[Discussion] Tired of hearing "soon"? Thoughts on the Q&A

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Neon_42 the main problem of this particular Q&A was that the question thread was open too long, and therefore there were way to many questions. We kept answers short to get through all of them. Part of getting better is making mistakes. Be assured that this is one mistake we won't do again (having 20 sites of questions)

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: [email protected]
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    schema The Q&A was a bit long. Though this could have been alleviated by just not answering some of the questions. Some of them really didn't need to be answered. Especially if they are not going to be answered savvy? The Q&A being open was not the problem. The over all quality of the answers was really the issue that sparked the creation of this thread. Another thing, is that it seemed that very little had changed since the last Q&A. It may have been a bit too soon. Not enough had changed in the game to have any sort of meaningful discussion.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Neon_42 not answering some questions would have probably seemed like I was dodging it, which may be even worse then a short answer. I agree that it may have been to soon, but with fewer questions the focus could have been more on things that I'm currently working on, or are next to be implemented.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    schema I fail to see the difference between what was said and not saying anything. Soon is just as bad as saying nothing. The questions were still dodged but it was done in our faces. There is no information held in the word soon. I agree, that the focus should have been on the current work and next implications. In the future you might consider two kinds of Q&As. One where the questions are well developed by people you trust. This could be guided to highlight where you want the game to go. Then there could be a public one like the last one where people ask whatever they want. Answers can be shorter here but could let the community voice their wants and concerns.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Neon_42 yes, there is not that much difference, but "soon" at least is the confirmation that it's still planned, and we didn't forget about it

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I did manage to follow most of the stream and it was quite a feat as I was on my laptop tethered to my phone. If you followed the google document of questions you would have noticed they didn't even ask all the questions, some of the questions were shortened, and some where even re-phrased so they were not even the same question. I have to say honestly the first stream was better, it was more organized and just put together better. I do hope the next Q&A they take the time to cut questions, organize them into similar topics, and make sure to ask the correct question.

As for disconnected developers, I really don't see this being the case. Schema himself is engaged on the forums, and Omni and Kupu are active as well.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I know that people have jobs & a life, and not the time to take a college course. Asking people for something like that, who do content on their own free time is out of the question. It doesn't matter if it's a free course, because time is money.

Other than that, I believe the best learning comes from doing anyway.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    I know that people have jobs & a life, and not the time to take a college course. Asking people for something like that, who do content on their own free time is out of the question. It doesn't matter if it's a free course, because time is money.

Other than that, I believe the best learning comes from doing anyway.
    I am a strong believer of this and am confident that with time I can improve at any task I carry out. Of course a lot of effort is done behind the scenes by a great many people and so it is important to keep that in mind ;D

Reactions: Dalmont
    Reaction score
    I think this thread is getting kind of ridiculous now, honestly.

Neon_42 What do you want for nothing? All of this is here for free (technically). None of this had to happen. There is no law that says if you make an indie game, you must release it for free, with free updates, along with a kickass free website, free chat, free community content, and for the devs to host a Q&A session for its' fans.... for free. Also, you have the creator of the game addressing your current concerns on the thread you started. What more could you ask for?

C'mon. Let's be a bit more grateful than this....

TL;DR: It's free and you want "Production Value"? Do you know how the world works?

Reactions: JimmyJamba
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Neon_42 I think the problem is that You think games in alpha (pre-alpha) stage are in weeks/months and then go to beta where all the fancy features and balance and even more stuff are added. Well, it may be true for the next Assassins creed or CoD games based on the same engine ("but this time with dogs"), but for the games developed basically from the beginning (engine included) and only by one programmer it will take more then few months.
    StarMade does not have engine tested on previous releases nor dozens of people working on it.
    Schema, as He said, is doing everything he can to bring the final version of the game ASAP.

Just look on the other games:
    • battlefield 4 - new engine, BIG title in game industry, plenty of ppl working on it and it had plenty of bugs upon release.
    • World of Tanks - one of the biggest titles, were in beta for about two years before release and after release they are were adding key mechanics or features like jumping with tanks, after the game was released. Not to mention the dev team says, the game had biggest budget in history of game development in Russia
    • Star Citizen - they have literally millions of dollars for development and are hiring many people for this but it still take some time for them to release the game (over 1.5 a year right now)
    And You think two years for game developed by single man is too much?

If the current state of the game does not satisfy You, then, as mentioned above, some time later come back to the game. We (players) are currently an alpha testers and a suggestions source for Developers.

To the Q&A charges - yeah it wasn't the best performed interview ever, but i think it was mostly due to the plentiful of questions, which most of the time were about same things as previous questions. There is a plea for this, because Calbiri couldn't work on these questions, because his computer was broken (i think he said so during Q&A). Also if Tomino or Raiben would be questioning most of the answers then whole Q&A would last at least few hours more. And over 4 hours were too long anyway.
    Maybe next time there would be less questions or at least less repetitive ones (we sure need a game development roadmap here! :) )

P.S. Developing a game with "it's done when it's ready" approach is the best one. We (at least i) don't want any more buggy games or ones which mechanics are simplified. We want well done, complete games and even if it's supposed to take much time, we will patiently wait for them (anyway i can't wait to play cyberpunk 2077!) .

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Tomino_sama schema ... Sadly learning by doing is only part of how we learn. There is a reason schools and universities exist. If you don't know what to do, then you cant do it at all. It will take 10 times longer to figure it out than to have it taught to you. Believers in doing something instead of learning something are left behind in today's world. Trust me on this. I have a masters degree in astrophysics and am working on my PhD thesis. I am immersed in education every day and I know its ins and outs very well.

If you actually think the I've ignored the amount of effort you all have put into this, then you need to take a step back and understand your consumers. People DO NOT CARE how much effort you put into something. You might put lots of effort into pushing out a turd, but that doesn't mean I want to see it. Giving praise for effort is something do to children so they don't give up. We are adults. Don't expect a pat on the back every time you try something. That being said, I'm glad you're looking to improve. Keep these things in mind while making your videos. They will take you far.

Azurite ... As i told Firestorm29. Schema is an adult. He can handle some criticism, He gets plenty of praise. I'm here to talk about what can be improved. I'm here to talk about some how some of us feel. Not to praise that which is already worshiped and turn a blind eye to that which can be improved. I already showed my gratitude by purchasing the game. So in essence it is not free, and the end intent is for it not to be free. So this point is moot. This is not grade school where we give gold stars for trying. I critique that which needs improvement, and will praise that which is worthy of it. Its time to grow up and stop asking for gratitude. All in all It's been a good job so far. It really has! I'll be the first in line to admit that schema has done a good job so far, but I do feel that the community has been a bit neglected. I am frustrated, as are others, with the progress made recently. If you read the whole thread this is apparent.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    rece ktore leczo ... You miss interpret my point. I understand the weight of what is being asked of schema. I understand the "its done with when its done" attitude, but since you've not been paying attention let me reiterate. We expect a game that works, but this earns you no praise as it is the bare minimum of requirements. Games that don't work die. Its simple. Second, This game and community is in competition with similar products. Even those built by larger companies. If you aim to compete as a small group you'd better be ready for this or forever be eclipsed. This is what I fear. I've clearly chosen this game over the others. I think it has the potential to be the best one in its class, but my expectations are also that much higher. What's more is this game is not being developed by just one man. I don't know where you got that idea from.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    im not looking for praise or a pad on the back. I just want to make a good game. Learning by doing is of course not universal. i also have the german equivalent of masters (before masters replaced it) in Computer Science. I was just trying to explain why I do things the way I do.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I will take this moment to be serious and remind you that Mushroom Fleet is an open community comprised of all nationalities and ages. This means we draw upon the skillset of our 1300 dedicated players. We all have weaknesses and strength of our own and each bring something unique to the table.

Of course if you are serious about shaping changes, you can be a part of them! Everyone is allowed to provide input on what we do. Of course it must be considered other approaches and more heads make for ingenious solutions.

We prefer to proactively be a part of the solution thereby not contributing to the problem. Of course we do this by volition and for the love of the game we all play. I actively invite those from other communites to come along and take part, so you in particluar are welcome to join.

If you are able to offer constructive points that can be integrated into what we do, we will do that.

I believe that the best idea should be the one we use, as i care not if it was personally my own.

now then, back to the internet ;D

Reaction score
    I wasn't aiming to praise, I was simply stating the fact that this stuff is free, people. Let's be a little lenient and forgiving, here. Schema is human and does what he can. No hard life lessons. No pointless debates on education and what-not. The main point is: Schema make game. Game in alpha. Schema human. Schema do what can.

Quit wining. If you think you can get away with better, try. Try and see if you can. Otherwise, play the game. Enjoy yourself. And help this community grow. As of now, all you are doing is fueling a pointless fire, Neon.

FIN.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    @Neon_42 What is it exactly you're trying to achieve here? You say there are problems keeping the community together, and that "soon" isnt good enough for you. But then you're given genuine honest answers, that make sense. And you go on to say you understand why its like that then reiterate your original point.

Basic rundown of this thread:
    Neon_42: I dont like how you're going about this.
    Schema: This is why, its really the best way i can do it.
    Neon_42: I understand that. But i still dont like it.

Also, your lack of understanding that schema is the only real developer for this game (sorry omni, kupu) really undermines your implied understanding of this games development.