Dev Blog : October 20th 2015

Reaction score
    Forget shielding nerfs for teleportation, it should just use a high percentage of power so your reserves start to drain for a limited amount of time (say the whole time your trying to lock on). This way you have risk and reward. To me shields going down doesn't make much sense.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Bench, will we be able to transport more than just astronauts? i.e. can i transport a cargo pod from my miner to my factory room? if it is just astronauts would they need to be in gravity to stand on the pad of would it just be the aria above it? what sort of range would it have?

Last edited:

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Nice to see a dev blog after a while, though the while was worth it! It will be interesting to see how transporters work out, and not to forget community "race tracks"!

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    No one said anything about needing to remove RP interiors. In fact, with our current plans they'll be more important than ever
    OK, Bench.... Spill it.
    Without going into details. I already know I have a TON of refitting work ahead of me. (did you know I've made a LOT of ships (eyelid twitch)) Can you at least tell us what roleplay areas will probably be game-engine interactive? Bedrooms? Commissary? Med bay? Brothel? Handball court? If I need to install plumbing (pardon me, "lavatory enhancers") PLEASE tell me before I get a million blocks into my next build.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    OK, Bench.... Spill it.
    Without going into details. I already know I have a TON of refitting work ahead of me. (did you know I've made a LOT of ships (eyelid twitch)) Can you at least tell us what roleplay areas will probably be game-engine interactive? Bedrooms? Commissary? Med bay? Brothel? Handball court? If I need to install plumbing (pardon me, "lavatory enhancers") PLEASE tell me before I get a million blocks into my next build.
    I'm sure he'll tell us all when there is more news to tell. Somethings are may be concept only and have not even hit the basic planning stage

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    OK, Bench.... Spill it.
    It's not over the top, you won't need plumbing. It's pretty standard like, if you'd think you'd probably need this area on a ship, then better off having it than not.

Reactions: Ixalite and Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I must say, im disappointed in this development.
    While i like the idea of activation gates as way to cut down ship detecting logic lag for stations and such, i fear the message Transporters, and especially Race Gates send towards the Community, both in terms of Direction of the Game and "Your idea to improve the game as a whole was not worth any IDs, but Race Gates are..."

Sorry for the sarcasm.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    While i like the idea of activation gates as way to cut down ship detecting logic lag for stations and such, i fear the message Transporters, and especially Race Gates send towards the Community, both in terms of Direction of the Game and "Your idea to improve the game as a whole was not worth any IDs, but Race Gates are..."

Sorry for the sarcasm.
    I disagree. The devs have overall, been incredibly responsive to this comunity. What they have that ALL of us mere groundlings lack is a picture of the larger development path. Area gates will be useful. Race gates are a direct offshoot from that, that will open new ways to use the sandbox. When one new feature opens a door with new possibilities... Why should it matter that none of us suggested it first? We all can donate brushes and cool tubes of paint in the form of ideas, but Schema is the painter. Thus far he's earned every dollar I've given him 10 fold.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11

Sorry for the sarcasm.
    Are you kidding me? Competitive racing could add a whole new layer to the game. Imagine a "death race" arena/track on a server that people can join/spectate/bet on. That sounds pretty awesome to me.

Reaction score
    Are you kidding me? Competitive racing could add a whole new layer to the game. Imagine a "death race" arena/track on a server that people can join/spectate/bet on. That sounds pretty awesome to me.
    It seems a little unnecessary though, no? You could build a race track right now using logic.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1445471342,1445471312][/DOUBLEPOST]
    It's not over the top, you won't need plumbing. It's pretty standard like, if you'd think you'd probably need this area on a ship, then better off having it than not.
    Could you go over the general mechanics you have planned?

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Interesting FullMetalFox you say we aren't taking on board the community's ideas to improve the game when just in this dev blog we mentioned we're currently implementing Transporters that function in a manner that was suggested by a member of that same community.

GaeasSon pointed out something I seem to say every dev blog, that people too often are quick to jump to poke holes in what we're working on because they don't see it in the same context we do.

Sure, race gates might not seem like they make sense on their own, they seem a bit random. But once you start considering the aspect of winners' pots, betting, etc suddenly there's another way to stimulate the credit economy beyond just buying and selling at shops. Not only that, once missions are added in, we have another avenue to explore as well that encourages players to start to think about how they build ships and what systems they prioritize over others for the context they're using it in.

Similarly transporters are part of a bigger picture as well, one of

[DOUBLEPOST=1445471495,1445471370][/DOUBLEPOST]
    [DOUBLEPOST=1445471342,1445471312][/DOUBLEPOST]

Could you go over the general mechanics you have planned?
    Not currently, there will be another thing on it in the future once we've got it all fairly much in as some stuff might change during implementation.

Reaction score
    No one said anything about needing to remove RP interiors. In fact, with our current plans they'll be more important than ever
    what if you're building something on a level where there isn't much leeway for interiors? Will this be some sort of sliding scale where bigger things will need more space?

Reaction score
    Interesting FullMetalFox you say we aren't taking on board the community's ideas to improve the game when just in this dev blog we mentioned we're currently implementing Transporters that function in a manner that was suggested by a member of that same community.

GaeasSon pointed out something I seem to say every dev blog, that people too often are quick to jump to poke holes in what we're working on because they don't see it in the same context we do.

Sure, race gates might not seem like they make sense on their own, they seem a bit random. But once you start considering the aspect of winners' pots, betting, etc suddenly there's another way to stimulate the credit economy beyond just buying and selling at shops. Not only that, once missions are added in, we have another avenue to explore as well that encourages players to start to think about how they build ships and what systems they prioritize over others for the context they're using it in.

Similarly transporters are part of a bigger picture as well, one of

[DOUBLEPOST=1445471495,1445471370][/DOUBLEPOST]

Not currently, there will be another thing on it in the future once we've got it all fairly much in as some stuff might change during implementation.
    Thank you for your prompt reply. Would it be a good idea to post a suggestion on the subject? I mean, are you guys considering suggestions?

what if you're building something on a level where there isn't much leeway for interiors? Will this be some sort of sliding scale where bigger things will need more space?
    He had another post. RP things will be an advantage, not much else.

Reaction score
    Promoting gambling to stimulate the economy. ....you are from Australia bench. :)

Reactions: Bench

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Still sounds a bit random to me. Unjustified? No, but random. They sound like the sort of thing to add later on in beta, perhaps as part of a rare Racing mission type where you try to beat NPC racers in one of a few possible tracks or something. They do encourage more community events, though, and that's always a good thing, I suppose, but I get the sense that they won't be used very much. Kind of like Battle Mode...

Reaction score
    I think if you are allowed to teleport around the place it will be even harder to stumble upon people, they will just go from A to B teleporting each time. Planets also need bigger protagonism. It would be great to find people living in planets more often but the incentive is not good enough. I once encountered a group of people living underground and they had an amazing hidden base. If there was a bigger incentive (and planets were bigger too) stuff like this would happen more often.