Starmade v0.194 - Shipyards

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Thank you so much for the awesome update but......
    10 steps forward 1 step back. A bit more work needs to be done to get the shipyard fully usable.
    I just got done trying this out. I really like the hologram effect of working on a virtual ship.

I've been working on rail systems tied to my hot bar, and I've found that I can't activate systems from the hot bar through the shipyard. So I tried going to a test sector to test out my rails. So I get spawned right next to a pirate station with my ship which is missing some of it's docked entities. Didn't matter though, I got killed by the pirate station before I could get to my ship. Which by the way was getting destroyed before my eyes (good thing it was just a virtual ship) :) . Also having to exit the virtual ship core, go to the shipyard computer, and teleport to a test sector, is allot of effort to test hot-bar items.

Possible solutions....
    1) ability to activate ship systems from the hot bar in the shipyard. (for testing rails, power draw, etc...)
    2) ability to enter virtual core from shipyard computer would be nice.
    3) test sector should be totally void, especially void of pirates :)

As it stands now with the inability to test systems from the hot bar, I may have to wait until the next hot-fix before I can realize the full glory of ship yards.

Oh and please don't take this the wrong way. I really do love the update. it just needs a bit more work.

Thanks guys :)
    It's intended that you can't use weapons/support tools/AI turrets/anything that could be exploited from within your shipyard design. The test sector is to be used for that but it's indeed a bug that you ended up next to a pirate station, or close to one.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1440148103,1440147742][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Who built the Eion?
    Looks fantastic.
    This is Sins of the Prophets Eion.
    I did, that mod has some awesome models (and textures), I should finish that build...one day...

Reaction score
    This came out way quicker than expected. Quick question on the repair option, does it restore your ship to blueprint (or design now I guess?), with things like docked ships and turrets restored, or just repair armour/hp?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    This came out way quicker than expected. Quick question on the repair option, does it restore your ship to blueprint (or design now I guess?), with things like docked ships and turrets restored, or just repair armour/hp?
    It repairs to design.

Reaction score
    Just FYI, Love the new update, but it should be noted that the shipyards are NOT stable with attached systems. Turrets have not been tested, but docked ship parts seem to have issues with detonating from the ship being built or not being deconstructed. This is with a continuous rotating ship section.

It has worked once, so it's not a given it does not work, it just seems unstable.

On the other hand, I just flew the attachment into the shipyard and deconstructed it without further incident, so not a deal-breaker. And it's still better than before, really.

Good job!

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Would be funny to try and make a fully automated shipyard for the AI to use. :) Could just see the thing turning into a spawner for endless waves.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Would be funny to try and make a fully automated shipyard for the AI to use. :) Could just see the thing turning into a spawner for endless waves.
    That would be really neat though so that once you destroy the pirate shipyard you no longer have to worry about pirates in the sector.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Just an update to my constant motion plight. Here's the solution:

Enter build block of station, then do /teleport_self_to 5 5 5. No more motion!

Long explanation:

It seems that my station was not quite in the center of the sector. On the map it was offset visibly. When I did a sector copy while inside a build block (to ensure I still had a station,) everything was okay.

Went back to original station, sure enough the motion started again. Tried /repair_sector, no change. Then I did a /teleport_self_to 5 5 5 while still inside the build block. This moved me and the entire station to the sector center. This worked, no more motion (even after getting in and out of the game itself.)

I theorize that the station was in slight motion. This could have occurred when I smashed into the station...er inaccurate docking methods when approaching base inside a ship (NSI Heavy Manta - shameless plug.) Or it could have been the time when there were station blocks inside my ship, and then undocking the ship kept me spinning until I did a jump out of the sector.

Moral of the story: Don't hit your station too much unless you want it to start creeping away from you. Or don't have station blocks inside of your ships before undocking.

Commands used:
    /change_sector_for_copy 1 10 12
    /change_sector 1 10 9
    /repair_sector 1 10 12
    /teleport_self_to 5 5 5

P.S. Sorry for the detail-ness. I used to do tech support on phones, and this is usually how my case notes look like. Not the reason why my job went away. It was a reduction in workforce (read: quarter end, cut jobs - don't do sensible budgeting because that would be too smart! Let's just cut these jobs and send overseas. INSTANT PROFITS!!!) /rant_on false

Reactions: EMC007

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Oh man,Im gonna start building soo many of them.. you will drown in them :D
    Misread this TERRIBLY wrong after reading
    Skylord from 5 minutes ago would like to go to bathroom. I regret not going.
    SHIPYAAAAAAARDS
    :p

Very neat way the shipyards work! Just wait and see all those arsenals people will be making though, doom shall be everywhere! :cool: Not that that's a bad thing... >=D

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This update honestly seemed a little bit rushed, like there should have been one more dev build beforehand. I'm not complaining though. This is awesome!!!

I'm also glad behind-glass rendering finally got fixed!

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Okay, now that hopefully everyone's calmed down.
    I'm gonna start criticising shit, why? Because I'm an arsehole.

The Shipyard module blocks don't orient normally, meaning that there are some sides of the block that will never face certain directions, but that's just aesthetic.

I am not sure about how I feel about having a single block in the centre of a shipyard just sorta sitting there, but I guess I will get used to it...

Uh... That's it I think, I will be sure to get back to you as soon as I have more things to criticise and piss everyone off.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    When placing ship yard modules do they have to be a certain distance apart? or just the distance from stern to bow? ie I I I I I, or, I..............I

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    When placing ship yard modules do they have to be a certain distance apart? or just the distance from stern to bow? ie I I I I I, or, I..............I
    Each flat C structure should be, at minimum, have 1 block of space between them, and, at maximum, 50 blocks of space between them. The entire ship should fit within the first and last Cs.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Small update on my station woes: The station started to rotate this time. It was about 30 degrees off when I'm in a ship and do a camera reset. So I've decided to abandon that world and assume it's broken. I even had a hard time salvaging the station since the rotation was off. Had to practically do space yoga to get all the blocks! o_O

Oh and as for shipyards: I built Darkducks StorageShip/Platform 2 in a shipyard. All the display text was deleted, and the storage filters were gone. But made it from a blueprint and they were preserved. I haven't tried a big ship, but I suspect that the issue with copy/paste (to different entities, same entity works great) and saved templates breaking storage filters could be an issue here. I'd be happy to report a bug on it.

Otherwise, the shipyards are great! When I made mine, I was thinking big enough for Titans at well over 200m in height. Just have to get the blocks aligned properly for the C's. ;)

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I think I found something.

Quite the typo I must say

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    Each flat C structure should be, at minimum, have 1 block of space between them, and, at maximum, 50 blocks of space between them. The entire ship should fit within the first and last Cs.
    That answered the question, thank you. :)