Kupu's thread

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Any chance these new textures will have a modified regular hull? It's still my biggest gripe in "realistic" but I've been unsuccessful creating a modified texture I like.

Also I love the new textures so far and I'll have a new PC by the time it will be released so I'm really looking forward to high res Starmade.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Glad you like them! I envy the new PC, i'm unable to play with what i create! :P

Hulls are being redesigned! I'm trying my best to address all the feedback i've received, but as i'm certain you can appreciate, designing something to be tiled over 1 - 100,000 blocks and fit hundreds of build styles for fans of so many different sci-fi settings is no easy task.

That being the case i've kept it simple.

Both hull types will now be made from the same material and have the same colours, but with different detailing. This helps with ship continuity and also lets players greeble on smaller ships without having to build outwards with blocks.

Normal hull will have no seam lines giving a smooth unbroken tiling. It will have slight distress and a small surface pattern.
    Hardend hull is now a single 'tile'. The subdivision has been removed and now looks like it has a reinforced plate attached to the block. This will carry the same surface pattern but with less distress.

I'll try and upload a preview when i'm 100% complete on them as i still tweak them every now and again after testing.

Last edited:

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Don't you get paid for the textures you create?
    If i did or didn't, that's besides the point. I am currently using a laptop in a financial situation that unfortunately doesn't allow me to buy a powerful PC.

Now lets swiftly get back on topic.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Have you done the cockpit/camera yet? (another one of my minor gripes, the old one just didn't seem to blend well with hull blocks)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    The front face of this one is built into a grey hull block, so it shouldn't look too out of place among hulls.
    what will happen if your ships is red or other hull color? kkkk

how do you started making the realistic and pixel textures for the game?

Reaction score
    Hardend hull is now a single 'tile'. The subdivision has been removed and now looks like it has a reinforced plate attached to the block. This will carry the same surface pattern but with less distress.
    sorry for digging up the past but isn't that pretty much what the old (original) hardened hull looked like?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    sorry for digging up the past but isn't that pretty much what the old (original) hardened hull looked like?
    No; the original hardened hull had a weird cross thing in the center of it. This just looks like a metal block with a big metal tile on it, covering the better part of it.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    No, this is the old hull.

It has a subdivision, splitting it into 4 raised tiles each with a bolt through.
    This subdivision was the reason the "realistic" pack had a hard hull split into 4 tiles.

The new hull removes that completely, leaving us with a single raised plate, bolted at each corner.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    No, this is the old hull.

It has a subdivision, splitting it into 4 raised tiles each with a bolt through.
    This subdivision was the reason the "realistic" pack had a hard hull split into 4 tiles.

The new hull removes that completely, leaving us with a single raised plate, bolted at each corner.

*yoink*

I really want to see how this looks in game and I do not feel like waiting, I was able to load up Starmade with full quality settings for the first time ever today... of course I don't have a graphics editor loaded on the new rig yet... Also is it bad that the first thing I did with my new computer was load Starmade in full resolution to see the textures in all their intended glory?

Edit: I have to say the new texture with the old bump map still looks kind of cool.

Last edited:

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    *yoink*

I really want to see how this looks in game and I do not feel like waiting, I was able to load up Starmade with full quality settings for the first time ever today... of course I don't have a graphics editor loaded on the new rig yet... Also is it bad that the first thing I did with my new computer was load Starmade in full resolution to see the textures in all their intended glory?

Edit: I have to say the new texture with the old bump map still looks kind of cool.
    hahah, you're not the first to put samples into the game! :p
    Ah cool! How's the new PC? (No. it's not a bad thing!)

Speaking of normal maps; this new overhaul will eventually get them, but will only have hull maps to start with.
    The whole texture overhaul is probably going to be coming in waves to avoid delays to any game content.

Diffuse textures for hulls, ship systems and crafting components will be done first. Then flora, then terrains.
    Normal maps for hulls will be available in the crafting update, the rest will follow asap.

Reactions: flpsantoss
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    About the new hardened hull:

the current hull has some slight hexagon detail on it, wich makes it fit well with the hexagon bits on a lot of the other blocks. I know most of those hexagons are about to be removed, and it is no longer relevant to have them on the hull, but i find it to look better than the square stuff on the new one, mostly because it is more subtle.

(also, is the new texture darker? it feels so)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'm not sure if I need to change a setting or if it's my hack job of a texture implant but the hardened grey hull looks like it has a little to much "noise", which makes it look colored at certain angles.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    New stuff is looking great but Id like to strongly recommend making the personal computers/ display screens transparent with radar indicators and whatnot on it. This will help them differ from weapon computers and I believe it will look very cool. I imagine them to look like the dark elves screens in the second Thor and the computers in Avatar.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I'm not sure if I need to change a setting or if it's my hack job of a texture implant but the hardened grey hull looks like it has a little to much "noise", which makes it look colored at certain angles.
    possibly both!
    The texture compression is quite harsh. Blacks turn purple and green and greys get a little fuzzy. (turning this off really hurts performance though) It's less noisy that it's predecessor, but i do plan to fine tune things still where i can. Besides, what did you expect? Your adding previews i roughly cut out of the tester sheet by eye! I'd be surprised if it tiles without seams. :D

New stuff is looking great but Id like to strongly recommend making the personal computers/ display screens transparent with radar indicators and whatnot on it. This will help them differ from weapon computers and I believe it will look very cool. I imagine them to look like the dark elves screens in the second Thor and the computers in Avatar.
    I really don't want to start putting things in that deliberately look like 'X' from Halo, 'Y' from Avatar or 'Z' from Warhammer etc. Sure, the game has a few references to the sci fi classics (some really obvious ones!) But this redesign is my attempt to give Starmade it's own idiosyncratic look while staying relatively true to what preceded it.

Computers will vary in type, but they will not be like X, Y, Z purposely.

About the new hardened hull:

the current hull has some slight hexagon detail on it, wich makes it fit well with the hexagon bits on a lot of the other blocks. I know most of those hexagons are about to be removed, and it is no longer relevant to have them on the hull, but i find it to look better than the square stuff on the new one, mostly because it is more subtle.

(also, is the new texture darker? it feels so)
    Yea, a little darker maybe. In game lighting changes things quite a bit.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    There's a possibility you're seeing discoloration due to the game's texture compression. I noticed discoloration mostly on the black normal hull but I notice a little discoloration as well on the hardened grey hull, to get rid of the discoloration issue, turn off "Texture Array Compression" in the advanced settings. Hopefully that will fix the problem, or at least improve things.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    possibly both!
    The texture compression is quite harsh. Blacks turn purple and green and greys get a little fuzzy. (turning this off really hurts performance though) It's less noisy that it's predecessor, but i do plan to fine tune things still where i can. Besides, what did you expect? Your adding previews i roughly cut out of the tester sheet by eye! I'd be surprised if it tiles without seams. :D
    There's a possibility you're seeing discoloration due to the game's texture compression. I noticed discoloration mostly on the black normal hull but I notice a little discoloration as well on the hardened grey hull, to get rid of the discoloration issue, turn off "Texture Array Compression" in the advanced settings. Hopefully that will fix the problem, or at least improve things.
    Yeah that fact that my glass is now all opaque is certainly my fault but the other texture issues was caused by compression. The game looks much better without it, I usually have it off but as this was a new instal on a new computer I had just forgotten.