New Power DEV Thread

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Is there any threat to report bugs in dev build?

Dev .193:
    - Direction of block in advanced tools appears strange, block is all black and it is not possible see what direction it points. Also when you click on arrow to rotate block and this place acidentally points at your ship you will place blocks.
    - When U point at rotation arrow in advanced tools "help" message appears and cover your view to block. Is there any shortcut to rotate block without touching arrows?
    - Still don't know how to access to more advanced chamber effects (which needs some ability applied before), I could only level up and down chamber effects. Is there any possibility to choose more effects in the same chamber?
    - Have the same issue
    - Shield capacitators does not need any power to upkeep? What will prevent me from filling all my empty hull with capacitators?
    - SCAN message (and actually every message) covers the power values in flight.
    - You can use the scroll wheel to rotate;
    - You sometimes need a chamber to connect to another chamber for some of the more advance stuff;
    - Shield capacitors do not take up keep and are worthless without generation which is much more important.
    -Yeah that scan is annoying

Reaction score
    Devs are aware of the UI problems in dev .193. Bug reports have been made for them in Phabricator. All we have to do now is wait for them to be fixed.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Dev .196
    No color in procedural background...

Also, Drastic drop in FPS...

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Builds are coming out at least once a day now, and other than one buggy release a week or so ago it seems pretty stable.

Release is imminent?

Reaction score
    I found some bugs in my old dev build, but for some clarification, the dev builds are for testing and debugging, or it is only for some internal tests made by players how their ships will work with new mechanic? There will be some prerelease testing or we are jumping directly from dev builds?

And one more question. How scans are working now? I need to hit scan button to see any ship in my HUD? Scans will automatially decloak and mark hiding ships or there will be some calculation of power of scan vs. power of cloaking? How AI works with scan and how it works with visible or cloaked ships? Same mechanic of half of weapon system range for AI?

Thanks

Reaction score
    Dev builds are inherently buggy, as they're snapshots of the game while the devs work on big new updates.

This particular line of dev builds are seeing a lot of activity because the power update is going to drastically change the game, and players 1) don't want to build on deprecated systems, so learning the new system makes sense and 2) can help spot errors. Since it's a big update that's coming, there's lots of room for little glitches and bugs to sneak in. The large volume of players testing on this dev fork is symbiotic.

So it's both of the things you mentioned Hugoba.

Not sure how scanning works, since i mostly play solo and don't think i've run into any cloaked ships. I have one i use for scouting, but that's about it, so i don't even know how good cloaking is or how viable it is to have on an attack ship.

Just noticed that they pulled the "mobile factory" chamber option too. Hopefully it's because it wasn't ready to release yet, and not because they decided not to include it. I was really excited about that option, even if it was only to allow synthesis of basic materials

Reaction score
    I've noticed in some situations i'm getting 0 active shield groups and 0 inactive shield groups, even though i clearly have one contiguous recharge group, with a bubble big enough to encompass all nearby capacitors.

Not sure if i should mark it as a bug or if i'm just doing something wrong. Design-wise, i had a big sheet of capacitors in a single diagonal plane along the inner hull wall.

At first i was filling in the layer and i noticed that even though i kept adding capacitors, i was staying at something like 8000 total shield. Then i figured out that since they're arranged diagonally, none of the capacitors are "adjacent" and so each one was being treated as a separate group. It seems each shield refill group will only link up with so many capacitor groups, so i started adding a second diagonal sheet (nested in the first) so that it would combine into one big capacitor group. My numbers started going up and everything was good, until today i noticed that at some point my shields and shield groups had been set to 0. Capacity, radius, upkeep, and everything but structural integrity seem like normal numbers.

The structural integrity is -3142 and varies unpredictably as i add or remove recharge blocks. Altering capacitors doesn't seem to do it, though i still can't seem to get the recharge chunk to register any shields at all no matter what i do.

Have i found a bug, or am i just doing something wrong?

Reaction score
    The structural integrity is -3142 and varies unpredictably as i add or remove recharge blocks. Altering capacitors doesn't seem to do it, though i still can't seem to get the recharge chunk to register any shields at all no matter what i do.

Have i found a bug, or am i just doing something wrong?
    Lancake once said in the chat that they stealthely added some ways to combat spaghetti ships. That's probably one of them.

Reaction score
    Hmm, so i need to figure out what i'm doing wrong. I'm still struggling with the power thing a bit. The station i'm working on is going to be much, much bigger if i keep adding to my reactor. As it is i'm throwing on more stabilizers at ~40% efficiency, so if the reactor keeps growing i may have to just scrap it and start over with a bigger one that will have more space.

At first i thought that maybe my shield generator was too small relative to my reactor, so i was adding on to that until it's the only thing eating power. Maybe i have too many capacitors relative to my generator size? But i dunno what else to fill all the empty space with, because there's already a lot and i feel stupid just defaulting to packing in millions of stabilizers at worse and worse efficiency.

Wish i wasn't just shooting in the dark here, haha, but i'm glad it's not a bug at least. Means maybe i can figure out a way to make it work.

I should see if there's a way to alter the blueprint files so i can respawn the station but replace all the capacitors with something neutral. Then i'd be able to see if that's what the problem was. I would also be able to replace all the ugly grey hull i used with something nicer looking, to save myself a lot of renovation time. *runs off to examine files*

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thank you dev's for coming out with a local shield mechanic, it solves what I was trying to describe without doing anything drastic, but you may still have to do something like add a critical hit for when you hit a system block, dealing x2 damage or more. I had crazier ideas in the past but this game needs crits yo.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I mean... different blocks have different armor values. Is that not the same thing?

Reaction score
    Well then, I have a plenty of questions and some propably new bugs.

My last dev build is .223 so some bugs could be already fixed:
    - placing ellipsoid in advanced build tools sometimes frozes my movement or ability to build anything, I can't turn or zoom. When clear ellipsoid placement sometimes helps and sometimes not. Maybe it is only performance issue r=18 ellipsoid needs little bit more calculations :)
    - Weapons list in ship stats does not show any weapons
    - Also when building a big gun sometimes the power consumption is calculated wrong, like weapon blocks aren't adjanced. Didn't tested if it is only "stats" bug or the weapon really has such a great power need when operated. When restarting the game weapon power consumption is already calculated well. Does not happend when placing secondary or terciary systems

it is nice to see that developers already fixed previously noted glitches, thanks ;)

Questions:
    - how shielding of docked entity is working now? The same system of 50% shield sharing with the closest base the entity is docked in? Or all docked entities count as a part of ship with 100% shield sharing through entire docked chain? If the second option is true, do we need turret base for any purpose than docking point?
    - How the HP are calculated for docked entity? Should we add turret reactors(which are natively turned off when docked) so for adding more duriability of our turrets?
    - Does AI using active chamber effects or scans?