Recognized Portable Remote

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I know similar suggestions around remote control have been proposed, such as...

http://starmadedock.net/threads/remote-control.21374/

Would it be feasible to incorporate a handheld remote control? Like the flashlight/torch we can carry/buy.
    I personally would welcome such a device.
    This would be an expensive item, that you could link to multiple wireless blocks with a distance limitation. Perhaps 500 metres or less.

I ask because, this could be used to get around the transporter beacon balance issue. Remove the remote transporter activation component and leave it up to logic activation via a remote connected to wireless logic controlled transporter.

Sure, this would require carrying two items in the transporter scenario, but the remote could also be useful for other functions besides transporters.

• You could use it to either land your ship on the planet or have it eject a shuttle to land.
    • Remote activation of doors, ramps, elevators without any visible activation modules for hidden entrances on planets, stations or ships.
    • Initiate a pre-configured transporter for the transport of cargo, people, whatever.
    • Auto-destruct.
    • Anything you can't be bothered walking to. ;)
    I'm sure there a loads of other uses, but these are what I would use it for.

ToasterBorst

Formerly known as Weishaupt
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Wired for Logic
    I really like this idea, being able to activate logic remotely as astronaut would be amazing. I already have a 'garage door remote' built into one of my skid racers with logic and this concept would be a far superior solution.

Last edited:

ToasterBorst

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Wired for Logic
    Still love this idea so I dug it back out, hopefully bumping it will get a little discussion going on this topic and as things progress I'll see about throwing it at the council and seeing what the others think about it.

Reactions: saladin1980
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Lone_Puppy
    To start a little discussion, how would you configure it?
    How can you assign the remote control to a block. I have an idea, but maybe you can come up with a better one.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I would use the same principle as the transporter beacon, but have maybe something similar to a hotbar or NPC control, to allow for assigning a number or something. Or perhaps type of hotbar system, where you can assign a number using the same methods you do when organising your weapons, etc.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I think the simplest solution is to have it work like a marker beam. Right click selects the box and lets you name the remote control. Then it only works on that block within range.

Reactions: Lone_Puppy

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think the simplest solution is to have it work like a marker beam. Right click selects the box and lets you name the remote control. Then it only works on that block within range.
    :)
    How would you allow for multiple wireless blocks?

ToasterBorst

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Wired for Logic
    I'd be excited to see this without some forum of multiple wireless linking.
    A 1:1 hand held logic remote would still make me ridiculously happy and might be easier to achieve than adding a GUI for a piece of equipment, though I have no idea from the development side.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Sounds like a great idea and with the transporter item already being a thing I am sure this is a possibility.

Reactions: ToasterBorst