Saber's Thread

Reaction score
    Is it too soon to ask "what's next?" ?
    Nope, it's a good question to be honest.
    Chairs have been "coming really soon" for years... and beds? I'm sooo tired of the monstrous workarounds we have to build ;)

Love the handrails, and yeah, both centered and offset would be great to have. And pipes, awesome! Do you think you could "roundify" the 90° bend? Not really smooth-round, but maybe four or six sections?

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Chairs have been "coming really soon" for years... and beds? I'm sooo tired of the monstrous workarounds we have to build ;)

Love the handrails, and yeah, both centered and offset would be great to have. And pipes, awesome! Do you think you could "roundify" the 90° bend? Not really smooth-round, but maybe four or six sections?
    Ah, I'm glad you brought that up. As far as chairs, their model has been done for some time, it's the programming behind them that's been waiting, as we've needed other features to be in first before those could come in. That should be soon though, as it's a part of NPC and Crew features. Beds may end up happening, haven't really nailed that down yet with the team, again comes down to needs of certain features.

As for why it's such an abrupt corner, we aren't minecraft so I knew it wouldn't be a 90 degree angle. However I didn't want to make it too rounded, do what I actually did was make the angled face match up with our wedges. So that they wouldn't stick out beyond them, but would still have that slight curve to it. Here's a closer look compared to a wedge:

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Ah, I'm glad you brought that up. As far as chairs, their model has been done for some time, it's the programming behind them that's been waiting, as we've needed other features to be in first before those could come in. That should be soon though, as it's a part of NPC and Crew features. Beds may end up happening, haven't really nailed that down yet with the team, again comes down to needs of certain features.

As for why it's such an abrupt corner, we aren't minecraft so I knew it wouldn't be a 90 degree angle. However I didn't want to make it too rounded, do what I actually did was make the angled face match up with our wedges. So that they wouldn't stick out beyond them, but would still have that slight curve to it. Here's a closer look compared to a wedge:
    That's even better! That will help break up some of the 45 angles on many ships and still feel like it fit when you want to transition from flat to 45.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    That's even better! That will help break up some of the 45 angles on many ships and still feel like it fit when you want to transition from flat to 45.
    It's a good example of how both Kupu and myself want to create assets that help facilitate players creativity, instead of restricting it with assets that don't fit StarMade's block styles or are far too-detailed to leave room for creative liberties.

Reaction score
    Yup, makes sense to not have it stick out. Still not entirely convinced by the looks, although I admit it would be difficult to meet both criteria.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Now that I am looking at this, I am realizing how god-awfully horribly terrible 90-degree sharp angle pipes would look. Thanks for not doing that and going with the 45-45 instead.

o_O

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Saber those pipe variants and the W.I.P handrail look great! Having the handrail be in the center will definitely be more useful in general. My one concern is that with the handrail in the center it might not be possible to see over the edge of the platform it's on (at least not easier than using a wedge as a handrail).

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Saber those pipe variants and the W.I.P handrail look great! Having the handrail be in the center will definitely be more useful in general. My one concern is that with the handrail in the center it might not be possible to see over the edge of the platform it's on (at least not easier than using a wedge as a handrail).
    Yeah, honestly I think it would find more uses being on the edge of its block, for that and several other reasons. Not only would the handrails be dramatically less awkward to see over (and look at) but they would maximize (or minimize!) the internal space of a jail cell, create smoother catwalk-type things, allow you to place them on the side of walls as a "small pipes"-type detail in a cramped engineering section, etc. The "recessed but not too far back" aesthetic that looks so nice in the centered mockups can still be achieved with armor/hull slabs.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Now that I am looking at this, I am realizing how god-awfully horribly terrible 90-degree sharp angle pipes would look. Thanks for not doing that and going with the 45-45 instead.

o_O
    I hadn't intended to do a 90 degree angle pipe, but just to explore all options the first version I made was one and it immediately reinforced that it wasn't what I wanted to to do.

Yeah, honestly I think it would find more uses being on the edge of its block, for that and several other reasons. Not only would the handrails be dramatically less awkward to see over (and look at) but they would maximize (or minimize!) the internal space of a jail cell, create smoother catwalk-type things, allow you to place them on the side of walls as a "small pipes"-type detail in a cramped engineering section, etc. The "recessed but not too far back" aesthetic that looks so nice in the centered mockups can still be achieved with armor/hull slabs.
    These two viewpoints are exactly why I wanted to bring it to the community, as I can understand arguments for both sides. So I spent the last few minutes prepping the two positions and wanted to show them here.
    So first is the centered position:

Then the offset position:

After having done that I'm leaning a bit more toward the offset position, as Ith you bring up a good point that any sort of inset can be achieved with slabs.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I hadn't intended to do a 90 degree angle pipe, but just to explore all options the first version I made was one and it immediately reinforced that it wasn't what I wanted to to do.

These two viewpoints are exactly why I wanted to bring it to the community, as I can understand arguments for both sides. So I spent the last few minutes prepping the two positions and wanted to show them here.
    So first is the centered position:

Then the offset position:

After having done that I'm leaning a bit more toward the offset position, as Ith you bring up a good point that any sort of inset can be achieved with slabs.
    How about......can it be centered to each thickness of hull?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, using the slab system to have both variations in one item - one inset and one centered - would be ideal. Barring that, offset is probably the best way.

Reaction score
    It makes zero sense as a fluid transfer configuration, but here's a rough mockup using the new pipes, with an emphasis on the elbows. Just to see how they look when used together.
    You know what would be great? If the flanges would only show on transitions between different pipes or blocks, ie. you'd have no flange between a bend and a bend, or a straight and a straight, but where bend meets t-piece, or straight meets block, and so on. Would require some algorithmic support, but might be worth it in the long run, as it might be reused to make plex doors and glass windows with frames for example. Actually, that would probably be more than just half the way towards connected textures.
    [doublepost=1477878165,1477877760][/doublepost]
    As far as chairs, their model has been done for some time, it's the programming behind them that's been waiting, as we've needed other features to be in first before those could come in.
    Not being impatient or anything, just curious about the hold-back. Why does the function have to be in place before the model can get introduced? I mean, consoles don't have a function right now, neither does the personal computer although functionality for both has been announced several times, yet both are in the game.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Valck has a good point about the chairs, it would be nice to have them ingame as a deco block for now.

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    You know what would be great? If the flanges would only show on transitions between different pipes or blocks, ie. you'd have no flange between a bend and a bend, or a straight and a straight, but where bend meets t-piece, or straight meets block, and so on. Would require some algorithmic support, but might be worth it in the long run, as it might be reused to make plex doors and glass windows with frames for example. Actually, that would probably be more than just half the way towards connected textures.
    [doublepost=1477878165,1477877760][/doublepost]
    Not being impatient or anything, just curious about the hold-back. Why does the function have to be in place before the model can get introduced? I mean, consoles don't have a function right now, neither does the personal computer although functionality for both has been announced several times, yet both are in the game.
    This likely has to do with doing updates akin to chunk32. With the chair there will likely be metadata that would need initialized when the chair is placed. Even to placeholder the metadata would take effort and testing. The cleanest simplest solution is to wait.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Haha I see as I was writing this someone else also thought about it as prison bars.
    Me. ;)
    Would people prefer them centered in the block? Or off to one side like the light bar is?
    Can you do both sets of orientations in the single block? I understand it would be a bunch of orentations. Next you will be asked to make one of every colour. ;)
    [doublepost=1477888950,1477888574][/doublepost]Oh wait, could w
    Yeah, using the slab system to have both variations in one item - one inset and one centered - would be ideal. Barring that, offset is probably the best way.
    Yeah, I was thinking the slab system but with the addition of moving the slab to centre would be nice. Then you could apply the same.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So... I don't want make a suggestion that you've rejected already, but why not make the handrail a block? A block that can be slabbed AND 1/8 offset AND center able?

And have you given any thought to a connecting piece for corners and the like?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The slab system may also work wonders for doing variations of other LOD blocks. Different textures for consoles, different model variations for plant species, so you can create a varied looking garden! Maybe even different light bar styles? Dunno.

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    The slab system may also work wonders for doing variations of other LOD blocks. Different textures for consoles, different model variations for plant species, so you can create a varied looking garden! Maybe even different light bar styles? Dunno.
    Slabs are just a new block ID with a convenient slider.