StarMade v0.199.654 - Exploit fixes

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Silver
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Anyone running in the problem as well sins the last update that wireless connections are not saved?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Running into a rather annoying bug preventing me from playing at all. Some kind of shader syntax error in the latest version. >.<

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Silver
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Graphical errors are always a difficult issue. Because it most likely has to do with a combination of the setup the game is running on.

Some other issues I ran in as well:

- Spawning in a completely different sector then the one I logged off as.

- Jumping to a different sector when I use the up option to get unstuck.

- Rails falling to activate for some reason. Restarting the universe fixes that.

- Only being able to activate doors one block at a time. Restart fixes that as well.

It’s hard to pin down what causes it exactly. I’ll have to see if I can replicate it reliably.

Lag

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Anyone running in the problem as well sins the last update that wireless connections are not saved?
    Quite honestly, I've never been able to retain wireless connections since the system was introduced. I've seen countless fixes go through but it still seems I lose them. My only trouble is that I am unable to reliably replicate the problem as it is completely sporadic and across single player and multiplayer servers. So I have nothing for the bug tracker :/

Just today I was stripping my favorite ship which uses wireless extensively. I just can't tolerate having to reset it anymore.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Quite honestly, I've never been able to retain wireless connections since the system was introduced. I've seen countless fixes go through but it still seems I lose them. My only trouble is that I am unable to reliably replicate the problem as it is completely sporadic and across single player and multiplayer servers. So I have nothing for the bug tracker :/

Just today I was stripping my favorite ship which uses wireless extensively. I just can't tolerate having to reset it anymore.
    Wireless connections between two different entities or inside one entity?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Graphical errors are always a difficult issue. Because it most likely has to do with a combination of the setup the game is running on.
    Some other issues I ran in as well:

- Spawning in a completely different sector then the one I logged off as.
    - Jumping to a different sector when I use the up option to get unstuck.
    - Rails falling to activate for some reason. Restarting the universe fixes that.
    - Only being able to activate doors one block at a time. Restart fixes that as well.

It’s hard to pin down what causes it exactly. I’ll have to see if I can replicate it reliably.
    This is the kind of problem I encounter in my factory, I tried to expose it to the phabricator although my way is not at all consistent, I hope it will be taken into account.

Lag

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Wireless connections between two different entities or inside one entity?
    Sorry I should have clarified. Wireless entity between two different entities. The simplest example I have is a ship with a few docked entities with decorative lights. They are constantly getting unlinked. Sometimes when loading from a BP, leaving the sector, or leaving and returning from a single player game. Restarting doesn't seem to fix it, once they are unlinked they are just unlinked. It is so sporadic though and sometimes it only affects some wireless so I don't notice until it's long happened (or, of course, I get stuck in an elevator because the doors wont open.)

There are of course more useful things to do with wireless but that is the least complicated situation I've had.

Edit: Nevermind, according to ⚓ T280 Wireless logic and clocks of a blueprint saved from server to local folder not working it was moved to Beta so I'll just pretend it doesn't exist :P

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Trolling I
    Greetings citizens,

Last week, we learned of several exploits and how to reproduce them. To prevent further harm to servers, we've made a hotfix to address them. As a general security measure, we are also not going to list them here.

If you have any more information about other exploits, or that were only partially addressed, please report it here. Note that reported bugs are always private from the start and only a few Schine members are able to see them.

As mentioned in the last dev post, the power update is coming along swiftly, and will result in a dev build in about 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for playing StarMade,

~ the Schine Team
    Yeah, good job.
    Your last update broke the freakin rails.
    Keep up the good work.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Yeah, good job.
    Your last update broke the freakin rails.
    Keep up the good work.
    Anything more specific on this issue?
    Also, did you try to restart the client/server?

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Silver
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    What I sometimes notice is that entities on rails refuse to move. Even if the rails are pointing in the right direction. Logoff and login fixes it and the entities is now in the position it should have moved to. It’s not clear when this happens.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Anything more specific on this issue?
    Also, did you try to restart the client/server?

- Andy
    If I run into any issues with rails, I'll report them. Not sure I'll be working with rails for a bit though.

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    with the recent update to the chunk requester, the game has a lot more de-syncs now *hint hint* AndyP

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    with the recent update to the chunk requester, the game has a lot more de-syncs now *hint hint* AndyP
    The recent update on chunk requesting was on 7th of July. (~2 months ago)

Anything specific you noticed with it back then?
    Or describe the 'desync' a bit closer, as many parts of the game can go out of sync, but it does not really give a hint in such a general form. =)

- Andy

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    The recent update on chunk requesting was on 7th of July. (~2 months ago)

Anything specific you noticed with it back then?
    Or describe the 'desync' a bit closer, as many parts of the game can go out of sync, but it does not really give a hint in such a general form. =)

- Andy
    Here is a list(This is what I encountered):
    1. When checking weapon systems in weapon menu, sometimes computers loss their block count and/or percentage gone entirely
    2. Power regen goes to 1 e/sec
    (i'll post more de-sync errors when i get home.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I am curious what the status on StarMade getting sound effects is. I know it's been mentioned a few times in the past couple of years. What's holding that back?

Without them the game doesn't catter well to those who want to be the fighter role(mentioned in the end game documents). It's hard to be enjoy a battle if you can barely notice you're in it. People want to fly around hearing their missiles launch or lasers fire. Then hear that explosion from the missile that just hit them.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I am curious what the status on StarMade getting sound effects is. I know it's been mentioned a few times in the past couple of years. What's holding that back?

Without them the game doesn't catter well to those who want to be the fighter role(mentioned in the end game documents). It's hard to be enjoy a battle if you can barely notice you're in it. People want to fly around hearing their missiles launch or lasers fire. Then hear that explosion from the missile that just hit them.
    Danki is currently working on the soundtrack and sound effects, so there's a light at the end of the tunnel. He has some demos of the soundtrack on his thread.

Last edited:

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Here is a list(This is what I encountered):
    1. When checking weapon systems in weapon menu, sometimes computers loss their block count and/or percentage gone entirely
    2. Power regen goes to 1 e/sec
    (i'll post more de-sync errors when i get home.)
    Until now, we only know of this happening once after loading them.
    Usually when something in the initial conversion to the new format with meshes takes longer than it should.
    And to all tests and attempts to reproduce the situation, it did only happen once, and not persist over reloading the entity.

It could in theory also happen on blueprints and happen again then when the next copy of that blueprint is spawned, but we did not get hands on a blueprint yet, that could reliably reproduce this problem, so if you have a way to make this happen on purpose, or at least drastically increase the chance to trigger it, we would be glad to know about it.

- Andy

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    Usually when something in the initial conversion to the new format with meshes takes longer than it should.
    And to all tests and attempts to reproduce the situation, it did only happen once, and not persist over reloading the entity.

It could in theory also happen on blueprints and happen again then when the next copy of that blueprint is spawned, but we did not get hands on a blueprint yet, that could reliably reproduce this problem, so if you have a way to make this happen on purpose, or at least drastically increase the chance to trigger it, we would be glad to know about it.

- Andy
    I could just screen share my screen to ya and you'd see the evidence for yourself, usually, i'd have to log to main menu and 'clear client cache', which temporarily fixes this and refreshes the de-sync from before you left to make it work normally, until it may de-sync AGAIN and repeat the process.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score

- Andy
    I've found that with large semi-occluded objects on rails the "rail freeze" desync happens "somewhat often". That translates to "a matter of time each session" on one particular build. I'll horse around on my current build over the weekend and see if I can make trigger conditions more reliable than that.

for now i'll leave a general text description of what I noticed.
    -a "door frame opening" in the main entity covered by force-field blocks
    -4 docked "door panels" that rotate 45 degrees to iris open/closed over the frame
    -the docked "panels" are 1/4 slabs, the "pocket" in the "frame" is 1/2 or 3/4 slabs
    -door will operate normally untile freese occurs(possibly by re-loading occluded chunks during build?)
    -once freese occurs all rails on entity stop motion, although docking beams and pickup points work normally. additionally the large force-field block door will gain 2 square patches that stop cascading( rest of force-field blocks goes tangible/intangible as normal activating touching blocks)

it might be a collision-check error, but since ALL rails freese activity i'm not too sure. have not checked if it's server-wide, sector wide, or entity chain limited for rail failurw. I'll try to remember to make a couple floating rail-clocks around to verify that.

Reactions: JumpSuit