StarMade v0.199.132 - Huge performance upgrade for chunks, also now supporting Portuguese-Brazilian

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Lone_Puppy assign 3072 max memory and 1024 - 256 to the other two values. If you cant run the game after that you have 32 bit java in use ... you have to install 64 bit java in that case then
    Cool, thanks for the settings.
    I checked the log and not using 32bit Java. I made sure by manually uninstalling anything 32bit and clearing out the folders a wee while ago.
    Log attached and screencap snip of my system details.
    upload_2016-8-3_9-10-55.png
    [doublepost=1470172666,1470172300][/doublepost]Lots of [WARNING] ... took long entries in that log.

Attachments

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Cool, thanks for the settings.
    I checked the log and not using 32bit Java. I made sure by manually uninstalling anything 32bit and clearing out the folders a wee while ago.
    Log attached and screencap snip of my system details.
    View attachment 30158
    Those logs still indicate an out of memory condition.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Ok. I'll try the memory settings tonight when I'm home.

Reaction score
    So interesting things are happening with my shadows after the update: shadows cast by nearby objects, docked or otherwise, appear on every face in the path of light rays, passing completely through them.
    The giant blobs of shadow are from the landing gear underneath the bow of the ship. Two are docked, and two are old versions floating just below the ship. Besides shadows, odd helmet bouncing (not sure how to make a gif of this), and slow catalog manager, everything else seems to be working fine.

Attachments

Erth Paradine

Server Admln & Bug Reporter
    Reaction score
    Is it just me, or do asteroids now contain a lot less resources?
    In a way, it appears so. Here's what it looks like to me, at least based upon some rough testing and calculations:
    Mining yields appear to calculated at the chunk level, and not block level. Since the number of chunks have been reduced by a factor of 8, mining yields have also been suitably reduced. As a result those suddenly-huge asteroids will yield the same amount of materials as the much smaller roids that were typical of older versions. Same goes for planets: I suspect we'll see an ~8x reduction in planet mining yields.

Workaround would be for server owners to increase the MINING_BONUS multiplier (if they want to continue encouraging planet mining), and/or to increase ASTEROID_SIZE_MAX in server.cfg (if they'd want to shift players towards asteroid mining).

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I love mining the huge asteroids and would not be happy with lower yields for my efforts.

Reaction score
    am i the only one that was more hyped by the statement of "what comes next" and that they are finnaly fixing fleets, then by anything else they mentioned in the update notes :D

Reactions: Lone_Puppy
    Reaction score
    In a way, it appears so. Here's what it looks like to me, at least based upon some rough testing and calculations:
    Mining yields appear to calculated at the chunk level, and not block level. Since the number of chunks have been reduced by a factor of 8, mining yields have also been suitably reduced. As a result those suddenly-huge asteroids will yield the same amount of materials as the much smaller roids that were typical of older versions. Same goes for planets: I suspect we'll see an ~8x reduction in planet mining yields.

Workaround would be for server owners to increase the MINING_BONUS multiplier (if they want to continue encouraging planet mining), and/or to increase ASTEROID_SIZE_MAX in server.cfg (if they'd want to shift players towards asteroid mining).
    Mining planets provided about the same amount of resources as they did before the update. Seems that the only change in resource yield was done to asteroids, which I am not a fan of. Asteroids were just made not useless and now Schine has made them useless again.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Mining planets provided about the same amount of resources as they did before the update. Seems that the only change in resource yield was done to asteroids, which I am not a fan of. Asteroids were just made not useless and now Schine has made them useless again.
    This is most likely an unintended side effect of the chunk update. I suspect it will be fixed in a later release or hotfix.

Reaction score
    Hey guys, the update seems to have cut off all the structures on my planet that went past the atmosphere. Just keep that in mind.

Oddly enough, the warp gate that got cut off still worked even though only the bottom half was left. 3 other warp gates that were completely cut off don't work though.
    [doublepost=1470202125,1470201799][/doublepost]Of course, besides that, the game is running way better, and my 1.5 km long ship is now totally easy to work with. I'm on a 4000 Intel.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The only complaint I have: Please fix the lighting.

As in improving it/developing it further or something along those lines because having black spots or starlight shine through a sealed off dark spaceship/spacestation rooms feels like early years of 3D. Heck lighting in Minecraft is ways better than in Starmade still.

That and waiting for NPCs. Aka more purpose to play so it doesn't feel so void in singleplayer. If you guys can manage to surpass Privateer and Frontire First Encounters level of questing/task/missions from terminals and NPCs then Starmade will surely become something so much more.

What I personally would love in singleplayer in terms of NPCs and quests is something to do with mining. Not just "fetch me this X amount of that for this reward item" fetch quests but meaningful dialogs from NPCs and reasons why they would need it. Texts like in the ye olden days of golden age of space sims should do.

Like if I am an independent explorer with lab rooms for collected data from planets and also have a large cargo space because the ship also has powerful salvage capabilities I expect to get NPCs interested in what I have uncovered and salvaged out there in the depths of space. It can range from increased pirate attacks with prompts from pirate NPCs about dropping your cargo and trading guild wanting to do more business with you and perhaps sometimes wanting to see some new place for themselves to get resources from so you can either say more than just yes or no but specify where the place is and making sure the TG fleet gets there to colonize or something with a few more npcs eventually popping up there and needing probably more resources they actually used up during building and now they need either more help from their guild to finish the constructions and if enough time has passed and they still don't have their resources to complete constructions they'll try to contact you like sending a cloaked stealth vessel to where I was last seen and gathering intel until it pops up on my radar to deliver the news and a request with npc on a screen preferable on a display monitor if it has been set to be a talking terminal and in case of other NPC stealth ships like pirates should have the NPC face either blurred or static. I could go on and on about this but that's the gist of it. A living breathing NPC world similar to Dwarf Fortress.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    then your logs are wrong
    your logs
    Code:
    [2016-08-03 12:45:24] [VERSION] VERSION: 0.199.132
    [2016-08-03 12:45:24] [VERSION] BUILD: 20160802_084346
    mine
    Code:
    [2016-08-03 09:36:48] [VERSION] VERSION: 0.199.132
    [2016-08-03 09:36:48] [VERSION] BUILD: 20160802_134223
    mine is from 13:42 .. your build is from the morning 08:43

try to use the force download and overwrite here. Maybe something went wrong on updateing
    Screenshot_3a.jpg