Saber's Thread

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Well I suppose it's about time I got around to making a thread. So for anyone who may not know me I'm Saber, the 3D Art Director for StarMade. Up until recently the only work of mine that's been visible in-game has been some of our new gear models (shown below). Now though with the implementation of our Level of Detail (LOD) system you'll be seeing a lot more 3D assets getting added to the game.

It may take me some time to sort out exactly what I'd like to accomplish with this thread. More than likely though I'll be teasing out some in-progress assets, as well as getting feedback from the community about possible or already implemented gear/fauna/etc. Also if you notice any strange issues with any of the 3D assets don't hesitate to bring them up.

So just a couple quick guidelines for people, because I know if I don't have some this will just be a 3D request thread.
    - Please don't demand assets, I am open to discussions about things people would like, but would prefer to not see posts similar to: "OMG Saber we need toilets and stoves and refrigerators and washers and dryers and a cat tree for fluffy and and and...."
    - If things get too off topic I'll be removing the post, just to keep clutter to a minimum.
    - Feedback and constructive criticism are absolutely encouraged, I want to be sure I'm providing assets that the community will enjoy and be able to use in a multitude of ways.

So what's next?
    Well with the LOD system implemented we're still figuring out what all it can handle so for the time being most blocks will be primarily decorative. We're working to replace the sprites of the light rods and capsules with models, but want to make sure it works properly, especially for capsules which contain an ore, shard, etc.

Beyond that, I'll be working on Fauna, Gear, and a host of other projects including In-Game Assets which I work on with Criss our Social Media Director.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    So I'm thinking of doing little info posts about new objects added to the game. Let me know if you like them, or if they seem unnecessary.

Console1

Polygons: 14
    Info: Designed as a Decorative block to test orientations with the implementation of the LOD system, as well as going from a model to a full block. This display is designed to be stood at but can be used in a multitude of ways due to the number of orientations it's can have. Each part of this console is at least one quarter slab thick, so works great next to slabs or uniquely texture blocks.

Pipe

Polygons: 46
    Info: Created to test switching from a model to a sprite. Can be used as pipes, weapon barrels, support structures, plinths, there are a lot of possibilities with this one.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Lets refine that, the command chair. :D
    Chair's eh? Alright, here's the command chair.

Gotcha! :D Alright, so that's obviously not the chair. However, I'll probably tease something out for the chair when we're a little closer to implementation. It shouldn't be too terribly long, but depends on when Schema wants to implement it, so for now just know that it will look way better than that thing I made in like 30 seconds.

Reactions: SkylordLuke

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score

Gotcha! :D Alright, so that's obviously not the chair. However, I'll probably tease something out for the chair when we're a little closer to implementation. It shouldn't be too terribly long, but depends on when Schema wants to implement it, so for now just know that it will look way better than that thing I made in like 30 seconds.
    pls, wedge chairs have never looked so stupid. They don't even need to work, I just want pretty xD

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    HOLY HELL IS THAT A STAIR BLOCK? I know it isn't, and I know many people object to having stairs because they don't see a need for them, but I sure as hell think the game could use a block that can be climbed easily that isn't a ramp, ladder, or a 4 block long slab stair.

I would settle for what you just showed us, but with three or four steps instead of two.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    HOLY HELL IS THAT A STAIR BLOCK? I know it isn't, and I know many people object to having stairs because they don't see a need for them, but I sure as hell think the game could use a block that can be climbed easily that isn't a ramp, ladder, or a 4 block long slab stair.

I would settle for what you just showed us, but with three or four steps instead of two.
    It's just something I made in less than a minute to troll everyone that asks me about the chair every day. =P Personally I'm not fond of the idea of stairs in starmade as the wedge serves that purpose just fine. That isn't to say we won't have one some day, but as of this time I have no plans to make one.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It's just something I made in less than a minute to troll everyone that asks me about the chair every day. =P Personally I'm not fond of the idea of stairs in starmade as the wedge serves that purpose just fine. That isn't to say we won't have one some day, but as of this time I have no plans to make one.
    I feel you, but wedges make awful looking stairs. Doesn't even need to be a hull type, just that shade of grey, and I know a lot of dedicated builders would lose their minds with gratefulness.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Personally I'm not fond of the idea of stairs in starmade as the wedge serves that purpose just fine
    Wedges are bad for stairs. People struggle to walk up a 30 degree slope, let alone 45. They look nasty, ramp wells are hard to detail correctly, stairs would atleast naturally break up the smooth surfaces. A block like the one you showed could be used for detailing beyond stairs, just as slabs, wedges and pipes can be used in fun ways.

I can see zero reason to not implement one, you've even created the model already :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    tbh stairs are sort of needed, wedges do look out of place in interiors, and what's one to do when your fancy elevator and transporter network is out of order?

I'm +1 for stairs, also would be badass for detailing. 3 or 4 steps per block would work - once correct collision meshes for LOD block models are a thing.

pls do it Saber. It is really much needed...

Reactions: klawxx
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So I'm thinking of doing little info posts about new objects added to the game. Let me know if you like them, or if they seem unnecessary.

[console snipped]

Pipe

Polygons: 46
    Info: Created to test switching from a model to a sprite. Can be used as pipes, weapon barrels, support structures, plinths, there are a lot of possibilities with this one.
    Looking at this model I noticed the bevel used on this mesh. It's obviously a design decision to have a cubic look of a 'pipe'. However when one extends the bevel size one could have something like the following as well with the same poly count.

I was wondering if a variant for pipes using the multi block slot mechanic could be something for future extension of model types. ;)

Greets,

Jan

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    I can see zero reason to not implement one, you've even created the model already :p
    I'm +1 for stairs, also would be badass for detailing. 3 or 4 steps per block would work - once correct collision meshes for LOD block models are a thing.
    Wedges work fine for now (and I wouldn't use that model). Unless I get word from schema that he wants to add them it isn't an essential block. On top of that if I made one stair block which only used one texture, people would demand stair blocks in every color of hull which would then conflict with our multi-slot setup. I'll leave it at this as my final word on stairs for the time being. I'll keep them in mind, and if it becomes a more viable option in the future I'll revisit the idea but once the LOD system is fully integrated and refined I'll be focusing on models for larger gameplay features.

I was wondering if a variant for pipes using the multi block slot mechanic could be something for future extension of model types. ;)
    You're right in that the cubic style was a very intentional choice, as the round pipes I experimented with first looked very out of place. I know it's hard to tell currently, but the aesthetic direction we're going with our models focuses less on being a block (like minecraft) and more on smooth surfaces with angular accents. Having more pipes in the future is a possibility, but the first priority with the pipe that was used was to get some objects in to test the LOD system.

Reactions: nightrune

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7

I want to cry for not seeing chairs

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    It'd be nice to have a couple of variants of console textures.
    Right now, I'm basically spamming that single block and mah friends are all laughing at it...
    Because the displays all show the same thing and it appears useless to create complex configurations of consoles which all provide the same information. Beyond variations of text presented on it, we could also really use a couple of different colours of screens on it.

Though, I'd think that this sort of thing was already kind of planned and wouldn't be considered too urgent/essential...
    It really is, my confidence level is steadily decreasing as people make fun of the console spam. tt-tt

Reactions: klawxx

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Though, I'd think that this sort of thing was already kind of planned and wouldn't be considered too urgent/essential...
    I'd say you're spot on with this statement. ;)

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Saber, fancy handheld weapons for those that havent gotten a proper model yet :u
    Go make it! and make it awesome!

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Saber, fancy handheld weapons for those that havent gotten a proper model yet :u
    Go make it! and make it awesome!
    Planned, although it's possible it will be part of a larger system. For that reason and a couple other's I can't mention yet the sniper rifle and rocket launcher have to wait for their new models until a later time. (Possibly a couple of months)