Starmade v0.194 - Shipyards

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    The same way you close open plexdoors with the core beam I guess?
    Okay, you have a shipyard, and you are going to dock your titan to it, are you really going to be able to snipe a single invisible block? Never gonna happen.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    But then how would you dock to it?
    Maybe an activator block on the side of the shipyard triggers it.
    How about collision activated? Just run into it. Unless your ship is to small...might miss it.
    Or you could use the trigger blocks, make a plane of them you have to fly through to trigger it. I bet we can come up with a million different ways if it can be logic activated.
    Maybe it should generate a filterable targeting icon, like asteroids and planets.Then you would at least know where to shoot.

just some random thoughts.

Reaction score
    Okay, you have a shipyard, and you are going to dock your titan to it, are you really going to be able to snipe a single invisible block? Never gonna happen.
    As if it'd make that much of a difference. So you're in your titan, with a shipyard anchor that's half the length of your titan away from your camera, and you're going to snipe it? ; )

But seriously, I can imagine a number of ways around that issue, one being that the anchor is invisible while the shipyard is in standby, and once it switches to active or build mode, the block becomes visible again. Of course that implies that shipyards will get logic interconnectivity, and different modes of operation, as I suggested in the shipyard improvements thread

Magnetic or proximity docking could be another option.
    Or like kiraen suggested, a virtual marker on your targeting HUD.

On the other hand, once your ship is large enough that the anchor block doesn't even render, you're probably no longer concerned with how it looks anyway : )

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    You know, you could just dock by flying into the shipyard... As soon as the anchor 'collides' with the ship and it can fit it can slide into place.

Reactions: ltmauve and Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Well Once magnetic docking is implemented that would be neat to have!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hey schema, any eta on control station blocks? Rather than having to use the core to fly.
    There is a chair of sorts (so it shows your character sotting down while using the command block) and able to control the ship from the block, rather than having to enter the core?

Reaction score
    I tested the shipyard, and when I made my science vessel a design, it would not build properly. Wireless logic was defunct, and all the docked entities glitches and became stuck, somehow not even connected to the main ship. Also, when I tested the design out in the virtual sector, what few entities that actually spawned somehow followed me back into the sector with my shipyard when I exited test mode. Are these bugs well known, or am I going to have to file a bug report?
    im having similar issues. i built a ship outside the shipyard, just in open space, with lots of logic doors and elevators, then deconstructed to design in my yard. when i reconstructed it in the yard all the doors and separate entities were docked, but not in the correct place on the rail. like i had a door on a rail and the door ended up docked upside down on the rail so instead of going from up to down, it goes from down to further down. some other doors ended up half way up and would always return to that half way position instead of going all the way down the rail. i get the feeling it has something to do with where exactly on the rail i originally docked the entity to. weather it was at the end or half way or wherever, then when you construct the ship, THATS where they end up instead of where they were when you deconstructed. also any display modules with words on them came back blank after reconstruction.

heres the kicker, if i just load it from a blueprint (or admin load in single player) everything is perfect.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Wireless logic breaks as well. I'm going to file a bug report on all of these unless someone else want's to do it.

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    You know, you could just dock by flying into the shipyard... As soon as the anchor 'collides' with the ship and it can fit it can slide into place.
    If that's the case I suggest that the shipyard docks to the centre of mass, currently some ships that are shorter than the Shipyard might not be able to fit into the Shipyard, because it docks to the core, and the core could be at the very back or the very front. We have centre of mass now, so that makes sense. that or the Geometric centre of the box dimensions.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    If that's the case I suggest that the shipyard docks to the centre of mass, currently some ships that are shorter than the Shipyard might not be able to fit into the Shipyard, because it docks to the core, and the core could be at the very back or the very front. We have centre of mass now, so that makes sense. that or the Geometric centre of the box dimensions.
    And the ship will move whenever you place a block that has more than 0 mass?

Reaction score
    And the ship will move whenever you place a block that has more than 0 mass?
    If you are on the ship in build mode, moving the ship doesn't really affect you. It might look odd to someone on the station, but, meh.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Hey schema, any eta on control station blocks? Rather than having to use the core to fly.
    There is a chair of sorts (so it shows your character sotting down while using the command block) and able to control the ship from the block, rather than having to enter the core?
    Agreed, this x1000. This has been vaguely "planned" for a really long time; seeing as it's not a very huge feature it would be nice to see it sometime soon. schema , any idea when this might be and/or what update this might be integrated with?

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Up until the shipyard update, I actually started putting the cores in the cockpit of the vehicle. Then the shipyard system came about and gave me a reason to start putting the core in the center again... Now I am working on my battleship, which has a bulky bridge on top, and I cannot find a good way to control the ship from there(aside from sitting and tab f8). I'll probably experiment with docked entities.

Reactions: Ithirahad