Saber's Thread

Reaction score
    Is there any news on carved stone wedges? not exactly a new 3d model, but the only search results i could find was my own suggestion post from two years ago, and kupu saying there on the list about a year ago. i hope they haven't been scrapped. i cant explain how desperately i long for them :(

Edit:
    This is not the thread for that. You should be asking this in Kupu's thread.
    ok, my bad. ill go ask him then.

Reactions: Tsnonak

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    is there any news on carved stone wedges? not exactly a new 3d model, but the only search results i could find was my own suggestion post from two years ago, and kupu saying there on the list about a year ago. i hope they haven't been scrapped. i cant explain how desperately i long for them :(
    This is not the thread for that. You should be asking this in Kupu's thread.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hi Saber!

I found that the console is actually translucent! With this behavior we can have some really nice looking interior lighting effects. So if it is just a bug i would ask if you can make it a feature, otherwise i'd say Great Work!

Here you can see about what i am talking:

Greetings,
    Dave
    Cool find, I'd be interested to know whether or not this is intentional as well.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Awesome models Saber! I defo love the handheld gear and new console. Pipe not so much, but eh, it's a pipe.
    Any likelihood of a handheld model for Wireless? ;)

people would demand stair blocks in every color of hull which would then conflict with our multi-slot setup
    Perhaps a new colour/texturing system needs to be put in place to accomodate this dilemma.

haha, yeah that's probably more schema's department than my own. We almost considered making the flashlight into gear which was held, however because it can be used at the same time as other gear it would need to be something built into the suit instead
    Shoulder mount as nauvran mentioned. Need to account for tracking with the head movement while seated. Otherwise it'll look as weird as beams emitting from the chest.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I don't see why we can't get chairs as a decorative before the function itself is added.

Also, a work around for stairs would be to give it the hitbox of a wedge. You'd be able to walk up them, even if it might occasionally look a little wonky with the astronaut floating a tiny bit.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Saber, how does the new LOD system work, and what is the extent of your involvement with its development?

Are there plans to use a LOD system to help disguise the loading of planets?
    So a Level of Detail system is used to decrease the performance costs that complex models can cause within a game engine. So to use our current models as an example, we have the pipe and console. Essentially, the farther from the objects you are the less detail you'd be able to see because of the distance. Because of that the game is able to swap out the model with a version that uses fewer polygons thus making it easier and faster to render for the game engine. So you'll notice with the objects in-game, if you get about 100 meters away from them they'll change slightly, that's actually the engine swapping out the "high" poly version for a lower poly version. For instance the Console turns into a cube, and the pipe turns into two polygons like our capsules are in-game currently.

My involvement is limited to creating the models, then after they've been textured I pass them off to Schema for implementation in-game. At the current time we have a two-stage LOD system, basically meaning that a model will only swap out once. In the future it's possible (though I don't know if we'll do it) to have multiple stages for the LOD system, so a model might get swapped out multiple times depending on your proximity to it. We have a number of plans for how planetary loading can be improved and will be working on those over the course of development. It is possible though that the LOD system could be used to make loading large chunks of blocks quicker, it all just comes down to what Schema wants to do with it.

Hi Saber!

I found that the console is actually translucent! With this behavior we can have some really nice looking interior lighting effects. So if it is just a bug i would ask if you can make it a feature, otherwise i'd say Great Work!
    I could be mistaken, but I believe this is a bug which has affected other blocks in the game as well, so when that bug gets fixed this effect will likely go away. We have had system blocks which emit light in the past (power capacitors) but that effect was removed, though I'm not sure if it was a performance or aesthetic decision.

Any likelihood of a handheld model for Wireless? ;)
    Do you mean like a hand-held remote control to activate remote logic blocks? Because I hadn't thought of that before, but it sounds pretty cool. Kind of a garage door opener except for anything. haha I'll have to bring that idea up to the team. Could be useful.

I don't see why we can't get chairs as a decorative before the function itself is added.

Also, a work around for stairs would be to give it the hitbox of a wedge. You'd be able to walk up them, even if it might occasionally look a little wonky with the astronaut floating a tiny bit.
    It just comes down to what our programmer's are able to work on in a given week, we've been trying to focus on some fairly specific things, so haven't had a lot of time to branch off into side projects. I don't know as much about it from a code standpoint, so I'm not sure if it would be easier, or more work to have a command chair as a decorative block and then later on try and switch it to a useable one. I can ask Schema about it but so far as I'm aware it will be waiting until he's ready to put it in-game in it's more useful state (at least being able to sit on it.). The design isn't technically final yet either, there are two styles, one which fits inside a cubic meter, another which is about a 1.25 meters tall. To be able to use the second requires some additional work on schema's part to allow us to have multi-block assets, so that one won't likely be the first version in for the command chair.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The design isn't technically final yet either, there are two styles, one which fits inside a cubic meter, another which is about a 1.25 meters tall. To be able to use the second requires some additional work on schema's part to allow us to have multi-block assets, so that one won't likely be the first version in for the command chair.
    Why not just let the higher one clip into the blocks above it?

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Why not just let the higher one clip into the blocks above it?
    Because that would also mean the players head would be clipping into the block above it when it's being sat in, which is something I'd prefer to avoid.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    So release has taken longer than originally predicted, Schema has been hard at work trying to put together our new trading system. No official word on when release will be (should be this week, hopefully a couple days from now), but because of that I thought I'd tease out some shots of the new 3D assets that will be going in with release. Feel free to speculate ;) (one is pretty obvious =P)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    So release has taken longer than originally predicted, Schema has been hard at work trying to put together our new trading system. No official word on when release will be (should be this week, hopefully a couple days from now), but because of that I thought I'd tease out some shots of the new 3D assets that will be going in with release. Feel free to speculate ;) (one is pretty obvious =P)
    Are those to scale? If so I guess the little rectangular one has to be a floor/ceiling corner light, or some kind of railing. But that would be a new block, and I thought you guys were replacing existing blocks for this update?

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Are those to scale? If so I guess the little rectangular one has to be a floor/ceiling corner light, or some kind of railing. But that would be a new block, and I thought you guys were replacing existing blocks for this update?
    One of the assets will be a new block, the other is to replace an existing sprite. Light Rods and Capsules were meant to be some of the first sprites that got swapped out, but some issues have pushed those back a bit, their models have been done for some time though, so it's up to whenever schema has some time to get those switched out.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    10/5: Would lick space mushroom and trip so hard I think it's a good idea to swap all my hull with Parseen Crystals and send Saber a photocopy of my diary.

Reactions: nightrune

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    The one to the left looks kind of like that type of cable bundle you'd have on the floor in a place with tons of power or communication lines. And to the right is -as you said, quite obviously- a mushroom. And it looks darned sweet, too! :D

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I thought it was an umbrella at first

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It's obviously a psilocybin mushroom, hope you didn't try too much of them. :D

Greets,

Jan

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    I forgot to add the render to the news post, so here's some info on the new blocks.

White Light Bar
    Poly Count: 34
    Info: Before replacing the light rod sprite with their own model, a new light was desired to further test the LOD systems strain on the game and client's machines. Once we know a large number of 3D models being used in a relatively small area won't cause performance issues, more sprites can be replaced with 3D counterparts. Currently there is an issue with not being able to have 3D models activateable, so you can't currently turn the lights off, Schema is looking into that however and we should have it fixed relatively soon. We will also likely be adding these lights in every color and adding them to the light multi-slots once they are working properly.

Mushroom
    Poly Count: 64
    Info: The mushroom is the first already existing block to be directly replaced with a 3D Model. Because mushrooms naturally spawn on Red Planets, this is an integral step to testing the effect of many 3D objects in a relatively small amount of space.

Hopefully these posts help provide some additional insight into why certain things are added, or just give you a better behind the scenes look in general. Let me know what you think of them. :)

P.S. the Console has been renamed from Console One to Decorative Console (Blue) to better match the naming convention of other blocks like the decorative computers.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Just wanted to let everyone know that today's stream will be taking place in 3 hours (at the top of the hour) and it will be a 3D Modeling stream! I'll be showing how we go from a 2D sprite to fully modeled 3D Flora.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So that'll be 10pm in the GMT+1 area, just to make that clear to all ;)

Greets,

Jan