StarSide Blood and Steel Tournament

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    HerrColonel Yes, they are recorded, they will all be going up tonight and tomorrow after the tourney is finished(not enough time to get them uploaded etc yet)

Reaction score
    Are the whole fights recorded?
    I'd like to see what I missed yesterday once the tournament is over
    I recorded our fight with FRAPS. It's 35 GB raw, 28 minutes of footage that needs to be cut down to just the fight itself and compressed a bit.

As soon as I lost sight of the station, I knew that we were in trouble, since we were going to end up drawing all the swarm missiles. When Spartan focused on Finster, I tried to rush in to draw the heat off of him, but this turned out to be suicidal, especially considering that the Hellebarde is primarily a sniper with its lock-on missiles, similar to the Odium builds.

We probably would have been able to stick it out against Theta Angel if we had used the same tactic as Odium, using the station for cover, but then, we would have had to face Odium, and then Sven, so it's probably a good thing we lost when we did. :p

It's too bad Debris was a no-show. His ship looked awesome, and probably would have been able to hold its own if it had been piloted.

For my part, I'm going to work on some secret weapons projects for the next time a tournament rolls around. ;)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Very fun, even if our derpiness screwed our second round. GG to all the pilots
    I'll wait tomorrow to see if someone defeated sven

Reaction score
    I was at work, with spotty internet access. I'm going to have to see the replays of the second day of battles. That sounds intense. :eek:

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    It really was :)
    Great tournamnet
    Thanks to all who participated, smelter, the admins etc. and sorry for my turrets haveing a nervous trigger finger

Reactions: TheSmelter

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    It really was :)
    Great tournamnet
    Thanks to all who participated, smelter, the admins etc. and sorry for my turrets haveing a nervous trigger finger
    It was fun fighting you. Hope you participate in the next Blood and Steel, whenever that'll be.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    It was fun fighting you. Hope you participate in the next Blood and Steel, whenever that'll be.
    count on it man :) Yes the fights i had were really fun though i need a stronger machine :)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    If anybody is interested in seeing them I have posted all the screen shots from my Conflagration build. I threw the time stamps into excel to see how long I was working on the ship from start to finish. It took me 10 hours and 29 minutes from the first screenshot to the last, with probably like an hour break for dinner. 6:00 PM Monday to 4:30 AM Tuesday (The Day Of The Submission Deadline)

http://starmadedock.net/threads/united-colonial-corps-shipyards-and-fleet.734/page-3#post-86941

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Hey Raiben, just wondering when the next competition will be and the rules for it?
    Battleminers, must completely digest a 4K asteroid before firing any weapons or venturing into the battlezone. A ship that digests faster can gain position near the station and if much faster than the opposition, fire before the other may. Similar weight to the existing competition, something a starting player could reasonably achieve in a few days. Such could be very educational.

Just me throwing out an idea.

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Battleminers, must completely digest a 4K asteroid before firing any weapons or venturing into the battlezone. A ship that digests faster can gain position near the station and if much faster than the opposition, fire before the other may. Similar weight to the existing competition, something a starting player could reasonably achieve in a few days. Such could be very educational.

Just me throwing out an idea.
    Like it but don't like to build such a ship :) i mean in a fleet ships normally have roles right this way you make em effective. idk like how would you design the interior for a non role specific ship? hmmsalvagers are for salvaging battleships for guarding and battle so these roles kind of already spark ideas of how it could be inside you know

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Silver
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I’m so going to build a dedicated tournament ship for the next one. I did alright with my current modifications but I don’t want to relay on AI ships again.

Huge thanks to all the admin crew that made it possible and everybody who participated. I had a lot of fun.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Like it but don't like to build such a ship :) i mean in a fleet ships normally have roles right this way you make em effective. idk like how would you design the interior for a non role specific ship? hmmsalvagers are for salvaging battleships for guarding and battle so these roles kind of already spark ideas of how it could be inside you know
    A battleminer is a ship with a specific role, it is a salvage/mining ship that operates independently but is able to defend itself from pirates (which on some servers can be much stronger than native) and equally sized PvP attack. Just because a ship is not intended to function with a fleet does not mean that it has no specific 'role'.

I pirate hunt/harvest with a battleminer on a server with significantly beefed up pirates. A very common pirate on that server will strike with sniper missiles for 250K and has 250K shields as well. I have encountered them flying seven at a time. While harvesting them, my battleminer has had fights that lasted 20-30 minutes with over 100 of those pirates that showed up during the fight.

The reason I use a battleminer is specifically so that I can harvest the overheating hulks of the pirates it destroys. It would be quite impossible for me to harvest pirates without flying a battleminer. I could in theory get together with other faction members, have them destroy pirates while I wait in an unarmed miner (or vice versa), and then go in and salvage the wrecks, assuming the unarmed miner survived, but this frankly would be a boring waste of time when I could just as easily do it all myself by arming my miner, making it a battleminer.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    A battleminer is a ship with a specific role, it is a salvage/mining ship that operates independently but is able to defend itself from pirates (which on some servers can be much stronger than native) and equally sized PvP attack. Just because a ship is not intended to function with a fleet does not mean that it has no specific 'role'.

I pirate hunt/harvest with a battleminer on a server with significantly beefed up pirates. A very common pirate on that server will strike with sniper missiles for 250K and has 250K shields as well. I have encountered them flying seven at a time. While harvesting them, my battleminer has had fights that lasted 20-30 minutes with over 100 of those pirates that showed up during the fight.

The reason I use a battleminer is specifically so that I can harvest the overheating hulks of the pirates it destroys. It would be quite impossible for me to harvest pirates without flying a battleminer. I could in theory get together with other faction members, have them destroy pirates while I wait in an unarmed miner (or vice versa), and then go in and salvage the wrecks, assuming the unarmed miner survived, but this frankly would be a boring waste of time when I could just as easily do it all myself by arming my miner, making it a battleminer.
    You really love the sorting system don't you *biggrin* got ya, an al round ship so to speak... able to transport goods and people smuggle stuff fight pesty folk... that sounds really intersting but i would guess lots of people might have a problem with it and so just focusing on one aspect. like the idea but for a tournament i think it should be kept simple.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I’m so going to build a dedicated tournament ship for the next one. I did alright with my current modifications but I don’t want to relay on AI ships again.

Huge thanks to all the admin crew that made it possible and everybody who participated. I had a lot of fun.
    Yes I found it very sad only one of your ships were manned. You could have done even more great

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Silver
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yes I found it very sad only one of your ships were manned. You could have done even more great
    It could have yes. My strategy was to let the AI grab most of the attention then outflank the opponent myself with the radar jammer and get into knife fighting range. It worked the first time but not so much in the second.

What I liked most about this tournament was the unique way the ships were designed to fit a particular battle strategy. I mean my first opponent had this crystal shield floating in front of the ship that looked really cool. I definitely see a use for that to keep missiles away from the main hull.

And the best thing is to see that a group of people in ships of lesser mass can defeat a ship of greater mass.

I’m also posing the link to the ship I used here for the people that are interested:

http://starmadedock.net/content/ws-storm-crow-mk4.2217/