Starmade Logic Tutorials

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like especially your last video Bench

BTW: I just wish such things wouldn't look so clumsy compared to the actually moving part of interior.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Wow, two very exciting videos.
    Personally I'm quite a novice at Logic still, but this doesn't seem too daunting even for someone like me. ;)
    All in all the possibilities of these new additions seem sheer endless, great stuff!

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Bench, your YouTube logic tutorials have helped me learn logic very quickly. I can't wait for more on the new rails. I really like how you, and all Devs for StarMade are so active with the players of your game/

Reactions: Bench
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hey Bench, question for you. I want to create an aircraft-carrier-like system by which one can launch fighters from a rail system. The logic component would have several parts, and I'm wondering if they are all possible. I am also very new to logic, and was never great at Minecraft redstone stuff (I could make rudimentary clocks and inverters and the like, AND gates and NOT gates, but not any more than that), so any help would be much appreciated.

First, a rail along the "launch area" (could be a stripe like on a real carrier or a BSG-style "launch tube") that undocks a ship on the rail after a certain point along the rail.
    Second, an area trigger that fires a 100% push weapon or pulse behind the launching fighter, but with an interlock to make sure it does not fire before the ship is undocked.
    Third, a "holding area" where a ship will stay until the launch zone is clear. Can be manually activated to shuttle the ship onto the launch rail.

Is all this possible? I'm trying to go for a carrier where there can be a bit of RP value in playing the "Catapult Officer", shuttling spacecraft from the hangar bay/deck to the catapults and then launching them.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yes, all of those are possible, I've built them myself.

First, a rail along the "launch area" (could be a stripe like on a real carrier or a BSG-style "launch tube") that undocks a ship on the rail after a certain point along the rail.
    Second, an area trigger that fires a 100% push weapon or pulse behind the launching fighter, but with an interlock to make sure it does not fire before the ship is undocked.
    First, you're going to want the fighter to stop at a given point on the rail to undock. It'll make things easier. Put an activation module underneath that spot. Do Act. -> NOT -> button -> computer to make the push beam fire when something undocks from that spot.
    To have the fighter undock from the rail, you need to send the rail a high logic signal. To automatically launch a fighter link the activation module under the rail to the rail. to manually launch a fighter link a button in your control center to the rail.

Third, a "holding area" where a ship will stay until the launch zone is clear. Can be manually activated to shuttle the ship onto the launch rail.
    So I assume you want to have a queue of fighters that can easily be moved onto the launch position. Make a line of rail that's long enough to fit as many fighters as you want. Then, have that feed into the launch position.
    To stop the next fighter from bumping the one currently being launched, you'll want to use a rail speed controller. 'c' that and connect it to the rail and an activation module. Then turn off the activation module to stop the rail.

You can also use a NOT gate slaved to the activation module under a rail to stop a rail further down the cue, letting you space your fighters out.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Very nice Bench. I've obviously immediately tried to replicate this and it seems to work. :cool:

The only thing that has me puzzled is that one can open the doors when there's no ship docked.
    Have I missed something or is this by design. ;)

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Very nice Bench. I've obviously immediately tried to replicate this and it seems to work. :cool:

The only thing that has me puzzled is that one can open the doors when there's no ship docked.

Greets,

Jan
    this is probably done by design. but i do think this is a point bench would want to consider adding in to this, because he probably does this with the same design I used. which also has an additional door at the back that is triggered to always be closed when the outer door is open. perhaps ill try it out with this setup and add the additional logic in my own tutorial?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, I expected as much, but when building something like this with the video as example one always keeps in the back of ones mind that you maybe overlooked something. The building tempo in Bench's tutorials is quite high, although this one wasn't too bad. :)

See what you can do RoyalWolfe, learning by example works well most of the time, certainly for me, while I'm trying to get my head around the more advanced logic used in this game. ;)

Greets,

Jan

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6

Greets,

Jan
    There's a variety of variations people have requested so we'll cover how to make those different variations in the next video.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Man, I am totally going to use that universal dock, especially in the future when there might be air you don't want lost into space when walking between ships. :) Good for boarding parties boarding neutral ships too. xP

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There's a variety of variations people have requested so we'll cover how to make those different variations in the next video.
    Nice, I look forward to see your modifications. :cool:

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Should expand it to be a universal AIRLOCK dock with 2 sets of doors that can only be both open when a ship is docked for the possible future when air is a thing.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Hey Bench, would you possibly be able to do a tutorial for us on Logic jumpdrives?