The Rail show off thread!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    well, with the magnetic docking you can move an entity in many more ways than normally.
    normally it can travel in like 2 ways (x,y,z) with magnetic i think you can do more ways, up down forth back left right.
    example: docked entity has 1 rail docker under it, it is docked on a rail going forth(Z)
    then, rails go up and the entity goes up(Y) then it once at the end of going up there is a line running back(Z).
    atm, it would stop right at that line, with magnetic you could put a docker ontop of the core and it can go over that one.

i hope you get this mess..... its hard to explain and i cant get screenshots into the forum easy. side view
    View attachment 12466
    [DOUBLEPOST=1433346772,1433346737][/DOUBLEPOST]art by HolyCookie

Yes I understand what you mean but this is actually possible in the current system you just put the rail docker on the side of the core rather than above or below... or don't even attach it at all...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Just having the rails off scene somewhere , joining the pieces together, zapping em with a laser before moving onto the next step, that would work. You really could loop it so it looks like it just keeps going.
    indeed, exactly what i had in mind. points added if you can manage to sync it so some robotic arms are physically adding the parts

How about this... fairly simple 3 stage assembly process of a ware transfer unit. This is the middle stage. the whole thing loops and 'disassembles' out of sight before reassembling again inside the tube.

I preferred to use a sliding load lifter and push lasers to position the parts on to the body as I think it is more 'Starmadey' ... also because lasers. If I had heaps of time I might do twisting and sliding mechanical arms but I like the way this thing turned out.

Surprisingly small amount of logic required too ;)

Reaction score
    How about this... fairly simple 3 stage assembly process of a ware transfer unit. This is the middle stage. the whole thing loops and 'disassembles' out of sight before reassembling again inside the tube.

I preferred to use a sliding load lifter and push lasers to position the parts on to the body as I think it is more 'Starmadey' ... also because lasers. If I had heaps of time I might do twisting and sliding mechanical arms but I like the way this thing turned out.

That is amazing. Would look great as scenery in the background of a factory or ship. Very nice.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    That is amazing. Would look great as scenery in the background of a factory or ship. Very nice.
    Thanks. And yes that is exactly its purpose in my latest build ( the whole thing is pretty logic/rail heavy )

It is going to fit into my shipyard building... somehow.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold

Now thats what im talking bout! Good job!

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic

we have got to see one another's labs one day.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yes I understand what you mean but this is actually possible in the current system you just put the rail docker on the side of the core rather than above or below... or don't even attach it at all...

eum lol, i sometimes limit myself i gues xD somehow i keep thinking, must have core and rail docker attatched.

Anybody else built a helicopter yet?

Download:
    http://starmadedock.net/content/v22-osprey.2836/
    yes, someone made a helicopter before, but that was a real sh*tty one that looked ugly, and only had 1 proppelor (<think i name it right, right?)

but please, don't call this a helicopter, its better than that, way better.
    e.g. laning gear and the propellor mechanim.

it looks great untill it exits the world, then it gets illogical xD
    i'd use that as a starter ship on my server (if i had a server and if the heli exualy could fight/salvage)

can you give me a shot behind the scenes? how did you time all this to well? looks great :D

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    can you give me a shot behind the scenes? how did you time all this to well? looks great :D

None of it is based on timing.
    It is actually easier to build and harder to break if you just use rail detection to decide when certain parts move or activate.

The whole thing is actually very simple logic you just take each step of the sequence one part at a time. The trick is linking the parts to one another so that it is fluid.

So the GIF of my station above is just a 3 part sequencce

Part A - the main carriage stops, this is easy to do by changing the direction of the rail right in front of the door, the change is triggered by the carriage going over the rail block just before that point. so the button that is activated to change the direction of the rail does a few things
    1. is linked to a rail block to change the direction of the rail, stopping the carriage
    2. is linked to the rail that the lifter is docked to, causing it to slide out
    3. is linked to the maintenance door so that it opens to allow the lifter and the new part to slide out
    4. is wirelessly linked to the the rail that the new part sits on so that it starts to slide into position.
    Part B - The lifter slides out of the door towards the main carriage halfway along the rail it is on is a button detecting that it is there. this is wirelessly linked to the power supply beam that is on the lifter, causing it to start shooting. The new part also slides at the same time as the lifter does onto the main carriage. there is a button at the end of the rail that the new part is docked to which is activated once the new part reaches the end of the rail which is when it is 'attached' to the main carriage. This button is connected to a few things

1. is linked to rail that the lifter is on, causing it to slide back in
    2. is connected to the rail that the main carriage is on, causing it to continue through the chamber.
    Part C - finally as the main carriage moves on it triggers another button that closes the maintenance door behind it.

This process is essentially repeated 3 times to assemble the whole unit and then is repeated in reverse on the way back round so that it is ready to go again.

Hope this wasn't too wordy. quite difficult to explain without drawings - I may do some later or possibly a video tutorial.

Here is a picture of the rails on the main carriage entity. each rail is one of the parts that is added on the assembly line. It is impossible to capture all the logic in a single picture and pretty hard to show it all in a meaningful way. hopefully the above description helps.

Reactions: HolyCookie
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ok - so I finally got some capture software and a bit of time to polish off the assembly line so it is now basically finish, complete with spinning fan. Here is the complete process...

.... now you see a bit more of my lab plusnine
    SEE HERE:
    the genius invetion of producing useless balls!
    :p
    looks great

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hey I noticed you guys and gals posting all of these wonderful rail systems and I was wondering if it was possible for someone to help jump start the station content in community content with some basic rail stations? I am personally in the process of building a rail assisted station and I don't think it will be enough. There is no need to post you personal blueprints but anything will help.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hey I noticed you guys and gals posting all of these wonderful rail systems and I was wondering if it was possible for someone to help jump start the station content in community content with some basic rail stations? I am personally in the process of building a rail assisted station and I don't think it will be enough. There is no need to post you personal blueprints but anything will help.
    is there a new contest? i didn't know that, great i can't wait for the stuff.
    but for me i can't help, yes i know how to use logic and rails but a shape shifting block would be how the station looks like when i build it.

also people i gotte cry!
    i can't make this V6 engine :(

but because when rotors hit something they put themselfs back to starting possision, i can't make it.
    because i need a holder for the thing

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Crimson-Artist / Sven_The_Slayer / HolyCookie / plusnine

I have now uploaded the complete assembly line onto Starmade Dock if you feel like playing around with it a bit. just need to wait for it to be approved. I have uploaded it as a ship so you can just dock it into any station you want or stick it inside a titan. It is bigger than it needs to be but it is only version 1.0

See if any of you can modify it to make it bigger better and smarter. (or smaller - would actually be more challenging and possibly more useful)

http://starmadedock.net/content/traynor-assembly-line-module.2841/