Saber's Thread

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It makes zero sense as a fluid transfer configuration, but here's a rough mockup using the new pipes, with an emphasis on the elbows. Just to see how they look when used together.
    Wow, we can do some really cool stuff with these. I can't wait. :)

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    As many others before me suggested, using the "slab-slider" to adjust the offset of the handrails would be the most practical way I guess, otherwise the offset variation would be prefered.

The slab system may also work wonders for doing variations of other LOD blocks. Different textures for consoles, different model variations for plant species, so you can create a varied looking garden! Maybe even different light bar styles? Dunno.
    Yes please! Especially with all the upcoming pipe-types it would be really handy to just use the slider instead of having the inventory hotbar occupied with 5 different pipes

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    +1 for full offset for all the reasons Ithi was talking about as well as the fact that it would make it usable for floor grills and against walls as 'ladders'

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    If they do come like this, they should have the 1/4 slab collision box, so that you're not wasting massive amounts of space, and can actually walk up to the railing.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Nice models Saber, those will find good use here. :cool:

Since all implementation suggestions already have been made I suffice with mentioning it would be nice if the slab slider could position the railing, but only if the collision box stays a 0.25th block when doing that, otherwise a full offset position will be the better choice.

And the pipes, oh those pipes, jontyfreack will go MAD. :p

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    Yeah, like a lot of people already said, on edge would be a lot easier to work around.
    Also, if they are on the edge, you can build handrails around corners without having to fill an awkward gap.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Yeah, like a lot of people already said, on edge would be a lot easier to work around.
    Also, if they are on the edge, you can build handrails around corners without having to fill an awkward gap.
    duuuuuude your avatar is literally part of the cover of the book I read yesterday.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Actually, for corners, centered handrails would probably look better... Just use a full block or a wedge for the corner. With the handrails on the side, you have to either have them awkwardly join at a 90-degree angle (that isn't symmetrical) or leave an angular hole that can't be filled by any block we have (or anything at all, besides a 1/8 block corner stick, which probably will not be put into the game any time soon :p ).

Nonetheless, the advantages of side-aligned handrails outweigh this drawback.

Last edited:

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Saber I see now (forgot about slabs)! Forget all my worries about the handrail being in the middle, then. It'll work great like that! :)

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I hadn't intended to do a 90 degree angle pipe, but just to explore all options the first version I made was one and it immediately reinforced that it wasn't what I wanted to to do.

These two viewpoints are exactly why I wanted to bring it to the community, as I can understand arguments for both sides. So I spent the last few minutes prepping the two positions and wanted to show them here.
    So first is the centered position:

Then the offset position:

After having done that I'm leaning a bit more toward the offset position, as Ith you bring up a good point that any sort of inset can be achieved with slabs.
    Why not have both with the slab slider?

Reaction score
    Actually, for corners, centered handrails would probably look better... Just use a full block or a wedge for the corner. With the handrails on the side, you have to either have them awkwardly join at a 90-degree angle (that isn't symmetrical) or leave an angular hole that can't be filled by any block we have (or anything at all, besides a 1/8 block corner stick, which probably will not be put into the game any time soon :p ).

Nonetheless, the advantages of side-aligned handrails outweigh this drawback.
    That's exactly what I wanted to avoid. I think leaving a 1/8th gap is actually preferable to using a full block as corner. At least it works with slabs. Dunno, maybe you're right. Sadly we can't check it before Saber and Kupu have done their magic.

And I guess it's up to taste in the end anyway.

AtraUnam: The source is memory alpha, so I guess that explains that :)

colonel lacu

Gray, Red and black.
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Gold
    • Purchased!
    So... Will the handrail and pipes come in the npc faction update

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Saber said during the tuesday stream that the pipe variants will be in the next update, but unfortunately the handrails won't

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Saber said during the tuesday stream that the pipe variants will be in the next update, but unfortunately the handrails won't
    This is mostly correct (though I didn't know it at the time when I said it myself) The pipes will be going in not in this next update, which will be the NPC update. But the following update, when we will have our new texture pack added, as well as a few other LOD assets. Sadly the handrails will not be going in until I can designate a special collision mesh for them. If I added them now they would either have no collisions (so they could be walked through) or would have a full block collision, which defeats their purpose entirely.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    This is mostly correct (though I didn't know it at the time when I said it myself) The pipes will be going in not in this next update, which will be the NPC update. But the following update, when we will have our new texture pack added, as well as a few other LOD assets. Sadly the handrails will not be going in until I can designate a special collision mesh for them. If I added them now they would either have no collisions (so they could be walked through) or would have a full block collision, which defeats their purpose entirely.
    Could you not use the quarter slab collision mesh?

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Could you not use the quarter slab collision mesh?
    If we only had a straight rail we could. However there will be more than just a straight rail segment added to the game. On top of that it's a feature we'll most likely need eventually anyway so having them added for this component will mean it will be in place for other models that need it more in the future.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If we only had a straight rail we could. However there will be more than just a straight rail segment added to the game. On top of that it's a feature we'll most likely need eventually anyway so having them added for this component will mean it will be in place for other models that need it more in the future.
    Hooray for things we'll most likely need eventually anyway!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    it's a feature we'll most likely need eventually anyway so having them added for this component will mean it will be in place for other models that need it more in the future.
    Does... Does that mean one day we might eventually get Ladders? :eek:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Straight handrail: 1/4 slab collision mesh
    Thin little 1/8 slab corner handrail piece thing: No collisions; 1/8th slab corner stick bits would be even more useful for things like lifts if they didn't collide anyway
    Other pieces, if any: Don't add until custom collision meshes are a thing

Last edited:
    Reactions: Blodge