StarMade v0.199.253 - Fog of War and Display Block Upgrade

Spartan4845

Master of Chimichangas and Star Trek Shells
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Anyone seen if there is a way to send display content checks from one entity to another for say... a elevator car to the mother entity. So that we can keep all the logic and command systems in the main entity?

Like a turbolift car has the entry display and the go button and the ship holds all the sensors, rails systems, and such.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    So, when do we get heat shielding so we can make that hidden base inside of a star? FoW is gonna help with a secret bit. :D

Reaction score
    ok thx
    secret base time maybe? ^^
    An interesting thing would now be to declare war to neutrals, because there will be many guys scouting around and a higher chance that someone tries to fly by.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    For those wondering, when claiming space has more value, and there are different types of things in space to watch out or look for, we can use FoW to hide them until a player scans them. That information can become valuable. Say, you won't know if you just jumped into heavily defended TG territory until you've scanned the system.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Anyone seen if there is a way to send display content checks from one entity to another for say... a elevator car to the mother entity. So that we can keep all the logic and command systems in the main entity?

Like a turbolift car has the entry display and the go button and the ship holds all the sensors, rails systems, and such.
    As far as I can tell, and from simple testing, no.

But this is a suggestion that has been made, and definitely one that we should get eventually.

Read by Council - Rail Dockers Linked to Displays

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    As far as I can tell, and from simple testing, no.

But this is a suggestion that has been made, and definitely one that we should get eventually.

Read by Council - Rail Dockers Linked to Displays
    Yeah - it's been suggested before and as NPCs come closer to fruition the need for it becomes more and more pressing. My suggestion shortly after the coming of NPCs was announced was a general (not specific to displays or logic only) ansible feature (block-facilitated or otherwise is probably irrelevant) that allows a player to remotely transfer control to other ansibled devices he/she is permitted to control. Similarly to the way we can shuffle control to docked entities, turrets, etc, except able (at energy or FP maintenance or per use cost perhaps) to act at extreme maybe even infinite range, and hopefully more precisely controllable than the current docked entity shuffle. Such a feature could facilitate linkages between logic & displays from one structure to another as well as permitting a host of other complex tasks be accomplished at range.

Reaction score
    For those wondering, when claiming space has more value, and there are different types of things in space to watch out or look for, we can use FoW to hide them until a player scans them. That information can become valuable. Say, you won't know if you just jumped into heavily defended TG territory until you've scanned the system.
    what do you have planned that will give them value?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    what do you have planned that will give them value?
    That's classified. ;)

A lot of this will come with new features for claiming territory, colonizing, and management of factions. Resources will be a big thing. Spending those resources will be another. Using your resources to take on various challenges / threats would be nice. You won't be able to compete with the NPC factions without claiming space.

That's what we would like anyway. There are other ideas we have as well. Of course this is subjective. You might get more out of building ships than claiming star systems but it is the area that is most lacking at the moment.

Reactions: Gonzalo
    Reaction score
    Very awesome update. Looks like I'm going to have to upgrade my lift systems soon if not now.

• OMG - lift and turbo lift control
    To get lift controls via display modules rather than buttons atm it's going to take a lot of logic on the lift itself, right? Haven't downloaded the patch yet, but looking at the video, it seems you'll need a timer and then three blocks (display, sensor, wireless) per stop you want the lift to be able to go to.

Very excited for further display block upgrades and figuring out what those various commands will actually do.

Reaction score
    Hello players,

a new version has been release. Get the full news here:

StarMade News - StarMade v0.199.253 - Fog of War and Display Block Upgrade

Thanks for playing StarMade,
    - schema and the Schine Team
    Don't know where to put this, but . . . I kinda broke your logic. There seems to be an inconsistency with the sensor block when linked to multiple display modules. Essentially the sensor will activate when some or even none of the display modules match.
    [doublepost=1476032749,1476032176][/doublepost]

I'm working on it, but the sensor block is giving me some trouble

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Don't know where to put this, but . . . I kinda broke your logic. There seems to be an inconsistency with the sensor block when linked to multiple display modules. Essentially the sensor will activate when some or even none of the display modules match.
    [doublepost=1476032749,1476032176][/doublepost]

I'm working on it, but the sensor block is giving me some trouble
    Can you upload a blueprint with the troubled setup? I can't reproduce this locally.

Spartan4845

Master of Chimichangas and Star Trek Shells
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Currently just prototyping it with wireless transmitters so I can get my Turbolift working. If anyone knows of a 3d elevator in a ship or video it would be much appreciated since I suck at getting the rail launchers/pickups to work.

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    So I went through and tested it, Waiting on an official response from the team. It definitely behaves odd when connecting the sensor to more the 2. The release notes even said two displays. The sensor block only accepts one incoming connection as well. So your minimal setup may never work. You might need more supporting logic to help out.

Reaction score
    So I went through and tested it, Waiting on an official response from the team. It definitely behaves odd when connecting the sensor to more the 2. The release notes even said two displays. The sensor block only accepts one incoming connection as well. So your minimal setup may never work. You might need more supporting logic to help out.
    Thanks for looking into it. I suppose what I really need to know before continuing is if the sensor is supposed to be behave like an AND gate or OR gate, as of right now it seems to behave as both randomly. The unpredictability is going to make using it difficult since I try to keep my logic as simple as possible.

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Thanks for looking into it. I suppose what I really need to know before continuing is if the sensor is supposed to be behave like an AND gate or OR gate, as of right now it seems to behave as both randomly. The unpredictability is going to make using it difficult since I try to keep my logic as simple as possible.
    Its basically just doing a full string compare, and if they are the same string its a 1, if they differ by even one character it'll be a 0.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Okay, I was away for work for a while and missed this update. Now that I'm caught up, I gotta say that fog of war is a HUGE game-changer, in a good way! Great work!

Reaction score
    If I make a voxel space game on display blocks called "starmade", will I get sued by Schema?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    If I make a voxel space game on display blocks called "starmade", will I get sued by Schema?
    Yes and no, yes if making money, no if not and not taking money from the real starmade due to them losing customers. XD General rule, avoid naming your game the name of an existing game.