StarMade v0.199.429 - Combined blocks, new blocks, optimizations and fixes

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Awesome! Thanks for the Update Schine!

The meshing textures look amazing.... And corner lights!

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    We will do everything in our power to make unlimited penetration at least possible, although we do not know yet if it balances. We definitely will try it out if we can: Because the very premise is, that is is at the moment not completely possible due to the immense amount of block calculations it needs.
    There was a thread on eliminating individual block hp completely : Is individual block HP pointless? not 100% consensus but maybe useful? I'd assume not having to load the hp for the blocks you're hitting could cut this down a lot.

Not fully knowing the weapon damage mechanics, I suppose I would like to see it thus... The "hit" would be registered on the first block it hits. Secondary and tertiary effects would be applied and then moved on to the next block in line. Each block would have its own modifier depending on the situation. This chain of calculations would continue until the energy is zero
    The problem with this is that it makes armor really ineffective, since you can pile all the damage on a single block, armor needs to be hundreds of blocks thick in order to stop more serious weapons, which isnt possible.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    There was a thread on eliminating individual block hp completely : Is individual block HP pointless? not 100% consensus but maybe useful? I'd assume not having to load the hp for the blocks you're hitting could cut this down a lot.
    The hp aren't really the costly part of the calculations. it's more about removing possibly thousands of blocks in one go.

Reactions: Raisinbat
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Thanks for the update. Hopefully my game will run long enough for me to check this one out, I've been crashing out within 5 minutes every launch for the last 3 updates. I'll post back some info or make a bug report if it doesn't work now. I needed a break from the game anyways, but it's annoying when I want to play again and I can't.

Edit: I posted in support
    Game crashes after random amount of time

Last edited:
    Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hey, I've had an issue crop up seemingly after the last update. I tried submitting a bug report before making this post here, but the tool included with the game doesn't appear to be sending the bug report.

Essentially, there appears to be a threshold at which either the length of the ship I'm working on or the amount of blocks I'm attempting to add causes the game to crash. Here's what I typed up for the bug report:

After the most recent update, whenever I try extending my ship's length from 691 to 741 or more (I have not attempted to add blocks in a smaller increment than 50 in this dimension), the local server shuts down, presenting me with a blank screen and the message
    "WAITING FOR LOCAL SERVER TO SHUTDOWN..."
    upon attempted block placement. When this screen disappears, I am presented with a
    "Disconnect Exception
    You have been disconnected from the Server
    (either connection problem or server crash)
    ActualException: EOFException"
    And am given the options "CONTINUE" or "TO DESKTOP".
    Regardless of which option I choose, whenever I restart the game and try to place blocks, the issue repeats itself, and the ship does not have the blocks I attempted to place which seemingly caused the game to crash.

Reaction score
    hail saber, the pipe god :P glad to see him getting the limelight a bit

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Beam/Beams are still broken for me when firing at a target in a neighboring sector.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!

The problem with this is that it makes armor really ineffective, since you can pile all the damage on a single block, armor needs to be hundreds of blocks thick in order to stop more serious weapons, which isnt possible.
    Yeah, I get what you mean. I suppose as an "older gamer" who grew up on D&D and endless dice rolls, game balance was achieved by giving every weapon a "THAC0" or "To Hit Armour Class Zero". In the more physical environment of StarMade a hit is a hit, but a weapon of x power should cause y damage to whatever it hits. That damage energy is absorbed by the first block which could be shielded advanced armour for example. Each block would have a hp value and an absorption rating too. It could be as high as 99% so limited energy passes through the armour block, however, unshielded hull could have an absorption factor of 20% which would mean 80% of the original hit could be passed on to the next block.

The various tertiary effects would negate a portion of this absorption rating.

Just a thought.

Reaction score
    Give armor a negate damage value based on the blocks around it (double/triple thickness)
    May stop those waffling shots and start getting players to build bigger weapons

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Would like to note that this update seems to trigger a settings.cfg reset,
    This caused it to bork my install on linux with bug T1825, making the game unplayable.

What you'll see:
    Game crashes when you try to join a server it complaints about missing textures after loading.

How to fix it:
    Fix is to set your texturepack to default, that'll fix the rest of your configs(Do this before trying to join a game).

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    schema Random question, why are the version numbers stuck at v0.199.xxx? I could see that we're waiting for a very major change to move to v0.200.xxx, but if all the big changes are going to come in small parts as they have been so far, will there ever be a huge change like that? And if all else fails, why not move to a modified SemVer system with another dot:

v0.1.99.423, v0.1.100.xxx, v0.1.101.xxx... etc.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Dare I ask why there is already 4 updates since this one came out? What's changed in version(s)
    0.199.432a,
    and last but not least 0.199.432b?

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Dare I ask why there is already 4 updates since this one came out? What's changed in version(s)
    0.199.432a,
    and last but not least 0.199.432b?
    Hotfixes, which are listed in the news post StarMade News - Latest

• Fixed old templates being broken
    • Fixed door wedges being misaligned
    • Fixed Radial menu popping up when it shouldn't
    • Added default shape stickies
    • Fixed IME letter input not being registered
    • Fixed functionality to press keyboard numbers repeatedly to select sub-slots

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Hotfixes, which are listed in the news post StarMade News - Latest

• Fixed old templates being broken
    • Fixed door wedges being misaligned
    • Fixed Radial menu popping up when it shouldn't
    • Added default shape stickies
    • Fixed IME letter input not being registered
    • Fixed functionality to press keyboard numbers repeatedly to select sub-slots
    Awesome, thanks for the clarification. I guess I missed that part of the news post. (Shows how much I can read...)

Reactions: DukeofRealms
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hey, I've had an issue crop up seemingly after the last update. I tried submitting a bug report before making this post here, but the tool included with the game doesn't appear to be sending the bug report.

Essentially, there appears to be a threshold at which either the length of the ship I'm working on or the amount of blocks I'm attempting to add causes the game to crash. Here's what I typed up for the bug report:

After the most recent update, whenever I try extending my ship's length from 691 to 741 or more (I have not attempted to add blocks in a smaller increment than 50 in this dimension), the local server shuts down, presenting me with a blank screen and the message
    "WAITING FOR LOCAL SERVER TO SHUTDOWN..."
    upon attempted block placement. When this screen disappears, I am presented with a
    "Disconnect Exception
    You have been disconnected from the Server
    (either connection problem or server crash)
    ActualException: EOFException"
    And am given the options "CONTINUE" or "TO DESKTOP".
    Regardless of which option I choose, whenever I restart the game and try to place blocks, the issue repeats itself, and the ship does not have the blocks I attempted to place which seemingly caused the game to crash.
    I'd like to update this by saying that I no longer have this issue. Either via hotfixes pushed out or my reinstalling and updating my GPU driver today, the issue is thankfully gone, and I can continue work on my current project ship XD Thanks guys, and keep up the good work.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    But you have to fix the penetration model, so what do all these other changes matter when all the weapons will work differently later? You don't have to add the changes to the models, you could have an unstable version like most other early access games where these changes can get tested and get feedback.
    So...the dev build option in the lower left of the 1st launcher? I think they got that...

As far as i can tell this update just made beam weapons de-facto superior to cannons, made slow weapons worse than they already were, and made advanced armor even more terrible than it was yesterday (truly impressive that one!).
    Havn't yet, but I'm curious what full punch/piercing passives do to advanced armor now. Does it cause 120%(90% advanced + 30% passive) damage to get get shoved into the AHP-pool and zero actual block damage till exhausted? Is the 25% negation taken off this 120%? Does it cap somehow? It MIGHT have made passive-enhanced armor tanks REALLY effective. Dunno for sure & have to actually test...Have ya?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    Erm... So I am in station gravity.... I forgot to come out of it and stepped outside... Falling.... Yeah! Yeah! ... Falling! ... Falling! ... Erm... Why am I not coming out of the effect? ... Yeah! I'm STILL falling! ... Over 20km from the sectors (and I have the default sector sizes on my single player world!!!) ... Just checked...STILL FALLING!!!!

OK.... Admin Warp to where I was... There is the station! Yay! ... Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! SSSTTTIIILLLLLL FFFAAALLLLLLIIINNNGGG!!!!!!!!

Death! Respawn! Off to try again...No... Seems to be just a glitch! PHEW!!!

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I'd like to update this by saying that I no longer have this issue. Either via hotfixes pushed out or my reinstalling and updating my GPU driver today, the issue is thankfully gone, and I can continue work on my current project ship XD Thanks guys, and keep up the good work.
    Yes, that issue was resolved with version 432b (or 432a).

Reactions: wizerdwolf
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Lancake I'm still having the issue where when I load in some blueprints, they will load up the location of the core(s) but never actually render any ship. After a given amount of time (feels like ~60s) the game de-spawns the entity icons. Currently running 432b

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Thank you for this great update. But I found the problem. Can not mining Macet. In place Macet appears Hattel.