StarMade 0.175 Custom Server Textures, Fixes, and Secret

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    just recently come back to starmade after playing some other games and im impressed about the changes XD the new planets are awesome and multislots, crafting system updates and something about a spider mob, unfortunately i havent been able to test the crafting system as every time i attempt to buy a recipe with blocks i get crash to desktop with error message, clean install on windows 7 wondering if someone can give me some help.
    LOL! You really have been away for a looooooooong time, haven't you :p

Here is the information on the new crafting system, I wrote it all myself. Hope it is helpful, btw, nobody let me know if it was good enough, but nobody said it was bad, so it should be fine. Anyway, here is the article on crafting that I wrote for the wiki: http://starmadepedia.net/wiki/Crafting

Let me know if I left enything out.

Edit: So the old recipes currently aren't in use, and the new information is on the wiki.

Reactions: Skypheonix
    Reaction score
    LOL! You really have been away for a looooooooong time, haven't you :p

Here is the information on the new crafting system, I wrote it all myself. Hope it is helpful, btw, nobody let me know if it was good enough, but nobody said it was bad, so it should be fine. Anyway, here is the article on crafting that I wrote for the wiki: http://starmadepedia.net/wiki/Crafting

Let me know if I left enything out.

Edit: So the old recipes currently aren't in use, and the new information is on the wiki.
    ahh ok cool yeh i have been away for a loooong time haha thank you for the info XD after putting a factory down on a planet, i found the recipe are all ready there XD thank you for solving my problem.

Reactions: FunnyBunny14
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    dam you schema you telling me im going to need over 20k overdrive blocks for my 300k block ship? no. id just as soon not us the effects at all if i cant shield my ship properly at the same time
    actually 30k for a 300k ship

you dont need them. it will just be slower to charge. there was a bug giving effects 1/100 of the required blocks they are supposed to be.

we can still tweak values should not be balanced of course.
    Yes please tweak, the entry barrier on defensive effects are way to high.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Love the update! :D Multiple worlds will not let people get one step closer to... Adventure maps! :P Plus I finally get to see the "quad" texture in-use. (Nice spiders btw!) ;)

Reaction score
    WHY?
    WHY?????

Whose idea was it to nerf all passive effects by a factor of literally 100%???

This is easily the worst change in the history of the game....
    It's practically unplayable right now

It's like saying "oh here's this fancy awesome stuff you can add to your ship! but you'll never be able to use it because it's all impractical!"

Seriously this game is utterly borked until it is changed back to what it was pre-update.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    WHY?
    WHY?????

Whose idea was it to nerf all passive effects by a factor of literally 100%???

This is easily the worst change in the history of the game....
    It's practically unplayable right now

It's like saying "oh here's this fancy awesome stuff you can add to your ship! but you'll never be able to use it because it's all impractical!"

Seriously this game is utterly borked until it is changed back to what it was pre-update.
    You realise it was bugged beforehand, right? You only needed like 1/100th of the modules you were supposed to.

You aren't supposed to have a ton of defensive effects, just one or two. Specialization is the key here. Not Jack of all Trades.

Reaction score
    You aren't supposed to have a ton of defensive effects, just one or two. Specialization is the key here. Not Jack of all Trades.
    Even if the nerf was only 1/10 instead of 1/100 it would be fine, but now anyone who's built a ship in the past 5 months can throw it into the garbage and start over
    There's already no room in ships when 1/5 of your ship has to be thrusters just to move at the top server speed, not to mention power and weapons. NOBODY will use overdrive if 1/10 of their ship has to be overdrive blocks.

Starmade has moved to a point where shipbuilding takes no skill, because every last feature has to be super-nerfed so that even the worst shipbuilder has to put no effort in order to challenge someone who puts a ton of effort into their ship. There's no point in putting time and effort into planning, designing, and building your ship when nothing is of value any more.
    The people who enjoy the building (as in non-aesthetic building) in this game have been getting the short end of the stick for months and it's getting tiresome

It doesn't matter that "it was not supposed to be like that", the point is that passive effects are currently useless until this is changed.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Even if the nerf was only 1/10 instead of 1/100 it would be fine, but now anyone who's built a ship in the past 5 months can throw it into the garbage and start over
    There's already no room in ships when 1/5 of your ship has to be thrusters just to move at the top server speed, not to mention power and weapons. NOBODY will use overdrive if 1/10 of their ship has to be overdrive blocks.

Starmade has moved to a point where shipbuilding takes no skill, because every last feature has to be super-nerfed so that even the worst shipbuilder has to put no effort in order to challenge someone who puts a ton of effort into their ship. There's no point in putting time and effort into planning, designing, and building your ship when nothing is of value any more.
    The people who enjoy the building (as in non-aesthetic building) in this game have been getting the short end of the stick for months and it's getting tiresome

It doesn't matter that "it was not supposed to be like that", the point is that passive effects are currently useless until this is changed.
    No, the old system made it so it required no skill. Anyone could have all the systems at max efficiency.

Reaction score
    @Lecic
    There's no point in building an overdrive-only or Ion-effect-only ship because both of these are only useful in combat ships. With this nerf, combat ships simply cannot afford to use either of these because the space is better used for shields, weapons or power.
    This applies to ships of every size too.

The nerf needs to be scaled back to 10% of what it is now at least (i.e. 1/100 of blocks for overdrive instead of 1/10)
    That way you can't have every effect under the sun on your ship but you can at least have one or two...

Last edited:
    Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    @Lecic
    There's on point in building an overdrive-only or Ion-effect-only ship because both of these are only useful in combat ships. With this nerf, combat ships simply cannot afford to use either of these because the space is better used for shields, weapons or power.

The nerf needs to be scaled back to 10% of what it is now at least (i.e. 1/100 of blocks for overdrive instead of 1/10)
    That way you can't have every effect under the sun on your ship but you can at least have one or two...
    Not every system requires 10%. Actually, the majority need 5% or 2.5%.
    Effect Graph.png

As you can see clearly, you don't need nearly as many as you say for full overdrive and ion. May I also remind you that you don't need 100% power for them.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    @Lecic
    There's no point in building an overdrive-only or Ion-effect-only ship because both of these are only useful in combat ships. With this nerf, combat ships simply cannot afford to use either of these because the space is better used for shields, weapons or power.

No disagree button, said before, I and others warned people before, you should have read up on current bugs, so an old rating for you.

The bug occured during one update. If anyone had played the game before that update they should have realised that it was a bug.

Oh, and @Lecic just said what I wanted to say.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    View attachment 5353

As you can see clearly, you don't need nearly as many as you say for full overdrive and ion. May I also remind you that you don't need 100% power for them.
    plus, this change will affect everyone. If you have to lower your shield capacity to put more defensive equipment, others will have to do pretty much the same.
    Also, let me remid you... It's still alpha, RIGHT???

Reaction score
    View attachment 5353

Yes, I'm well aware of this chart and have been for some time. Only an uninformed idiot would make a post about something they don't completely understand, which brings me to:
    No disagree button, said before, I and others warned people before, you should have read up on current bugs, so an old rating for you.
    Did you even read my posts, or should I spell it out for you?
    But go right ahead with pressing your pretentious buttons instead of forming a cohesive argument.

Back to that chart:
    Anyone who understands this game even a little knows that the EMP passive effect and the push and pull effects are all useless, and the stop and punch-through passive effects are not worth much. The only four passive effects that are actually good are overdrive, ion, piercing, and explosive, and for their own reasons. Only half of these are not the 1/10, and only one of the four is the 2.5/100. So really it's only feasible to use only the Explosive or only the Ion passive effects on a warship with these settings.

plus, this change will affect everyone. If you have to lower your shield capacity to put more defensive equipment, others will have to do pretty much the same.
    Everyone is also affected by server lag
    Does this make server lag a good thing?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'm certainly not saying every ship should be able to have every module but 1/10 is much to high for this. That's a huge sacrifice in systems to achieve a single bonus. There are also other problems, the modules themselves add weight, so for every 10 modules you place, you have to add an extra one to cover those ten. That means it's actually 11 effect modules for every 100 blocks of hull, decoration, lights, computers, and systems. Basing the number of modules on a ships over all mass has the added misfortune of making you pay for turrets and docked ships when they see no benefit from things like ion, punch, or pierce. I still think the number of modules should be based on what they effect not total mass, that means if you have more thrusters, you need more overdrive modules, more shields equals more ion modules and the like. Some like anti gravity or anti stop make sense to be based on mass.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Everyone is also affected by server lag
    Does this make server lag a good thing?
    If EVERYONE can only have an effect or two at max, then it won't be an issue, because everyone is equal in this case.

I currently think the block amounts are fine. The power cost needs to go down, though. It's not like you need 100% on everything, anyway. Overdrive lets you go 200% server speed, I believe. You can still go insanely fast with a 1/15th or 1/20th setup instead.[DOUBLEPOST=1413764983,1413764883][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I'm certainly not saying every ship should be able to have every module but 1/10 is much to high for this. That's a huge sacrifice in systems to achieve a single bonus. There are also other problems, the modules themselves add weight, so for every 10 modules you place, you have to add an extra one to cover those ten. That means it's actually 11 effect modules for every 100 blocks of hull, decoration, lights, computers, and systems. Basing the number of modules on a ships over all mass has the added misfortune of making you pay for turrets and docked ships when they see no benefit from things like ion, punch, or pierce. I still think the number of modules should be based on what they effect not total mass, that means if you have more thrusters, you need more overdrive modules, more shields equals more ion modules and the like. Some like anti gravity or anti stop make sense to be based on mass.
    Punch, Pierce, and Overdrive are the only systems that need to be 1/10th. Everything else is 1/20th or 1/40th.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    If EVERYONE can only have an effect or two at max, then it won't be an issue, because everyone is equal in this case.

I currently think the block amounts are fine. The power cost needs to go down, though. It's not like you need 100% on everything, anyway. Overdrive lets you go 200% server speed, I believe. You can still go insanely fast with a 1/15th or 1/20th setup instead.[DOUBLEPOST=1413764983,1413764883][/DOUBLEPOST]

Punch, Pierce, and Overdrive are the only systems that need to be 1/10th. Everything else is 1/20th or 1/40th.
    I know the numbers, but the most useful ones are the ones that cost the most... If the intention was to have a max number of systems on a ship a hard cap would do this just fine, or balance the power requirements so multiple systems become nearly impossible. Making it so you have to sacrifice up to 1/10th of your ships systems seems silly. You really might be better off with the extra shields and fire power you could add instead.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I know the numbers, but the most useful ones are the ones that cost the most... If the intention was to have a max number of systems on a ship a hard cap would do this just fine, or balance the power requirements so multiple systems become nearly impossible. Making it so you have to sacrifice up to 1/10th of your ships systems seems silly. You really might be better off with the extra shields and fire power you could add instead.
    Well, let's see. The "most used" effects as far as I can tell are Ion and Overdrive. To have maximum efficiency for both of them on the same ship, you'd need 3/20 blocks on the ship to be those. Seeing as how Ion effectively doubles your shield, you can sacrifice some of your capacitors for Ion instead and still end up stronger at the end of the day. So, it doesn't really take up as much space as it seems.