StarMade v0.199.429 - Combined blocks, new blocks, optimizations and fixes

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Why particularly do you want the slider? I can't think of many reasons to go back to it.
    I use the slider on a regular basis, it's become habit for me to have it. Though I'm sure I could adapt to not need it it was a great feature that I don't think was worth removing.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I use the slider on a regular basis, it's become habit for me to have it. Though I'm sure I could adapt to not need it it was a great feature that I don't think was worth removing.
    The problem with the slider is that you can't access slabs in astronaut mode and it requires a ton of extra mouse movement to set and change. Now it's super fast. It does take a bit longer to scroll through the bar though. I don't keep any shape off.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    The problem with the slider is that you can't access slabs in astronaut mode and it requires a ton of extra mouse movement to set and change. Now it's super fast. It does take a bit longer to scroll through the bar though. I don't keep any shape off.
    Can we have both, maybe? That'd be a good compromise. I haven't been able to test the new one so I can't judge how good or bad it is, but I think that it could be possible.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    it takes many more clicks and much more time to access the new system for slabs.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    it takes many more clicks and much more time to access the new system for slabs.
    Not if you sticky the blocks.

I can say this with confidence, it takes a noticeably shorter amount of time to use the new system over the old system.

Just have to break the habit of attempting to use the slider.

If it is not clear, because I have seen others mention it, right mouse click the blocks in the "more" radial menu, don't left click. Right clicking stickies them. You'll never have to use that menu again if you don't want to. I am pretty sure that the latest hotfix made most shapes stickied to the hotbar by default with the exception of the slabs.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    ~ Fixed Beams not being able to hit objects in other sectors
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Time to go back and un-cannon and un-missile every blueprint I've ever made since buying this game.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    just to let you guys know the grate blocks for some reason have a full blocks hit box. I cant even get close to it to use it as a handrail. also light bars have no hit boxes at all. Is this intentional?
    starmade-screenshot-1326.png

Reaction score
    Hello players,

a new version has been released. Read the full news here:

StarMade News - StarMade v0.199.429 - Combined blocks, new blocks, optimizations and fixes

**Edit**
    Here is the update video, which explains the new shape selection much better.

Thanks for playing StarMade,
    - schema and the Schine Team
    I'm afraid that you have now BROKEN smedit.

any blueprints I save to the blueprints folder from smedit end up like this.

brokenship.png.jpg
    I am pleased with the improvements, however the fact smedit no longer works correctly is a massive blow to this game.

I've previously asked on youtube if an official converter is in the works, as we already have an exporter for ships. I was told it was not a priority and that smedit still works.

Well now smedit doesn't work is it going to move up the priority list?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius

View attachment 37730
    I am pleased with the improvements, however the fact smedit no longer works correctly is a massive blow to this game.

I've previously asked on youtube if an official converter is in the works, as we already have an exporter for ships. I was told it was not a priority and that smedit still works.

No it is likely not going to move up the priority list. Smedit is a great tool, and I am sure if there is something Schema or Smedit's developer can do to ensure the blueprints work, they will, however we are building a game. Not a 3d model importer. There are dozens of features that need to make their way into the game before we are comfortable working on a tool that is used by a minority of the playerbase.

Try rolling back your version of StarMade and spawn the ships. Get in them, save them as new blueprints and then update the game. This should ensure that imports are in line with whatever changes have happened to your imports.

Reaction score

View attachment 37730

SMEdit was already broken.

Use Vox2sm3 to import instead.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    just to let you guys know the grate blocks for some reason have a full blocks hit box. I cant even get close to it to use it as a handrail. also light bars have no hit boxes at all. Is this intentional?
    View attachment 37729
    Saber might comment further, but its known and they will get a more appropriate hit box.

Reaction score
    GhoulSroud it does not make the game unplayable. press the number of the block you want to place until the block is selected, or until you get to the plus multislot sign then press LMB. Come on now you are playing a game meant to make your mind work.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    At first I was stumped but I now have all the shapes AND slabs in one convenient stack. Does mean more scrolling to get to the next stack or several stacks along but I am getting used to using the number keys more than I used to and it's fine!.

Yes, there are a few glitches like the hit boxes and the fact the grate blocks don't mirror properly with symmetry.

I have also noticed that if you hit V on the shop block you cannot deselect it and the game crashes. I don't know if it was just "one of those things" or if it is a genuine bug that has been found already?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    IMO? Good.
    I don't like smedit, takes all the creativity away to just import somebody else's 3D model. Get in there and build your own stuff!

And thank you Developer Jeebus for consolidating the blocks!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    IMO? Good.
    I don't like smedit, takes all the creativity away to just import somebody else's 3D model. Get in there and build your own stuff!

And thank you Developer Jeebus for consolidating the blocks!
    I don't agree, personally. Yes, SMEDIT may be a cheap way of getting a hull done, but not everyone uses it this way. I use it as a template- I SMEDIT a hull, load it in, and dock my build to it so that both are aligned and even to each other and I build, by hand, my version of the hull how I see it. The SMEDIT is simply a tool to use as a guilde- to show me the basic form that my build will take.

Other people are just not good at building things, and an smedit basic hull allows them the room they need to build their own ideas.

There are plenty of reasons to like or dislike the tool, but a blatant "Pull yourself up by your bootstraps" approach isn't really needed. People's work matters to them, how they get their start isn't really important, and it is unfortunate that a tool that so many people use doesn't work anymore.

Reaction score
    IMO? Good.
    Shouldn't assume people using SMEdit are importing other people's models.

Some of us create our own models, and import them. No less creative, just using a different tool for the job.

I think there's plenty of room in the game for people who don't want to design their own hulls anyway.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Ok, I dislike the new block system as it is now. I have a couple suggestions to make it better.

We have the old blocks still being listed which makes for a number of clicks or mouse rolls. Just add the multi-block button and get rid of all the other shapes listed over the scroll bar, OR get rid of the new multi-block button and add the slabs into the list over the scroll bar. Simpler than two systems fighting over the same space IMO. (Yes, I know people asked for both, it's ridiculous)

Also, right clicking a block from the rotary menu only stickies that block until you change scroll bar positions, then you have to re-sticky it. Make the sticky-ing of blocks persistent at least. IE: I have a slab on scroll bar slot one, I press two to use a full different block, I press one to go back to my slab and have to re-sticky it. This is super annoying. A stickied block that doesnt stay stickied is worthless.

Everything else is nice, love the new grate and lightbar(and toggle-ability of light bars).