, limit the size to pretty small, place it in your mc donald restaurant and have a party for eachy 50th costumer!

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    with what would it be possible to automaticly place blocks!
    well i was thinking more on along the lines of just using rail entities to make it look like parts are being added then after the product moves out of the players sight, each part that was "added" gets removed and goes back into the cycle. Basically the whole thing would be just for show and nothing would actually be made.

but Sven_The_Slayer made a good point, something i never thought off. when magnetic attraction gets added to rail dockers then it could actually be a functioning assembly line, albeit an overly complicated one

Reactions: HolyCookie
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    well i was thinking more on along the lines of just using rail entities to make it look like parts are being added then after the product moves out of the players sight, each part that was "added" gets removed and goes back into the cycle. Basically the whole thing would be just for show and nothing would actually be made.
    Just having the rails off scene somewhere , joining the pieces together, zapping em with a laser before moving onto the next step, that would work. You really could loop it so it looks like it just keeps going.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Just having the rails off scene somewhere , joining the pieces together, zapping em with a laser before moving onto the next step, that would work. You really could loop it so it looks like it just keeps going.
    indeed, exactly what i had in mind. points added if you can manage to sync it so some robotic arms are physically adding the parts

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I also thought about this and how tedious it would be which is why I settled for something far more basic and very quick to implement. The station that it is on is designed primarily to host a shipyard though (forward thinking may bite me I know) So there is scope to add such an assembly line in the main factory though it will likely be more for decoration than anything else as I assume that the 'shipyard' will actually just be a single block.

Hopefully magnetic docking will enhance this process, though I also forsee the possibility of it massively over complicating things when you have too many rails too close to each other...

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I also thought about this and how tedious it would be which is why I settled for something far more basic and very quick to implement. The station that it is on is designed primarily to host a shipyard though (forward thinking may bite me I know) So there is scope to add such an assembly line in the main factory though it will likely be more for decoration than anything else as I assume that the 'shipyard' will actually just be a single block.

Hopefully magnetic docking will enhance this process, though I also forsee the possibility of it massively over complicating things when you have too many rails too close to each other...
    well, with the magnetic docking you can move an entity in many more ways than normally.
    normally it can travel in like 2 ways (x,y,z) with magnetic i think you can do more ways, up down forth back left right.
    example: docked entity has 1 rail docker under it, it is docked on a rail going forth(Z)
    then, rails go up and the entity goes up(Y) then it once at the end of going up there is a line running back(Z).
    atm, it would stop right at that line, with magnetic you could put a docker ontop of the core and it can go over that one.

i hope you get this mess..... its hard to explain and i cant get screenshots into the forum easy. side view
    upload_2015-6-3_17-52-3.png
    [DOUBLEPOST=1433346772,1433346737][/DOUBLEPOST]art by HolyCookie

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2

Shame its so sped up with the Gif. Its a lot more dramatic at slower speeds :p

Last edited:
    Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Haha, might have to slow it down further then! they are all on 20% speed as it stands
    wait what? why would you want it even slower?
    isn't it about the speed in a battle.
    the battle would be done once those turrets are out if you slow them down even more