Light vs Dark Server Redux

Reaction score
    We are a PvP and trade oriented server, with unique features found nowhere else in StarMade!

Light vs Dark was originally founded in October of 2015 by Ironheld. The unique theme and focus on PvP allowed the server to grow and develop a dedicated following. The server has been recently transferred to STAR Industries and has undergone a complete overhaul. We have an active group of admins and server technicians to keep the server running as smoothly as possible for all players. Come join us on Discord or our forums for more information and to participate in our community!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Benevolent27

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    (Complete server info is below)

Server Address:
    lvdserver.b33r.us:4242
    Discord (Client Recommended): Discord
    Forums: http://lvdserver.b33r.us
    StarMade Server List: Light Vs Dark | StarMade server

Unique Server Features:
    - The server features a highly customized wrapper, which is constantly being updated. It brings additional functionality to the game, such as quests, banking, tracking, and more! For a list of all commands in game, type "!help" after joining our server.
    - Light, Dark, or Neutral alignment is mandatory, providing the basis for PvP and trade. To align your faction in-game, simply type "!align light/dark/neutral" (pick one).
    - Custom Admin run events with rewards, including a new kind of currency, bronze bars.
    - Starter Ships are provided for all players upon spawning via bronze bars, which can be spent at The Hub by placing bars into the kiosks and getting filled blueprints.
    - Players may run a kiosk at the Grand Crossroads, selling goods or blueprints for bronze bars. This is located in the public, protected sector 20, 20, 20 and is accessible via the warp gate at spawn.
    - Bounty boards are posted on the forums, to be used by the Trade Guild or other factions

Choose your side! Light or Dark

Rules:
    Our rules are designed to promote friendly engagement, freedom in builds, and a lag free server. We set our limits based on extensively testing the capabilities of StarMade. These rules are subject to change at any time, so please feel free to check back often.

- Keep the chat relatively clean. Remember that this is a game and you are speaking to a person on the other side of the internet. We will provide warnings and then ban if necessary.
    - There is an entity soft-limit of 120 per ship. If your ship has more, ask an admin to test your ship for approval.
    - Outputs for weapons/support computers can be no more than 800 and 2,000 for salvage beams. Be advised, that if your ship causes server-wide, lag, it may be removed even if below this limit.
    - Admin Approval is required for ships exceeding 500k mass
    - There is a hard cap of 1m mass for all ships.
    - If you cause severe lag, please announce in chat that you may be causing the lag and try to resolve the issue ASAP. Admins WILL step in and resolve the issue, as they see fit, if you do not fix it quickly enough.
    - Utilizing any manner of glitches or bugs to obtain resources or items you have not earned will not be tolerated! Any blocks etc. generated through the exploit of a bug or glitch will result in the seizure of contraband goods. Repeated offenses could result in deletion of vessels, facilities or the entire faction if the exploit was perpetrated by it's leader.
    - Admins have the final say in all matters. Appeals may be requested on the forums.
    - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Game settings:
    protected spawn at 2 2 2
    100 speed limit
    22x mining bonus for faction controlled areas
    10k sector size
    Extended star damage protection to 10 seconds (default is 5)
    - Quick Jump Drive Recharge -
    2x Jump Drive Charge Speed
    Half jump distance (4 sectors)
    - Greatly increased warhead effectiveness -
    12k warhead damage
    10 block warhead explosion radius (increased from 8)
    - Mega Storage -
    50,000 personal storage
    20,000 storage block space
    10,000 cargo expander space per block

Administration Staff:
    ArkWulff
    Thrace_Vega
    NaStral
    Benevolent27

Server Tech:
    Benevolent27

Moderation Staff:
    mod_flagitious
    Ironheld
    Pezz

Server Specs:
    Dedicated Server
    Location: Beauharnois, Montréal, Quebec with fiberoptic backbone throughout the U.S. and Europe
    Processor: Intel I7
    Cores/Threads: 4 cores / 8 threads
    Frequency: 4.0 GHz+
    RAM: 32 GB DDR3
    Net Bandwidth / speed: Unlimited / 250 Mbps
    Anti-DDoS: Included

Last edited:
    Reactions: Thrace Vega

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Who you callin hippie son? :cool:
    Here is how I imagine the light. Peace circles, holding hands, basking in "the sunshine." Flowers in your hair, bongos and hacky sacks everywhere. And then the darkness will arrive. The space hippies will run to their RP ships in panic. The marauders will unleash their death machines. Rockets will destroy the fragile circle of light, and soon the stars will grow dim.. when the dust settles, the darkness will remain.

Reactions: Dr. Whammy
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Here is how I imagine the light. Peace circles, holding hands, basking in "the sunshine." Flowers in your hair, bongos and hacky sacks everywhere. And then the darkness will arrive. The space hippies will run to their RP ships in panic. The marauders will unleash their death machines. Rockets will destroy the fragile circle of light, and soon the stars will grow dim.. when the dust settles, the darkness will remain.
    Well, there will still be some light.

We have no power to extinguish suns yet, unfortunately :p

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    use rock to block out the sun. You get lots of types of it from mining planets, that could be a good use of it.

Reactions: Benevolent27

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Cool story but I don't build RP ships. ...not after what I've seen most people use in multi-player. I know all about The Dark's giant planet popping destructo-thingies. I'll be watching you...

Reaction score
    Should I be worried about joining this server? On one hand we have some form of dark side "planet popping" bricknaughts or something, and then there's the logic-driven torpedo massacre man off somewhere on the light side.

Reaction score
    Despite the chatter, it's pretty tame at the moment while everyone starts building up.

Also, planetcrackers are child's play these days. :P

Reaction score
    Gotta build myself a self-defense turret that can actually take out pirates, then I'll probably end up on a server.

Also, I gotta make a purpose-built starting vessel....none of mine are very good yet. Ah well, work to be done.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Gotta build myself a self-defense turret that can actually take out pirates, then I'll probably end up on a server.

Also, I gotta make a purpose-built starting vessel....none of mine are very good yet. Ah well, work to be done.
    You are given a good starting ship, and a even better starting warship if you join light or dark.

Reaction score
    I know, but I prefer to be self-reliant.

Which is why the 3-person faction rules bother me to no end. I only have 1 brother who plays SM. (And only 2 computer's that will run it well)

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Should I be worried about joining this server? On one hand we have some form of dark side "planet popping" bricknaughts or something, and then there's the logic-driven torpedo massacre man off somewhere on the light side.
    A logic-driven torpedo massacre man!? o_O

That's a good one! If it comes as any reassurance, I don't randomly fire these things at people, they are strictly for anti-capital warfare.

As for independence; I can definitely respect that. If I hadn't been specifically asked to lead the Light faction, I'd still be flying solo as the United Star Axis. As far as I know, solo factions and neutrals are still allowed and welcomed to join the server. You can even join an alliance with either side or with a cluster of other nonaligned factions if it suits your needs. You call the shots for with regard to your faction's diplomatic relations.

In it's last 2 incarnations, I had a really good time and the majority of the community there was always very friendly. Stop by some time and see for yourself.

EDIT: if you need an anti-pirate turret, you can always use one of these. I don't have them publicly available yet but they seem to work well so far.
    Missile Memes.jpg

Reaction score
    Nice, but a rule (I forget where) on the new server's rules mentions no factions under 3 people.

Reaction score
    I hope it's not right.

Oh, and yes, you are the logic-torpedo massacre man. You are a terrible, terrible, server murderer. Lagging people to death from the opposite side of the galaxy. Quit violating the laws of special and general relativity.
    Transmitting usable information from one side of the galaxy to another instantly....no respect for advanced physics. Or the universal speed limit.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I hope it's not right.

Oh, and yes, you are the logic-torpedo massacre man. You are a terrible, terrible, server murderer. Lagging people to death from the opposite side of the galaxy. Quit violating the laws of special and general relativity.
    Transmitting usable information from one side of the galaxy to another instantly....no respect for advanced physics. Or the universal speed limit.

Good Whammy says:

"I think it's important to have a method of balancing the inequities of combat between ships of significantly different sizes. My goal is to make it easier for players who build small to medium sized ships to survive encounters with larger vessels; so that PVP becomes a game of skill rather than size. After all, where's the fun in having a battle when you already know the outcome?"
    11222274_10205776980276275_7912420986771617677_o.jpg

Bad Whammy says:

"I'll never stop my experiments! Never!!! All enemy capital ships must be destroyed to satisfy my Space-napole-itler nuclear explosion fantasies! Your shields are useless! The servers will crash and burn with the intensity of a newborn star! I will devour your bandwith and trap you all in a temporal lag vortex of doom! Muahahaha!!!
    " :D
    Torpedo hit1.jpg Torpedo hit2.jpg

Reaction score
    You have fun with that apocalypse stuff, Doctor.

I'm sure it'll only cause a few, minor, intergalactic diplomatic confrontations. A few minor ones, that's all. You might not even go extra-galactic with the confrontations and problems.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Nah... I'm not that bad. Just as Light vs Dark has a duality theme, so do I.

It boils down to good intentions meant to make the game more interesting and enjoyable for everyone, ...with the capacity to leave a nasty scar on anyone who wants to act like a bully.

Ironically, my warhead knowledge isn't even some carefully guarded secret. It's actually available for download. I'm waiting for the game to be further optimized before I start uploading things like my MIRVS and 100x launchers.

Reaction score
    Yeah, I understand. That said, you never should've admitted that you lagged a server as bad as you did. It's too good of a chance for some laughs to pass up.