Criss' Thread

Reaction score
    Maybe some community members like to regularly make some quality news posts like "this week in Starmade". Like the new stations would be nice to also seen on the frontpage. If some guys from the dev team even provide some screenshots from time to time, the news can be more unique. Right now people gather they infos from time to time updates of the dev blog and the streams, and (stressfully) from the all around forum posts.

In those news also nice new builds on the CC or popular server news could be included. I would exclude popular suggestions or discussions around development directions.

Please don't forget, that the staff doesn't have to make any updates regularly. The only important info is what's new in a pre release build, and maybe some news on major new features like the power update. I don't consider new blueprints for the factions a major news. It's nice to know but nothing that can be demanded.

Last edited:

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    You can stream regularly but you can't take a couple screencaps from that stream and throw them in here after you're done?

Yes. I can take screenshots of the builds we are working on.

I expect feedback on a regular basis for the builds we are doing.

For the record Lecic, you don't actually have to swear in every post you make. I can see that this is what the players want from the ten posts prior to yours.

Reaction score
    Maybe you'd get more feedback by not restricting yourselves to those who watch the streams. Information outside the streams has been asked for many times, politely and admittedly less so.

Is it really that hard to sum up a week's streams in a paragraph or two and a few pictures after you've finished? Alternate the task between the streamers, but if you do streams, please consider presenting the progress here as well.

Reactions: Thingie

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Yes. I can take screenshots of the builds we are working on.

Then post them so we can give you feedback.

For the record Lecic, you don't actually have to swear in every post you make. I can see that this is what the players want from the ten posts prior to yours.
    Swearing isn't banned. Quit being a baby. I'm tired of asking our Social Media Director to make posts on social media. You have the content to make the posts with. At this point I am thinking you have some sort of personal grudge against the people who don't have the time to watch your streams.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    It's been neat to watch the station, and other stuff, slowly get completed. Course, whenever I show up, the stream is due to end. xD

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Is it really that hard to sum up a week's streams in a paragraph or two
    I just genuinely didn't think it was necessary. We have a clear vision for what we want out of our factions. We've given them history and purpose. We know what they are about. So far, we have had very little trouble relying on only ourselves to complete a satisfactory build. Outside of our team, we don't really get much feedback to begin with, even with the livestream viewers. 90% of the time they've been content with what we build. I figure the impact will be minimal, which is why I didn't bother before. If you want to know what we are building that makes sense, but I won't necessarily be making the posts expecting heavy revisions of the work we've done. Unless it's systems I suppose.

Reaction score
    I just genuinely didn't think it was necessary. We have a clear vision for what we want out of our factions. We've given them history and purpose. We know what they are about. So far, we have had very little trouble relying on only ourselves to complete a satisfactory build. Outside of our team, we don't really get much feedback to begin with, even with the livestream viewers. 90% of the time they've been content with what we build. I figure the impact will be minimal, which is why I didn't bother before. If you want to know what we are building that makes sense, but I won't necessarily be making the posts expecting heavy revisions of the work we've done. Unless it's systems I suppose.
    On the other hand it's hard to give usefull feedback, when I don't know the bigger picture. I like what I see, and from the infos we have, we only can critique on the aestetical aspect of the builds. And the aestetics are nice.

On the stuff I can critique on:

Ofcourse it could be more colorfull. Not everything. But when I think of a wealthy faction, I also think that they try to invest into some design that makes the black space more vibrant and colorful. After all there are humans, and the future might not be grey-industrial in all areas of life (or stations and ships).

Living and leisure areas could be colorful for example. Work related entrances could be "dull" and official entrances or office areas, and public stuff could be colorful. I also would differentiate into cultural life areas (bars, clubs->color, lights, many props like a billard table and a gaming console, maybe a dance area, wild arangements of tables, seperated spaces for tables), and regular places to meet and eat (industrial or clean, maybe a nice painting).

Every regular station also can have the regular neccessities that come with working. A medical area, some locker room area to deposit stuff (use public modules, or docked ships that are factionised to public usage)... For example an area to sleep is something that I don't expect on a smaller station that is used to process goods. Also some cell to lock in prisoners is something even medium stations could use...

Lastly I want to add, that the mirror tool you guys use to just copy the interior to the other side...It's like wasting half of the stations space. Every player will come in, notice: hey the one half is exactly like the other, and then he will never go into the second part of the station. It's ok to mirror like 20% of the interior. Room shapes can be the same, but room purposes, like 2 cafés on booth sides...not so good imo. Ofcourse that means more work. But it really pays off.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Valck

Thingie

Professional Lurker
    Reaction score
    I would like to remind those here that although use of profanity isn't against the rules, excessive use of it is. If found using it excessively you will get a 2 point warning. Tread carefully.

Reaction score
    Hello. It's me! I've gotten past the neco-post warning that SMD threw at me so that I could provide another build update.
    I would suggest [snip elaborate feedback]
    I suggest [snip suggestion]
    Outside of our team, we don't really get much feedback to begin with, even with the livestream viewers. 90% of the time they've been content with what we build. I figure the impact will be minimal, which is why I didn't bother before.
    [...]

I have no idea how much feedback yall get from your viewers, and probably 90% of your readers here would be content as well with what you build. You may consider the impact minimal on you, but if nobody outside the stream viewers only gets a chance to provide feedback once every few months, or even just to like what they read, I'd say the impact is not minimal on them, Mr. Social Media Director ;).

If you want to know what we are building that makes sense
    Why do you think people would follow the "Schine!" threads, ask for updates besides streams, and provide feedback, if they weren't interested in what you create?

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Not all of us have the time to or want to watch the streams. Post regular updates. The fact that your own thread has necroed IS DISGRACEFUL. Update your fucking thread Criss. You can stream regularly but you can't take a couple screencaps from that stream and throw them in here after you're done?
    Swearing isn't banned. Quit being a baby. I'm tired of asking our Social Media Director to make posts on social media. You have the content to make the posts with. At this point I am thinking you have some sort of personal grudge against the people who don't have the time to watch your streams.
    I agree with you that updates would be great even just small screenshots. At the end of the day, it's his thread. He decides when to post. And you should stop being rude about it, your creating a really bad mood in the thread. It's not being a baby its called not liking a toxic atmosphere.

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    At the same time, not having much feedback from between 30 and 40 people watching the stream is kind of normal. You'll get more feedback from the 200000 ish people registered on the dock...

Reaction score
    At the same time, not having much feedback from between 30 and 40 people watching the stream is kind of normal. You'll get more feedback from the 200000 ish people registered on the dock...
    The stream really is only for hardcore fans. Casual players (majority) are not that involved imo.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Ofcourse it could be more colorfull.
    There is a problem with color in StarMade. It is locked into some very specific and vibrant shades. Grey is flexible, as are other neutral colors. Brown would be too if we had a more tan-like version of hull. Take if from someone that went to college for design, color is useful, but it is only one aspect of design. Depending on how you use it, it can really make something stand out or it can over-saturate a scene.

First, I think our personal preferences do play a part. I've never been a fan of colorful spacecraft. The ones that I do like mute their colors a bit. It's not as flashy. The Sci-fi universes I know have never prominently featured colorful craft. I think that's stuck with me.

Additionally, each faction has a reason for sticking to more muted colors. The Trading Guild is elegant, but utilitarian. They have access to more advanced tech, and so their ships are more streamlined, more classic Sci-Fi, but they aren't about being flashy. Not with their military or transport vessels. The UPS Vans in America are brown and boring and so is their first transport. Their station interiors do get quite a bit of color however, as they are the centers of wealth in their faction.

Now I've said this about the Outcasts before, but if Star Wars ships were ever to manifest in StarMade, the Outcasts would be it. Think of the Millenium Falcon. It's a junky looking ship. Dirty, little coloring here and there. Inside it's grimy and quite devoid of any noticeable colors. In an attempt to give more color to the Outcasts, a majority of their interiors are dimly lit with orange light. The Outcasts are surviving in space, and I want it to feel like they aren't living a lavish life.

The Scavengers build everything out of scrap. Out of the three factions they should use the least color. We throw some red on them in the form of lights to do two things: One, they still need color. We hide the lights so that there is a red glow from under their hull plates. Two, to indicate that they are an enemy to the player.

We have talked about giving them various subfactions in the past, and with the fine controls given to us with the NPC factions update, we can do that. These subfactions can be more expressive, giving their ships distinctive hull colors. In the future you might even see some menacing warpaint on their larger ships. If any of you have played the Mad Max game that came out a while ago, you'll see the possibilities.

Additionally we have the player fleets, which will add a ton of color once we work them into the game.

mirror tool you guys use to just copy the interior to the other side
    This is a fair concern. We do what we can to avoid completely mirroring a station. Housing modules on the Outcast stations for example are always placed individually, and not mirrored. Minor details in hallways are also done individually. Were we to have more different types of NPC's inside stations (when they get put in) I think we would diversify them a bit more but as it stands we can't spend time ensuring that each room serves a specific purpose. If say, NPC data clerks are never in the game. Why would we put in a data clerks' office?

The Outcasts are the most symmetrical, and the Scavengers the least so. On our last two Outcast stations we have made sure that various rooms on either end are different to some degree. Like different types of EAC furnaces in the mining station, and different rooms on the main deck of the shop.

Reactions: DeepspaceMechanic
    Reaction score
    • Tester
    those streams are nice ... only problem is that i usualy arnt available to watch them ;)
    they are on at a time when i rarely can watch them :(

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Scavengers should be a lot more colorfull. They get their parts from all sort of ships. Surely in the universe there are green, blue, pink, red, violet ships ?
    A green wing bit here, violet nose cone here wouldn't hurt for scavengers...

Reaction score
    Ah allright, now I have a good clue of how you guys work.

Nice to know, that you allready considered the stuff I mentioned, and have a thought out plan. I understand your way of using the color scheme. I am not a designer, I only know some basics.
    This is a fair concern. We do what we can to avoid completely mirroring a station. Housing modules on the Outcast stations for example are always placed individually, and not mirrored. Minor details in hallways are also done individually. Were we to have more different types of NPC's inside stations (when they get put in) I think we would diversify them a bit more but as it stands we can't spend time ensuring that each room serves a specific purpose. If say, NPC data clerks are never in the game. Why would we put in a data clerks' office?

The Outcasts are the most symmetrical, and the Scavengers the least so. On our last two Outcast stations we have made sure that various rooms on either end are different to some degree. Like different types of EAC furnaces in the mining station, and different rooms on the main deck of the shop.
    The only thing I would talk about again is, that some rooms or objects could be there on any station. To go from "playful" style to a more "realistic" style, as there are some neccessities that are needed on every station. Like a medical room (I don't know, but I think med blocks can be used via public modules?), rooms for the staff to hang out seperated from the normal visitors, office rooms...I mean every station has a set of things that it needs in every case, like power generators, oxygen tanks, water treatment, a heater in some way, nearly every bigger than medium station has a medical room or supply area, a security or control room on bigger public stations, locker rooms on worker stations...

It's hard to describe it or to find the right definition for the thing I try to explain. I suggest to make a list of really neccessary objects that any station needs, and include it one way or another into every station. And then there is a list of optional objects, like prison cells or control rooms, that are highly likely to be found. So if I walk around a station, I get this clue that I actually can find a certain set of things in every case, if I look for it.

Example: I come into a small regular wealthy outpost (like the outcasts). It's only purpose is to store and to supply some small goods needed for the working miners around it. It has: heater, oxygen tank, water tank, a power generator, a small medical automated chair, a locker room, maybe even shield generators if you like to look into that, two bunk bed rooms, a staff room, a public area room for the workers passing by or visitors, a office room, maybe even a "space" closet (they are small), some cargo tanks and like 2 or 3 hangar platforms or just 2 small docking tubes. What it does not have is: prison, medical extra room, security or control room, bigger showers, a bar or some sort of living room, a seperated kitchen.

I understand if its not that neccessary to look into, as it complicates building. And I also think you allready thought about this part of building allready. I just noticed it from the pictures, that some things seem a little bit random and that adding props like generators or tanks get added randomly instead of following some "human behavior rules" that automatically depend of a longer list of things needed to survive.

For the other players reading: building a station according to this list is a pretty easy way to stuff it with a full rp interior. And it is really boring at it restrains building free and creative, you have to stick to a tought out plan. =)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Why do you think people would follow the "Schine!" threads, ask for updates besides streams, and provide feedback, if they weren't interested in what you create?
    ^ dis.

i dont regularly see these threads (just when theyre front page) because i dont usually care about most of this stuff till its done and in game, and i watch the streams when im interested.

if that werent an option, this would be my next stop.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Scavengers should be a lot more colorfull. They get their parts from all sort of ships. Surely in the universe there are green, blue, pink, red, violet ships ?
    A green wing bit here, violet nose cone here wouldn't hurt for scavengers...

While that may make sense, currently there are 2 factions the Scavengers can attack, Outcasts and TG. Their ships are mostly gray. That color would be coming from non-existent factions, at least until we get others in. The dark gray, and blacks and browns used by the Scavengers represent a barrenness. All their machinery is exposed to a degree. (Not actually. Only in a few places do we expose system blocks but you get the idea).

every station has a set of things that it needs in every case
    This is true. We already have that list. We also have one for spaceships. The problem is matter of time, and how we spend it. We could put in unique rooms for different mechanical components, and various offices, storage rooms and medical centers. We could do that on all the stations we have designed so far. The problem is that fitting more stuff into a station requires much more thought. If there are certain patterns that the floors, ceilings and walls need to have, then you need to accommodate that for every room. You need to properly build stairwells and elevators that can access each deck in a reasonable way. I personally will not allow crisscrossing ramps all over the place.

We weight that against other factors. What is the purpose of the station or ship, and what rooms need to be here for that specific purpose. We go from there. On larger builds we will have to include more of the unique rooms you mentioned, but for the station sizes we are working with right now, they are much more focused and less flexible when it comes to that stuff.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    While that may make sense, currently there are 2 factions the Scavengers can attack, Outcasts and TG. Their ships are mostly gray. That color would be coming from non-existent factions, at least until we get others in. The dark gray, and blacks and browns used by the Scavengers represent a barrenness. All their machinery is exposed to a degree. (Not actually. Only in a few places do we expose system blocks but you get the idea).
    could use parts from those glorious community fleets. if you havent forgotten completely about them