Kupu's thread

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Sure, the game has a few references to the sci fi classics (some really obvious ones!).
    I am guessing one is that the Bobby AI Module looks like HAL?

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I really don't want to start putting things in that deliberately look like 'X' from Halo, 'Y' from Avatar or 'Z' from Warhammer etc. Sure, the game has a few references to the sci fi classics (some really obvious ones!) But this redesign is my attempt to give Starmade it's own idiosyncratic look while staying relatively true to what preceded it.

Computers will vary in type, but they will not be like X, Y, Z purposely.
    Thats not really what I meant, I was just giving examples so that you would know what I was talking about. I just believe that would be a really neat to have more variance since weapon computers and personal computers have the same effect since they are so similar.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Thats not really what I meant, I was just giving examples so that you would know what I was talking about. I just believe that would be a really neat to have more variance since weapon computers and personal computers have the same effect since they are so similar.
    Ah i see. Yea, there will be some variance in screen types.

Reaction score
    This makes me wonder, with a little bit of doubt, if this means we can look forward to a hull design technique called "Aztec-ing" where we can create pattern designs (through subtle color differences) on the hulls of our ships.

This "Aztec pattern" is only apparent when up close and at angles with light reflecting off of it. They did something like this in most sci-fi series I've seen (of which I will admit only seeing four such series) in one manner or another.

What we have at current doesn't allow it and I am having my doubts because making it possible would require a lot of new blocks to be added to cover the various shades of grey, red, blue, yellow, and so on. Would be easier to make a block that is already "aztec'd".

And while it may not be (IMO) possible yet, I appreciated the idea it gave me for this kind of hull design option.

Reaction score
    No, this is the old hull.

It has a subdivision, splitting it into 4 raised tiles each with a bolt through.
    This subdivision was the reason the "realistic" pack had a hard hull split into 4 tiles.

The new hull removes that completely, leaving us with a single raised plate, bolted at each corner.

The new hull design is amazing ! The little pattern added give some ... erp ... "relief" ? Does "relief" means relief in english ?

Reactions: kupu
    Reaction score
    Yes ! So relief have the same signification in French and English ...

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Oh yeah I remember another thing I wanted to ask...

Will the damage overlays be getting an overhaul? I've never been a fan of the "fire in space" and to me it just makes ships look like they have random orange patches for no reason over actual battle damage. I know having damage being recognizable is important but I would love to see a more scorched based damage overlay.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    the new decorative blocks, and i don't remember the name right now. The "grills" texture are transparent right? so the way we see then in game are set in config or the texture alone?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    the new decorative blocks, and i don't remember the name right now. The "grills" texture are transparent right? so the way we see then in game are set in config or the texture alone?
    The texture itself is transparent, as well as the glass and all the sprites.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, there needs to be transparent bits in the texture, but there's also a tag in the blockconfig

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Both. The textures with transparent parts are created over a transparent canvas, this requires an editor that can handle alpha channels.
    Secondly, to render the blocks behind our transparent block we need to enable the option "Blendable" in the block editor.
    Hope that helps.

Oh yeah I remember another thing I wanted to ask...

Will the damage overlays be getting an overhaul? I've never been a fan of the "fire in space" and to me it just makes ships look like they have random orange patches for no reason over actual battle damage. I know having damage being recognizable is important but I would love to see a more scorched based damage overlay.
    Yea, perhaps. Heat is perfectly plausible in space, so is fire. Even more so when a spaceship is a concentrated container of flammable gasses. But all that petty nit picking aside, the damage overlay needs to fulfill 2 basic roles. 1 of which is not being met currently.

1, To visibly indicate damage from a reasonable distance on all surfaces.
    2, To damage the surface appropriately according to it's material.

I've no idea if it's currently plausible to dictate damage overlay graphics dependant on material (i'm talking a basic distinction between organics, metals and ship systems)... But it would help.

EDIT; So this is possible. I'll be drawing up plans in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Both. The textures with transparent parts are created over a transparent canvas, this requires an editor that can handle alpha channels.
    Secondly, to render the blocks behind our transparent block we need to enable the option "Blendable" in the block editor.
    Hope that helps.

Yea, perhaps. Heat is perfectly plausible in space, so is fire. Even more so when a spaceship is a concentrated container of flammable gasses. But all that petty nit picking aside, the damage overlay needs to fulfill 2 basic roles. 1 of which is not being met currently.

1, To visibly indicate damage from a reasonable distance on all surfaces.
    2, To damage the surface appropriately according to it's material.

I've no idea if it's currently plausible to dictate damage overlay graphics dependant on material (i'm talking a basic distinction between organics, metals and ship systems)... But it would help.

EDIT; So this is possible. I'll be drawing up plans in the coming weeks.

I'll have to go over it at some point in the future. It's not a priority right now though.
    Heat for sure, fire in spits but it would not last long. Animated overlays! starts out hot and slowly fades away to scorches. I know heat dissipation in a vacuum is really slow so it does make sense that a heated object would stay heated but I've never really gotten that from looking at a damaged ship after battle. I don't look at it and say "wow that was an epic battle, look at all that damage" instead it's more like "look at all those orange spots". Even if it's not an official part of the game I sure would like an alternative texture. I've never had a problem seeing my scorched overlay as long as black isn't to dark it's not a problem.

Different overlays depending on block type would be cool, or even based on damage type, missiles scorch, beams heat, and cannons rip.

Reactions: Ithirahad

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Animated or fading overlays have been discussed in the past, but iirc they presented some problems, unfortunately.

Damage based on block types paired with a better texture should prevent ships looking like they've got a case of chicken pox.

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer
    Reaction score
    You are speaking about animated overlays ? Like lava ? I don't see the interest . Maybe some little flames and smoke can render good ... Ah ! I have understand what Sven means . A overlay type for each types of block . That could be interesting .

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Any chance you'll be having another look at plex doors? The last time they changed it seemed to go from being too much to too little, its very boring now, and too dark i think. Can't see the lines untill i'm right up next to it.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Any chance you'll be having another look at plex doors? The last time they changed it seemed to go from being too much to too little, its very boring now, and too dark i think. Can't see the lines untill i'm right up next to it.
    What we really need are several types of door. Corrugated doors like we have now, sliding metal doors... Heck, even wooden doors that swing open and closed, like those in Minecraft.

Reaction score
    What we really need are several types of door. Corrugated doors like we have now, sliding metal doors... Heck, even wooden doors that swing open and closed, like those in Minecraft.
    And wedge doors, but that's not something Kupu can do anything about. That's more of a block thing than texture thing. Don't think we'll get wooden doors though. Not yet. Probably reserve those for planetary structures and have them in the same group as plexlifters.

But yes on several types of door textures. Very yes.