MicroMade - Modded StarMade

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I hear there are tiny ships and hovering in the new power system.

Space-hog races?
    I find this possiblity intriguing. I could have a station dedicated to racing, and have races as a possible way to make a little bit of money/earn a few blocks.

I see no reason to let perfectly good Race Gate blocks go to waste.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I find this possiblity intriguing. I could have a station dedicated to racing, and have races as a possible way to make a little bit of money/earn a few blocks.

I see no reason to let perfectly good Race Gate blocks go to waste.
    Sounds fun. Maybe I'll make another space bike. Failing that, I'll just revert to hover tanks; Destruction Derby style.

Reactions: Asvarduil

Asvarduil

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Sounds fun. Maybe I'll make another space bike. Failing that, I'll just revert to hover tanks; Destruction Derby style.
    Yeah, I'm not sure what all I'd want out of my racing station. Obviously you could have just racing, but then you'd get cases of ridiculous bikes that are in essence a ship core with power and enough thrusters to make Miley Cyrus jealous. There would definitely have to be environmental hazards, and encouraging weapons on 'bikes' would be a definite plus, because lasers (and missiles.)

I'm filing this thought in the 'experiment later' category, it has potential.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Yeah, I'm not sure what all I'd want out of my racing station. Obviously you could have just racing, but then you'd get cases of ridiculous bikes that are in essence a ship core with power and enough thrusters to make Miley Cyrus jealous. There would definitely have to be environmental hazards, and encouraging weapons on 'bikes' would be a definite plus, because lasers (and missiles.)

I'm filing this thought in the 'experiment later' category, it has potential.
    Here's what I intend to create when the hover system comes out...
    ASSAULT RIGS

Asvarduil

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Here's what I intend to create when the hover system comes out...
    ASSAULT RIGS
    I like the hover mechanic, but I feel it's useless due to a mixture of performance problems on both the server and client side, as well as the fact that it doesn't improve gameplay. I feel like, instead of hover-vehicles that probably will be seldom-used, had the developers done things that help make this mod unnecessary/obsolete, it would be far better.

The power system is nice, though, and I think in the end it will be a net-positive addition to the game.

Asvarduil

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Doing a Mass limit is a very bad idea, the limit must to be bassed on block numbers. [Armor is "useless" at that ship sizes, use that limited mass over energy, weapons and movement is much better and you still building ships with a not "free to see systems"]

The rest of rules are a mix of Awesome and meh.

If you want another player i´m in.
    I disagree at the moment, but I also haven't got the mass-limit code written, running, and most importantly I haven't had players bang their heads against it. So, I'll keep an open mind.

If it doesn't work out, I'd be more than willing to try block count limits, and that seems like an interesting concept to pursue in any event! Thanks for contributing it.

As to the rest of the rules, I won't disagree - as noted, this concept hasn't even had first contact with implementation yet. I intend to not only solicit feedback through betas, I also intend to build a !FEEDBACK {Rating: 1-5} {Feedback} command into my mod backend setup, so that after MicroMade 1.0 launches, players can directly give opinions on things in-game, without needing to tab out to StarMade dock. It's my hope that, by accepting feedback, I turn those 'meh' rules into 'awesomes'; if a meh can't be fixed, I consider anything not helping the server/game expendable.

Edit: Added 'rating' to the !Feedback command; I would want to quantify things, so as to help me measure how the server's doing. Yes, there's a fundamental issue with using quantitative measure when I want to describe the quality of something, but natural language processing is hard. I'm a nerd with limited time!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Arkudo

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Doing a Mass limit is a very bad idea, the limit must to be bassed on block numbers. [Armor is "useless" at that ship sizes, use that limited mass over energy, weapons and movement is much better and you still building ships with a not "free to see systems"]

The rest of rules are a mix of Awesome and meh.

If you want another player i´m in.
    Useless?

This little guy (who has a partial coating of advanced armor) can survive a 600,000 damage missile hit. I've tested it a dozen times.
    Fighter RG3 1.jpg

Try fighting a 100 mass fighter (with advanced armor) with another 100 mass fighter. Time the fight and let me know how long it lasts.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Useless ≠ "Useless" [First one means ALLWAYS second one mean IT DEPENDS]

Please do not try to manipulate what i said. [I used the quoted one.]

100 mass of full advance blocks are around 400 blocks while a 100 mass of ship systems are around 1000 blocks.
    I can bet to you that i can manage to build a ship that can destroy yours in some seconds at that mass. [Is a math stuff not a believe´s one.]
    There's an old saying...

"if you don't say what you mean, then you don't mean what you say. And if you don't mean what you say, then what you say doesn't matter."

Regarding your challenge; I guess we'll find out. Before that happens, you might want to do a little more research at that size before you put your money where your mouth is.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Advanced armor is really really good on small ships, especially with anti pierce and punch effects, so I'm a bit unsure if mass limit is good balance or not. If its a block limit I could see almost everyone going with advanced since thrust scales very high at low masses like this for the increased mass to not be a big deal. I think just leave it at mass limit and see how it fares on the server.

Reactions: Dr. Whammy

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Advanced armour won't be good at small sizes, because you'll never layer enough to actually do anything and it weighs a ton. Better off using that mass on thrusters and not get hit in the first place.

Asvarduil

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Advanced armour won't be good at small sizes, because you'll never layer enough to actually do anything and it weighs a ton. Better off using that mass on thrusters and not get hit in the first place.
    Your benevolent dun-erm, server master, is open to modding blocks. If it's felt that Standard/Advanced armors need a little nudge in order to be made viable, it can happen.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Your benevolent dun-erm, server master, is open to modding blocks. If it's felt that Standard/Advanced armors need a little nudge in order to be made viable, it can happen.
    Don't...

Seriously; leave the armor the way it is. This is where mass vs block count comes into play. They have to choose between being a flying tank, a big gun or something entirely different, while taking into consideration that armor adds mass, without block count. It's tricky to build this small but that is part of the challenge isn't it?

Dr. Whammy I said what i mean, apparently you did not get it, my apologies.

I have not challenged you to a duel, I said that I can build with that mass limit something that destroys that ship in seconds. [Are you "Rping" me?]

That is the reason to limit the ships to number of blocks and not the mass. [As i said before is math stuff and not believe´s one.]
    Fair enough.

I'm willing to believe I may have misinterpreted you. In any case, you and I have had our disagreements but you've always been civil about it. That carries a lot of weight with me. If it's all the same to you, I'd like us to stop arguing, competing or whatever it is we've been doing lately.

What do you say?

Last edited:

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Dr. Whammy I do not understand how you can get negativity from a forum, in case you think I do not hate you or try to "hurt" you with my contributions at forums.

But at the same way if i think i must reply something because is "wrong", If the wrong idea comes from me, you are free to say that I am wrong, but remember to be "logical" in the process or the exchange of ideas will change from being useful to useless.

Regarding negativity with regard to the forum; There are several forum members who do not think as you (and I) do and as such, they tend to respond to people's posts, not to discuss a subject but to "pick a fight". They usually do not show courtesy or respect, nor do they keep an open mind to the opposing point of view. They take (and make) everything as a personal grudge and when they can't change the other person's mind, things get nasty.
    When you kept things civil, it became pretty clear to me that this was not your intention.

Regarding logic; I think it's important to remember the difference between fact and opinion. I don't mind a good debate if it's based on facts relevant to the thread at hand but most of what you and I have been debating for the past two days has been opinion-based or speculation-based, since neither of us are able to test the power update for ourselves and you seem (correct me if I'm wrong) unfamiliar with building sub-100 mass ships. In any case, I'm not a fan of arguing just for the sake of trying to win an argument. I think This is a much better alternative.

Regarding hating/hurting; I take no offense to anything you've said and I hope you've taken no offense either. To be honest, I've always thought you were a pretty cool poster and that you and I simply had a difference of opinion. However, I must warn you; your diplomatic side is showing. Be careful or you and I might end up liking each other. :sneaky:

G

GDPR 302420

There are several forum members who do not think as you (and I) do and as such, they tend to respond to people's posts, not to discuss a subject but to "pick a fight".
    I am going to assume you are reffering to the group of PvP players who shut down your balance and anti-pvp suggestions every time you make one because you have no idea what you are talking about.

No, we don't respond to "pick a fight" we respond to discuss the topic which in your case is telling you why you are wrong, we don't pick fights we just tell people that they are wrong and we don't sugarcoat it.

Reactions: Arkudo
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Discussion like this is okay, while both parties appear butthurt and have reported eachother, both are in the wrong, as there is no real malicious intent, flaming or trolling happening here. Both reports have been rejected.

If you cannot resolve this argument swiftly without resorting to actual flaming and insults, PM me and I can figure out who deserves points.

Asvarduil

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Discussion like this is okay, while both parties appear butthurt and have reported eachother, both are in the wrong, as there is no real malicious intent, flaming or trolling happening here. Both reports have been rejected.

If you cannot resolve this argument swiftly without resorting to actual flaming and insults, PM me and I can figure out who deserves points.
    Additionally, try to remain civil, both on this thread, and when the server goes live. Disagreement is OK - it's how you disagree, and deal with others disagreeing with you, that determines how seriously others take you. By default, I assume others are worth attention and respect; don't disabuse anyone of that notion.

To those who want to say, 'the 100 mass limit makes advanced armor useless!', I personally disagree...that being said, I can see where you'd see the limitation that the mass of AdArm does make it easier to bang into the 100 mass cap; you probably couldn't armor one of the 'big' faction ships in AdArm without going spectacularly over the cap. Once again, a strategic decision - do you want armor mitigation, or room for many/powerful systems?

If you're not used to limitation, and you're used to using AdArm by default, of course AdArm seems useless with a 100 mass limit. That being said, keep an open mind, and try out some builds...I think you'll be amazed at what you can create while respecting the 100 mass limit.

For the record - the Origin M50 Reproduction uses all Advanced Armor, and it weighs in at 10.6 mass. That's just a basic beginning, though. I encourage being creative - it makes building starships (the point of this game) yet more fun.

Reactions: Thingie