Game crashes after random amount of time

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Ok, my game seems to randomly crash after spending at least 5-10 minutes in game. It happens in the Steam version and the stand alone client so I assume it's on my end. Both have different memory amounts allocated, 4gb to stand alone, 6gb to steam. It happens in every world on both clients. It happens if I am moving, sitting still, in a core, in astronaut mode, in build mode. I have used the included java as well as the newest versions. Has happened since game version v0.199.349 through the current version. Most times I have to manually turn my PC off and restart to get it to respond. Rarely CTRL+ALT+DEL till work and I can end task through task manager. In those instances, it says java is still working normally, but the game appears to be completely unresponsive. Ive waited between 5 mins and 25 mins for it to respond. No GPU crash is reported, even if the hotkeys work. All my other games, including minecraft, work properly with no issues. All other programs function normally. Single player mode only.

The actual occurrence:
    There appears to be a slight jump in the screen before both monitors go black, then the window comes to the top, all whited out and the desktop returns on my second monitor. The PC is usually 100% unresponsive after that(no hotkeys, nothing), in most cases ending in physically turning off the PC.

PC= Asus 990fx mobo, FX-8120 cpu, 8gb kingston ram, WD hdd 1tb, R270x 2gb gpu, win 10 pro.

Steam client docs attached, if anything else is needed, just ask.

Attachments

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Seems like you're lagging out. 'Waiting for pong' response from local server. Strange. therimmer96 how did you go about fixing this?

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    The black screen with "sometimes" desktop coming back Sounds like GPU threaad crash.
    Check your windows event log for anything around that/those timestamps. How to Use Event Viewer in Windows 10 - dummies
    Double-check your thermals (Baked anything acts weird.)
    Run a ram test. To be 100% sure you don't have a bad cell (they develop through wear & tear, and RANDOM memory failure is a good source of halts, with statistical grouping making "one program" seem like the only one that does it) USUALLY this would result in blue-screen-of-death, but can do otherwise if it's in the right part of the page. Not a win10 expert yet so take that bit of info with salt.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Memory check came out fine. There is a radeon "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered" warning that seems to coincide with it in the event viewer.

I tried disabling the ultra low power state through MSI afterburner, fingers crossed. I remembered having issues with dual monitors when I first installed win 7 and having to do this for a similar issue. Maybe something about recent amd drivers has triggered issues with this on win 10 or with my card and the game.

Edit: If this doesn't work, I'll just backup all my worlds and clear off the multiple installs I have done playing around with this and reinstall with fresh stock settings and configs. I'll admit, I have done a bit of editing, and I'm not the most knowledgeable at that stuff, but I can follow directions.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Memory check came out fine. There is a radeon "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered" warning that seems to coincide with it in the event viewer.

I tried disabling the ultra low power state through MSI afterburner, fingers crossed. I remembered having issues with dual monitors when I first installed win 7 and having to do this for a similar issue. Maybe something about recent amd drivers has triggered issues with this on win 10 or with my card and the game.

Edit: If this doesn't work, I'll just backup all my worlds and clear off the multiple installs I have done playing around with this and reinstall with fresh stock settings and configs. I'll admit, I have done a bit of editing, and I'm not the most knowledgeable at that stuff, but I can follow directions.
    Is framebuffer on or off?
    Really check out your GPU's heat & under load. Consider air-cleaning heatsinks etc(especially if you havn't in a while)
    Check if something like GPUtest or furmark can replicate it, or find artifacts.
    Consider driver uninstall/reinstall with dependencies.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Framebuffer is ON.

I just used furmark recently(last month) for some other reason, can't remember what it was, but everything went fine. The problem was already occurring by then as well.

Gpu is actually heating less than when I run Planetside2 or War Thunder. Mid 120's up to almost 145 for War Thunder(Fahrenheit). It's also fairly clean at the moment. Edit: Make that mid 130's for StarMade on GPU temp.

I got a crash in my game last night from low memory, and I have 6 gb allocated atm. This is the first time I have received a warning prior to the game locking up. This occurred after disabling ultra low power state, before that, the game just crashed with no warning. However, the world I was in has a 1km carrier I'm building with a tremendous amount of docking. I am going to try to replicate the crash in an empty world like it was doing before.

Lmao, it just happened while typing this. Empty world, just the NPC's running around. Game locked up in under 5 minutes. Didn't lock up PC this time. Got a "Java Platform SE Binary is not responding" warning this time as well. Untitled.png

I will try to reinstall radeon drivers and try again later. If that doesn't work, and a clean install of the game doesn't do it, I think I might just reinstall Win7.

Edit2: Ok, so I turned the framebuffer off. I went into the empty world and let it sit for about 30 mins, same thing. Slight screen jump, game stops responding. The upside is, after disabling ULPS, my PC doesn't lock up when this happens now.

Untitled1.png Untitled2.png The two display warnings and the application-hang are the result of each game crash.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Ok, so I did a clean install of radeon drivers. Now when the game crashes I am getting a system notification that the system has restored WATTMAN to default settings. I'm assuming that is Radeon watt management program for gfx card? Derp, I know what it is.

Last edited:

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    MMM the OC guys are saying up to 75c is operating range for them. So mid 60's does seem reasonable.

Found a few things for wattmann, most of it is "avira(antivirus) screws it up", "144Hz is doing it, drop to 60Hz is a fix", and "uninstall completely and restart before reinstalling" AMD Clean Uninstall Utility from support.amd.com

If that doesn't fix it...

More serious power diagnostic would be my next step.
    What's your PSU?
    Does your motherboard let you control how it responds to power settings? Do you have an over/underclocking software set to some form of "auto"? voltage&heat Logging software?(more heat needs stable higher voltage to function properly. Ohms and heat and all that.) Apparently wattman can help you with this... How to use AMD's WattMan, the powerful new overclocking tool for Radeon graphics cards

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I think I have it fixed. I did the clean reinstall of the radeon drivers earlier, but I did a clean install of the game too after backing up my worlds. After toning down the stock settings slightly in the game menu and slightly underclocking my card through the radeon settings(Wattman/AMD Overdrive), turning its voltage up slightly, running the game in fullscreen mode, I have been playing for hours waiting on a crash.

I still get in-game warnings about the game trying to catch up, but only when NPCs are spawning. I think my system just doesn't play well with the NPC update at all. No other game or programs is giving me any trouble. I have yet to try my carrier world, it's probably too much to handle right now. Guess I'm going to build small and hope for more optimization.

Here's what happens when you play with small things waiting for crashes:
    starmade-screenshot-0002.png

I can't remember who made it originally, but the new bars look great on the wingtips. I'm greatful my game works for now, thanks for the help!

Edit: and yes, I'm running Avira, go figure. It doesn't seem to play well with things.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    If npcs are bothering you, you can always turn them down/off in the config...

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    that, and concurrent and such. they're fairly self explanatory in the npc section of your world options.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Lol, I forgot they included all that in the game menus now. Here I am editing the config file like a troglodyte.