Saber's Thread

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Planned, although it's possible it will be part of a larger system. For that reason and a couple other's I can't mention yet the sniper rifle and rocket launcher have to wait for their new models until a later time.
    You can still make us teasers and such for what they might end up looking like :u

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    You can still make us teasers and such for what they might end up looking like :u
    The model's for those haven't even been started, because the system we're wanting to do is still being planned. So it would be a bit premature to start on them at this time.

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    The model's for those haven't even been started, because the system we're wanting to do is still being planned. So it would be a bit premature to start on them at this time.
    aww, so you havent even brainstormed what it will end up looking like, no fancy sketches or anything?

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    aww, so you havent even brainstormed what it will end up looking like, no fancy sketches or anything?
    I haven't no, I usually work pretty closely with Kupu on gear designs, so until the system is fleshed out we won't know the final look of the larger gear pieces.

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    dammit rimmer :u

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hi Saber,great work on the models so far.I was wondering if you were going to make a hand held model for the mining lazer(might add more realism for rp?)

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Hi Saber,great work on the models so far.I was wondering if you were going to make a hand held model for the mining lazer(might add more realism for rp?)
    So the idea behind the mining beam as I remember it (this was back when Omni was the 3D Art Director) was that it actually came out of the Fabricator, the thing on Dave's arm. Because it can be used at basically any time, whereas gear can be selected, put into your inventory, dropped, etc. If we end up needing a different version in the future then it's possible, but for now it's meant to be built into the Fabricator.

Reactions: Lecic

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    So the idea behind the mining beam as I remember it (this was back when Omni was the 3D Art Director) was that it actually came out of the Fabricator, the thing on Dave's arm. Because it can be used at basically any time, whereas gear can be selected, put into your inventory, dropped, etc. If we end up needing a different version in the future then it's possible, but for now it's meant to be built into the Fabricator.
    You're probably not the one to really ask but anyway, could we get that mining beam to not activate when we activate the flash light? It ruins the whole thing that we get that sully beam popping out when we want some light.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    You're probably not the one to really ask but anyway, could we get that mining beam to not activate when we activate the flash light? It ruins the whole thing that we get that sully beam popping out when we want some light.
    haha, yeah that's probably more schema's department than my own. We almost considered making the flashlight into gear which was held, however because it can be used at the same time as other gear it would need to be something built into the suit instead.

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    haha, yeah that's probably more schema's department than my own. We almost considered making the flashlight into gear which was held, however because it can be used at the same time as other gear it would need to be something built into the suit instead.
    shoulder/helmet mounted flashlight that's activated by pressing "L" or something like that?

Reactions: nightrune

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    shoulder/helmet mounted flashlight that's activated by pressing "L" or something like that?
    It would likely have to be shoulder mounted, as the helmet can be removed. No keybind was discussed however, so I'm not sure about that. L is bound to the Leaderboard, which I'm not sure has ever been used.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Nevermind, I just double checked in-game. It's since been removed, it was still in when we remapped the keys but isn't any more. So L could potentially work for the flashlight if we decide to go that direction with it.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Damn Saber, your thread is blowing up like a hot air balloon with a grenade in it. Super informative stuff so far, is very nice.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Shoulder mounted flashlight would be neat especially if it was part of the modules. Can't wait to hear more on the equipment though. I keep hoping we'll have suit power and personal shields

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Nice work on the hand-held items Sabre. Personally I think the console model is spiff and only 14 polygons...totally worth it. I would love to see more of those variants. Here is an idea for colored consoles. Rather than use up block ID for decorative consoles that are identical but for color, make the console slave-able to light blocks to imbue their color. This would leave more IDs for different shapes and textures and allow consoles to be used as logic indicators (or just have cool back-light). -Red Alert!-

I would like to see the pipes block reworked into a 3-D cable-race like your pipe model. More importantly it would be great to have a half-pipe that would look right when bent at a right-angle or auto-link the way MC fence join together. I'm probably really 'pipe-dreaming' here but as soon as these pipes are a thing I am gonna want to make them go 45 degrees. Sorry man, I can't help myself. :)

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Saber, how does the new LOD system work, and what is the extent of your involvement with its development?

Are there plans to use a LOD system to help disguise the loading of planets?

Reaction score
    Hi Saber!

I found that the console is actually translucent! With this behavior we can have some really nice looking interior lighting effects. So if it is just a bug i would ask if you can make it a feature, otherwise i'd say Great Work!

Here you can see about what i am talking:

Greetings,
    Dave