StarMade v0.199.349 - NPC Faction Update

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    I, after playing a lot of games since 1990 ... I have to say that starmade has a great potential, combines many aspects that have made other games great, total freedom to go wherever you want, total freedom to build both spaceships And space stations, with few (logical) blocks infinite possibilities to make incredible creations and now, thanks to the recent NPC update, these possibilities become bigger and bigger ...
    Raisinbat You mentioned the freelancer game, for me, starmade is a mixture of the best of that game and minecraft, but do not get confused, starmade is unique, any other similarity is an inexpensive copy.
    So far we can definitely agree, except...

Like all games, these have things to polish, things to solve, changes that have to happen, new content to add, and of course, things that are better than players "do not know at the moment" because that would take away all the emotion ... this is the only game that I see that the developers are committed to the players, listen to them, take into consideration their opinions (whether good or bad) and do everything possible to make this game, day by day, Better for all.
    They've tried to fix these issues; the powercap raise, the thrust reballance and the auxilliary power update- all of which made the game worse, it didn't stop docked power, it didn't fix the problems with ship sizes, all it did was make all old ships obsolete. Given schine's past history, what reason do we have to assume that they'll be capable of fixing it? They don't seem to be aware of how the game currently works, nor do they seem to know how they want it to work.

I think this is your first early access game, because schine are NOT listening. Not to to playerbase, not even to the council. Bugs are left in the game for YEARS without being fixed and blatant ballancing issues that are just updating a cfg file are left around just as long. Speaking off:

I love how professional the devs for this game are, hats off to you guys for being actively involved with the community. And what an awesome update, I can't wait to see what features are cranked out in the future. Hail Skooma!! :schema:
    What the fuck is this involvement? They just posted an update, that's not being involved, get that bucket off your head.
    [/QUOTE]

WAAAAAAAAAH YOU CAN'T COMPLAIN ABOUT THE DOUGH WHEN THE CAKE ISN'T BAKED YET
    I can when there's shit in it.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    I can when there's shit in it.
    This isn't a cake, it's a game. I would have thought you could tell the difference, but eh.

What exactly are you arguing Raisin? All you seem to be doing is rudely spouting the same rhetoric you do on the forums. Seriously, if you have a problem with the game, don't whinge about it here, doing so helps nothing. If you do feel compelled to be on the forums at least try and be respectful to other people. Common courtesy goes a long way.

Also, don't put words in my mouth unless you'd like the same done to you.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I can work with this. Thank you.
    There is a clear variety of ships with different purposes
    Yes. And I think a number of us in the dev team certainly want this to become a reality. I will explain the problems in a second.

Building transport ships is irrelevant because cargo space is so cheap a tiny freighter can carry around a ship 5x it's size in it's cargohold.
    I suspect your suggestion would be to limit the resources a cargo block can hold? I have yet to see how many trade ships are used with the current update, or how full they are per trade. When I do, I am sure to make some adjustments.

completely inefficient to have multiple systems that aren't online all the time
    While it may be completely inefficient, how does this differ from other games. I suppose cooldowns are used more often in say EVE, which you referenced. But you are also sure to see many systems online at the same time if you have the capacitor to support them. I do not want every system online at once. I am sure the others agree that having defensive effects, weapons, and overdrive on at the same time is not how we want players playing the game. At the same time, I see videos from (suposedly) good players drawing too much power for just one item, and rendering them incapable of activating everything at once. I need a general consensus that this is how gameplay operates. Not just from you. People in this thread reading our conversation will have to agree or disagree that what you say happens, is happening. It isn't as easy as tweaking a number. That number affects multiple playestyles and every unique ship out there.

Because of the hull damage model, you need to waffle slowfiring weapons to ridiculous amounts, and they take up many times their own size in power capacitors or they can't fire at all.
    So what I am gathering from this as that this type of weapon should not exist? Should we increase the penalty for multi-barrel guns? The requirement of a massive capacitor makes sense to me. It is overkill, but that's how that particular player wants to deal damage. Is it too much damage? Is it too easy to make this weapon? Is this what players gravitate towards?

built to perform some function
    You will have surely noticed that we are now classifying ships into specific roles. For now, it determines what ships spawn for NPC fleets/stations, and nothing else. However, in the future we can push for more individuality between ships. Through either your personal progression in the game, or through NPC crew, or relatively undetermined features such as research we can create a system that gives unique purpose to ships and their roles. This direction is a certainty, it is just a matter of "how?". We could give ships modifiers, but is that fair? We could require NPC crew for ship specializations, but will that work on different scales? Another option is to simply select a role for the ship right then and there, but then we need to avoid exploits. I will admit that we have not got an answer to making ships have specific roles just yet. They AI also wouldn't back any of that at the moment and so it is pointless with regards to PVE as it stands. Hopefully the introduction of those roles with this update is an indication that we do indeed want that diversity.

these white knights swarm the threads and either derail with a bunch of nonsense or chastise the posters for not supporting the developers
    Sure, but if they agreed with you, they would just state that they agree with you. This is why I am skeptical with regards to your comments. I will listen. But I can't listen to one person alone. You consistently appear on these threads with criticisms. If a large majority or at least a vocal majority are talking against you, your points, or simply not agreeing with what you say, you stand as the odd one out. I hope you understand.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    Ok ok .. calm down everyone, please, you could expose the facts that would make you, starmade be a better game ... I have played EVE online for years, and I know what you mean by making the ships And systems Thereof are "performs for some functions"; Please, put the things that you would like to change or be added, everything can be talked :)

Reaction score
    What the fuck is this involvement? They just posted an update, that's not being involved, get that bucket off your head.
    Bruh... The devs don't have to respond to negative posts... They could just let you be mad, alone, instead of trying to explain themselves. I'd take that as involvement any day [caring about and addressing the concerns of players].

Reaction score
    Sooo.... Now back to some other questions about the update... :rolleyes:

Can you explain more about the resources of a sector? I don't quite understand the mechanics... Before the update sectors would replenish resources - will that not happen now, or only if you totally mine out a sector? And, is that for all players, or just NPCs (thus forcing expansion...)?

Thanks again for the great work!

Reaction score
    I was scrolling trough facebook and saw this message pop up. I was like YEEEESSSSSS!!
    One quick question though: is this update going to cost any more RAM because my computer can hardly support this game anymore as it is now.

Reaction score
    I'm also feeling a bit confused about how resources (asteroids) are being handled in regards to consumption/replenishment. It was sounding like a system can be completely 'consumed' by an NPC Faction... but then it's still being replenished? It feels like a contradiction.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I'm also feeling a bit confused about how resources (asteroids) are being handled in regards to consumption/replenishment. It was sounding like a system can be completely 'consumed' by an NPC Faction... but then it's still being replenished? It feels like a contradiction.
    I believe, What they mean is that they can outpace the replenish rate of the system. So an NPC faction consumption > asteroid replacement.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    I suspect your suggestion would be to limit the resources a cargo block can hold? I have yet to see how many trade ships are used with the current update, or how full they are per trade. When I do, I am sure to make some adjustments.
    Look at the lack of transport ships too; when cargo is this cheap to transport, there's just no point in dedicated transport ships, because you can easily fit most transport loads on a combat ship.

While it may be completely inefficient, how does this differ from other games. I suppose cooldowns are used more often in say EVE, which you referenced. But you are also sure to see many systems online at the same time if you have the capacitor to support them. I do not want every system online at once. I am sure the others agree that having defensive effects, weapons, and overdrive on at the same time is not how we want players playing the game.
    It's a relief hearing that from you.

In other games you have limited power available; this is true for every single space combat game i know. One major difference between them and starmade is that thrusters do not consume power. Because thrusters consume power, ships MUST be fitted with extremely high power regen in order to move. It's this excessively high regen that comes at virtually zero cost that's the source of how so few styles can work, along with the lack of a proper battery system. Because of the power generation, even if you're a good guy and stick with auxilliary power, capacitor blocks only handle 20 seconds of generation. Since engagements in starmade last several minutes that timeframe is too small to matter, even the deudliest firearms won't break another ship's shields in 20 seconds, and you're always better off with more generation while keeping capacity to a bare minimum.

At the same time, I see videos from (suposedly) good players drawing too much power for just one item, and rendering them incapable of activating everything at once. I need a general consensus that this is how gameplay operates. Not just from you. People in this thread reading our conversation will have to agree or disagree that what you say happens, is happening. It isn't as easy as tweaking a number. That number affects multiple playestyles and every unique ship out there.
    If they're doing that they're either not good players or they're just making mistakes. Effective designs run everything all the time, because systems that aren't active are just dead weight, and they're much more expensive to add than more power. If you have a ship with an ion gun for shields, and an explosive gun for armor, why not simply combine them into an explosive gun that's twice as large, as it can handle shields as well as the old ion gun and is twice as good against armor?

As for general consensus, look how this thread goes. You can piss most of these people in the mouth and they'll ask for seconds, because they're white knights. All games have these scurrying around, they don't operate in terms of what is good or bad for the game, they just defend princess schine from anything that would "attack" the princess, like my insidious hatred.

Then there are roleplayers and cosmetic builders, who don't really care about mechanics, but have a vested interest in keeping the game as it is, so their old builds aren't all rendered obsolete.

Of course you shouldn't just listen to me, or to any random idiot on the forums for that matter, but those of us complaining about these issues are pretty heavily outnumbered by the rest. A lot of us have left, and we have to deal with assholes like Calhoun who has nothing to say other than OMG IT'S ALPHA U GUISE NO MEAN!!!

Please listen to the arguments, the reason these things don't work come down to math, opinion doesn't matter.

So what I am gathering from this as that this type of weapon should not exist? Should we increase the penalty for multi-barrel guns? The requirement of a massive capacitor makes sense to me. It is overkill, but that's how that particular player wants to deal damage. Is it too much damage? Is it too easy to make this weapon? Is this what players gravitate towards?
    Players gravitate towards what works. Fast firing weapons categorically outclass slow firing weapons, even if we'd like to see others in use, we're not going to handicap ourselves by using inferior weapons.

What you should be doing is removing the power penalty for waffling and making a better damage model for cannons and beams. And stop trying to handicap beams by making their damage pattern terrible, we'll just circumvent it by waffling them at 150 damage, before the split happens, and they're awesome at slicing through armor. Capacitors are also horribly underpowered, which they need to be, because if they worked reasonably well everyone would be using ships that can kill in one massive alpha attack. This is why the power system needs to be overhauled, regen needs to be scaled back and we need a battery like power system that has extremely high capacity, but limited output speed.

You will have surely noticed that we are now classifying ships into specific roles. For now, it determines what ships spawn for NPC fleets/stations, and nothing else. However, in the future we can push for more individuality between ships. Through either your personal progression in the game, or through NPC crew, or relatively undetermined features such as research we can create a system that gives unique purpose to ships and their roles. This direction is a certainty, it is just a matter of "how?". We could give ships modifiers, but is that fair? We could require NPC crew for ship specializations, but will that work on different scales? Another option is to simply select a role for the ship right then and there, but then we need to avoid exploits. I will admit that we have not got an answer to making ships have specific roles just yet. They AI also wouldn't back any of that at the moment and so it is pointless with regards to PVE as it stands. Hopefully the introduction of those roles with this update is an indication that we do indeed want that diversity.
    But those are designations are totally ARBITRARY. There is no FUNCTIONAL distinction, because as i've already pointed out, all combat ships must be fast firing and constantly engaged, or they suck. What makes a transport ship good? Capacity? That's not an issue, because it's so cheap. Speed? They're all small and easy to get to max speed, and there's nothing you can do about cargo transfer rates, and no types of cargo requiring special storage, like irradiated cargo or spoiling food...

For that matter, what makes a good carrier? They're just glorified transports for hauling fighters around, and you might as well just stick a jump drive on the fighters and then the carrier is completely irrelevant.

Same with miners, combat ships... anything really, there isn't any room for making these things work differently.

It's an indication of you wanting diversity, but if this is how you plan on achieving it, then we're not adding that diversity through ship design, you've added it and we just build inside the box.

Sure, but if they agreed with you, they would just state that they agree with you. This is why I am skeptical with regards to your comments. I will listen. But I can't listen to one person alone. You consistently appear on these threads with criticisms. If a large majority or at least a vocal majority are talking against you, your points, or simply not agreeing with what you say, you stand as the odd one out. I hope you understand.
    That's because everyone going against these fuckers get yelled into submission, and admins like you always back them up because i'm MEAN.

If you've actually read what i posted, how can you dispute the systems aren't a complete mess? If a weapon is 160 times worse than another weapon you've fucked up massively.

Oh neat i just got a trolling warning; what fucking part of this discussion is trolling??? This is why noone will fucking tell you your game is shit.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Look at the lack of transport ships too; when cargo is this cheap to transport, there's just no point in dedicated transport ships, because you can easily fit most transport loads on a combat ship.

It's a relief hearing that from you.

In other games you have limited power available; this is true for every single space combat game i know. One major difference between them and starmade is that thrusters do not consume power. Because thrusters consume power, ships MUST be fitted with extremely high power regen in order to move. It's this excessively high regen that comes at virtually zero cost that's the source of how so few styles can work, along with the lack of a proper battery system. Because of the power generation, even if you're a good guy and stick with auxilliary power, capacitor blocks only handle 20 seconds of generation. Since engagements in starmade last several minutes that timeframe is too small to matter, even the deudliest firearms won't break another ship's shields in 20 seconds, and you're always better off with more generation while keeping capacity to a bare minimum.

If they're doing that they're either not good players or they're just making mistakes. Effective designs run everything all the time, because systems that aren't active are just dead weight, and they're much more expensive to add than more power. If you have a ship with an ion gun for shields, and an explosive gun for armor, why not simply combine them into an explosive gun that's twice as large, as it can handle shields as well as the old ion gun and is twice as good against armor?

As for general consensus, look how this thread goes. You can piss most of these people in the mouth and they'll ask for seconds, because they're white knights. All games have these scurrying around, they don't operate in terms of what is good or bad for the game, they just defend princess schine from anything that would "attack" the princess, like my insidious hatred.

Then there are roleplayers and cosmetic builders, who don't really care about mechanics, but have a vested interest in keeping the game as it is, so their old builds aren't all rendered obsolete.

Of course you shouldn't just listen to me, or to any random idiot on the forums for that matter, but those of us complaining about these issues are pretty heavily outnumbered by the rest. A lot of us have left, and we have to deal with assholes like Calhoun who has nothing to say other than OMG IT'S ALPHA U GUISE NO MEAN!!!

Please listen to the arguments, the reason these things don't work come down to math, opinion doesn't matter.

Players gravitate towards what works. Fast firing weapons categorically outclass slow firing weapons, even if we'd like to see others in use, we're not going to handicap ourselves by using inferior weapons.

What you should be doing is removing the power penalty for waffling and making a better damage model for cannons and beams. And stop trying to handicap beams by making their damage pattern terrible, we'll just circumvent it by waffling them at 150 damage, before the split happens, and they're awesome at slicing through armor. Capacitors are also horribly underpowered, which they need to be, because if they worked reasonably well everyone would be using ships that can kill in one massive alpha attack. This is why the power system needs to be overhauled, regen needs to be scaled back and we need a battery like power system that has extremely high capacity, but limited output speed.

But those are designations are totally ARBITRARY. There is no FUNCTIONAL distinction, because as i've already pointed out, all combat ships must be fast firing and constantly engaged, or they suck. What makes a transport ship good? Capacity? That's not an issue, because it's so cheap. Speed? They're all small and easy to get to max speed, and there's nothing you can do about cargo transfer rates, and no types of cargo requiring special storage, like irradiated cargo or spoiling food...

For that matter, what makes a good carrier? They're just glorified transports for hauling fighters around, and you might as well just stick a jump drive on the fighters and then the carrier is completely irrelevant.

Same with miners, combat ships... anything really, there isn't any room for making these things work differently.

It's an indication of you wanting diversity, but if this is how you plan on achieving it, then we're not adding that diversity through ship design, you've added it and we just build inside the box.

That's because everyone going against these fuckers get yelled into submission, and admins like you always back them up because i'm MEAN.

If you've actually read what i posted, how can you dispute the systems aren't a complete mess? If a weapon is 160 times worse than another weapon you've fucked up massively.

Oh neat i just got a trolling warning; what fucking part of this discussion is trolling??? This is why noone will fucking tell you your game is shit.
    For crying out loud Raisin, I actually thought you were going to have a rational discussion till you went off again!

I hate saying it (again) but honestly it IS a pre-alpha. We're still getting the base features down pat. For what it's worth, you are right, but I do believe that the things you're talking about will come later, when the game has had a bit more of a foundation laid. But seriously, if you just presented your arguments without the insults and dumb stuff, you'd have more people supporting you!

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    For crying out loud Raisin, I actually thought you were going to have a rational discussion till you went off again!
    If you want a rational discussion, you could've posted a counter argument, or anything other than "Stop crying it's beta lol". I know what an alpha is, i've been in several alphas before, but when alphas continue ignoring glaring flaws and prance on happily it never leads to anything good.

We're still getting the base features down pat. For what it's worth, you are right, but I do believe that the things you're talking about will come later, when the game has had a bit more of a foundation laid.
    I don't care who supports me, i just want the game to not end up like starbound. Why do you assume they'll fix the game; they've atttempted this several times before, so they have been trying to fix it, but failed. As Criss shows, they don't know how to fix this! Hell they don't even seem to know what the problem is.

Starbound was in alpha too, but they kept piling on irrelevant features like beachballs and pokemons instead of fixing what people had problems with. They NEVER fixed the problems, they're still in the game now at 1.2, why would starmade be any different, and more importantly, why do you dismis people who bring these problems up? Chriss also points out that they want to hear from people when there's something wrong, yet people in these forums pile on everyone who makes these claims; not just me.

There's no explanation from schine for why these changes were so poorly implemented, or what they plan on doing in the future. What is the reason for trusting them?

But seriously, if you just presented your arguments without the insults and dumb stuff, you'd have more people supporting you!
    I did not start any insults. I did not start any personal attacks, and i'm (trying to) address people's arguments. You dismissed me completely and stormwing told me not to say anything negative unless i'm a professional game developer, yet i'm the one who got flagged for trolling. Excuse me if i'm not being the avatar of discourse here, but every time someone posts any kind of criticism we get mauled by the white knights, and we're just expected to nod and smile? Fuck that.

Reactions: Exozen
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    First, I do not never consider myself a "white knight", I express my opinion like others about the game that I love play, if I see something I do not like, I also say it... not everything is expressed in black or white ... the gray area Is where the substance is ... the extremes are that .. extremes.

Second, what you are proposing here is, somehow, make the constructions of the players have a clear classification (you know, tank, DPS, healer, miner, transporter) which would give the game a major change, and I must give you The reason, I would love to see in the game a greater "differentiation" between possible ships (as you mentioned before the game EVE online has) ... but that is a double-edged sword ... The player does not seek to build a spaceship with a definite purpose ... it is the circumstances that define their purpose ...If a player wants to use his ship to mine asteroids, battle with pirates and transport their resources ... I think it would be a mistake to tell that player that he can not do it, it would be limiting his creativity and, therefore, his desire to continue playing limited by A class system.

Third, instead of saying everything the game does not have or do not like, expose your suggestions with "a moderate language" (keep in mind that there are lesser people playing) and make your proposals heard, ask the rest of the people, do See to others that your suggestions and propositions can add something positive.

If the man had backed down saying that he could never fly ... we would not have planes and we would never have reached the moon.
    I´m sorry if anything cant be understand, i must use google translator and Do not take it bad Raisinbat, i respect and take in count your opinion :)

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    because you can easily fit most transport loads on a combat ship.
    Does the weight of cargo not slow a ship down enough? I would think you would prefer to use a dedicated cargo ship instead of a combat ship since the weight slows it down. That can be changed of course. I just saw a cargo ship transporting stuff and it was vastly under-used. I will agree that cargo capacity needs to be reduced per cargo block. Even for small trades, my small Trading Guild freighters should be nearly full.

Effective designs run everything all the time, because systems that aren't active are just dead weight,
    I was under the assumption we wanted to avoid that. Or are you simply pointing it out? I would like to get to a point where regardless of how well you can build, you can not have a full hotbar active all at once, and I mean 9 items, not 3 or 4. I have so far only built ships for the game under 150 meters. Some of them can't power everything at once, despite my best attempts. Other ships can power their 3 or 4 items at the same time. This will be a tough thing to figure out. Much as we might have to break ships, I would prefer not to. Fixing the system in one place will certainly break it for someone else.

If we fix something and it breaks elsewhere, have we actually made progress?

Fast firing weapons categorically outclass slow firing weapons
    What do you propose we do to fix slow firing weapons? Should they be more devastating? As I understand it, DPS is the same, no matter the fire rate, so long as the ratio and block count with the secondary system is the same. I could be wrong, and if I am is the difference in DPS noteworthy? Additionally, fast firing weapons outclass slow ones for it's ease of use. Players cannot rely on any sort of targeting or tracking when using weapons themselves. I imagine if there was a sort of target lead or something then slow firing weapons would get a boost.

regen needs to be scaled back and we need a battery like power system that has extremely high capacity, but limited output speed.
    So you want to limit how often you can access you power capacity? Wouldn't scaling regen back alone solve that issue? If regen was so low, that using a number of systems at once kept you relatively depleted then you have achieved the same thing correct? I am fine with the concept. I have a feeling systems like that would push players towards alpha weapons more, or the complete opposite end where they make weapons so weak as to not draw any power (doubtful). It's a bold suggestion. Also, do you think we could achieve this change without breaking ships? How do we balance this with weapons?

But those are designations are totally ARBITRARY
    I acknowledged this in the post. I stated there were options for how to use it in the future, not now.

For that matter, what makes a good carrier
    Well what makes a good carrier? Would this require small ships be incapable of supporting Jump Drives? I would be okay with this I suppose. Scale, classifications, and the like are all subjective though. In an attempt to allow players to build what they want, it means we do not restrict things. If you want us to restrict things like Jump Drives, say it.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    First, I do not never consider myself a "white knight", I express my opinion like others about the game that I love play, if I see something I do not like, I also say it... not everything is expressed in black or white ... the gray area Is where the substance is ... the extremes are that .. extremes.
    Most of, not you. You're making arguments ;)

Second, what you are proposing here is, somehow, make the constructions of the players have a clear classification (you know, tank, DPS, healer, miner, transporter) which would give the game a major change, and I must give you The reason, I would love to see in the game a greater "differentiation" between possible ships (as you mentioned before the game EVE online has) ... but that is a double-edged sword ... The player does not seek to build a spaceship with a definite purpose ... it is the circumstances that define their purpose ...If a player wants to use his ship to mine asteroids, battle with pirates and transport their resources ... I think it would be a mistake to tell that player that he can not do it, it would be limiting his creativity and, therefore, his desire to continue playing limited by A class system.
    You're right about this, let me clarify.

I want mechanics for making a ship better at certain things, but not a rigid classification system, If someone wanted to make a ship that is a miner and a transport and a combat ship, there's no reason they shouldn't be allowed to do that, but if someone makes a ship that is ONLY a transport, ONLY a fighter or ONLY a miner, that ship should be better at it's one role than the ship doing all 3.

For example, we have no way of increasing the amount of ore we get from an ore block, at the expense of slower mining speed. With the new sector resource system, if i'm understanding it right, that would be useful for having miners that get more material out of the sector when it's being mined out, but when starting the game or if stripmining remote sectors, that's not really a concern, you just want to fill up and get back home.

If the man had backed down saying that he could never fly ... we would not have planes and we would never have reached the moon.
    I´m sorry if anything cant be understand, i must use google translator and Do not take it bad Raisinbat, i respect and take in count your opinion :)
    If the engineers didn't object to storing the planes fuel in the smokers lounge i'd rather stay on the ground :-p

Your english is fine, just takes a few tries sometimes, seen MUCH worse.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Had you posted in a even semi-polite fashion I would have in turn. My counter argument is, simply, it's not even Alpha. And honestly, I'm not sure why your expecting perfection in a Pre-Alpha game.

Support is how you'll get heard. One voice can easily be drowned out, but 50, not so much. Ultimately, Schine quite obviously do have a vision for the game, if you don't believe me check the planned features list.

And frankly, I'd rather be called a White Knight than a Raging Troll.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    Does the weight of cargo not slow a ship down enough? I would think you would prefer to use a dedicated cargo ship instead of a combat ship since the weight slows it down. That can be changed of course. I just saw a cargo ship transporting stuff and it was vastly under-used. I will agree that cargo capacity needs to be reduced per cargo block. Even for small trades, my small Trading Guild freighters should be nearly full.
    It does, but that usually only factors in after a fight, and most combat ships will have plenty of thrust to spare, except for the really big ones, and those wont be affected by cargo weight that much.

I was under the assumption we wanted to avoid that. Or are you simply pointing it out? I would like to get to a point where regardless of how well you can build, you can not have a full hotbar active all at once, and I mean 9 items, not 3 or 4. I have so far only built ships for the game under 150 meters. Some of them can't power everything at once, despite my best attempts. Other ships can power their 3 or 4 items at the same time. This will be a tough thing to figure out. Much as we might have to break ships, I would prefer not to. Fixing the system in one place will certainly break it for someone else.

If we fix something and it breaks elsewhere, have we actually made progress?
    I'm just pointing things out, i would really prefer not to make any suggestions on what to do about it, but people get mad when i don't. Apparently they get mad when i do as well :confused:

I hate posting my own ships as examples since it seems really conceited, but maybe take a look at RAI Arbalest or Chronos FTL 180K these are both 12k mass ships from the blood and steel tournament, running full ion effect, overdrive effect, emp effect and scanners, in addition to very heavy DPS and thrust.

As for breaking ships, that's why i wish you would focus on these issues with a bit more urgency, and seek feedback with the community before it's put in the game. Breaking ships is going to be necessary, there are too many problems in the game that are dependant on power systems that you cannot fix without fundamentally altering the power system, and that will break, at least, every competitive ship.

What do you propose we do to fix slow firing weapons? Should they be more devastating? As I understand it, DPS is the same, no matter the fire rate, so long as the ratio and block count with the secondary system is the same. I could be wrong, and if I am is the difference in DPS noteworthy? Additionally, fast firing weapons outclass slow ones for it's ease of use. Players cannot rely on any sort of targeting or tracking when using weapons themselves. I imagine if there was a sort of target lead or something then slow firing weapons would get a boost.
    They are equal if you ignore the system needed to use them, but the slow firing weapons take up twice their size in capacitor blocks, so that's half the DPS right there; Slower weapons SHOULD be lower dps though because there are tactical advantages to the slower firing, like circling around an opponent you shoot at them as you approach, then while you aren't facing each other rapid fire weapons can't shoot at you anyway, and your weapon will be able to fire again after turning. Logic weapons would exploit the extra damage as well, by making slow firing guns rapid fire.

Like i explained before, because of projectile simulation on impacts, you have to waffle your guns. Generally cannon rounds should not be above 5k damage, unless using explosive rounds, but since can/can outputs a lot more projectiles over time than can/pul, can/pul needs to be waffled a lot more to achieve the same effect on a hull. This adds to the weapon's power cost, which ultimately limits DPS, up to 16x.

Updating the simulation model for weapon impacts so heavier guns aren't losing 99% of their damage would help a lot with this too, since it would eliminate the need for waffling, or simply having explosive effect mimicing the weapon impact from missiles. I'd also point out that by triggering weapons with logic or when put in a turret you can have each output controlled by its own computer to eliminate the power cost of waffling, so it's essentially just a penalty for the convenience of manually using the weapon.

So you want to limit how often you can access you power capacity? Wouldn't scaling regen back alone solve that issue? If regen was so low, that using a number of systems at once kept you relatively depleted then you have achieved the same thing correct? I am fine with the concept. I have a feeling systems like that would push players towards alpha weapons more, or the complete opposite end where they make weapons so weak as to not draw any power (doubtful). It's a bold suggestion. Also, do you think we could achieve this change without breaking ships? How do we balance this with weapons?
    The point was that batteries would be much faster than reactors, so a ship relying on batteries has much higher power generation, but only for a limited time, like 1 minute. After that the batteries don't contribute anything and your ship becomes much weaker than a pure reactor ship. This would create some variety in ship tactics, where the battery ship rushes down the opponent, focusing on high capacity defense, while the reactor ship remains defensive and tries to outlast it's opponent. Basically, like Starsector 's strike and close support roles. It would also enable actual bomber designs, or fighters that are powerful, but must return to a carrier to recharge.

Simply adding batteries shouldn't break any ships, but with the power generation as high as it is, batteries are pointless, since they'd need about 4000e/sec per block to be properly faster than reactors. Fixing the power system will require ships to become obsolete, but if you remove the power bonus AND eliminate the power drain from thrusters, things might still work, but there are more problems that will need to be solved. I made a really long and tedious post about it a while back My Stupid Power Mechanics Thesis if you think you can stomach it. :sick:

I know it sucks for everyone when ships get obsolete, but it's necessary. I'm losing ships from this too, but everyone will be much better off with a ballanced game further down the line. The causes for all the obsolence has always been the power system, if you focus on making a power system that's solid, has depth to it and isn't exploitative like the current one, then making changes later on won't be such an issue; everything else is much easier to move around and rescale without breaking a ship.

Well what makes a good carrier? Would this require small ships be incapable of supporting Jump Drives? I would be okay with this I suppose. Scale, classifications, and the like are all subjective though. In an attempt to allow players to build what they want, it means we do not restrict things. If you want us to restrict things like Jump Drives, say it.
    I was thinking more along the lines of repair and production systems for maintaining the fighter fleets; fuel supply for fighters, jump drives that kind of stuff. Scanners could already be considered this, except they're much cheaper on the fighters instead of the carrier.

Reaction score
    I spawned into a new world to test stuff out and the first thing I see is a trader fleet drifting by. Well, drifting into a shop, that is... *coughcough*

Great update! It feels more alive already!
    Ditto! Minding my own business at the spawn shop and some NPC drives his miner into it! :)

Afterwards it became totally inactive. Just lay around like a beached whale...

Really loving seeing some "life" around in single player servers, thanks for the update guys!

Last edited: