StarMade 0.16 - Crafting and BattleMode

Reaction score
    But still we lack chairs :( the most important feature to the game, lol. I can't wait to check out the new placeable (!) blocks!

BTW if I'm correct is FTL next on the list after the crafting system is fully polished?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    You are probably the only person in this community who feels 100% Ion support (invulnerable shields) is a good thing. Putting huge power drain beams arrays (which are kinda crappy for the blockcount, IMO) on every ship to deal with that kind of meta would not be fun. Nothing could ever be destroyed in 1v1.
    I'm not saying huge power drain beam arrays; however, specially designated cruisers and/or fighters with EMP-reinforced weapons would add a little more depth to combat. And the focus of combat shouldn't be on 1v1, but on fleet battles; groups of friends duking it out, working together to create a more entertaining fight than two ships strafing and shooting, which is all combat is at this point: holding down the left mouse button until the shield hit indicator turns red.

Furthermore, I would support it being, say, capped at 95% or so; that would leave room for tactical depth while still preventing ships from being completely invulnerable.

Also, it's not that hard to make weapons that nullify ions. I recently made a ship of around 800 mass that can empty the power reserves of a ship of 50k mass in under 30 seconds, with room for plenty of other systems.

Finally, "You are probably the only person in this community" is a rather harsh way to state your point. You could get it across much better by simply stating why you think Ion Shields being above 50% is a bad things. I can guarantee that I'm not the only one in the community who thinks this way.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    schema That is honestly one of the worst charts I've ever seen. How are we supposed to understand, or even read that?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    umm would be really nice if the ores spawned in veins

Reaction score
    Did you want modules to be six times more expensive then their computers? (i.e. Salvage cannons are six times more resource intensive then the salvage computer)

In the shops, the computers cost more then the modules in credits.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    after trying it out for a few minutes i've made some notes

1. for starters its a little confusing how to craft. 3 buttons on the side each leading to their own screen (all of them even look alike) for only 1 step in the process. Would be better to combine all of them into one basic multi purpose crafting screen rather than having to make players keep switching screens for the next step in the process.
    2. making a factory using only your inventory crafting can take forever. 20 metal meshes/crystal circuits require way too much time to make since crafting is time based rather than just pressing a simple "Craft" button.
    3. Cubatoms? are we even still going to use them? (breaking a block down into cubatoms)
    4. only the Macro factory enhancers are available from the shop. I didn't even know that there was a Micro and refinery enhancer until i look through the recipe list in the macro factory.
    5. Found a bug that causes the game to crash if you exit out of Macro factory recipe resource breakdown by pressing the "X" on the resource breakdown menu

Last edited:
    Reactions: flpsantoss

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    schema That is honestly one of the worst charts I've ever seen. How are we supposed to understand, or even read that?
    It's purely illustrative "hey look at how many recipes there are?!". He has already explained how you can generate your own charts by using TAB + O in game.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    I'm not saying huge power drain beam arrays; however, specially designated cruisers and/or fighters with EMP-reinforced weapons would add a little more depth to combat. And the focus of combat shouldn't be on 1v1, but on fleet battles; groups of friends duking it out, working together to create a more entertaining fight than two ships strafing and shooting, which is all combat is at this point: holding down the left mouse button until the shield hit indicator turns red.

Furthermore, I would support it being, say, capped at 95% or so; that would leave room for tactical depth while still preventing ships from being completely invulnerable.

Also, it's not that hard to make weapons that nullify ions. I recently made a ship of around 800 mass that can empty the power reserves of a ship of 50k mass in under 30 seconds, with room for plenty of other systems.

Finally, "You are probably the only person in this community" is a rather harsh way to state your point. You could get it across much better by simply stating why you think Ion Shields being above 50% is a bad things. I can guarantee that I'm not the only one in the community who thinks this way.
    No, EMP would not add more depth with otherwise invincible ships, they would become necessary and eliminate any other effective meta. 1 tactic to rule them all is not true depth.

And it's a terrible idea to completely sacrifice any form of combat for another as you effectively suggest doing to 1v1's for the sake of fleet combat.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I didn't exactly say over 50% was a bad thing, but 100% defensive ion effect is. Can you imagine it now? 2 ships hitting each other with their powerdrain beams at the same time, hoping someone will slip and get an outage. This dance continues on and on at a stalemate because everyone has to use PDBs. I agree that making combat more tactical than [point crosshairs at enemy and click] is important, but invulnerable shields are not the way to go.

Sorry if you felt I was harsh, but I figured everyone considered 100% ion defensive effect to be broken.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'm getting hit with a pretty nasty bug:

I admined-up some of those new hand weapons (Heal beam and Power beam), tested them out a little, then went to put them away with the other meta items (I'm not carrying them with Me so I have more room for building materials for the station I'm working on). With plex storage open, if I try to click n' drag any weapon, (Laser, Heal, Power) the game locks up hard. I have no choice but to Ctrl-Alt-Del out, at which point I can see a critical error window with the following: NullPointerException: null.

This will not happen if I want to move said items from/to hotbar to personal inventory, only when a plex storage system is open.

I sent off a bug report with the crash logs, but I'm curious if anyone else is getting this.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Holy crap... Green circuit blocks!?! Vakna's gonna have a field day with these things when he/she comes back... o_O

_________________________You will use these blocks. Resistance is futile._______________________

Last edited:
    Reactions: WarmasterRaptor
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    Holy crap... Green circuit blocks!?! Vakna's gonna have a field day with these things when he/she comes back... o_O

_________________________You will use these blocks. Resistance is futile._______________________
    wait ,how?!

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    wait ,how?!
    They're the Active Bastyn Circuits or whatever, under Manufacturing in the shop. (There are two others, not to mention circuits for every other crystal. They all tile smoothly, colors aside.)

Reaction score
    Came across a bug/crash of sorts

Already submitted a bug report, but here's the crash message anyways.

Reaction score
    thank you schema for another fantastic update. both issues i was having with the previous version have been solved. fragments no longer lag my system, no matter how many i break at a time. and planets are fully generating again regardless of their size. (tho atmospheres are still not getting resized.)

so thank you schema for all the amazing work you are putting into this game, along with the entire schine team. :)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    schema not scema. there are more decoration blocks for crafting rooms with the ingredients for crafting and does the medicine cabinet work

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Wow. This is awesome, keep up the good work, guys! What's next on the agenda? Or is it a secret (Or you don't even know, haha)?

Reaction score
    I guess the chart isn't meant for practical use, but at the resolution it was uploaded at the text is unreadable. This is an example of 4k or 8k resolutions being useful since you have to zoom in to read it, degrading image quality. (also the .jpg compression doesn't help, that tends to blend small text/adjacent pixels together)

And I was just getting ice crystals out of my builds! I mean my last ship only had 50% of its hull coated in them, that's progress from 95%.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Wow. This is awesome, keep up the good work, guys! What's next on the agenda? Or is it a secret (Or you don't even know, haha)?
    If i remember correctly schema said in one of the Q&As that after the crafting system was implemented he was going to focus on FTL

GET HYPE!!!!!

Reactions: Ithirahad