Starmade Logic Tutorials

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    All the buttons that go to one floor feed into a single activation block that controls that door.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    All the buttons that go to one floor feed into a single activation block that controls that door.
    Yes, but how does it know to reverse gravity once the player has fallen up to that floor? If he explained that in the video, I totally missed it, and haven't found it yet.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    There are indents in the shaft by each door. By the ceiling in each of those indents are area triggers. those are what reverse gravity.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but I got a question;

Having a airlock that automatically places/unplaces a player into the ship's gravity using the area-activation modules, can other players affect the other player's gravity status who had used the same airlock earlier?

I did some testing before and noticed that even if I wasn't in the airlock, hitting a button that runs the gravity/ungravity procedure affects me aswell.

Reaction score
    I do apologise if my question is dead simple, but I cannot seem to get a simple plexstorage light indicator to work. I've seen videos on it and read the devnotes back when it was implemented, but no matter how I try to set this up, it just doesn't work. The layout (from what I've seen) should be simple:

* put down a plexstorage
    * put an OR-gate next to it (should it be separately connected to the chest or not?)
    * put a lamp on top of the OR-gate and connect OR->lamp

From what I understood, this setup should light up the lamp when the storage box becomes non-empty. Alas, I cannot get it to work - my OR-gate is standing dead still no matter what I put or take out from the box next to it! I have also tried to explicitly connect the OR-gate to my box (gate:C, storage:V), to no avail.

There must be something VERY obvious I am missing, but what?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I do apologise if my question is dead simple, but I cannot seem to get a simple plexstorage light indicator to work. I've seen videos on it and read the devnotes back when it was implemented, but no matter how I try to set this up, it just doesn't work. The layout (from what I've seen) should be simple:

* put down a plexstorage
    * put an OR-gate next to it (should it be separately connected to the chest or not?)
    * put a lamp on top of the OR-gate and connect OR->lamp

From what I understood, this setup should light up the lamp when the storage box becomes non-empty. Alas, I cannot get it to work - my OR-gate is standing dead still no matter what I put or take out from the box next to it! I have also tried to explicitly connect the OR-gate to my box (gate:C, storage:V), to no avail.

There must be something VERY obvious I am missing, but what?
    This feature currently only works when the chest pulls items from another storage chest. So you can have chest B pulling all items from chest A, you put your items into chest A and when chest B pulls them it will activate an OR next to it.

Reaction score
    Well I have it set up this way: chest B is the master, and chest A the slave; since that was the only way I can get B to pull stuff from A - the other way around was not working (yes, this whole system is confusing). Next to B is an OR gate, but it is not activating at all when I put stuff to chest A, although the items do transfer. Do I need some extra connections?

EDIT: I did something wrong, but now the OR gate seems to be activated when the chest pulls items to it. Now I just need a way to turn it off after a while...need to see all your videos to remember whether it was pulse delimiter or pulse extender...;)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Well I have it set up this way: chest B is the master, and chest A the slave; since that was the only way I can get B to pull stuff from A - the other way around was not working (yes, this whole system is confusing). Next to B is an OR gate, but it is not activating at all when I put stuff to chest A, although the items do transfer. Do I need some extra connections?

EDIT: I did something wrong, but now the OR gate seems to be activated when the chest pulls items to it. Now I just need a way to turn it off after a while...need to see all your videos to remember whether it was pulse delimiter or pulse extender...;)
    You can take the OR from the chest and feed it into a pulse limiter or use it as the input for a pulse limiter itself if you want a pulse when an item enters the chest.

Reaction score
    The problem is that the chest pulling stuff from the other one doesn't seem to give a "pulse" (or light up the OR gate) every time it pulls something to itself. I do not understand its logic. Sometimes it ticks off the OR gate, most of the time it doesn't. It's either bugged or I still don't understand the logcs of it. Very confusing.

This just isn't going to be very useful, if the OR gate only responds to a "pull" operation from another chest/factory, because then a player can come and empty the chest without any lights being able to indicate it. This should be more like the chest+comparator thingys in Minecraft.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The problem is that the chest pulling stuff from the other one doesn't seem to give a "pulse" (or light up the OR gate) every time it pulls something to itself. I do not understand its logic. Sometimes it ticks off the OR gate, most of the time it doesn't. It's either bugged or I still don't understand the logcs of it. Very confusing.
    Are you trying to have a pulse every time the chest grabs an item? Also what is pulling items out of the chest. Currently only chests pulling items out will also effect the OR gate, factories don't work. I found that out trying to make an automated factory using logic.

Reaction score
    Yes I was but I just realised it is not possible atm? The OR gate only activates when the inventory goes from empty to non-empty...

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yes I was but I just realised it is not possible atm? The OR gate only activates when the inventory goes from empty to non-empty...
    It's quite possible, I can think of two tricks to get the job done. I'm not sure exactly what your trying to sort and how many.

Anyway, you can wire the OR gate into an item clock and make that pulse every cycle as long as the OR gate is high. You can also rig up an intermediate chest system so not only one chest is pulling items. The item clock is probably the most consistent option as I had A -> B -> C chests and B was being skipped all together which will not always the case.

Reaction score
    OK, I confess my "redstone skills" are a bit rusty. What I basically would like to have is an indicato light that is only on, when there's stuff in the chest. No need to indicate full chests, only when there's someting in it, the light will be on, when there's nothing, the light goes off. Would that really be possible? Maybe do another great short video about it, eh? :)

My automatic sorter already works, but I just need the indicator lights...

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    OK, I confess my "redstone skills" are a bit rusty. What I basically would like to have is an indicato light that is only on, when there's stuff in the chest. No need to indicate full chests, only when there's someting in it, the light will be on, when there's nothing, the light goes off. Would that really be possible? Maybe do another great short video about it, eh? :)

My automatic sorter already works, but I just need the indicator lights...
    That should be really easy to achieve with just the light wired to the OR gate from the chest, no need for complicated pulses. The only problem is you would need a way to manually turn off the OR gate when you empty the chest, or use a dump chest to pull the items out before you remove them yourself.

Hopefully they will respond to manual input and factories in the future but I imagine that bug isn't high on the priority list right now.

Reaction score
    Yeah, well thanks a lot for your valuable advice! Maybe I will keep my setup as it is, and wait for the chests to respond to manual input/output...at some point I hope. :D

Reaction score
    So, Bench, isn't there any way of detecting both of these two phase transitions within only one detector field:
    1. When someone enters the field
    2. When someone exits it completely
    The reason I'm asking is because we are building a big space station, which will have long corridors for the hangar bay. I'd like to build automatic doors to the beginning of the corridor such that when a (possibly long) ship comes in front of the door, it opens up, and lets the ship through. When the ship has completely left the detector field, the door closes behind it automatically.

But detectors aren't built to emit a signal when they are exited, right? Any foolproof way of circumventing this?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So, Bench, there isn't any way of detecting both of these two phase transitions within only one detector field:
    1. When someone enters the field
    2. When someone exits it completely
    The reason I'm asking is because we are building a big space station, which will have long corridors for the hangar bay. I'd like to build automatic doors to the beginning of the corridor such that when a (possibly long) ship comes in front of the door, it opens up, and lets the ship through. When the ship has completely left the detector field, the door closes behind it automatically.

But detectors aren't built to emit a signal when they are exited, right? Any foolproof way of circumventing this?
    What I did is activate the door for X seconds and then close off automatically.

Reaction score
    What I did is activate the door for X seconds and then close off automatically.
    Yeah, I'll probably end up doing the same. Wish the detector fields would work a different way, though. It would make creating automatic doors so much easier.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    A little question about the J-K Flip Flops #08 tutorial in this thread. Is that broken in the current release build (0.1867)?
    I've been trying to get that to work all afternoon, but it just won't do what's shown here. Both exit activation and Nor blocks stay inactive or go to that state when I give input.

Greets,

Jan

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Tutorials #03, #04, #05, #07, #08 are out of date. i've released new versions for some of them, need to do it for the others.