Dev Blog : October 20th 2015

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Bench, any news about asteroid re-spawning/economy in general?
    Asteroids not respawning was at first considered intended by the testing team, we noticed this issue when the fix for http://phab.starma.de/T173 was deployed. We'll try to sort this issue out for the next release.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1445498114,1445497913][/DOUBLEPOST]
    do we have any indication when that will be?
    Not really, I could give you an educated guess though..Fixing the release blockers will probably take a full week (+ some more days to confirm those fixes), adding the extra features is probably another week. However, I'm not sure if there is more planned for this release so it could be 2 weeks from now, or 4.

Reactions: hzzzln
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Lancake, and how will the logic gates work? will they be on when there is something in them and off otherwise or will passing through just change the state so to give a pulse u would need to go through twice?

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    do we have any indication when that will be?
    Hopefully end of next week depending on any issues that arise during bug testing. Rather send out a solid build than one with game-breaking holes in it.

Lancake, and how will the logic gates work? will they be on when there is something in them and off otherwise or will passing through just change the state so to give a pulse u would need to go through twice?
    passing through them triggers a true state, you can use an activation module or a button, though I'd suggest button.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

Could be an extra thing the radar jammers do
    Ooh! What about call forwarding? Can I redirect incoming transporters into a neighboring star? Or an automated operator system? "Please hold, the integrity of your data stream is important to us. You are now [3rd] in line for materialization. One of our transporter technicians will be with you shortly..."

Reaction score
    Ooh! What about call forwarding? Can I redirect incoming transporters into a neighboring star? Or an automated operator system? "Please hold, the integrity of your data stream is important to us. You are now [3rd] in line for materialization. One of our transporter technicians will be with you shortly..."
    If we have have transporter on hold we'll need some terrible hold music to play while waiting to materialize.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Transporters totally need to kill astronauts if it's shut off mid-transport... A good reason for enemies to sneak in and sabotage transporter systems!

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    On the new launcher will you have a pop up telling people how to set memory? New people might just crash out when they see their first planet, and think the game is crap and drop it.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    to elaborate i want to be able to make a blockade by which thay cant just transport from onside to the other
    Blockades generally don't work. You can always escape them with a cloak + jammer and fly out manually, and you can't cover every single sector to escape through.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Blockades generally don't work. You can always escape them with a cloak + jammer and fly out manually, and you can't cover every single sector to escape through.
    I know that was the best way i could think of to describe what i ment because thay seamed to misunderstand

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    passing through them triggers a true state, you can use an activation module or a button, though I'd suggest button.
    Speaking of activation gates, any idea when we are going to get proximity based trigger areas? you know like trigger area variants that send out a true signal only when something is within its space but sends a false signal when something has left. (kinda like pressure plates in minecraft)

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Speaking of activation gates, any idea when we are going to get proximity based trigger areas? you know like trigger area variants that send out a true signal only when something is within its space but sends a false signal when something has left. (kinda like pressure plates in minecraft)
    that is what i was hoping the gates would be like

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    We're trying it out for now, it probably won't remain like that in the future but we have to start somewhere. Also if you're transporting from one transporter in your ship to another then your shields shouldn't drop as you aren't going outside of the ship.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1445391981,1445391863][/DOUBLEPOST]

Transporters are between other transporters. If the surface has no transporter down there then better grab the keys to the shuttle. Similarly sometimes it might be more practical to dock then to transport, like if the other ship doesn't have one etc.
    One question :
    1. Can Transporters be on stations ? (saves me 5 minutes when docking the "Normal" way)

Reaction score
    >making astronauts, the easiest to kill thing in the game, teleport into a room full of ship-board weapons
    >"strategy"
    Misquoting me there. :p

It will add strategy to how you board ships. Recon a ship if it's teleporters are trapped, then board another way, if a ships got no defences then teleport away. Work out what they have and then how to counter them. A ship with zero power is gonna have a hard time running weapons.
    so yes "Strategy"
    Also strategy as you learn how to defend your teleporters. So yep again "strategy".

Should they remove anti player turrets because 'kills people"? ;)

I guess it's all about how you percive the situation. :D
    [DOUBLEPOST=1445584907,1445584746][/DOUBLEPOST]
    It removes all the need for grav tubes or rail elevators. Or even just hallways. For a game going into an RP stage of development, removing the need for RP interiors is probably not the right direction.
    With roleplay you're um...well... roleplaying? So simply don't build YOUR station or ship with such devices. You can still have halls, elevators etc. It's not compulsory nor does it penalise you in any way does it?

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    also what is the status on AI fleets? Will they be fixed in the next patch?

They don't spawn or activate correctly, our of range, essentially dead in the water. But will sometimes come to life surprisingly if you try to board them. While Pirates and Trade guild are broken the already limited gameplay is massively decreased.

The AI at least should be working every release. Otherwise what do players have to do than PvP? The AI constantly getting more and more broken is my biggest concern atm. For me this is the number one thing currently that needs addressing before telporters and racing gates.

Such a large universe needs life to not feel empty and dead. As others have stated I can honestly see racing being a one hit wonder. These kind of space games such activities only ever draw a small percentage of players from experience and only for a short term before the novelty wears off, or players cannot find anyone else willing to race.
    While it might be a addition that spawned off another game mechanic, I think it should be put on hold until other gameplay that would appeal to the greater community and not the minority was implemented or fixed. Once again for example, working AI ships.

Here's hoping the new launcher with more frequent news and possible surveys might give the devs a better idea of what the majority of players may want or expect or encourage more playing the game to visit the fgorums and put in their 2 cents worth.

Sorry if some of us get a little frustrated when we aren't in the loop and only have very little info to rely on and we get the impression gameplay wise development appears to be going in the wrong direction.

This is though after all why we're pay-testing StarMade, to provide feedback both positive and negative, if we don't voice our concerns Schine won't be aware of them.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    also what is the status on AI fleets? Will they be fixed in the next patch?

They don't spawn or activate correctly, our of range, essentially dead in the water. But will sometimes come to life surprisingly if you try to board them. While Pirates and Trade guild are broken the already limited gameplay is massively decreased.

The AI at least should be working every release. Otherwise what do players have to do than PvP? The AI constantly getting more and more broken is my biggest concern atm. For me this is the number one thing currently that needs addressing before telporters and racing gates.

Such a large universe needs life to not feel empty and dead. As others have stated I can honestly see racing being a one hit wonder. These kind of space games such activities only ever draw a small percentage of players from experience and only for a short term before the novelty wears off, or players cannot find anyone else willing to race.
    While it might be a addition that spawned off another game mechanic, I think it should be put on hold until other gameplay that would appeal to the greater community and not the minority was implemented or fixed. Once again for example, working AI ships.

Here's hoping the new launcher with more frequent news and possible surveys might give the devs a better idea of what the majority of players may want or expect or encourage more playing the game to visit the fgorums and put in their 2 cents worth.

Sorry if some of us get a little frustrated when we aren't in the loop and only have very little info to rely on and we get the impression gameplay wise development appears to be going in the wrong direction.

This is though after all why we're pay-testing StarMade, to provide feedback both positive and negative, if we don't voice our concerns Schine won't be aware of them.
    I agreed with your post, but as you said we only get crumbs of info like the OP. It could be that AI development is on hold until other pieces are in place, like captains chairs, so that they can be included in the AI code.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    It will add strategy to how you board ships. Recon a ship if it's teleporters are trapped, then board another way, if a ships got no defences then teleport away. Work out what they have and then how to counter them. A ship with zero power is gonna have a hard time running weapons.
    so yes "Strategy"
    Also strategy as you learn how to defend your teleporters. So yep again "strategy".
    Why would anyone NOT trap their teleporter rooms? It's just common sense to trap the things. Might as well not even have teleporter boarding exist if it's not going to be a viable option.

Should they remove anti player turrets because 'kills people"? ;)
    I realize this was most likely a rhetorical question, but yes, actually. I'd much prefer if we had to defend our ships with AI troops, as turrets are a tad unfair.

Personally, I think teleporting to the transporter room of the enemy ship is not the correct way to do it. The correct way would to have it so the transporter can target manned systems (which will hopefully be coming with the other RP/AI improvements), and then teleport borders into that room.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    if the shields on my ship have to drop for me to transport off, wouldn't the ship i am transporting to have to have its shields down also?o_O

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I'll give you a little bit because a lot of you are a bit concerned and the such.

Eventually, when transporting to board onto an enemy ship, it might not be their transporter that you end up. *wink wink* it's all quite well thought out, wish I could share more.