StarMade 0.175 Custom Server Textures, Fixes, and Secret

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I assume you're referring to me, seeing as how my only community content is a station for the contest? If you're interested in checking out my ships so I can show you that it isn't impossible to fit a ship with an effect system or two, I'll go right ahead. I prefer to keep my designs private as I don't think my exteriors are very good, currently.
    I never said it was impossible, at up to 10% of a ship mass I think it's impractical. Remember hat's 11 modules for every 100 systems,decoration/hull blocks. Add lets say Ion and you now need 24 modules for every 100 systems/decoration/hull blocks.

I really wish a dev would chime in here, is it supposed to be 1 module for %mass or %block because it makes a big difference. I am a little worried that 1:100 may also be considered OP but half the current values may be acceptable for all but overdrive, I'm not sure why a movement system is so hard to achieve 100% efficiency on. In default server that's only 150 compared to 75, not really a game breaker.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    When there wasn't any bug it was 1 module per 10 mass.
    That changed due to a bug to 1 module per 100 mass.
    Now due the the fix it is 1 module per 1 mass.

It isn't the second, the last is the opposite extreme of the first, so it should be the second value (at least that's what I think).

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Schine knows about it, i'm sure we'll know what it will be soon, (when that bug gets either closed or "fixed" again).

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I never said it was impossible, at up to 10% of a ship mass I think it's impractical. Remember hat's 11 modules for every 100 systems,decoration/hull blocks. Add lets say Ion and you now need 24 modules for every 100 systems/decoration/hull blocks.

I really wish a dev would chime in here, is it supposed to be 1 module for %mass or %block because it makes a big difference. I am a little worried that 1:100 may also be considered OP but half the current values may be acceptable for all but overdrive, I'm not sure why a movement system is so hard to achieve 100% efficiency on. In default server that's only 150 compared to 75, not really a game breaker.
    Except that Ion only needs 1/20th and not 1/10th for max efficiency.

Personally, I think that all 1/4oth modules should be nerfed to 1/60th, 1/20th modules to 1/40th, and 1/10th modules to 1/20th. Power costs also need a serious nerf. I agree the costs are a little too high, I just think 1/100th is way too easy.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Except that Ion only needs 1/20th and not 1/10th for max efficiency.

Personally, I think that all 1/4oth modules should be nerfed to 1/60th, 1/20th modules to 1/40th, and 1/10th modules to 1/20th. Power costs also need a serious nerf. I agree the costs are a little too high, I just think 1/100th is way too easy.
    *Looks at chart again*

Oh so you're right there. Wow this makes the cost of overdrive WAY higher then I thought... I do agree 1/10th of what they are now might be extreme, 1/2 is probably very acceptable... Except Overdrive, I still think it shouldn't be that punishing to get higher speed ships.

Also This needs to be fixed:

That's 1 Modules for every ~1.7 blocks to get the Ion effect for that one shield capacitor.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    My 2 cents on ION effects, the ION should be put back the way it was. The power requirements for 100% increase was a lot. If you increase power requirements a little bit for larger ships great. On my corvette, I only had enough power regen to increase the shields 60%, and this severely limited everything else because of power requirements.

IMO, effects don't need "balancing". Everyone can use them to equal effect, they are already inherently "balanced". Now all we need to do is make them USABLE and FUN!

Reactions: Njord

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    My 2 cents on ION effects, the ION should be put back the way it was. The power requirements for 100% increase was a lot. If you increase power requirements a little bit for larger ships great. On my corvette, I only had enough power regen to increase the shields 60%, and this severely limited everything else because of power requirements.

IMO, effects don't need "balancing". Everyone can use them to equal effect, they are already inherently "balanced". Now all we need to do is make them USABLE and FUN!
    100% ion meant you took 0 shield damage on non-ion weapons. If you went 0ver 100% you'd GAIN SHIELDS when taking damage. No thanks, that was OP as hell. The 60% cap is a good thing.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    if that's how ION worked, then it was broken, you're right there. I just think that increasing the numbers of blocks required significantly will over limit a ton of designs. They seem to be pushing us toward ultra specialization rather than being able to be semi diverse. We already can't have every type of system on our ship without them being really weak, but now we're at a point where you can only choose 1 thing, and that's it.

Having a real life engine that can do 400 horse power, and then installing a unit that would improve airflow, injection, and add NOS for a 100% increase in horsepower doesn't weigh hardly anything compared to the engine it's boosting.

Also, you can increase the strength of a structure by 100% by adding some cables and struts that are a fraction of the original structure's weight.

If you simply change the shape and size of the powder pellets in a rifle cartridge, you can change the burning rates and therefore the final speed of the bullet by a factor of 3 using the same powder weight.

In some chemical reactions, putting a 5% volume of a catalyst or some other chemical in with the main reactive chemicals, you can increase the energy release rate by a factor of 100.

It's not unreasonable to have a lightweight modifier, that improves the output exponentially.[DOUBLEPOST=1413842875,1413842574][/DOUBLEPOST]
    You're not his bro, pal.
    I'm not your pal, friend

Reactions: Njord
    Reaction score
    Really looking forward to the universe changes. I'd also like to see some of the configs fixed like the Collision threshold (so much testing. I should have looked to the forums first).

Reaction score
    if that's how ION worked, then it was broken, you're right there. I just think that increasing the numbers of blocks required significantly will over limit a ton of designs. They seem to be pushing us toward ultra specialization rather than being able to be semi diverse. We already can't have every type of system on our ship without them being really weak, but now we're at a point where you can only choose 1 thing, and that's it.

Having a real life engine that can do 400 horse power, and then installing a unit that would improve airflow, injection, and add NOS for a 100% increase in horsepower doesn't weigh hardly anything compared to the engine it's boosting.

Also, you can increase the strength of a structure by 100% by adding some cables and struts that are a fraction of the original structure's weight.

If you simply change the shape and size of the powder pellets in a rifle cartridge, you can change the burning rates and therefore the final speed of the bullet by a factor of 3 using the same powder weight.

In some chemical reactions, putting a 5% volume of a catalyst or some other chemical in with the main reactive chemicals, you can increase the energy release rate by a factor of 100.

It's not unreasonable to have a lightweight modifier, that improves the output exponentially.[DOUBLEPOST=1413842875,1413842574][/DOUBLEPOST]

I'm not your pal, friend
    Real life it's not balanced, you can't design a game based on real life, that's the difference between a simulator and a game, a game it's not realistic, it's plausible. Enough to be logic, but always balanced to make it fun.

I still think that if you want a 100% effect it should be the only one on your ship. Another way to achieve some balance it's not to increase the requirements in a constant way, it may need less mass/effect blocks until you get 50% and then start to cost more and more. For example, you'll need a 5% ratio until 50%, 10% from 50-75% and 15% from 75 to 100%.

This way it's easy to have various effects in a mid ratio, but you'll have to dedicate a ship it you want an specific effect.

As I see, if you want an speed car, you'll not be able to make it an off road also.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    As I see, if you want an speed car, you'll not be able to make it an off road also
    You've clearly not seen some of the off road desert races that happen here. These cars will blow your socks off.

Reaction score
    that's the difference between a simulator and a game, a game it's not realistic
    I think in ways this is a simulator either way, it should be in some ways related to real life due to the fact that it would make more sense if you played metal gear solid and snakes arm was on his head you couldn't make the argument "its a game its not realistic" making an argument by comparing one thing to a real life situation is perfectly OK in any situation as long as its relevant.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    Starmade it's not a simulator. In simulators the objective it's to mimic real life, you design the mechanics ignoring if there's a "ever winning config" or not, the important part it's that all behaves the way it should behave, because the fun factor it's on the possibility to "live" an experience like in the real world. We can say you can "ignore the player" because the simulation is more important.

What you've described is the plausibility I've wrote before. You need the game to look logic, because otherwise players get lost when something occurs in a way different of what they expect. But the difference with a simulator is that you need to design you mechanics to be balanced to give all the players equal possibilities to succeed in the same conditions. When in a game a mechanic or config is better than the others, you'll see all the players using this mechanic. You don't need to go far, you may remember the game some time ago when the only possible way to plan your weapon system was to use large laser arrays, missiles were there, but no one used them.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Why StarMade IS NOT a simulator: (I'm not saying it's bad, just to clarify)
    - Gravity (the way it works)
    - You are constantly being "stopped" while in space
    - thrust mechanic
    - CUBES
    - everything have the same mass (currently)
    - you can walk in vaccum of space without helmet
    - SOUND IN SPACE
    - you can fly through the sun
    - Planets having size of... Something way smaller than actual planets
    - some other details

And yes, I do realize some of them might change.
    Still, StarMade rocks.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    My favorite change would be the implementation of the hp system and lowered mass for non-hull blocks. Just use ice crystals to build a very light ship!