StarMade v0.199.349 - NPC Faction Update

Reaction score
    Did the backup dialogue automatically pop up for anyone? I clicked update and it just proceeded to update.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Did the backup dialogue automatically pop up for anyone? I clicked update and it just proceeded to update.
    Are you sure that wasn't just the launcher? After I updated starmade, the launcher opened and proceeded to tell me that I was on the version I had left off on.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I spawned into a new world to test stuff out and the first thing I see is a trader fleet drifting by. Well, drifting into a shop, that is... *coughcough*

Great update! It feels more alive already!

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    I spawned into a new world to test stuff out and the first thing I see is a trader fleet drifting by. Well, drifting into a shop, that is... *coughcough*

Great update! It feels more alive already!
    It should teleport out :)

Reactions: kiddan
    Reaction score
    YEAH NPC UPDATES WOOOT

thanks every one at shine and thanks yous schema keep up the great work. love the game more and more and happy holidays to all on the team and in the forums

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    I'm having a ton of fun with it.
    Come back in a week, see how fun it turned out to be. Game is still a broken mess and devs have no idea what they're doing to fix it. How about adressing the current panic over docked entities: are you going to eliminate docked entity benefits or are they going to stay? There's been so many fucking threads about this ever since that retarded auxilliary power update, open your fucking mouths for once.

Reactions: Chckn Wildstyle

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Come back in a week, see how fun it turned out to be. Game is still a broken mess and devs have no idea what they're doing to fix it. How about adressing the current panic over docked entities: are you going to eliminate docked entity benefits or are they going to stay? There's been so many fucking threads about this ever since that retarded auxilliary power update, open your fucking mouths for once.
    Well now we have feedback for those issues. We didn't when it was released. Players have made threads and we can assess what adjustments need to be made. In the meantime, we can't sit and wait for those threads to appear before working on the next thing, so we press on.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Well now we have feedback for those issues. We didn't when it was released. Players have made threads and we can assess what adjustments need to be made. In the meantime, we can't sit and wait for those threads to appear before working on the next thing, so we press on.
    So much this. The devs can't wait for us to say something and if we don't say anything how are they suppose to know something is wrong they missed?

If you are such hot stuff why don't you send a job application in to them and help them out from the inside instead of being an eternal ass from the outside and not providing any helpful input?

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    These problems have been in the game FOR YEARS. They've been discussed repeatedly, but its only now that people start getting mad because they get to see the OP shit you can do that there seems to be any kind of response from you guys.

This time, instead of implementing some half assed solution like raising the softcap or implementing these pointless auxilliary power blocks, maybe you could post on the forums what you intend to do about it so we can provide a bit of feedback before you break the game again?

And there's till no word about what the hell this game is supposed to be when it's finished; just answer this one simple thing: Do you want the game's combat to be arcade style like freelancer where you just fly around, point your guns and shoot a lot, or are we going to have more tactical combat where managing power and systems is going to be important? This is a pretty black and white comparison for your game, but nobody seems to know. If YOU don't know what the fuck you're making that's really fucking scary for those of us who are hoping to see starmade turn into something great at some point, and if you DO know, why are you keeping it secret?
    [doublepost=1482038373,1482038225][/doublepost]
    If you are such hot stuff why don't you send a job application in to them and help them out from the inside instead of being an eternal ass from the outside and not providing any helpful input?
    Can i send that application to you since you're clearly employed as their personal fluffer girl?

Telling them they're fucking up IS useful input, it's just not pleasant, but i stopped giving a fuck about being pleasant when they stopped giving a fuck about making a decent game.

Reactions: Chckn Wildstyle

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    These problems have been in the game FOR YEARS. They've been discussed repeatedly, but its only now that people start getting mad because they get to see the OP shit you can do that there seems to be any kind of response from you guys.

This time, instead of implementing some half assed solution like raising the softcap or implementing these pointless auxilliary power blocks, maybe you could post on the forums what you intend to do about it so we can provide a bit of feedback before you break the game again?

And there's till no word about what the hell this game is supposed to be when it's finished; just answer this one simple thing: Do you want the game's combat to be arcade style like freelancer where you just fly around, point your guns and shoot a lot, or are we going to have more tactical combat where managing power and systems is going to be important? This is a pretty black and white comparison for your game, but nobody seems to know. If YOU don't know what the fuck you're making that's really fucking scary for those of us who are hoping to see starmade turn into something great at some point, and if you DO know, why are you keeping it secret?

Can i send that application to you since you're clearly employed as their personal fluffer girl?

Telling them they're fucking up IS useful input, it's just not pleasant, but i stopped giving a fuck about being pleasant when they stopped giving a fuck about making a decent game.

Then why are you here?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius

Is StarMade not already a combination of both? Does it necessarily have to be one or the other, please explain. I expect by the time most players are competent, they will not have to worry about power/system management. They will have built ships that do not create power failures. If they activate every system on their ship at once, then sure. But does that really go that far into the tactical style gameplay that we are talking about? It should be common sense to expect power failures from activating all your systems at once. Surely you learn that early on no?

Or perhaps you are talking about building approach, and how blocks should operate based on the design of the ship? Furthermore, what do you want out of StarMade? It doesn't matter if we have a direction if you completely disagree with it. It will result in more of these types of discussion.

I'm all for listening. But please, there is no need for swearing at every person that points out the aggression or unpleasantness of your comments, true as they may be.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    I, after playing a lot of games since 1990 ... I have to say that starmade has a great potential, combines many aspects that have made other games great, total freedom to go wherever you want, total freedom to build both spaceships And space stations, with few (logical) blocks infinite possibilities to make incredible creations and now, thanks to the recent NPC update, these possibilities become bigger and bigger ...
    Raisinbat You mentioned the freelancer game, for me, starmade is a mixture of the best of that game and minecraft, but do not get confused, starmade is unique, any other similarity is an inexpensive copy.

Like all games, these have things to polish, things to solve, changes that have to happen, new content to add, and of course, things that are better than players "do not know at the moment" because that would take away all the emotion ... this is the only game that I see that the developers are committed to the players, listen to them, take into consideration their opinions (whether good or bad) and do everything possible to make this game, day by day, Better for all.

Reaction score
    I love how professional the devs for this game are, hats off to you guys for being actively involved with the community. And what an awesome update, I can't wait to see what features are cranked out in the future. Hail Skooma!! :schema:

Reactions: nightrune

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    Is StarMade not already a combination of both? Does it necessarily have to be one or the other, please explain. I expect by the time most players are competent, they will not have to worry about power/system management. They will have built ships that do not create power failures. If they activate every system on their ship at once, then sure. But does that really go that far into the tactical style gameplay that we are talking about? It should be common sense to expect power failures from activating all your systems at once. Surely you learn that early on no?
    No, it's not a combination; there is no tactical element to starmade combat, unless the ships are intentionally designed stupidly. No it doesn't have to be 100% one or the other, but every time i've asked for clarification on what the game is supposed to be, it gets dismissed, so this time i thought i'd make it as black and white as possible.

As an example, EVE is a purely tactical ship game. You're choosing targets for individual weapons, commanding drones and switching systems like repair, defense and electronic warfare on/off. There is a clear variety of ships with different purposes, like scouting, repair, transportation and weapons are good for different things, like good against drones or small capitals or supercapitals, or at different ranges, and ships behave differently; some have massive defensive tanks they can't restore, some have small HP pools but recover quickly, etc etc. Starmade has NONE of this. If a weapon is good against fighters, its also good against capitals. Building transport ships is irrelevant because cargo space is so cheap a tiny freighter can carry around a ship 5x it's size in it's cargohold.

As for the powersystem; starmade is designed in a way that makes it completely inefficient to have multiple systems that aren't online all the time, as well as weapons that aren't firing non-stop. Because of the hull damage model, you need to waffle slowfiring weapons to ridiculous amounts, and they take up many times their own size in power capacitors or they can't fire at all.

can/can takes 0.1 seconds to fire, can/pul takes 16. This means you need to waffle can/pul 160 times to have the same damage output as can/can, which means 16x higher power consumption. Add to this that can/can requires 0.005 power capacitors per weapon block, while can/pul requires 0.8, so it takes up twice as much space, until you account for the 16x higher power drain, so 13x larger, and that's not accounting for the increase in power generation it takes.

This means there's no room for variety in how ships work; they all have to follow the basic formula where they go forward and shoot forever; no hit-and-runs, no bombers, no saving your weapons for the right moment, because the only right moment is always.

Or perhaps you are talking about building approach, and how blocks should operate based on the design of the ship? Furthermore, what do you want out of StarMade? It doesn't matter if we have a direction if you completely disagree with it. It will result in more of these types of discussion.
    What i want out of starmade is a game where you make and use ships that are built to perform some function. I want how i build my ships to affect how well it performs the function, and i want to have depth and variety in designs.

Your direction doesn't have to agree with me, but if you want to make a stupid space gallery where all we do is look at crap floating in space, i'd like you to come clean with it so i can stop wasting my time on your game.

I'm all for listening. But please, there is no need for swearing at every person that points out the aggression or unpleasantness of your comments, true as they may be.
    There is absolutely a need for it; every single time someone expresses even the slightest disappointment in the game's mechanics, these white knights swarm the threads and either derail with a bunch of nonsense or chastise the posters for not supporting the developers. I used to laugh at people like this in games like FFXIV or starbound, because it was just funny then; i didn't care if those games crashed and burned, they were just terrible and never going to change; i still have some delusional hope left that maybe, just maybe, you'll listen to some of the people who want a game out of starmade instead of a gallery.

We have slug through these jerks every single thread. They never post arguments, or explain why your arguments are wrong, they just start crying like StormWing0 that we're not allowed to criticize unless we're game developers ourselves, and i fucking swear if i came out as gabe fucking newell, i still wouldn't be allowed to criticize you, or accuse us of wanting the game to be what WE want, as if that's not exactly what they're doing, while ignoring everything we say. And nobody calls these scumbags out on it, including you, because they're being "polite" about it. These forums are fucking hell if you're trying to have a discussion because of this.

What's worse, these fuckers are lying to you. Your game is in a really bad state right now, and trying to fix it will require sweeping changes to just about everything, changes you can't fix with just a config file, and piling more and more shit on top of it means fixing it becomes harder and harder to do. The only part of the game i think is currently release ready is the logic system, and maybe mining beams, but everything else? Power, hull destruction mechanics, thrust, crafting, weapon ballance, ship control, docking and cloaking are all utterly broken.

Yet they're sitting here, lapping up this useless garbage, before they've even had a chance to play it. See how excited they are about it next week, when they get off the hype and back on their meds.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    No, it's not a combination; there is no tactical element to starmade combat, unless the ships are intentionally designed stupidly. No it doesn't have to be 100% one or the other, but every time i've asked for clarification on what the game is supposed to be, it gets dismissed, so this time i thought i'd make it as black and white as possible.

As an example, EVE is a purely tactical ship game. You're choosing targets for individual weapons, commanding drones and switching systems like repair, defense and electronic warfare on/off. There is a clear variety of ships with different purposes, like scouting, repair, transportation and weapons are good for different things, like good against drones or small capitals or supercapitals, or at different ranges, and ships behave differently; some have massive defensive tanks they can't restore, some have small HP pools but recover quickly, etc etc. Starmade has NONE of this. If a weapon is good against fighters, its also good against capitals. Building transport ships is irrelevant because cargo space is so cheap a tiny freighter can carry around a ship 5x it's size in it's cargohold.

As for the powersystem; starmade is designed in a way that makes it completely inefficient to have multiple systems that aren't online all the time, as well as weapons that aren't firing non-stop. Because of the hull damage model, you need to waffle slowfiring weapons to ridiculous amounts, and they take up many times their own size in power capacitors or they can't fire at all.

can/can takes 0.1 seconds to fire, can/pul takes 16. This means you need to waffle can/pul 160 times to have the same damage output as can/can, which means 16x higher power consumption. Add to this that can/can requires 0.005 power capacitors per weapon block, while can/pul requires 0.8, so it takes up twice as much space, until you account for the 16x higher power drain, so 13x larger, and that's not accounting for the increase in power generation it takes.

This means there's no room for variety in how ships work; they all have to follow the basic formula where they go forward and shoot forever; no hit-and-runs, no bombers, no saving your weapons for the right moment, because the only right moment is always.

What i want out of starmade is a game where you make and use ships that are built to perform some function. I want how i build my ships to affect how well it performs the function, and i want to have depth and variety in designs.

Your direction doesn't have to agree with me, but if you want to make a stupid space gallery where all we do is look at crap floating in space, i'd like you to come clean with it so i can stop wasting my time on your game.

There is absolutely a need for it; every single time someone expresses even the slightest disappointment in the game's mechanics, these white knights swarm the threads and either derail with a bunch of nonsense or chastise the posters for not supporting the developers. I used to laugh at people like this in games like FFXIV or starbound, because it was just funny then; i didn't care if those games crashed and burned, they were just terrible and never going to change; i still have some delusional hope left that maybe, just maybe, you'll listen to some of the people who want a game out of starmade instead of a gallery.

We have slug through these jerks every single thread. They never post arguments, or explain why your arguments are wrong, they just start crying like StormWing0 that we're not allowed to criticize unless we're game developers ourselves, and i fucking swear if i came out as gabe fucking newell, i still wouldn't be allowed to criticize you, or accuse us of wanting the game to be what WE want, as if that's not exactly what they're doing, while ignoring everything we say. And nobody calls these scumbags out on it, including you, because they're being "polite" about it. These forums are fucking hell if you're trying to have a discussion because of this.

What's worse, these fuckers are lying to you. Your game is in a really bad state right now, and trying to fix it will require sweeping changes to just about everything, changes you can't fix with just a config file, and piling more and more shit on top of it means fixing it becomes harder and harder to do. The only part of the game i think is currently release ready is the logic system, and maybe mining beams, but everything else? Power, hull destruction mechanics, thrust, crafting, weapon ballance, ship control, docking and cloaking are all utterly broken.

Yet they're sitting here, lapping up this useless garbage, before they've even had a chance to play it. See how excited they are about it next week, when they get off the hype and back on their meds.

Reactions: Reilly Reese