StarMade 0.175 Custom Server Textures, Fixes, and Secret

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    ...My point is, wear and tear is ANNOYING. Not everyone can or wants to dock everything. I don't want to forget to dock a ship, go on hiatus for a few days, and come back to find that I have to run around my cruiser making all kinds of repairs to things. Nor do I want to be flying around and suddenly have my weapons system break for no reason.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    There WILL be servers that have modified things to extend that it would suit your tastes, just like there are survival, pvp, construction, rp and vanilla type servers right now.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I find it an interesting addition, but we don't even have shipyards in the first place, and current docking mechanics leaves alot to be desired.
    Not even mentioning other things.

Reaction score
    There WILL be servers that have modified things to extend that it would suit your tastes, just like there are survival, pvp, construction, rp and vanilla type servers right now.
    Yeah but the DEFAULT config shouldn't have this, even the RPG genre is doing away with the shitty repair-over-time systems because they add no challenge, depth, or fun to the game; they're simply annoying and distract from the fun aspects of the game.

It might work if we had automated blueprint repair, but I don't see it being a welcome addition.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I agree that the overdrive changes went a little too far. I wouldn't agree that the game is broke because of it. I'm hopeful that they will revisit the ratio soon and find a better compromise. Personally, I would like it if there was a fall-off on the benefit of overdrive with the number of blocks. The idea being to allow smaller ships, with less space available, to benefit from overdrive, while the systems have to work harder to push a massive capital ship.

The server I play on has large sectors (5000, I believe,) and the top speed set to 100. Having my ships max speed with overdrive drop from 200 down to 105 makes a huge difference in getting anywhere. The most critical need I have for overdrive is simply escaping. Having my unarmed, lightly shielded, shuttle's max speed drop to 105 makes it far more risky to venture away from the hangar bay.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I agree that the overdrive changes went a little too far. I wouldn't agree that the game is broke because of it. I'm hopeful that they will revisit the ratio soon and find a better compromise. Personally, I would like it if there was a fall-off on the benefit of overdrive with the number of blocks. The idea being to allow smaller ships, with less space available, to benefit from overdrive, while the systems have to work harder to push a massive capital ship.

The server I play on has large sectors (5000, I believe,) and the top speed set to 100. Having my ships max speed with overdrive drop from 200 down to 105 makes a huge difference in getting anywhere. The most critical need I have for overdrive is simply escaping. Having my unarmed, lightly shielded, shuttle's max speed drop to 105 makes it far more risky to venture away from the hangar bay.
    Yes it's far from a broken system. I also have my test server set to 5000 and jump drives are a must to do anything and that's another system that needs to be looked into. With big things on the horizon "soon™" striking a proper balance is even more important IMHO. I got tired of jumping sectors every fight but luckily I rarely leave my home sector and when I do I teleport myself one sector over to do weapon tests as it's protected from spawns but not protected from damage.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Master Builder Bronze
    Yeah but the DEFAULT config shouldn't have this
    So having the freedom of modifying the default config for all your heart's content is a problem for you?

the RPG genre
    I wonder what sort of mental gymnastics it requires to jump from space-building game into roleplaying game but okay.

is doing away with the shitty repair-over-time systems because they add no challenge, depth, or fun to the game; they're simply annoying and distract from the fun aspects of the game.
    You clearly have no idea what you are talking about now and you are wrong about it too.
    The RPG genre definitely isn't doing away with the wear-n-tear, because it does add into the challenge, depth and fun. You have something to do in-between fighting and travelling, which adds to the fun.

Fallout, Metro, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and numerous other recent game series still has that game mechanic in them.

Not even the RPG-genre is doing away with it, you are wrong. All you have is your opinion and opinions =/= facts.

Have a nice day

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    "Wear and tear" won't be fun in starmade because of the way it's designed. The universe is massive and therefore getting to a repair station would prove to be a bit of a problem. And there of course also is the problem of things breaking in fights for no reason.

"Wear and tear" also isn't needed because of the fighting mechanics. Blocks can be lost during fights, which makes it unnecessary to have things break down iver time.

Damage based ammunition would be an interesting mechanic to be able to add to the game though, but that's another story.

Reaction score
    "OH BOY, it's almost time for something on my ship to randomly break on me so I can go into build mode and try and peep out the one block in 100,000 that broke! It's a good thing this mechanic is here or else I'd have nothing else to do in my downtime except for the significantly more logical options like craft, build, fight, explore or any other mechanic that might make me feel I spent the last bit of my time doing something worthwhile."

I had a counter argument laid out, I did away with that and chose to simply describe the scene you've painted to me to see if I understand you correctly.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    No, it isn't. The power is supposed to be simple, and this is. You'll need a lot of reactors, so it isn't that annoying.
    I find it annoying, you don't, and I'm ok with that. Don't tell what should I do or feel.
    Also; do you know what's simple? The fact that every kind of reactor needs fuel. And no, I'm not saying we NEED that, I just find it an interesting and logical addition (AGAIN, imo). Also, that would be pretty much a simulation of ship upkeep without ship parts breaking (since you need power to do everything; not even mentioning a reason to actually use small ships/shuttles to save fuel).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I find it annoying, you don't, and I'm ok with that. Don't tell what should I do or feel.
    Also; do you know what's simple? The fact that every kind of reactor needs fuel. And no, I'm not saying we NEED that, I just find it an interesting and logical addition (AGAIN, imo). Also, that would be pretty much a simulation of ship upkeep without ship parts breaking (since you need power to do everything; not even mentioning a reason to actually use small ships/shuttles to save fuel).
    With all due respect, you obviously haven't tried to build a massive ship using just the crafting system. All building related things are eventually going to have the crafting system as best option, so you really should be comparing game usage to that. It is a lot harder than it looks, even if you use planets as your main resource income.

You definitely shouldn't base your opinions on what you get after you've used commands and/or shops to get your ship, because that currently is the equivalent of cheating and makes your opinions not very useful in discussions like this one.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    With all due respect, you obviously haven't tried to build a massive ship using just the crafting system. All building related things are eventually going to have the crafting system as best option, so you really should be comparing game usage to that. It is a lot harder than it looks, even if you use planets as your main resource income.

You definitely shouldn't base your opinions on what you get after you've used commands and/or shops to get your ship, because that currently is the equivalent of cheating and makes your opinions not very useful in discussions like this one.
    Listen. I'm not trying to make some false assumptions (like someone else), and I'm just saying my opinion. I understand that you don't have to like even a tiny bit of what I've said.
    Also it's quite funny hearing this from person who thinks that ammunition addition would be nice.
    Anyway, how using shops is cheating? Plus, I find it quite logical that lone person should not be able to use huge ships.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Listen. I'm not trying to make some false assumptions (like someone else), and I'm just saying my opinion. I understand that you don't have to like even a tiny bit of what I've said.
    Also it's quite funny hearing this from person who thinks that ammunition addition would be nice.
    Anyway, how using shops is cheating? Plus, I find it quite logical that lone person should not be able to use huge ships.
    The shop economy is still a bit unbalanced. It is a lot better now, but at the time I wrote my previous reply I was a bit angry at you for being against literally everything I said. It currently is actually quite good with the recent price changes. Only when you previously had a large ship is it still unbalanced, but when you start over it actually is fine.

My logic for having damaged based ammunition (key work here is damage) is that people can currently just constantly nuke other players. There would be a high initial value, which can then be increased further to a certain level. That level would be a set amount depending on what weapons is being used. It could then be recharged by a station based charger for weapons. The charge could also be reset by building a new ship. If weapons only do up to about 400 damage a second, then then no charge would be lost. Charge loss would be determined by the total amount of damage each weapon of that type on the same ship can do, and each computer has its own charge. Charge increases on a decreasing curve when the dps gets larger, until said hard cap is reached.
    I feel that that idea would, as I said, limit nukes per fight, and it also would create an interesting mechanic for the game.

The difference between that and your "wear and tear" is that it isn't random. Because that is the biggest flaw with that plan: things will break at times they shouldn't break.
    Second flaw is that it also applies to other blocks that are necessary for a ship to function. You don't want to suddenly lose thrust, power or shields.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    The difference between that and your "wear and tear" is that it isn't random. Because that is the biggest flaw with that plan: things will break at times they shouldn't break.
    Second flaw is that it also applies to other blocks that are necessary for a ship to function. You don't want to suddenly lose thrust, power or shields.
    I know. But there is a soultion for people who really want that; It could simply make them "rusty" (put their hp down to 1) so blocks would be very fragile, while you don't loose any of them.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I know. But there is a soultion for people who really want that; It could simply make them "rusty" (put their hp down to 1) so blocks would be very fragile, while you don't loose any of them.
    But it still would be annoying and I don't feel that it would add anything to the game.