Shipyard improvements

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Hello to all of you here.
    I think the Shipyard update was a very good step into more advanced features of the game,
    but I also think Shipyards need some major changes from what I have seen.
    Maybee I'm wrong but if not here are my ideas for some changes:
    • Rail usability: There is curently no way to auto-produce Ships (Drones) and send them along some rails, or I'm completley wrong?
    • Docking to a Shipyard: curently there is the core anchor where u dock your ship and if i understand it correctly, this is where the ships core will be after docking, right? So if we want to move a ship from the shipyard along some rails thhis needs also some improvment.
    So in summary I want to be able to autoproduce particular drones in mass and store them in some Dronehangars in my station.
    Thanks for reading this post with potentially bad english.

Reaction score
    Hello to all of you here.
    I think the Shipyard update was a very good step into more advanced features of the game,
    but I also think Shipyards need some major changes from what I have seen.
    Maybee I'm wrong but if not here are my ideas for some changes:
    • Rail usability: There is curently no way to auto-produce Ships (Drones) and send them along some rails, or I'm completley wrong?
    • Docking to a Shipyard: curently there is the core anchor where u dock your ship and if i understand it correctly, this is where the ships core will be after docking, right? So if we want to move a ship from the shipyard along some rails thhis needs also some improvment.
    So in summary I want to be able to autoproduce particular drones in mass and store them in some Dronehangars in my station.
    Thanks for reading this post with potentially bad english.
    Agreed, and I think I recall that was mentioned somewhere as already being work-in-progress, or at least in the design phase.

The one major gripe I have with shipyards in their current iteration is that they are always-on, consuming oodles of power just sitting there. IMO they should consume no (or only token) power when empty, up to some fraction of their maximal power when a design is loaded/being edited (ideally depending on used versus available volume), and full power consumption when production is actually running. Operation should also be controllable by logic modules.

Reaction score
    Is energy use really a problem? I have a shipyard that I placed energy generators alongside the shipyard rails and it's generating FAR more power than I actually need.

Reaction score
    Is energy use really a problem? I have a shipyard that I placed energy generators alongside the shipyard rails and it's generating FAR more power than I actually need.
    I didn't say it was a problem, I said I'd prefer if they behaved differently. For one, not every shipyard may have the option to follow your design, because of space constraints, resource availability, or design choice.

I have an existing wharf with a small attached workshop from way before when shipyards were even a rumour that I upgraded; now the shipyard alone draws as much power as all the factories combined. The power plant can provide enough for either, but not both. I can switch off the factories, either individually or via a central kill switch, but I can't do the same with the shipyard. I can make it work, but that means a major redesign of either the shipyard or the power plant.

Again, it's not a problem, but I think it would be consistent with how factories work if shipyards could be switched off, either completely or into standby mode, via GUI button, or using logic blocks.

Reaction score
    I didn't say it was a problem, I said I'd prefer if they behaved differently. For one, not every shipyard may have the option to follow your design, because of space constraints, resource availability, or design choice.

I have an existing wharf with a small attached workshop from way before when shipyards were even a rumour that I upgraded; now the shipyard alone draws as much power as all the factories combined. The power plant can provide enough for either, but not both. I can switch off the factories, either individually or via a central kill switch, but I can't do the same with the shipyard. I can make it work, but that means a major redesign of either the shipyard or the power plant.

Again, it's not a problem, but I think it would be consistent with how factories work if shipyards could be switched off, either completely or into standby mode, via GUI button, or using logic blocks.
    Gotcha... I agree that they should power down when not in use. I'd say if they have a design loaded though, it would take power to generate the hologram and even more power to build a design.