StarMade v0.201.126 - Weapon Update

Discussion in 'Game News' started by schema, Jul 10, 2018.

1. kiddan

kiddan Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror

Plus, AI can use missile bombs yet IIRC. Until this is a thing, there's a lot of creative designs put to waste. =/

2. Tsnonak

Starmade will not die, just as Minecraft did not.
      Starmade has achieved a similar kult status, albeit not as big and glamorous, but this is mainly due to the fact:
      Building Space-Stuff is not for everyone...

Aside from the many Bugs and unbalanced systems, Starmade is, in its Complex-Simplicity (+1 for Paradox effect ) a very cool building game with a unique and unmatched style (insert list here).

We just need to be patient for the "Final Release"

I hope all this negetivity does not get under the Devs skin... do your Best, it is good enough ;)

Make Starmade Schine!

P.S. most things do work... more than not (reality check).

#222 Tsnonak, Jul 30, 2018
      Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
      • Like Like x 3
    3. Nebulon-B_Frigate_FTW

Minecraft had a pretty big playerbase while it languished in beta. It also had more things to do even in alpha than just build (hint: the name of the game).
      StarMade needs to improve mining, crafting, NPC behavior, faction setup, and shelter.

• Like Like x 4
    4. Tsnonak

1-4 Agreed!
      What do you mean by "Shelter"?

It may also be worth mentioning the "Open End" aspects of Starmade...
      A lot of what is missing ingame, is left up to the Player-Base.
      Create NPC factions as "You" (playerbase) would like to see them...
      Fill the Galaxy as "You" (playerbase) would like to experience it...
      Actaully a good Concept instead of just a oneway experience-path layed out by Devs.

#224 Tsnonak, Jul 30, 2018
      Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    5. Hidden Porpoise

Does any system in the game work as intended? Like, any system at all?
      That's why people don't care about ideas and concepts at this point

• Like Like x 1
    6. JinM

This is one of the biggest assets Starmade has: You can add in playermade content and missions via stations, and maybe later on via NPC faction settings or a quest API.

Minecraft never provided this in his vanilla setup for a player created world - ofcourse you can download a map, but we want it in our randomly own generated universe. This allways bothered me. It would be so easy in a randomly generated Minecraft world to put in mission and quest related structures via the biome and coordinate distance system - but it never happend besides in a few, rather mediocore, mods.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Zoolimar

Thrusters.

• Like Like x 3
    8. Nebulon-B_Frigate_FTW

A distinguishment between home and the outside centering on threats to survival, which is absolutely essential for survival-based play to feel correct.
      If you want to see an extreme example, look towards Subnautica, where it's relatively easy to have your safe base and 4 hours in you'll be fully self-sufficient with just one indoor growbed. Meanwhile, outside, in the deep, there are teleporting things that will teleport you out of your ship to slice you up right next to giant beasties that will chomp you and other things that will electrocute you and drain your ship's power.
      Right now in StarMade, you can just plop down a core, a power block, and a thruster and go anywhere you want and the only real threat is that pirates might randomly spawn in to ruin your day, but they're so annoying that they're often just disabled entirely, as they're a binary threat that either poses no real threat or slaughters you arbitrarily, and your ship thus doesn't really act as a shelter.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Tsnonak

Are you referring to the mechanical aspect pointing to the fact that 3 blocks do not constitute a space-travel worthy vessel?
      or did I missunderstand?

10. Nebulon-B_Frigate_FTW

The point is there is no pressing need to create much of anything, and thus the game is without goals aside of "I want to build", which is not survival. The game might as well just be creative mode and ship fight mode.

11. Alphajim

Maybe, let them the time to make the universe update ?
      Plus I don't see it as a true survival, neither is it mentioned in the [french] Steam description. But yeah, the game lacks something dangerous in space. At least until Universe Update.

• Like Like x 3
    12. Donoterase

At the risk of sounding repetitive, are missiles working for anyone? I'm wondering if the explosion system was disabled altogether. Because, for me, all missiles are doing in my universe are giving point-defense systems something to shoot at.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Nebulon-B_Frigate_FTW

There's a bug where the explosion system stops working.

• Like Like x 1
    14. diremage

diremage Tech Wizard

Is there a bug to get the explosion system to start working again? Because I have yet to see it work.

15. Donoterase

From my trouble ticket to Schine, re: Warheads:
      "Warheads may not work at all anymore, they are partially deprecated for now. (Until we have a new purpose for them, as the mines have replaced them.)"

On the other hand, they say missiles are working just fine. I wonder if mine are ineffective because I switched their HP to linear.

• Like Like x 1
    16. MacThule

"as intended?"

Intent is a funny thing.

It certainly makes law a very interesting field of applications; with it being so difficult to discern the true intention of another. Particularly when, since the dawn of time we've had to deal with peoples' false statements of intent, feigned concern, pretended charity, and... well, you know - hidden purposes.

Which is why over time a certain language has evolved around such issues. "Working as intended" being a very good example of the kind of language typical of businesspersons today (particularly when acting under the counsel of some disciple of Law). Because long trial and error has shown that such a statement is likely to be... let's say "easily defensible," being rooted firmly in the notion of intent.

In development processes, often the full and complete 'intent' of any given implemented system is testing in pursuit of study and research towards superior future iterations rather than to be a final product outright. So at present, I believe that there are several systems working as intended, per those whose intent has developed them. Many are currently pending replacement and revision.

Do you feel that revision to a system somehow implies that it wasn't previously operating as intended?
      --- Updated post (merge), Aug 1, 2018, Original Post Date: Aug 1, 2018 ---
      It does fit with much of the general style of what is defined as a "survival game," but this may be an issue of over-broad labels for "survival game." The term certainly does not seem to be present in the English description either - it is billed as a "voxel space shooter," and that is all.

• Like Like x 2
    17. Hidden Porpoise

I don't mean in final iteration, I mean work in the way it was meant to in the last pass. Shipyards were moved on from without ever working as written and they aren't the only one.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Donoterase

So, because I'm just fussy in that way, I tested out a couple of slightly older models of the weapon update. Version 201.130 has missiles and warheads exploding just fine. Version 201.130a has missiles working as advertised, but warheads won't explode (at least, not on impact. I didn't try other methods such as activators or shooting them). And finally back to version 201.133 where neither do anything but look pretty. I updated my trouble ticket accordingly and will post any interesting nuggets that come back. I can't help but think that, when they fixed the mines, they crippled the explosion mechanics somehow.

19. Tsnonak

"Fixed shipyards (several issues) and added shipyard logs"

I hear Shipyards are working again, can anyone confirm?

20. PromisedPossum

My shipyard is working well in 130a.

• Like Like x 2