StarMade v0.199.253 - Fog of War and Display Block Upgrade

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Because I'm an idiot, mostly with advance design and logic, what does all this extra display stuff do/mean? Or better yet, what theoretical/practical awesome stuff can you do with it?
    the extra display module tags allow for a lot of information to be displayed in real time. the [sector] and the [system] tag will display the current sector/system that the entity is in.

The new password feature allows you to set up password locked functions like locked doors where you need to type in the correct password in order for the door to open. if you're clever enough then you can set up actual command prompts where you can just type in a command and your ship/station will execute that command. ppl have been asking for a kind of programmable computer now we have it!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Well this update just decided how I spend my next few hours of game playing time.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Display block commands? FoW? Oooh yes. So much yes! :D

Now to try and make a text-based adventure game for my passengers. :)

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So, if two displays have the same text an attached sensor block will output a high signal? What about those other weird commands?

~ '[ADD]text': The text after [ADD] is added to the existing text of the connected block ([ADD] must be in the very front)
    ~ '[DEL]number': Removes an amount of characters from the conneted block ([DEL] must be in the very front)
    ~ '[REPLACEFIRST]regexp[WITH]replacement': use java conform regular expressions to replace specific text ([REPLACEFIRST] must be in the very front)
    ~ '[REPLACEALL]regexp[WITH]replacement': use java conform regular expressions to replace specific text ([REPLACEALL] must be in the very front)

Like this stuff...

ZektorSK

Poor boi from northern Hungary ^^
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    It is amazing to see how this game got from easy space minecraft to a complicated indipendent game :schema: Keep up making the good work !

Reaction score
    Yes, have been waiting for an update on display modules for a while. Thank you starmade team!

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Thanks you Schine! Another awesome update. :)

I absolutely love this display module update. We can do some massive logic functions to do all kinds of buzzy things.
    I'm also keen to try this scanning feature.
    [doublepost=1475914546,1475914386][/doublepost]
    • Like Chrimson-Artist pointed out, the password feature is going to be awesome for interfaction and friendly access.
    • Appartments, storage, parking, banking, whatever
    • The compare will give us such better control over factories, storage, docking, drone control/parking etc.

Man, so many ideas flowing already that I don't know where to start.
    [doublepost=1475914648][/doublepost]
    • OMG - lift and turbo lift control
    • mech control

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Out of curiosity I wondered how the cloaked tag will work when the screen greys out in cloaked mode when in the core and if your a passenger the whole ship disappears. Testing it I'm guessing it works but will not know. :)
    [doublepost=1475919916,1475919863][/doublepost]I wonder how Schine tested it. ;)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I think I pooped a little. I will probably never utilize this to it's full potential but man do I have some ideas. For a small one, this is a really cool update. \o/

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    there is still a problem on linux with loading stopping at 29% because it seems to be using a wrong path for block texture path :(

EDIT: nevermind it's something else with the Pixel texturepack that doesn't exists in 128 and 256, it still is a bug tho

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Wow, this sure looks like a big step into more complex game play in the future. :)

The display options added now and in the previous update look challenging to really fill a bridge with changing screen data and add command options to manage many ship systems. :cool:

I wonder how the 'Fog of War' will work out in single player survival. In any case it's a good incentive to explore, something needed for sure. ;)

Great work guys, keep 'm coming. :D

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    So, if two displays have the same text an attached sensor block will output a high signal? What about those other weird commands?

~ '[ADD]text': The text after [ADD] is added to the existing text of the connected block ([ADD] must be in the very front)
    ~ '[DEL]number': Removes an amount of characters from the conneted block ([DEL] must be in the very front)
    ~ '[REPLACEFIRST]regexp[WITH]replacement': use java conform regular expressions to replace specific text ([REPLACEFIRST] must be in the very front)
    ~ '[REPLACEALL]regexp[WITH]replacement': use java conform regular expressions to replace specific text ([REPLACEALL] must be in the very front)

Like this stuff...
    Enter [add]jstenholt in display 1, put a button next to display 1 and link that button to display 2. Enter My name is: in display 2. Hit the button and display 2 shows My name is: jstenholt.

Change display 1 to [del]4 and hit the butten again, then display 2 shows
    My name is: jsten.

Write [replaceall]a.c[with]abc on display 1 and aac abc acc adc on display 2. Hitting the button changes display 2 to abc abc abc abc. This is just one example, for more info read this.

Reaction score
    I think I found a BUG in this update:

If you place a Displayblock on another before it can change to the actual block, you get a "NullPointException: null" everytime.

Reaction score
    I don't get what is the point of fog of war. How should it affect gameplay? Not saying it's bad but I'm a bit confused.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    there is still a problem on linux with loading stopping at 29% because it seems to be using a wrong path for block texture path :(

EDIT: nevermind it's something else with the Pixel texturepack that doesn't exists in 128 and 256, it still is a bug tho
    Crash on bad texture is known. What did you install from? Did you have a previous install?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I don't get what is the point of fog of war. How should it affect gameplay? Not saying it's bad but I'm a bit confused.
    In my past single-player survival games I would always flip through 100's of systems on the galaxy map, looking for the perfect solar system to place my home in. With fog of war, I will probably do more traveling around and scanning than I use to. And possibly set up a temporary space station at the beginning, and end up moving at some point.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    It adds to the unknown factor as well as hides warp gate lines and black hole lines.

Reaction score
    It adds to the unknown factor as well as hides warp gate lines and black hole lines.
    In my past single-player survival games I would always flip through 100's of systems on the galaxy map, looking for the perfect solar system to place my home in. With fog of war, I will probably do more traveling around and scanning than I use to. And possibly set up a temporary space station at the beginning, and end up moving at some point.
    ok thx
    secret base time maybe? ^^

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    It has the effects others have mentioned, but very importantly from a multilayer perspective, it means you can build a mining station out on the rim and everyone else playing (enemies, trolls, etc) won't automatically be able to see it without actually scouting the area. It means that when you build a warp gate in MP it won't always be destroyed within a week by some random player who just felt like blowing things up and could see upon login that there was a player station at both ends of your warp gate line. It means a lot more for multiplayer as - more than I have time for here.

Thank you, schema the recent updates have been fantastic and are adding a lot of depth and value. I'm excited to start seeing how FoW plays out during MP faction wars, like on servers with inverted FP.