Kupu's thread

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I love this when can we expect to see them in game?
    I set a rough guide of 2 weeks (this excludes normal mapping + the flora update). I just want to get it done asap for the crafting system. So as soon as it's done you'll get it :)

Few more previews for you all! (because i really didn't expect such a response :oops:)

I really liked the current AMC and Missile designs, so i kept them relatively true. Besides, i wouldn't want to pull the rug out from anyone and swap everything up too much.

Blocks shown, Power Supply Beam, Astrotech Beam, Missile.

Back to the drawing board!

Reaction score
    'Dat Power Supply Beam, not that the others aren't pretty, but those squiggly energy lines <3

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    I set a rough guide of 2 weeks (this excludes normal mapping + the flora update). I just want to get it done asap for the crafting system. So as soon as it's done you'll get it :)

Few more previews for you all! (because i really didn't expect such a response :oops:)

I really liked the current AMC and Missile designs, so i kept them relatively true. Besides, i wouldn't want to pull the rug out from anyone and swap everything up too much.

Blocks shown, Power Supply Beam, Astrotech Beam, Missile.

Back to the drawing board!
    *squints eyes* Are those textures... Rectangular?

Anyhow, they look incredible. I am especially interested in what the hull will look like. (I really hope it will look a bit cleaner than before)

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    *squints eyes* Are those textures... Rectangular?

Anyhow, they look incredible. I am especially interested in what the hull will look like. (I really hope it will look a bit cleaner than before)
    Haha, yes. Some of them are. It's just showcasing the tiling. The actual texture shown on a block 216 pixels, the rectangular ones are the full 256 showing it's tiling. Left side of the 216 pixel boundary being connected to the right side of the 216 pixel boundary.

Hull textures are cleaner, yea. I won't show the white hull texture in a preview because the colour changes so much in game.
    The texture is now quite grey, this just stops the blinding reflections on hulls. I've done the same on all hulls to try and preserver the colour in direct sunlight.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I would love to see the cannons and power supply being animated blocks

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    The idea of 'no animation' versions of Realistic and Pixel appeals to me terribly. I'd use a texture called "Static Pixel" in a heart beat.

Reactions: flpsantoss

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Love the new textures, although I worry they wont look as awesome ingame :/

Are we going to be getting any new texture sheets soon so we can have our modded blocks back?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    The idea of 'no animation' versions of Realistic and Pixel appeals to me terribly. I'd use a texture called "Static Pixel" in a heart beat.
    It's not the textures themselves that animate, you just need to alter the blockconfig.xml. Find <Animated>True</Animated> lines and swap them to false.

Love the new textures, although I worry they wont look as awesome ingame :/

Are we going to be getting any new texture sheets soon so we can have our modded blocks back?
    These previews are the same size and fidelity as will go into the 256 pack. What happens in Opengl compression is out of my hands.

Yea, we will hopefully be creating specific sheets for custom block slots.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I did think about it, but it would kill performance. Some people already struggle with gens and shields.
    Well i said i love to see, not that it would be a good thing game wise

this could become a setting ingame

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Hey Kupu, are the decorative blocks planned to get an overhaul as well?

I love the hexagon style you're going for (even though it is loathed upon for being a too quick way of making stuff futuristic-looking), but I find the tri-hex 'emblem' a bit too abundant. Especially the decorative blocks suffer from it as it easily breaks the flow of a larger surface with multiple of them adjacent to each other.

Personally, I think the hexagons belong onto screens and forcefields, not as a sharp emblem onto everything that has space for it. It is a bit too catchy in its current form.

Reaction score
    I love the hexagon style you're going for (even though it is loathed upon for being a too quick way of making stuff futuristic-looking), but I find the tri-hex 'emblem' a bit too abundant. Especially the decorative blocks suffer from it as it easily breaks the flow of a larger surface with multiple of them adjacent to each other.

Personally, I think the hexagons belong onto screens and forcefields, not as a sharp emblem onto everything that has space for it. It is a bit too catchy in its current form.
    Hmm... maybe I should make the tri-hexagon symbol part of the symbol for humanity and part of the emblem/flag of the Galactic Federation. (Probably used by the Trading Guild as well.) Though that might be moving in the opposite direction of what you're suggesting, haha. :p

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    SkullCollector
    Deco blocks have been done, only 1 of them has the emblem on it IIRC.

As for cliche' sci fi iconography? It's an open sandbox game with no set lore. It's an incredibly bland logo that seems futuristic enough without hinting on to any specific culture, corporations, circumstance or back story.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    Not yet, sorry!

I'm currently drawing things up though. Hopefully i'll have something to show in the near future.
    Hi Kupu

Been along time since i posted, I'm still hoping for the skeleton astronaut i saw on you web page all those moons ago :)

Any plans on animated energy conduits that pulse along their length and connect to keep the pulse travelling ??

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Hi Kupu

Been along time since i posted, I'm still hoping for the skeleton astronaut i saw on you web page all those moons ago :)

Any plans on animated energy conduits that pulse along their length and connect to keep the pulse travelling ??
    Haha, i don't think that skeleton will be in the game :P

The animated conduit pipes however... :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Hey Omni, do you have a thread for you to talk about what you do for the game?

Haha, i don't think that skeleton will be in the game :p

The animated conduit pipes however... :D
    What skeleton?

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Do animated textures affect performance at all? If so I'd be inclined to use it as well.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Do animated textures affect performance at all? If so I'd be inclined to use it as well.
    Probably. But this is not a texture pack option nor controlled by textures. So there would be no using a "non animated pack". It's all in the config.

If you want to disable them, try this;

Open the blockconfig.xml file in the Starmade/data/config directory with a text editor, notepad will do fine. Use the search function CMD+F for mac, CTRL+F (i think?) for windows and type <Animated>true</Animated> into the search bar. Replace all results with <Animated>false</Animated>

Reaction score
    Hey Omni, do you have a thread for you to talk about what you do for the game?
    Actually, no. Hmm... interesting idea. I'll consider making one.

If you'd like more information on Fauna, however, I kinda hijacked someone else's thread talking about Fauna to discuss the topic and offer some insight into the future of Fauna: :) What Creatures/Aliens and other life forms would you like to see? Mostly just my random thoughts rather than official statements, but you might find it interesting nonetheless.

As for what I do for the game, it's a bit more nebulous at times. My largest responsibility is handling models and animations, obviously. That includes Dave, any Fauna, any equipment for Dave/NPCs, and could include a variety of other things in the future depending on what is implemented. I'm also working on GUI redesign (no ETA), and will be working on particle effects for weapons. (Or any other particle effects.)

While exact details or plans in regards to this are yet to be determined, it is my intent to also write a default StarMade "lore". This lore is for players who don't want to bother writing their own lore or getting the lore of another sci-fi universe, for those who just want to jump into the game and build ships with something already there to blow up. That would be the source of the "Galactic Federation" I was referring to, as well as elaborate on the Trading Guild and try to give some sort of explanation of how the game technology works. Of course the game mechanics are made first and the lore would be written second, so I'd have to throw around a lot of pseudo-science nonsense. :p No reason the (default) StarMade universe has to follow the same physical laws as our own universe, though. We already have space friction. (Again, for gameplay reasons.)

I take a lot of roles due to having experience in an incredibly wide variety of different aspects of game creation. Tom is a better 2D artist than me easily, and Schema is a coding machine, but I never specialized when it came to development. I'm a jack of all trades, but a master of none. (Though probably my personal favorite aspect of the development process is skeletal character animation, whether 3D or 2D.)

But this is Tom's thread. Not trying to hijack it. :p Back on topic, people, talking about our wonderful, talented and prolific 2D artist!

Reactions: AnnaShade017
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I want to marry kupu and do naughty things to his beard