Power System Overhaul Proposal

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It's faaaaaaaaar too early for anybody to form a real opinion on this...

I'm excited at the prospect of such a major change to the core game though, and cannot wait for more information.

Reactions: Vvolodymyr
    Reaction score
    Yeah, sorry - I clicked on the wrong post - I meant to rely to Lecic.

Regarding turrets - yeah that could be an exploit - but I am wondering how much power a number of those will provide as opposed to one main larger power reactor (granted with heatbox thing) - looks like a tweaking the balance thing - a math problem :)
    A lot of balancing. And checks to prevent its own exploits. Then get into balancing. For drones, fighters, frigates up to titans. Turrets etc. I really need to see the changes to thrust and shield to get a feel of this. Without them it's hard to feel this. We almost need to see this separately from starmade currently. Not given out in bits.

Reactions: Vvolodymyr
    Reaction score
    As I understand this is a suggestion/brain storming thread, which is cool.

Was thinking about modular ship designs:
    one the one hand that was sort of an exploit (back when power supply beam worked from child to parent entity) and a way to over-power ships, that caused lag when they undocked etc. - I'm sure many know the negative effects of that.

On the other hand - just feeling-wise - it was an interesting way to "fun things up" - there could be so many cool design possibilities in terms of fully modular ships. The whole idea was very energizing and full of fun possibilities.
    Unfortunately, it was mostly used as a "docked power reactor" workaround.

I guess I'm saying, if there was a way to keep that modular docked fun With great benefit to power and/or shields but Only to a point - I feel it would do wonders to creative possibilities.

Reaction score
    I like the modular idea. Personally never had much issue with power balance. It's shields/ion and thrust. I'm cramming every inch for it. Maxing out that shield cap. And balancing it with how much thrust I can get bye with

Reaction score
    Good to see something is finally being done about power. This kind of thing rekindles my interest in the game.

As I have said right along, for me it is mostly about getting the number of blocks required to have sustainable ships down.
    e.g 1 block equals the equivalent of 10 now, or something like that, so ships have smaller reactors, or engine room powering them instead of being half full of power.

Stats wise I'd go back to how things were when the soft cap was 2million, since the cap got reduced to 1 million everything seemed to become borked.

I think this could be applied to quite a few systems. So we can get detailed ships that not only look good inside and out, but actually do what they should do.

Had a few people counter that reducing the amount of blocks would mean people would spam more blocks onto their ships making them more OP, so this would need to be addressed.
    I think again the solution is to look at adjusting mass and cost for blocks.

For example if one power cap had the power capacity of 10 blocks, then you increase the mass and cost of those blocks by 10x also.

So trying to build a spam ship would make it 10x heavier, 10x more expensive and 10x longer to build. Resulting in a ship that while OP, is a brick that cannot manoeuvre, or is severely penalised by it's mass making them less desirable.

Anyway that is the general approach I would like to see. Also remove the 3D power regen building, so people can build their 'reactors' exactly to a style that suits their ship based simply on the amount of blocks they need/use.
    Less blocks will obviously improve performance on peoples machines also, optimisation being one thing StarMade always needs improving with.

I think if power is done right to begin with then things like Auxiliary power would be completely unnecessary.

I'd think now would also be a good time for Schine to look at animated and light emitting blocks. Maybe limit animations to decorative blocks only that are used sparingly vs systems that appear in great numbers, e.g power and shields. And limit light to actual decorative light blocks not system blocks.
    I think doing so would again be a major impact on the games performance in a positive manner.

And that's my two cents worth. Glad to see it's finally being looked at, be nice to get back to building ships. Hopefully sooner than later, because I and a few people I know have stopped building beyond hulls as we wait for these balance changes to happen.
    Get this right and I can go back to telling people to buy the game. Something I've not done in a long while.

Good luck, and again thanks for finally looking at doing something about it. (y)

P.S Might be an idea to also look into adding "Tiered" systems to the game. Give the feeling we can upgrade everything other than just adding more of the same to our existing creations.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3

A post about these changes.

Firstly, it's very important to point out one core thing about the starmade forums to the schine dev team:

Elite players (Most Effective Tactic Available Players) often do not spend their time on the forums, nor do they actively suggest things or discuss balance changes.

There is one big reason behind this: In order to prove a point to a non meta player, you have to expose key areas of the game to other players, which is basically giving up your advantage. Meta players don't share their secrets.

I am going to post about this because of the importance of this one thread. To me, this thread represents the future of starmade, it represents who will win in the battle between depth and learning curve, whichever side wins, will forever change starmade. it's very important that I contribute a certain viewpoint for schine to consider.

So, let's look at the problems

Forced design choices, True

Lack of complexity, True

Too many blocks involved (number, not types), False

Focused on regen, False

Let's start with point 1

it's true that you can only ever use AUX blocks over the 2M soft cap, it's also true that you must use them in a certain way, placement of AUX blocks is VERY important to meta, and if you don't get it right, you'll end up looking like this:

Notice how this user has sprinkled their aux blocks throughout the ship, refusing to place them in protected areas. He's also not grouped them properly, (block count per group) and has instead failed to gain the maximum power per block curve from AUX. The result is twofold, his AUX blocks groupings actually did more damage to him then the enemy, and his regen per block was much lower than he could have achieved.

Moving on to point 2:

Lack of complexity. 100% true. When Aux blocks came out, many of my comrades where disappointed that schine replaced a complex mechanic with a ez one, docked reactors required math, spreadsheets, time, and a basic understanding of geometry in order to get the most per block out of them. There were many things to consider, such as the curve of reactors, how much cap you could get away with,

(you needed to cover a regen outage in the event of a server side slowdown so depending on how long you planned to lag, you'd have more cap i.e. for 500MS of no regen, we need about 1M cap on a 2M generator to cover HALF the regen per second)

what kind of axis tree where you going to use? (There where three main types in the docked generator days: Swivel, Axis, and Dynamic Axis)

what was the best supply beam, the best dimensions, the best format (we went with 9x9x175 in the end), and how would one protect them (back in the days of no docked shields, you had to protect your reactors with Armour around their compartments)

All of this resulted in one core driving fact about docked generators that made them so fun: If you got a generator that did the same thing as someone else but with 2 less blocks, you'd be more effective than them, but at the same time, you couldn't just walk in and outdo the best of the best, you had to study hard, you had to work for it, and when you got it done, it was amazing.

Here's one core point, schine, you're never going to make it so that a lesser experienced player can compete with a more advanced player, no matter what changes you do, the basic rules will always apply: Better player = better ship = better combat = winner. Instead, your focus should be to reveal the meta to new players, your focus should be to get them over the learning curve, and your focus should be to encourage, wherever possible, active thought about the most optimal placement of blocks for it is this constant drive to improve that not only keeps many of our players around after 3 years, but drives innovation in starmade.

Before we move on, we should discuss how to fix point 1 and 2. There is no fix for both 1 and 2, as in every other game, you will never reach perfect balance, there will always be something different about a certain type of ship/block/player/server/client/design philosophy. If you try to reach perfect balance, you'll end up with fixed position stats and unbelievably boring design.

There will be no curve, and thus there will be no innovation to make the most out of these curves and thus there will be no design and thus there is no game.

What you should do to improve these areas is to strike a balance between learning curves and playing to starmade strengths. One of the core things about starmade as I've already said is its insane complexity and depth, something not many space games have to offer. In other space games, you usually have fixed position non curving stat modules that you can add to your ship (I.E space engineers’ reactors, single block placement, set and fixed regen) this set and forget type of gameplay gives clear objectives and has a very small learning curve, but it doesn't offer much to long term players, which is why space engineers has a high turnover rate (i.e most people do not play it continually for 3 years)

Players of this game usually get in and get out, about a month later, they do it again, rinse and repeat. I often switch games from starmade to other things but I find myself coming back for more years later because starmade has a lot to offer in the end game area (like WoW and EVE) Focusing on this type of high learning curve has brought many games success as they've managed to keep the players attention long enough to teach them important things, but haven't given them the full story to explore yet. It's this feed give system that keeps major titles going for extremely long times. It's why fallout is so brilliant, it has lots and lots of depth but manages to have a straight forward direction to follow with lots of bits attached to that, so you'll have the option of getting lost in the lore or following a set path (admittedly not a very good path... IMO)

Let's move onto point 3:

No, for every block count point there is good and then there is bad. Having too many blocks in a certain system is not a game problem, it is a design problem. When designing a ship there is many things to consider, but one of the core ones is system balance. Changing how many blocks AUX need to reach 2M is not going to change how effective a poor design is. For example, reducing the amount of blocks required to reach 2M with AUX will only decrease the curve, which will improve all ships equally. (as we saw with the increase of regen for reactors, which improved all ships from 100K to 2M blocks equally the only difference was that all ships now had 2M e/s)

One of the core problems when it comes to perspective is on size, ships in starmade are dynamic, changing one area of the game to favor a certain block count is both impossible, and illogical. Example: To improve the combat ability of a 1K block ship, you must increase the effectiveness of each block, which scales all the way up to the maximum block count (2M note cap for genxnova, where I play) Separating these into other ship types (as defined by shipcores) will still result in the same scaling issues, in which bigger ships often have larger stats.

If you force a capital ship to only be able to counter another capital ship (i.e because turret rotation is so bad) then no one will field capital ships, they will instead flock to the most balanced ship class in the game. Balance is important in combat. Being able to deal with multiple types of threats in one ship or with one lineup of ships is very important, equally so, being able to scale with the enemy is important, you do not respond to a small fighter in your territory by sending a titan unless you are A: not a very good player or B: extremely intoxicated.

If you make a fighter be able to 1v1 a capital ship, no one will field a capital ship in the first place, they'll just use the most effective tactic available. The best way to scale therefore is to give each class a certain role which is what many space games have done to deal with the problem.

Let’s now move into our final point 4:

No, no no. Again it is all about design. Missile barges only have to regen enough power to fire every 45 seconds, therefore a greater focus is put on capacity, not regen, to be able to use larger and larger missiles. A shredder ship (a ship designed to sever key systems like axis trees and aux groupings) requires higher regen to power their cannon cannon array. In titans (the largest ships we field) over 30% is just cap alone, not regen. 20% of that is regen and the rest is a mix of defensive and offensive systems. It's all about striking a balance for the particular ship type you are going for. A cannon cannon cruiser does not require any cap, instead, it must focus on regen. A missile barge designed to deal massive system damage requires more cap than anything else.

Some notes about the proposed heat system:

Like in Elite Dangerous bigger ships carry more firepower, can handle more heat, have larger power cores, and dish out more punishment. The only difference between these ships is their class and what they are intended for. Changing out to a heat system is fine, and I’m perfectly happy to switch my design to it if schine believes it's the way forward but be warned now, schine, this will not fix any of the balance problems.

As I've said multiple times in this post, whoever is a better player will always be more effective. A subpar 2M block ship is not going to match or even hope to stand up against a superior 2M block design.

A good way to manage the proposed heat system is to simply start making scaffolding ships, in which reactors are placed in a line equally distant from each other, and then have all other systems in other locations. Larger ships will also have an advantage here, their internal volume allows for greater distance, thus more heat cap, and thus more effective systems (META)

Furthermore, a fatal error is simply assuming we want to use smaller weapons or have an interior, many of us are happy with a small interior and as long any system in starmade benefits from MOAR blocks you'll never be able to push interiors, as long as weapons do more damage the larger they get, the size will not change, as long as more blocks is better all I've said above is true, and thus nothing can be done to prevent this. Ship classes are the only way forward (IMO)

Some notes about the view schine has:

Schine, you must understand that a vast majority of players do not post on the forums. You must also understand that because this is your only feedback area, you are being influenced by a smaller group then the rest of the game would suggest.

There is very little you can do to fix this problem, you'll never be able to consider the effects that your changes have on the entire playerbase, but know this, we stand behind you, and your product. We believe starmade is a beautiful and deep game, and we feel that your changes thus far have been justified. We believe you truly do have the best intentions for your game, and we believe that in any event, OAS, and the rest of GenXnova will continue to support and participate in this game, the only home we've ever known.

In conclusion:

This change would be one step forward, and one step back. Overall, it simply causes a refit, and I don't believe we will see any remarkable change to the current meta, to design, to the imbalance between good players and bad, or to the fact that we love starmade.

Reaction score
    Alright, I got here late and I haven't read every single word here, so... sorry? Also, I haven't got my drafting software handy, so Visual aids will have to wait til Monday at the earliest.(Don't count on it, though.)

Anyway, I have some Long Rambling Musings (tm) about the heat areas, which will end in a suggestion, if I remember it after the 2 to 10 paragraphs that follow. Wish me luck!

Musings

So my reading of the original post is that the heat effects will be confined within a closed area of the ship, i.e. if the reactor is next to a piece of hull, the entire heat area will be shifted to fill an area that doesn't include the vacuum of space. This is, scientifically speaking, pretty dang accurate as far as heat/radiation dissipation goes, since radiation of any kind is highly inefficient in a vacuum. Since the system presented is pretty bare bones, we don't know what kind of area we're talking about, so we won't worry about that in this discussion.

One thing I didn't see is how this will affect systems, though I get the impression that these will have similar areas of dead space around them. This leads me to an amusing mental image of all the crew quarters having missile batteries coming up in the middle of the floor, and of the captain sleeping next to the radioactive pile. The system basically encourages the opposite of real life, since usually you want the people as far away from the explodey stuff as possible, not all within a certain radius of it to make room for more explodey stuff. This is no reason not to use the system, it's just an amusing consequence. But I digress.

Now, for simplicity's sake, I assume this system will have constant areas of heat, that is to say that the 'forbidden zone' won't grow as the reactor heats up. This would save on cpu calculations, and in my mind the lessened realism is an acceptable price to pay. But should it recalculate as the ship is damaged? specifically, if the reactor is near the hull of the ship and that hull is breached, should the area of heat be recalculated? I'm of two minds on this, and until they decide exactly how the system will function I can't say yes or no. But that leads me to my suggestion as to the function.

Now in reading the original post, it seems like there's a loophole in the system. if one were to surround the reactor in a box, then have empty space around that box, then have more systems in boxes one space removed, it seems like you get around the heat zone, since the zone is bounded by the outside of the ship. This assumes, of course, that the boundary is in fact checked by hull, not the bounding box of the ship, but from Schema's picture that appears to be the case. So the first suggestion is this:

Suggestion: make sure the speed at which a ship handles heat is a function of the dissipation area, not just the hardware.

This may have been implicit in the presented idea, I just wanted to say it explicitly, since it leads to the next bit of musing. How should the area be calculated? well, the way I would program it would be for every space in the ship to have a heat number and six pointers pointing to neighboring spaces. The heat number could be a maximum of one, Though you could also do different maximums for different kinds of blocks, which would be a way to implement coolant tanks. The point is that the heat calculator would load up all the heat on the spaces occupied by the reactor, then, assuming the total heat is greater than the reactor can handle, dumps the excess heat into the nearby spaces, proportionally to their max heat available, then those spaces do the same thing until either A) all the heat is dissipated or B)there are no more spaces available. The big O number for that computation is probably terrible(It may be n^n, but I don't think it's quite that bad), but it's the end result that's important: an area that conforms itself to the space inside the ship.

Suggestion: make the heat area conform to the inside of the ship
    Addendum: for heaven's sake, don't do it the way I outlined in the struck out portion above, that way madness lies. use a vector matrix for the perimeter or something.

Actually, now that I thi Nope, not falling down that rabbit hole again.

Anyway, what are the implications here? well for one thing, having a shell around the entire system would be more efficient than separate compartments, since with separate compartments connected by tubes(like, oh I don't know, a chandelier) you would require more armor to cover the separate tubes and have the sections farther away from each other than inside a large, enclosed space (the heat would travel farther down the tubes, don't you know).

Conclusion

Thanks for joining me on this deep dive into my psyche, if you feel I'm mistaken on some point or otherwise have missed the mark on the discussion, I feel it's safe to say it's not because I glossed over anything. If you'd like diagrams to illustrate this nonsense, let me know. If you want to fight about chandelier ships, just quote or mention me in a post, I didn't want to join in on that one til I was invited.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    its going to be a bitch rebalancing everything with this overhaul

Considering how far reaching the proposed changes will be to other systems like weapons,
    i feel like this is one of those things that i'd need a prototype or something to muck around with before giving any decent form of feedback outside of theorycrafting

Reaction score
    A post about these changes.

Firstly, it's very important to point out one core thing about the starmade forums to the schine dev team:

Elite players (Most Effective Tactic Available Players) often do not spend their time on the forums, nor do they actively suggest things or discuss balance changes.
    Alright I get your reasoning that follows here, but, and this is important, there's not much Schine can do with the ideas of a player that doesn't want to talk to them. It ain't fair, but it's also the way it has to be, unless you know a psychic they could hire.

As to your bigger point, it seems to me that you're right, and that by itself this change doesn't move the game that much. but it also seems that this is the sort of foundation they'd rather build on, and that it will better accommodate planned content (specifically AI crews) than the current system. The OP seems to say that they're trying to future proof the system, not necessarily fix it.

I'm with you in hoping that the game keeps rewarding higher skilled play, since if that goes it just becomes a function of time spent grinding, and that sucks.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Alright I get your reasoning that follows here, but, and this is important, there's not much Schine can do with the ideas of a player that doesn't want to talk to them. It ain't fair, but it's also the way it has to be, unless you know a psychic they could hire.
    Hence the reason I posted on behalf of the "group" since no one else will :)

As for your other points, AI crews for meta players will consist of a 9x3 room in which all 100 crewmen live and die, it'll be the most compact room evah, and there's nothing you can do to stop it!

I don't believe you'll be able to ever get "pro" players to have an interior above what they 100% need.
    I feel as if RP is being forced to hard, AI crews sound great, until you consider what I said above :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This is a proposal; we're looking for feedback...
    Are you sure? Are you actually open to the feedback, or are you all bent on doing this no matter what we say?
    Introduction

The power system was a point of contention for as long as StarMade existed​

no, not really, only from people that want to build server-lagging big ships and hit soft-caps
    and there was never a real consensus on a specific solution.
    ...when has there EVER been a consensus in StarMade, or the internet?
    We went through every possible way to rebalance the current system...
    Did you really? If you did, why haven't we seen some patches over the past ... 4 years... tweaking stats of reactors and capacitors, or the x-y-z dimensional reactor system? None of that has been done, so you can't honestly say you've gone through every possible way, yet.
    ...We realized that we would have to redo a big portion of that later and waste even more time on things we can resolve right now.
    You're not solving anything "right now" with this, you're just creating new bugs, new problems, breaking new things, wasting time on what seems a random distraction to redo part of the game and gameplay that most people have been adequately happy with for... 4 years... instead of focusing on fixing easier, more pressing bugs and issues.
    Instead of trying to keep a broken system alive,
    It's not broken.
    we decided to ... require you to refit power in almost all of your ships...
    So, it's a good idea to you to continue to annoy the piss out of all your players by making us redesign our ships, constantly, which we've told you repeatedly in the past that it annoys the piss out of us, and... you're doing it again. Great idea?
    The way we went about designing this new system is a relatively straightforward procedure:

1. Identify the problems
    ...people whining because they're making bad decisions about reactor design and ship size.
    2. Find out what causes the problems
    ...foolish players being too focused on titans and being too whiney...
    3. Try to eliminate those causes with new mechanics
    ...using a jackhammer to drive a tack into corkboard?
    Problems with the current power system

According to our own experience and player experiences shared on the forums, we have identified the following problems.

1. Forced design choices​

Every game forces design choices. It's part of gameplay and balance. Do you want a pretty RP ship? or do you want a doom cube? Let players decide, and server owners decide (by literally banning doom cubes if they so wish. It's been working fine, so far.

2. Lack of complexity

Complexity is not always good. KISS rule always applies to all of life - Keep It Simple, Stupid! Too much complexity frustrates players and creates a high learning curve. No one likes that. EVE is dying off for a reason ;p

3. Too many blocks involved (number, not types)

.. again, this is only a problem if people are building ships that are "TOO BIG" and hitting softcaps. If you would finally rebalance the game to favor smaller ships, this wouln't happen. Even so, it's not a problem, it's a gameplay choice. Want a bigger ship? You need more blocks. Duh. Simple. You have to do more if you want more.

4. Focused on regen
    ...not always. Again this is a gameplay choice that should be made by players, not devs. Lots of players choose to go for capacity over regen, because capacitors give a LOT more stats per block than reactors do. Especially on ships that rely on an alpha-strike, capacitors are much more useful than regen. For experimental servers that are using no regen and capacitors only like batteries, you've totally killed them and taken away very valueable gameplay choices.

...making a ship functional with all our systems can take a while and is usually a less creative process.

Speak for yourself, not us. Lots of players get very creative with power placement and system placement, inside and outside the ship. Need we remind you of the external reactor fiasco? Schine is consistently taking away freedom and creativity from us players more than you're giving it with a few new pretty shiny blocks here and there.

Currently, most ships have a non functional ‘skin’ and everything else is filled to the brim with systems.
    Yeah, so ? If we choose to fill it up, then let us. If we choose to sacrifice stat porn for interiors, then let us make that gameplay trade-off choice. Plus if you're worried about the non-functional skin of a ship, then rebalance armor, not power. Some of the more creative server admins have already taken it upon themselves to create new armors, with more functions and gameplay value than the original. Are you listening?.... are you listening?

Filling your entire ship with systems is the most optimal way to make a ship. Making any interior or extra decoration creates weaknesses on your ship. It also favours one ship shape over another, in order to fill it with as many systems as possible; Doom cubes.
    So...... what? What's your point? You don't want doom cubes? Too bad! Don't make a voxel game, then. Duh. Everything in starmade from 1 block on up is technically a cube. There are very, very, very few ships over the past 4 years that have EVER deviated from some form of rectangular solid/prism. Very few ships in all of sci-fi and art have ever deviated from this. So... what...! Let server admins decide if we want doom cubes or pretty ships. Server admins can choose to delete/ban doom cubes. You as devs stay out of it. Leave us alone and let us the players make our own decisions on form vs. function. That's what good devs do.

More systems and power means a better ship, and there is no incentive or mechanic that would ever make a pretty ship with interior as good as one filled with systems.
    Again... so ? You're not making an arguement for your cause here. You're stating a well known and well accepted fact of the game. It's a positive trade-off and gameplay decision to make in the game. It is a way to challenge players, and it hasn't stopped ANY of us over the past 4 years from making pretty ships, or ugly ships, or whatever the F kinda ships we want to make with whatever interior we want. You. Cannot. Have. It. All. ....and, moreover, in a GOOD game, you shouldn't. Let us the players make our own choices.

...Our current power system has only 3 different block types which would be fine if it mattered more in how you placed them. That’s not always the case and usually there’s little to do besides changing the amount of a certain block when necessary.

This gets very tedious at larger scales. Fitting a bigger ship with power blocks is just a matter of finding the space for it. There doesn’t have to be any thought about placement and possible consequences. Additionally there is no way to customize your ship’s power systems.
    ...what game are you guys playing? Because it doesn't sound like StarMade. Of COURSE it matters how you place the 3 power blocks. Reactors must be in an x,y,z dimension pattern, or you can choose to checkerboard them, but you certainly don't want to lazily toss them down in a giant cube. You also certainly don't want to put the new power blocks near the surface or outside the hull, or they go volatile too easily when hit. There's TONS to do and decide upon with reactor design.

Tedious? The only tedium comes from ships that are "too large" and have hit the soft cap. Again, you should be looking at rebalancing the current system to encourage smaller ships. More soft caps. Harsher soft caps. Players are also mostly lazy / bad with weapon and power use design, moreso than it's too tedious to make a good reactor. Good designs will calculate power needs first, then create reactors/caps after that, and then finish with shields. If anything is tedious, it's not having an "autofill" option to use inside of our ships with a selected module.

How is there "no way to customize" our power systems? Power in any game is always 2 things: regen and capacity. We already have that. Job done. Players can decide between a balance, or all regen, or all capacity. We players can customize the regen, the cap, the dimensions of our power, the layout of our power. We can put power blocks inside or outside the ship. We can change the blockconfg.xml to make it animated, or glow, or whatever we want. We have tons of customizing power, already. We will decide for ourselves just fine. Give us the foundation (which you already have), then let us alone to build on it.

As the system forces you to balance the amount of blocks placed on your ship between 3 power block types, you constantly end up removing one type to replace it with another unless you calculate the amount of blocks needed for each type. Even then you have to roughly know how many blocks your ship can fit.
    Well, thankfully we now have remove/replace functions in the advanced build menu. It really simplifies the process of removing one type of block and replacing it with another type. I'm surprised you devs don't know about it, since you probably were the ones that coded it into the game. Also, good ship designers for years have already been keeping a rough track of how many blocks their ships have, and can fit, so.... not sure there's actually any real problem here.

This is fine for ships where only a few hundred blocks are involved. You usually remember where you placed them and changing ratios isn’t a long process. Each system block matters a lot more in this case.

It’s not fine when your ship size becomes larger...
    Hmmm... seems like a rational person right now would decide that 'maybe ships are too big' and we're trying to force the wrong kind of game upon players and cater too much to a vocal minority that wants to just build massive ships that the game engine and server can't really handle anyways. Hmmm? At least you've got one thing right here, because no, it's indeed not fine when your ship size becomes larger. Balance the game for ships under 200m.

...it’s impossible to know where you placed all your blocks down. Filling your ship with the correct amount of blocks per type is a tedious and long process.
    Maybe your ship is just too big, then? Build something smaller that your brain and ADHD meds can handle.

Not to mention that changing it afterwards is even more frustrating where you have to dig for specific block types and you end up with a complete system mess.
    Here's a novel (not really) thought (that players have been asking for, for years): selection options in advanced build mode that select or highlight all blocks of a certain type. Use the same selector drop down that's used for the remove/replace menu. Simple stuff. Don't know why it's taken so many players asking so long and so often. It's a lot simpler and shorter than coding this whole new power system you're proposing. If you're actually interested in helping players, then you have to agree that this might be a better solution to try first.

Although additional build tools could alleviate some of these issues, it would never be completely resolved...
    See above suggestion. Yeah, actually it _would_ be resolved so... um... no other way to say it than "you are wrong". :/ sorry if that's too blunt and insensitive.

Also, the volume to surface area does not scale favorably for balance, and there is no incentive not to fill up a ship with systems. The larger your ship, the more volume you usually have compared to your surface area.
    Wait... surface area matters in this game for something other than how much graphic lag is caused by rendering a ship with tons of exterior detail and tons of interior? (yeah, that's right, you haven't optimized the engine yet) ... Why are we talking about surface area? AFAIK it doesn't matter. This is totally irrelevant to design and power discussion.

Currently you will always care more about power regen than capacity,
    Wrong. Plenty of evidence already above about how we players make gameplay choices both ways between regen vs. cap
    mostly because it’s scaled that way.
    ...so don't build big ships...
    In almost every case, you want to equalize your power regen with your total consumption during combat. Your capacity would be increased to have a small reserve that equals this consumption so that you can use all your systems at once and regen the power within a few seconds.
    Wrong. Again, plenty of players decide to use capacitors to alpha-strike then bug out to regen, or simply tank while regen'ing power. Why do you devs thing it's a problem that players are making design and balance and gameplay choices? Not everyone wants to play the same way. Don't force us to do so.
    This results in a boring way of building ships since there’s little difference in power systems for any ship you create
    It's not boring, because a good designer will often use different systems. Plus, it works, it's simple, and if you DO want to use the same thing on every ship and copy-paste it from a template, then ...so what? Let a player do that, and move on to some other system or exterior design that they enjoy doing more. Not every player may want to have some complex, intricate, mentally stimulating romp through reactor design every single time they start a new ship. I'd wager MOST players don't want to do this, but just want to move on to making sure they have the guns they want, a pretty exterior. It's a tradeoff they choose to make, and are ok with knowing maybe their ship doesn't have the most 100% optimal power use, but that's the choice they make. That's the gameplay they've chosen. Let . Them. Make. That. Choice. You as devs of a voxel sandbox are not here to dictate to us how we have to design ships.
    Not to mention that it’s hard to make the AI use this system when their capacity is always too low to work with.
    What are you even talking about with this? AI use the same ships, the same way, as players do, except for having the privilege of firing all their weapons simultaneously - eg - without losing or waiting on missile locks while shooting cannons. If you're mad about your AI ships not having enough capacity, then just give them more reactor caps. Very simple solution. Don't waste time coding up a whole new power system to deal with that.
    I will defer on quote-bombing the "Solution" segment of the original post, since the point of this reply is to prove false the original premise for overhauling power. Leave well enough alone. Focus on other, bigger, known problems and missing parts of the game first, before overhauling power, which isn't broken at all.​
    [doublepost=1486884719,1486882388][/doublepost]
    If I were to take that shape literally, it would make it incredibly easy for players to target your ships systems and disable them. With a current wedge shaped hull, fitted with a system that spaces out the reactors internally it would make it harder to pinpoint those weak spots. If say you have a string of conduits leading to chambers on the outside of the build structure, those are the first things I am targeting.
    Right now, it's actually the most difficult way for players to target your reactor system. If this is really your concern, then you will like the current system, and not this new system.

Plus, with the current system, players can make lots of design choices and tactical choices:
    - disperse a checkerboard reactor
    - centralize an x,y,z reactor
    - bury a reactor to protect it, and sacrifice shields or thrust near a ship's surface, or vice versa
    - gain more regen/cap by putting reactors near the surface, but sacrifice it first in a big fight
    - focus on regen
    - focus on cap
    - generalize by having both regen and cap

...and this is just merely thinking for a minute. There's many more customizations and possibilities with the current power system, but the problem is that most builders just simply don't take the time. They're not even trying, then they come to the forums or to the council and whine loudly about wanting something else. That's not right, nor fair, to the silent majority.

Rebalance the system first, then we can all talk about an overhaul once that fails.

Speaking of conduits... how about an easy and first fix being to make more decorative blocks actually be functional as well? Give players more ways to customize and mod blocks; to add other stats and functions to blocks. Let us choose to give conduits and charged circuits power regen and capacity stats, or endow them with a %bonus to power regen/cap that is calculated after / outside of the soft caps.

Soft Caps: more of them, at lower levels.

Regen rate/block: increase it.

Capacity/block: increase it.

By doing these things, and extending these concepts to other systems and block types, we will boost the stats that are possible in small ships, we will limit the performance of very large ships, and we will increase the stats of RP ships with more decorations and interior space. These concepts can all be extended even further without any major game engine changes, without extensive coding, and without breaking EVERYONE's ships. This is a win-win situation for everyone. A total overhaul is a losing scenario, right now, with no proof at all.

Reactions: Endal

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Most of it sounds good, heat, modular systems, smaller systems, empty interior, …

If only interior hull gets a low weight, the hull's weight will still scale squared while the cube count scales cubed.

Does this mean that big ships with small systems may prefer to only put armour blocks around systems, nowhere else?
    But if armour is put around systems, will it still be easy enough to edit them freely?

Perhaps medium ships should be encouraged to have 2-3 reactors to encourage diversity over 1 reactor.

Most real systems have a backup or fallback, because shit happens.

I would like to hear about an updated proposal :)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    It sound complicated this system design;

Couldn't you just do something like the weapon systems ?
    You have your reactor core, you link to some chambers and you then link that power system to the weapon system (or shield or thrusters) you need to power up.

All using the C and V keys.

Reactions: Ghent96

Endal

Ex Torpedo Researcher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Main issues (with only the power overhaul in mind) in descending severity:
    • Formula and number changes can accomplish the same intention that is relevant with less repurcussions
    • Due to having a dimension AOE debuff, proposed system would make scaffold/chandelier ships meta since it encourages max dimensions and min volume.
    • Effects on stations unclear
    • System is rather complex and requires a lot of prompts/visuals in-game
    • Proposed system would break current designs at the mechanic level, throwing away time spent building them and requiring yet more time for extensive rebuilding, potentially annnoying players (Would players really operate that many designs at once? If one was really interested in the game would one give up just because of a system overhaul?)
    Excuse me if I screw up, I am not in the best state of mind to be doing this kind of thing right now.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    ...It's hard for me to justify further openness about our plans with the community when this is the response we get. Please keep this in mind...
    Duke, the reason so many people knee-jerked and are upset is because, in the past, Schine hasn't been very open or forthcoming. In the past, when any sort of idea or news like this came out, it meant Schine had already made up its mind, was going to do it no matter what, and was just looking for a rubber stamp from a few community members to help smooth it over. There is not one single Schine proposal or idea like this in the past that was "proposed" and never implemented after lots of negative community feedback. Players are jaded and feel, rightly, like they have no real voice. When people are jaded and feel powerless, they lash out in a much more mean fashion instead of having a civil disagreement.

Plus you add in the prospect of having dozens, even hundreds of ship designs broken and useless... the prospect of wasting hours and hours of work in-game to design and build... yeah, people get angry. Good developers should never treat their players or testers like that.

With each _major_ change, Starmade keeps losing players. Old ones feel ignored, get mad, and give up. Newer ones get confused. Flaky ones get distracted by other new games. Think about it.

Reaction score
    Change breaks all current designs on the mechanic level
    Yea, no, this is not a valid issue. This is a game in development, if you think your precious little ships are worth more than improving the game, perhaps you need to go play a game that isn't in development. Some of us actually want to see improvements made.

That being said, I have no idea whether this proposal is a good idea or not. I'm confident the result of these discussions will be good.

Reaction score
    Love the idea!
    The thought of sections of the ship being important for different reasons sounds awesome! Protecting different the engines, or shields, leaving a fight crippled, but still functional in some manner!
    I won't lie, it will be a bit of a pain to redesign my larger ship, but I'd much rather, as I'll enjoy deciding how to put the ship together! :D

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    This update will virtually kill of any designs uptill now in the history of starmade wile making more creatives and better ships to be built......I LOVE THIS GAME, KEEP DOING These kind of updates :)

Reactions: NTIMESc
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    im a simple man i see reactor overhaul , i hype.

No seriously now I really like the intention and direction this is going but if you look at it it just shifts the problems not solving them.

The forced design choices are still there. They are just of another nature, as depicted the heat area is way too large and at least like suggested before a ventilation system is needed.

Forcing the player to place reactors not on the edge of the hull( wich is already a compromise) by shifting the heat area is just no good, forces design philosophies again by making reactors only viable in the center of a ship or on arms (chandelier thing hated to death here already.)

My countersuggestion:

Make the reactor along with all other systems modular.

All system generate some heat some more some less and ONLY if used,maybe with an afterglow. Also reducing the heat area significantly eg the 3d area occupied by the linked blocks (reactor or weapons etc)would equal the area and amount of heat generated multiplied by the block heat value. as example cannon wich has a 10x2x2 linked module would genrate : 40 blocks*1.5 = 60 blocks area that is heated up by the heat factor of the block around it.
    bigger modules affect themselves with heat while being in itself more power efficent.
    Thus : bigger ships bigger modules because more space to incorperate venting into the modules.
    2 coolant blocks , vent and conductor

conductor takes heat out of an area that is not occupied by blocks reducing overall heat generated. They then redirect the heat to vents wich release the heat in a area around them over time / maybe even directional.

both need a bit energy , adjust the curve so that it is innefficient to just spam everything with conductors.
    yet keep them efficient enough to use them at all.

thus would encourage making specific modules out of blocks and placing them as base for a ship

I would still keep the power ressource and maybe even multiple power sources:

Solar panels wich generate power without heat and need of chambers but less effective and require sunlight,

Reactors( as suggested) , independent energy source but High heat generation. and explosive hazard if danmaged.

Fuel powered, less heat at a leass volatile explosive hazard ( maybe fuel tanks=chambers here+ working similar to cargo system ?) but requires expending fuel.

even a effect computer/module that if activated generates alot of heat but regenerates energy based on damage done to shields.

To Encourage interior i think it is necessary to add life support /air mechanics

otherwise as long its not necesarry, pvplers will find a way to avoid it.
    Examplary one could use life support systems absorb heat depending of the interior size that needs to be supported.

Small fighters wont need life support since the pilot can survive with his personal life suppport( wich is timed and refuels in a Life Supported system. Yet still LS can be added; if the interior is small so is the life support system.

Smaller ships would suffer less from heat since the genration of heat is lower and alot is disperesed around the smaller ship. ( why i would not suggest making the heat area move into the interior. The fact the energy source is vulnerable is enough drawback.)

This would balance the whole bigger is better thing out a bit too.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.