Reaction score
    Just want to give a big THANK YOU to Bobby Bighoof and all the people involved in getting this program off the ground and to those you that will be working on SMEdit 2. Very much appreciated.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't seem to be receiving a confirmation email. Its not in my inbox or my spam folder. Is there another site to download this from?

Reaction score
    Bobby, I have scoured up more information for SMEdit Classic and 32-bit Windows+Java that may be of use to you.

As we all know, 32-bit Windows has a memory ceiling of 4 GB of RAM. Of this, a 25% to 30% of this is automatically allocated to the OS kernel for use. This leaves the user with 3.2 to 3.6 GB of RAM for other programs to use (your mileage may vary).

32-bit Java has a theoretical limit of 4 gigs as well. However it is constrained by factors such as the free memory of the swap file, kernel address space usage, memory fragmentation, and the VM (virtual machine) overhead. As a result the actual in practice memory 32-bit Java has available to it is much lower than 4 GB. In fact, in modern 32-bit Windows computers (from XP to Windows 7), the actual estimated maximum heap size 32-bit Java can use for applications (such as Starmade and SMEdit) will vary from 1.1 GB to 1.6 GB (I'm limited to 1152 MB/1.1 GB for SMEdit).

Because of this. SMEdit Classic's feature to select how much memory to give it is best suited to 64-bit systems (and the vast majority of us already do). This information won't matter for the 64-bit users. It will for 32-bit users. If SMEdit Classic's startup screen can be made detect if you are on 32-bit Windows, could it also be made to display a message to the user that it cannot go over 1 GB of memory due to the limitations of 32-bit Java on their 32-bit OS?

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Just want to give a big THANK YOU to Bobby Bighoof and all the people involved in getting this program off the ground and to those you that will be working on SMEdit 2. Very much appreciated.
    Thank you :)

I don't seem to be receiving a confirmation email. Its not in my inbox or my spam folder. Is there another site to download this from?
    if the issue is not resolved pm me here with the log in name and I will manually activate it.

Bobby, I have scoured up more information for SMEdit Classic and 32-bit Windows+Java that may be of use to you.

As we all know, 32-bit Windows has a memory ceiling of 4 GB of RAM. Of this, a 25% to 30% of this is automatically allocated to the OS kernel for use. This leaves the user with 3.2 to 3.6 GB of RAM for other programs to use (your mileage may vary).

32-bit Java has a theoretical limit of 4 gigs as well. However it is constrained by factors such as the free memory of the swap file, kernel address space usage, memory fragmentation, and the VM (virtual machine) overhead. As a result the actual in practice memory 32-bit Java has available to it is much lower than 4 GB. In fact, in modern 32-bit Windows computers (from XP to Windows 7), the actual estimated maximum heap size 32-bit Java can use for applications (such as Starmade and SMEdit) will vary from 1.1 GB to 1.6 GB (I'm limited to 1152 MB/1.1 GB for SMEdit).

Because of this. SMEdit Classic's feature to select how much memory to give it is best suited to 64-bit systems (and the vast majority of us already do). This information won't matter for the 64-bit users. It will for 32-bit users. If SMEdit Classic's startup screen can be made detect if you are on 32-bit Windows, could it also be made to display a message to the user that it cannot go over 1 GB of memory due to the limitations of 32-bit Java on their 32-bit OS?
    I will see what can be done thank you for the idea it is very helpful.

Reaction score
    This is most likely a really stupid question but i'll ask anyways: Where is the option to change certain blocks into other types? For example to change all black hull blocks into white. I can't seem to find it.

EDIT: Found that sneaky option in the Plugins tab next to the memory usage.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Hmm. I'm having an issue with schematic importing. I've downloaded a schematic_map.xml and tweaked some of the blocks in it (using "schematic2blueprint" to figure out what blocks were used in it first) and then imported it into smedit_classic. The program refuses to honor the schematic_map file I put in the jo_plugins folder so I end up with a city whose walls, roads and buildings are made of 99% grey hull instead of a variety of slightly different planet terrains.

What's going on?

Reaction score
    Any idea what could cause the error: Unhandled exception in thread Open (ship name) ? I can't even open ships that could be loaded yesterday.

Reaction score
    Any idea what could cause the error: Unhandled exception in thread Open (ship name) ? I can't even open ships that could be loaded yesterday.
    You need to give more detail than this. Were you messing around in an older version of StarMade and then moving back to the current build? Beyond that, assuming the simple act of "File > Open" is making it break... The experience I noticed is that a couple of NPC space stations (both of them pirate) broke somehow and while StarMade could load them, I had to manually delete them from the database before SMedit would work properly.

To help see which object is making it shoot itself in the foot, load SMedit via the command prompt. That way the command prompt window will act as a debugging logger and track what SMedit is doing as you load, edit and otherwise save objects. If something breaks SMEdit, the command prompt window will give you the specific file name of the problem object that made it choke (though you may have to scroll up through the technical gibberish to find the file it tried to load when it failed).

If its just failing because the open menu is borked.. Dunno what to do about that. Don't think reinstalling SMedit Classic will fix anything.

Reaction score
    I haven't messed with anything. I just tried to load a ship to move it's core but it didn't work. After that i tried loading other blueprints that could be loaded before but it still couldn't do it.
    Here is a pic of it: The error is on the bottom left corner.

Reaction score
    I haven't messed with anything. I just tried to load a ship to move it's core but it didn't work. After that i tried loading other blueprints that could be loaded before but it still couldn't do it.
    Here is a pic of it: The error is on the bottom left corner.
    Let's get the debug info. Since the debug tools for SMedit Classic don't save the errors to a file, we have to do it a bit differently.

Open a command prompt (known also as DOS, but it really isn't ever since Vista came out) and navigate (in the prompt with cd command. If you don't know how to work a DOS prompt with commands, please let me know) to your StarMade folder. Type the following into the command prompt: java -d64 -jar jo_sm.jar

This command will call Java to run jo_sm.jar in 64-bit mode (-d64 is how java activates 64-bit memory mapping, otherwise it runs it in 32-bit with heavy memory allocation limitations). You should see the command prompt window scroll through a few lines of technical stuff as the SMedit launcher is loaded.

When the launcher is loaded, set your memory allocation preferences as usual and start SMedit proper. The command prompt window will remain open and be the main debug output window at this point and closing the command prompt window will actually close SMedit as well, so don't touch it yet.

Try to load a ship into SMedit and pay close attention to what the command prompt window spits out. It should be outputting a lot of nearly nonsensical babble about what it tried to do, so ignore that part for the moment and scroll up to the nearest line in the command prompt output that mentioned a file path it tried to load. Copy (copy works differently in DOS than in Windows in general, you have to do it from the window's icon in the upper left corner) the text and paste it into a text editor and trim out everything above the file path of the problem ship (its not relevant right now). This is the chunk of text you want to paste in here. Alternatively you can screenshot the command prompt's output with the window resized to show as much text as possible (it can only be resized so much before it won't let you and you certainly can't maximize it to fullscreen status) so Bobby and perhaps Jo (more likely Bobby) can look at it and start trying to work out what happened and how to fix it.

At the moment all that screenshot does is tell me it couldn't load a chunk segment so the operation failed.

Reaction score
    That is because Bobby made it a requirement to have an account on his site/forum before you can download anything.

Bobby Bighoof said:
    Sorry for the inconvenience of registration, but we need to know who is using the application and to start to build an actual support for the application based on more than just people tossing me a like here on the main game forum. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the love here, but I have way too much in the works and planned for this development and need to start to understand what the needs of the community are who use the application to make sure we get it all or at least what we need.
    There's an alternate method to get SMEdit Classic from its gitub under "main svn".

Links are in this thread for a slightly older version of SMEdit Classic if you'd want to use that. The post with the older SME-C component links is here: http://starmadedock.net/threads/smedit-hot-fix.832/page-3#post-15692

keep in mind that if the version still linked in these forums isn't working for you, you aren't going to get as much support for it since it is an older version. The one on his site is current (with his workload in mind) and will get more support.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    corrections to the main post as well as updates for the new version release as well as the github avn all have been added / adjusted to the main post.

Thanks again and as always to everyone for your support.
    Bobbybighoof, lead project manager
    SMEdit

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Uh, what is the answer for the question to register so I can download? "what app game is our app for"? I have no idea. Have you considered uploading this somewhere alternate where we don't have to create an account and answer a question that's not even answerable by people?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    UPDATE- I figured it out. "starmade". That question is extremely poorly worded.

I can't open any ships or stations, I'm stuck with the default Isanth.

Reaction score
    Keep in mind there are people here who haven't got a clue how to compile anything as they aren't programmers. Maybe at some point when things are stable a pre-compiled version will go up on the github. Until then if you want a precompiled version and don't know what (or how) to do to compile the svn stuff, you have to get it from Bob's SMEdit site.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    its star made ur in a star made forum wtf else could it be
    "what app game is our app for" isn't even proper english, not even close. Starmade isn't an even app, and neither is SMEdit. The question is confusing and horribly worded.

Keep in mind there are people here who haven't got a clue how to compile anything as they aren't programmers. Maybe at some point when things are stable a pre-compiled version will go up on the github. Until then if you want a precompiled version and don't know what (or how) to do to compile the svn stuff, you have to get it from Bob's SMEdit site.
    It'd be a lot more convenient if they'd just upload it to somewhere that doesn't require people to make another useless account for some website they don't care about to download it.

Say, I don't know, mediafire or google drive, they both do that very well.