Dev Blog : October 20th 2015

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I have one question, will race gates be able to send out a logic signal when a racer passes through them, but not trigger when any other entity does? I have big plans for this.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'll give you a little bit because a lot of you are a bit concerned and the such.

Eventually, when transporting to board onto an enemy ship, it might not be their transporter that you end up. *wink wink* it's all quite well thought out, wish I could share more.
    oooh! Can I shunt incoming transporter beams into my engines and use hostile boarding parties as fuel?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'll give you a little bit because a lot of you are a bit concerned and the such.

Eventually, when transporting to board onto an enemy ship, it might not be their transporter that you end up. *wink wink* it's all quite well thought out, wish I could share more.
    i am curious why cant you tell us more?

Reaction score
    I'd assume it's because modern day developers are worried about a backlash when a feature doesn't worked as advertised or gets scrapped etc. etc.

"WHY DOES X NOT WORK AS STATED 12 MONTHS AGO!!!!!!!!! U IZ BAD DEVS WAAAAAAAAH"

Something a simple disclaimer would fix.
    "Feature X is planned for the future, here is how we hope it will work, keep in mind this is just an idea/concept at the moment and may not end up in the final product. We're just keeping players in the loop with as much detail as possible so they can provide feedback."

Possibly why half the forum ratings are disabled, as in all the negative options like "dislike" and "disagree". Some people just don't like to deal with or address possibly negative scenarios, even if in reality the majority would understand the game is in development and prone to change and that sometimes there is just limits to what a game engine or coding can do or allow, that things get cut and added all the time at this phase in a games creation.

I think if anything this approach hampers development as it effectively puts a wall between devs and it's community.

I mean this is the whole point of early access, for those playing not to just play the game or to be a source of funds for the developers, but to be an active part of the development. We're not just consumers, we're p(l)ay testers and the more information we have the better we can assist Schine in making the greatest game ever imho.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    It's the christmas effect.

It helps to keep interest higher if you don't know what is inside the packages.
    aka, marketing

Something a simple disclaimer would fix..
    Um...no. There are to many bad early access game developers out there that the whole system has a bad reputation. No one trusts indie developers anymore. A few bad apples have built games based on promises and lies then taken the money and run. A 'disclaimer' would not protect Schema from a searing backlash from the uneducated majority. His reputation will be tarnished, sales will falter and StarMade would die. A 'disclaimer' is a major red flag. "Uh-oh, he doesn't know what he's doing. Pull out! PULL OUT!" The fact that none of this is true is completely irrelevant. People will not take the time or the effort to educate themselves, learn Schema's history and track record. People want to believe, but trust is a much more expensive commodity.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    No it wouldn't. People will freak out about it regardless of if you warn that it's just a concept and it might not work.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    so any ideas on when we will get more options to spend faction points?

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Eventually, when transporting to board onto an enemy ship, it might not be their transporter that you end up. *wink wink*
    Ah, so this is why ships will need "RP areas" (lavatories)...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    No it wouldn't. People will freak out about it regardless of if you warn that it's just a concept and it might not work.
    I reckon this entire game is just a concept, being early access and such, right? I figure anything that can formally communicate that to the player is good. Not communicating because it seems pointless isn't really a good reason to not communicate.

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    I reckon this entire game is just a concept, being early access and such, right? I figure anything that can formally communicate that to the player is good. Not communicating because it seems pointless isn't really a good reason to not communicate.
    They communicate a lot. Some devs are easily reachable in their twitch streams. Schema himself often joins the chats there and answers questions even if they are totally retarded. They post dev blogs with lots of information. And there are still people that are bitching about not being informed enough. Maybe it´s a good idea to start listening instead of complaining.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'd assume it's because modern day developers are worried about a backlash when a feature doesn't worked as advertised or gets scrapped etc. etc.

"WHY DOES X NOT WORK AS STATED 12 MONTHS AGO!!!!!!!!! U IZ BAD DEVS WAAAAAAAAH"

"Feature X is planned for the future, here is how we hope it will work, keep in mind this is just an idea/concept at the moment and may not end up in the final product. We're just keeping players in the loop with as much detail as possible so they can provide feedback."

Possibly why half the forum ratings are disabled, as in all the negative options like "dislike" and "disagree". Some people just don't like to deal with or address possibly negative scenarios, even if in reality the majority would understand the game is in development and prone to change and that sometimes there is just limits to what a game engine or coding can do or allow, that things get cut and added all the time at this phase in a games creation.

I think if anything this approach hampers development as it effectively puts a wall between devs and it's community.

I mean this is the whole point of early access, for those playing not to just play the game or to be a source of funds for the developers, but to be an active part of the development. We're not just consumers, we're p(l)ay testers and the more information we have the better we can assist Schine in making the greatest game ever imho.
    Many of the concepts may be teased when they have not even left the planning phase yet. You don't want to give more information when it is most likely to change. More information will be given when it is in a more fortified state and of course when the features get a public release.

If I recall correctly the negative neutral ratings were removed because they were abused and used as more as a weapon and less for constructive feedback/ criticisms.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    It has been formally communicated any number of times. By the devs and by the players. People actually complain about the 'alpha state' of the game being a 'catch all' argument which 'justifies' bugs and balance issues. Schine communicates constantly, regularly, and informatively. But people still complain about anything and everything because the game isn't polished and sparkling neat as those people envision it.

I'm mean, really, Schema has had three whole weeks since the last update, why aren't we release ready yet? Just plain laziness, I guess.

In general, people are stupid and reality is pretty unimportant to what they want.
    Personally, I think Schine communicates to much. The five minutes it takes them to post is five minutes they could be doing real work. :D

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    It has been formally communicated any number of times. By the devs and by the players. People actually complain about the 'alpha state' of the game being a 'catch all' argument which 'justifies' bugs and balance issues. Schine communicates constantly, regularly, and informatively. But people still complain about anything and everything because the game isn't polished and sparkling neat as those people envision it.

I'm mean, really, Schema has had three whole weeks since the last update, why aren't we release ready yet? Just plain laziness, I guess.

In general, people are stupid and reality is pretty unimportant to what they want.
    Personally, I think Schine communicates to much. The five minutes it takes them to post is five minutes they could be doing real work. :D
    Yea, my greatest concern is that Schine looks healthy enough to move forward at all, regardless of speed. But like I had mentioned in the past, without communication, a project can still look dead to its patrons regardless. Though, Bench has been amazing at keeping us aware of the project's health lately.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Not really a fan of the transporters. Makes boarding too easy and makes shuttles useless, removing the sole reason for any variation in ship size in the game

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Not really a fan of the transporters. Makes boarding too easy and makes shuttles useless, removing the sole reason for any variation in ship size in the game
    Nah, you still need shuttles to move to planet surfaces.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Nah, you still need shuttles to move to planet surfaces.
    Would make a lot more sense if it were ally only so we wouldn't have people spawning in the core rooms of neutral and enemy ships. At the very least make it so you need to be in close proximity (<100m) of the ship to beam on

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Would make a lot more sense if it were ally only so we wouldn't have people spawning in the core rooms of neutral and enemy ships. At the very least make it so you need to be in close proximity (<100m) of the ship to beam on
    Question- have you read the other news post that covers how boarding through transporters will work? Because that addresses your problem of people being able to easily warp right into your command area.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I hope you have to get their shields down before you can board them, that would seem to be more balanced. By the way it sounds so far, there will be nothing stopping someone from slapping together a box on engines, cramming it full of npcs, and beaming them all into the enemy ship before they even know what hit them. It also makes sense to be able to turn off your own shields in the scenario where you actually want someone to beam over, without having to handicap yourself by rebooting.