Saber's Thread

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    The corner light fits there.
    Except it's not flush and doesn't fit every build, where as a simple triangle block would fill that gap, aswell as the one created here

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8

LOD block to fill these gaps pls
    Yeah, Saber said he didn't really want to make that mini wedge piece, but it'd be really useful for rounding off slab corners and interior wall corners whatnot without using the very specific-looking corner lights that, even when turned off, look like, well, lights. I could also see it being used as a thin sort of rod to 'attach' hanging platforms, hanging lights, as an aesthetic accompaniment to rails for certain things... etc. I can go on. :P

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Yeah, Saber said he didn't really want to make that mini wedge piece, but it'd be really useful for rounding off slab corners and interior wall corners whatnot without using the very specific-looking corner lights that, even when turned off, look like, well, lights. I could also see it being used as a thin sort of rod to 'attach' hanging platforms, hanging lights, as an aesthetic accompaniment to rails for certain things... etc. I can go on. :P
    Is there an actual reason behind this, or is it just a matter of "i dun wanna"

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    It'd be great for room corners to get the slight angle we want without using an entire wedge block as well.

Just so long as it had no collision though.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Honestly I would love such a shape but it sort of sets a precident for people also wanting 1/2 and 3/4 wedge varients as well as all the slab wedge varients which would between everythign would total and 12 blocks per hull type and color. Though if its just a 1/4 wedge the I'm all for it.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Honestly I would love such a shape but it sort of sets a precident for people also wanting 1/2 and 3/4 wedge varients as well as all the slab wedge varients which would between everythign would total and 12 blocks per hull type and color. Though if its just a 1/4 wedge the I'm all for it.
    Nah, this would just be one shape and one colour, and specifically be designed for the grates.

also don't discourage Saber any further :(

Reaction score
    Actually, I'm not entirely convinced of this idea. The problem is not that it would be complicated to implement in any way. The problem I see, is that we have a lot of different blocks and have to make sure people don't loose track of them. Right now, all blocks more or less have a purpose that you can make out with one glance (especially with kupus improved textures). I fear that this wouldn't be the case for a block with the single purpose of filling up gaps left by others. Maybe we can find this block a real purpose, like a metal bar for structural support or something. But in itself I don't really see it fitting. We don't have to make everything super smooth to make things look great.

Also the block would be very small, so if you make it grey, it is probably gonna be pretty hard to see.

Criss: Interesting idea. Kind of like a hepta with a screen on it. This way you could fit wedges on top, to make it part of a column. Like a terminal.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    We don't have to make everything super smooth to make things look great.
    But it would also make some nice furniture, like the chair handles. Of course it might become redundant when the chair update is released in a few years... But at the moment we don't have too many decorative blocks, so maybe dedicating one block ID to a multi-purpose cornerpiece wouldn't hurt.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    But it would also make some nice furniture, like the chair handles. Of course it might become redundant when the chair update is released in a few years... But at the moment we don't have too many decorative blocks, so maybe dedicating one block ID to a multi-purpose cornerpiece wouldn't hurt.
    We have chair handles

Also, with the amount of rotations, it'd be a dozen block ID's, not just one.

Reactions: Lone_Puppy

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Saber. Request a new corner console block I do. That is all.

Screenshot
    I've had talks with both Kupu and Schema and we'll have more types of consoles than the current one. So one of those may fit in such an area.

Actually, I'm not entirely convinced of this idea. The problem is not that it would be complicated to implement in any way. The problem I see, is that we have a lot of different blocks and have to make sure people don't loose track of them. Right now, all blocks more or less have a purpose that you can make out with one glance (especially with kupus improved textures). I fear that this wouldn't be the case for a block with the single purpose of filling up gaps left by others. Maybe we can find this block a real purpose, like a metal bar for structural support or something. But in itself I don't really see it fitting. We don't have to make everything super smooth to make things look great.

Also the block would be very small, so if you make it grey, it is probably gonna be pretty hard to see.
    You two bring up points which cover some of the main reasons I don't plan to make such a small piece. I understand that something like that could be used in many ways, but the situation turns into a snowball effect. If I were to make a small triangular piece for grates then suddenly we need 1/2 and 3/4 wedges, then wedges to work with every slab scenario, then each of those in every hull color. Then every other block that doesn't perfectly mesh with others would need some sort of transitionary piece.

The reason I don't plan to make the triangle isn't because it's difficult, or because I feel there aren't other uses, it's to keep things from getting out of hand as we continue through development. Another example is the pipes, I don't have every possible pipe junction in the game and even though I have other's made I want to be sure it's absolutely needed before I decide to add others in. What I'm trying to do for assets as much as possible is have them match our basic block types, instead of generating new ones. So for example the grates represent the base block (or a slab), the grate wedge represents a wedge, and the corner a corner. If I were to make a 1/4 wedge we're approaching "micro-blocks" which we want to avoid.

I understand that not everyone will be happy about this situation, but it's been discussed with the team and unless we find a different way to do it, like with slab wedges or some system like that, I don't plan to make it an LOD asset. However the good news is that LOD assets should soon have activation textures, so using a light corner in a situation like that should stand out a little less. Also I'd like to say that I do appreciate the feedback, without suggestions from the players we wouldn't even have grates in the first place (first pitched as fences by the council). So I'm not trying to shut down discussions, but rather explaining why some assets are unlikely to be created.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Can SM have 2 types of lights?
    One colours adjacent blocks (display/console screens), affects the blocks own light emission
    One for everything else on the block​
    Maybe your stairs problem could be solved if they use the colour of the block underneath?

It would be nice to see a maintenance tunnel block, decorated on the inside and meant to be placed as pair of upper/lower within chunks of other blocks.

If I want to decorate these tunnels on 2 sides now, I need a 2 blocks thick tunnel.
    As a maintenance tunnel, they could have no own colour but be coloured by sparsely placed lights.​

Last edited: