Kupu's thread

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Wooooo! I like the new core texture.

Also, will the new computer textures be distinct on each face (I can look at any one face and tell instantly which computer it is?)
    Probably not from every single face, not unless you have eagle eyes. There will be subtle differences but nothing drastic. Decals relating to the blocks role will be on the top and sides of CPU blocks, the back will remain as ports, vents and wiring of varying colours with the bottom left blank.

The front face will still be the boldest and easiest way to identify the CPU as this is used to orientate the blocks output direction.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    One problem I see so far, AMCs will no longer be AMCs.

I will be getting a new PC in a week or two so I am really looking forward to finally being able to crank my graphic settings up and being able to enjoy these new textures.

Reactions: flpsantoss
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    One problem I see so far, AMCs will no longer be AMCs.
    i know its not the place, but what you mean with this?

And Kupu, i like the color idea for systems. About animation, some blocks have, others don't. There will be any block getting one with these textures?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    i know its not the place, but what you mean with this?

And Kupu, i like the color idea for systems. About animation, some blocks have, others don't. There will be any block getting one with these textures?
    Unless some decision has been reversed Anti Matter Cannons will simply be Cannons.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Unless some decision has been reversed Anti Matter Cannons will simply be Cannons.
    Correct, they will be cannons. The term AMC will no longer be it's official label.

...About animation, some blocks have, others don't. There will be any block getting one with these textures?
    Water will probably receive an animation at some point. Other than that, all non animated blocks will remain non animated for the near future... although i would like to add more animated deco blocks. :)

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Correct, they will be cannons. The term AMC will no longer be it's official label.

Water will probably receive an animation at some point. Other than that, all non animated blocks will remain non animated for the near future... although i would like to add more animated deco blocks. :)
    haha, Kupu...you and I had the same idea. I have been playing around with some animated deco blocks. I figured since I added 13 custom deco blocks already....whats a few more?...and make them animated too! :)

Reaction score
    Looks good. I'm looking forward to seeing the improvements made. And the reduced space will also be great, my poor laptop would appreciate it, haha.

Reaction score
    I wake this morning " I should make a texture pack ... " see Kupu's work " Okay let's give up ... " ... This will be the update of the realistic ?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I wake this morning " I should make a texture pack ... " see Kupu's work " Okay let's give up ... " ... This will be the update of the realistic ?
    Aw no! If you wanted to make one, just do it! It's good fun and it's always nice to see community creations. Besides, we can only ever get better if we try right? :)

Yes, this will be replacing the "realistic" set as a default preset and Cartoon + Old Style will be removed. Pixel will remain as it is for now.

Reaction score
    Yes , but after seen your work ... it will be hard to not be not inspired by you :D You are working with Photoshop (CS6?) right ? How are you doing your textures ?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Yes , but after seen your work ... it will be hard to not be not inspired by you :D You are working with Photoshop (CS6?) right ? How are you doing your textures ?
    Yea, i am. But GIMP, Pixlr or older versions of photoshop will work just as well for this. You don't need a complex program to do SM textures.

I briefly mentioned how here;
    I start by drawing on a scrap of paper with a biro, haha. My desk is a mess with random papers and scribbles on. Some of them are painted by hand in photoshop but most are done with clipping masks and shape tools in photoshop. I'd like to say i had a really clever or interesting process, but i don't, sorry! :p
    I'm using a drawing tablet, but again, it's not essential.

Reaction score
    Okay thanks . I will do some sketches , I think that the best for beginning .

Reaction score
    I don't know if this is the place to ask but are you considering adding more default player skins to choose from?
    I'd like to make more player skins and just upload them in this site's own content library for pubic use. Having anymore skins shipped with the game as default is more Omni's domain. (I've been stacking up ideas on potential skins i want to make though :D)
    I'm often flattered when people think Kupu made the default Dave skin, as he's a much more experienced 2D artist than I am. I was even more flattered when Kupu said he didn't think he could really make a better "default" skin than the Dave skin I had made. :D Mostly because a default skin should be as simple and straightforward as possible I think, but still flattering. Kupu did make the Trading Guild skin that's used by the NPC in the shop, though.

More default choices is definitely something I'd like to do. Actually, I have some ideas that could offer great flexibility and choice in default player skins, but that's very low priority compared to the current focus of development. So yes, I'd like more defaults, but in the future. :) In the meantime, the community is working to help fill the gap.

As for the process? I start by drawing on a scrap of paper with a biro, haha. My desk is a mess with random papers and scribbles on. Some of them are painted by hand in photoshop (like the attached picture) but most are done with clipping masks and shape tools in photoshop. I'd like to say i had a really clever or interesting process, but i don't, sorry! :p
    A lot of the time, simple is best. :) No reason to make it any more complex than it has to be. Doing things in a simple way is part of being a good artist. Often simple is both efficient and less likely to have negative side effects.

What do i hope to achieve with new textures? I want Starmade to clearly have it's own visual identity and stand pretty amongst other popular voxel titles. It will be a slow and steady evolution as we develop the game, but i hope near the end Starmade looks as good as it deserves.

Here's a quick peek at some flora concepts! Another project that will take place after this main texture update.

With Dave as well, I wanted to give StarMade its own visual identity. Many people new to the game will see him as similar to the Minecraft player model (and familiarity is more comfortable), but he has very specific differences that set him apart. Not only is he designed to have a higher resolution texture, more importantly he is designed to have a smooth body which is connected and bends with the player's movement. (And has smoother animations.) However, he is still simple and straightforward, hopefully making it easier for people who have never skinned before to get started. :) It also gives a distinct and recognizable figure rather than trying to appear realistic. (And is higher performance due to simplicity.)

If you see Dave, you know he's from StarMade. He's not designed to look realistic, he's designed to give people freedom in what they make and help establish StarMade's artistic identity. (Though hopefully future modding will allow people to make whatever figures they wish, as realistic or as alien as they like. As detailed/high-poly or as basic/low-poly as they like.)

Indeed. My understanding is that they will simply be cannons now. No reason they HAVE to be anti-matter. Though if you don't like the change, just mod them back to being labeled as anti-matter. :)

Aw no! If you wanted to make one, just do it! It's good fun and it's always nice to see community creations. Besides, we can only ever get better if we try right? :)
    Okay thanks . I will do some sketches , I think that the best for beginning .
    Never be discouraged. How do you think Kupu got started? ;) Do it for the passion of what you make and to express your creativity, or just to alter the visuals to be what YOU want instead of how others think it should look. There was a time when I didn't have the faintest idea what I was doing and anything (and EVERYTHING) I made looked terrible, but I never let that stop me and here I am now. :D

Go with whatever workflow feels most natural to you and see what happens! :)

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I'm often flattered when people think Kupu made the default Dave skin, as he's a much more experienced 2D artist than I am. I was even more flattered when Kupu said he didn't think he could really make a better "default" skin than the Dave skin I had made. :D Mostly because a default skin should be as simple and straightforward as possible I think, but still flattering. Kupu did make the Trading Guild skin that's used by the NPC in the shop, though.

More default choices is definitely something I'd like to do. Actually, I have some ideas that could offer great flexibility and choice in default player skins, but that's very low priority compared to the current focus of development. So yes, I'd like more defaults, but in the future. :) In the meantime, the community is working to help fill the gap.
    i bring dishonah

shamefur dispray

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I think something else that's cool is that Omni looks like the common portrayal of Jesus and Kupu looks like Obi-Wan Kenobi from Star Wars :p

Also the upcoming new textures; AWESOME!

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    First, let me say; fantastic work Kupu! This will definitely be my new go-to pack. The hexagons are absolutely a fantastic touch for the shield module, and I can't wait to build with them! They'll definitely be getting some more face time, instead of just hiding behind hull.

That said, I was curious about a few things:
    • Are you planning to have more unique monitor displays for the original decorative computer blocks? The current ones are a bit similar.
    • Would you consider keeping the old school "Y" shape for Yhole? You know... for science.
    • Do you think that there will be room in the official launcher for high quality user-submitted packs in the future?
    • Are you planning on varying the heights of the plant-life to multi-block levels (assuming its technically feasible)?

Thanks for your time, and keep up the great work! (Hope this is all on-topic!)
    -Dal

Reactions: kupu

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    • Are you planning to have more unique monitor displays for the original decorative computer blocks? The current ones are a bit similar.
    • Would you consider keeping the old school "Y" shape for Yhole? You know... for science.
    • Do you think that there will be room in the official launcher for high quality user-submitted packs in the future?
    • Are you planning on varying the heights of the plant-life to multi-block levels (assuming its technically feasible)?
    Thanks for the kind words!

1) Yea, some of the monitors will be clones of the weapon CPU's with different info / colours, others will be completely unique.

2) Controversial topic; In short, no. The flora is being completely redesigned and is only partly based on previous defaults, some are completely new. Going from 64 (less effectively) pixel designs in 4 or or so colours to a semi-realistic portrayal of a flower is not a task i wanted to set myself for a few reasons. 1, i simply didn't like all the designs, 2, some of the shapes won't translate as well. 3, there are repeats that needed unique textures.

I know yholes have a cult following, so i'm bound to upset some purists* with this. The name will stay, and they will be hole'y, just not Y'y.

3) I don't know, i've not heard of any plans pertaining to something like that. Personally i see no need. Players are more than capable of finding / creating their own packs and loading them is easier than ever. Before schema adopted me, i was just a forum member pushing pixels, i never felt my content was invisible or hard to reach and this was before the new website features we have...

But more importantly, it's just a minefield of opinions. Who says whats good enough? Is it worth the extra file size? (The texture folder will be getting a purge soon) Should we be endorsing some community content over others? Are there legal ramifications regarding IP?

4) This is something i really want to do later on. Current work is just on the existing 20 flora. Multi level or multi sprite designs is on the wishlist though. This also applies to trees. We need multiple tree types of varying sizes and colours too.

Reaction score
    Multi level or multi sprite designs is on the wishlist though. This also applies to trees.
    This reminds me of a certain block-game's mod where you could chop down trees. Then I thought: with break-off and planet gravity, we have real block-gravity!

Reactions: jzimmerman4