[Discussion] Tired of hearing "soon"? Thoughts on the Q&A

Reaction score
    I think the major problem here is the questions. They could have been organized better and the thread could have shut down sooner. But I don’t really think laying blame is the best way to go about this. Mushroom Fleet did the best they could under the circumstances and I’m sure things will only get better. I personally liked the informality of the interview because it makes me feel like this is a really grassroots thing. But even if you don't, complaining about the free content they are making is not a way to make friends. I honestly have seen very few complaints besides your comments in both the Q&A chat and here. I think you really need to look at who your constituents are, or even whether you have any here. If these are just your opinions it's really selfish to try and hold Schema and Tomino accountable for your personal likes and dislikes.

Reactions: Neon_42
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Tomino_sama I don't think you understand my point. This is my fault for not explaining it clearly. I'll try and address your concern.

0) I apologize if you feel patronized. I definitely am a bit gruff when presenting and Tone is very difficult to convey over the internet. My intent is not to attack you or MF personally. Though this is besides the point, and that particular statement you were referring to has nothing to do with you or MF.

1)I did ask for longer questions, I don't think I ever asked for a shorter Q&A. I believe that was suggested by schema. Something I agree with. Certainly these two would seem contradictory. But if you read a few comments back. I did say that it was clear that not all questions needed an answer. Especially if they are not going to be answered. Thus problem solved.

2) I think you're missing the point here. I'm not asking for an explanation of why you did what you did. I'm saying your responses to the devs answers were, for lack of a better word, empty. Everything is agreed with or "interesting". It shows no thought or concern. Please dont do this, and please dont be offended by the word "empty". As a suggestion, you can transition between questions without saying anything if you have nothing to say.

I certainly understand the finer points of presenting. I do it pretty much every day. So do not lecture me on it. If you read a comment I made to Schema before, you'll see I suggested having two types of Q&As. One where it is heavily scripted and planned out. Really an interview and a Q&A like you said. It may be rude to ask questions like "when will factories work because they just stop", but these are questions we want to hear the answers too. In the OP the point was that we are tired of waiting for these things. So why not ask these questions? I'm not saying ask them out of turn. The timing should be appropriate. This is up to you when to ask them.

3)Sorry about this one. I didn't explain it well. I was thinking of something along the lines of a press release. The interviewer can go through a bunch of questions they know to be important and have a nice discussion on what is going on. At the end open the floor for questions. Just a couple minutes to answer these kinds of questions that do not warrant discussion. Like a rapid fire section. I think you did something like this in the first Q&A.

4)Do not misinterpret open answers for empty answers. If a question is asked give a thorough answer. That is what I'm saying. You dont need to answer every one of my aforementioned questions, just the ones that apply. For example the very first question you asked in the last Q&A was done masterfully. "TS:do you plan to have the player rotate", "Schema: Yeah we are". BOOM! done took all of 5 seconds. That was all this question needed, and you're off. If every question were like this you'd be done in less than an hour. Not all questions are like that though. Making time for discussion is not easy but you need to do it. This possibly means ignoring some simpler questions. You and the dev team need to make these choices or the presentation will be bloated like the last one. This means deciding that some questions are more important than others. I know you don't want to let people think they are being neglected, but we do feel neglected as stated in the OP, and answering all the little questions isn't helping. We want to see progress and lots of it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    I tend to agree with OP on the grounds that this game has been in alpha for 2 years, Minecraft and 7 days to die have updates out at a pace of once a month in there alpha stages sometimes faster. even still I think the real problem and nobody has said this, isn't that updates are slow so much as the only thing to do in the game is PVP, Space station hunting is a joke at best. Mobs even updated to have better ships are not that problematic due to there limited AI they don't take advantage of there maneuverability at all. So in the end its just kill the easy mobs make tons of cash from there drops, no need to mine anything. the game is seriously lacking PVE content and a real reason to mine planets and asteroids. all I spend my time doing is building 1:1 scale ships which isn't hard because I have billions of credits from a couple of raider waves its just tedium finding shops with materials to buy and then assembling it to only be able to PVP with it, if I wanted that I could just play eve online.
    Give me more game content not fluffy new mechanics till then ( and for the last 6 months) I have no intention of playing.
    I visit the forums once a week hoping for more content.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I tend to agree with OP on the grounds that this game has been in alpha for 2 years, Minecraft and 7 days to die have updates out at a pace of once a month in there alpha stages sometimes faster.
    Minecraft features that were released were often unfinished at the time of release, or even worse got totally forgotten because Notch got bored easily. Not to mention Minecraft features that got quickly released honestly weren't really spectacular while it was in Alpha. Only Beta and release really brought the bigger features. And players complained they were still incomplete. Then 1.0 was released. And people STILL bitched that stuff wasn't complete. (most of the time they were right too because Notch had no sense of direction)

I'm not going to sit here and say Star Made is perfect, but the planning going into it is a hell of a lot more thought out than the way Notch went about Minecraft. I'd rather Schema flesh things out and stay in Alpha than go into Beta and have to hear people complain about how features are still broken all over again like Minecraft. Or how EA rushed Battlefield 4 to release buggy as hell. When I still played, every time something was announced the comments were filled with twelve year olds screaming "fix the netcode!".

I agree with your overall sentiment of not much to do, but it's in the best interests of the game at this very moment. We've just got to make our own fun in the mean time. I think the wait for that last update left a bad taste in the community's mouth, but to see a developer who takes the time of day to talk to the community and hold Q&As/take suggestions the way he does really shows how despite the game being updated slowly, it's going places and I can have the patience to wait.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    I tend to agree with OP on the grounds that this game has been in alpha for 2 years, Minecraft and 7 days to die have updates out at a pace of once a month in there alpha stages sometimes faster. even still I think the real problem and nobody has said this, isn't that updates are slow so much as the only thing to do in the game is PVP, Space station hunting is a joke at best. Mobs even updated to have better ships are not that problematic due to there limited AI they don't take advantage of there maneuverability at all. So in the end its just kill the easy mobs make tons of cash from there drops, no need to mine anything. the game is seriously lacking PVE content and a real reason to mine planets and asteroids. all I spend my time doing is building 1:1 scale ships which isn't hard because I have billions of credits from a couple of raider waves its just tedium finding shops with materials to buy and then assembling it to only be able to PVP with it, if I wanted that I could just play eve online.
    Give me more game content not fluffy new mechanics till then ( and for the last 6 months) I have no intention of playing.
    I visit the forums once a week hoping for more content.

Everything you just pointed out is relying on two things.

1. Admins setting the correct settings in server.cfg (that is our choice if we leave defaults in place and also our own fault)

2. The Community you are choosing to be a part of.

You clearly have not been looking around much if you have not seen the hundreds of examples of emerging gameplay and player driven content that is not orchestrated by myself. This is filmed easily due to the game creating the content through player interaction. None of the thing you list are issues where we are playing Starmade.

Groundwork for the foundations go in first, not rushing in Shiny features to keep you interested when the rest of the game will simply be incompatible at this point. All the things people ask for have been confirmed. They have a roadmap and you need to learn to trust in that.

TLDR - default settings and an unengaged community make any game boring. This game is what you make of it, with the players you are with and with the settings you choose.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Minecraft features that were released were often unfinished at the time of release, or even worse got totally forgotten because Notch got bored easily. Not to mention Minecraft features that got quickly released honestly weren't really spectacular while it was in Alpha. Only Beta and release really brought the bigger features. And players complained they were still incomplete. Then 1.0 was released. And people STILL bitched that stuff wasn't complete. (most of the time they were right too because Notch had no sense of direction)

I'm not going to sit here and say Star Made is perfect, but the planning going into it is a hell of a lot more thought out than the way Notch went about Minecraft. I'd rather Schema flesh things out and stay in Alpha than go into Beta and have to hear people complain about how features are still broken all over again like Minecraft. Or how EA rushed Battlefield 4 to release buggy as hell. When I still played, every time something was announced the comments were filled with twelve year olds screaming "fix the netcode!".

I agree with your overall sentiment of not much to do, but it's in the best interests of the game at this very moment. We've just got to make our own fun in the mean time. I think the wait for that last update left a bad taste in the community's mouth, but to see a developer who takes the time of day to talk to the community and hold Q&As/take suggestions the way he does really shows how despite the game being updated slowly, it's going places and I can have the patience to wait.

^ This.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    gashnal
    as above + the game is not balanced (so there isn't much of challenge) yet, because game is still changing and balancing it right now doesn't make sense. It was mentioned several times before.
    The factory update hopefully would change crafting system that to make anything players need to supply their factories with mined blocks. That would be a foundation for balanced economy.

AI isn't smart enough but there will be time for AI update.

And please understand that this game is being developed as fast as possible but not the way some people seem to want - throwing not completed, buggy features in the updates and then releasing "full" version on Steam.
    We all want the game to already be completed but some people need to understand that development actually take time.

Neon_42
    You want Schema to answer shortly on questions which doesn't need explanation but You seem to have a problem with the word "soon".
    This is usually the best answer Schema can give without getting into specifics of game development and time planning explaining us that He will work on something in the future but He currently doesn't know when or when the update is going to be released due to many reasons.
    Additionally Schema explained few times that He does not want to give specific dates for updates releases and that planning the programming is very hard and crippled with inaccuracy, so do You really expect from Schema to repeat Himself many times? Or do You actually want these short answers?

Reactions: Azurite
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    rece ktore leczo ... There is no contradiction. If the question warrants a short answer then give one. If the question can only be answered by saying 'soon' then don't answer because 'soon' means absolutely nothing. It is almost insulting as you are dodging the question too my face. I've made this point many times in this thread. I suggest you go back and read the comments as I'm starting to sound like a broken record. I also expect an in depth discussion. I've also said this many times. There is a balance to be achieved here that schema needs to work out. I suggest you go back and read it all if you want to understand the position I've taken.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Minecraft is a bad example to compare with, it's been released for how long and still does not have the API that was promised. I know they are doing a ton of back work to get the game to a state where they can add the API. Schema has pretty much already stated he would rather have the structure done properly so he doesn't have to go back and change it later. This takes time but will save a ton in the long run.

Additionally some people are way to self entitled. They feel entitled to way more than is due to them, contrary to popular belief we are not all unique flowers.

Reactions: kupu and JimmyJamba
    Reaction score
    Coming back after a year it was a shock to see it's only version 0.14

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Coming back after a year it was a shock to see it's only version 0.14
    It may have been a shock to see that the version number was only x, but the amount of work and new features that has been implemented is quite impressive considering how many people working on the game there are.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Neon_42 i'm following this thread and i've read all the posts. Schema had explained You why He is answering with "soon" but it seems like You doesn't care about his explanation because You somehow feel that this word is insulting.
    It's not dodging the question, it's usually confirming that Schema would work on something but without the time details, because He cannot give us date details without lying.

You have some good points about making next Q&As better and done more smoothly. Well some of them because sometimes You say

"Explain your answers. Never assume the answers are simple. Always answer with: who, what, when, where, why ,and how. Obviously some of these may not always be applicable"

and later You write

"If a question is asked give a thorough answer. That is what I'm saying. You dont need to answer every one of my aforementioned questions, just the ones that apply. For example the very first question you asked in the last Q&A was done masterfully. "TS:do you plan to have the player rotate", "Schema: Yeah we are". BOOM! done took all of 5 seconds. That was all this question needed, and you're off."

But Your example question, basing on Your previous post, also should be answered why, how, when.
    (i know it is very subjective matter, but You wrote as this is universal truth)

BTW You are repeating Yourself because it seems like You are standing Your ground no matter what answers You get. I know that most of people think that their opinion is the best opinion, but please do not be blind for the answers You get. It changes this thread from discussion to throwing up personal opinions, basically, not leading anywhere.

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    rece ktore leczo ... taking those quotes out of context would make it seem that way. In the first example I write Obviously some of these may not always be applicable. CLEARLY NOT A UNIVERSAL TRUTH. The example I gave to Tomino would seem like a contradiction if you are not paying attention.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Just let Schema do his thing and everything will work out fine.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Well i've tried to quote as many of Your text to keep the context but without copying Your whole post.

"4) explain your answers. Never assume the answers are simple. Always answer with: who, what, when, where, why ,and how. Obviously some of these may not always be applicable."

As we now have a whole point from Your post, i think i can comment it.
    I don't think it's hard to see You mean that every time answers should be detailed.
    1. Whole point is about more explanations for the answers
    2. You use words "never" and "always", which are absolute
    3. "some of these may not always be applicable" = some of these (questions - why/where/etc.) may not always be applicable

So i think everybody's interpretation of Your text would be:
    "Always explain answers, answering who, what, when, where, why and how (sometimes not every adjuvant questions must be answered, but some of them still must be answered)"

Also there is no wider context for this point, or at least i don't see it.

Anyway i don't think i will continue this "discussion" with You, it's simply pointless.

Reactions: Tomino_sama