Criss' Thread

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    could use parts from those glorious community fleets. if you havent forgotten completely about them
    Fucking true though...

Hell, why stop there? You know full well most of the winners from that contest are willing to start designing stations to go along with their fleets and increase the number of resources available for random AI factions.

Reaction score
    Fucking true though...

Hell, why stop there? You know full well most of the winners from that contest are willing to start designing stations to go along with their fleets and increase the number of resources available for random AI factions.
    There is a style and rp-depth that was not mandatory for the contest, but seems now to be neccessary in the new factions. I think they don't want to share about the style and guidelines until the factions are finished, so people don't build for nothing again. That's also part of an alpha game: Community provided content can get obsolete when the development direction changes. I don't know what Shine wants to do with the fleets contest stuff, I just say that this might be one possibilty.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    There is a style and rp-depth that was not mandatory for the contest, but seems now to be neccessary in the new factions. I think they don't want to share about the style and guidelines until the factions are finished, so people don't build for nothing again. That's also part of an alpha game: Community provided content can get obsolete when the development direction changes. I don't know what Shine wants to do with the fleets contest stuff, I just say that this might be one possibilty.
    We are talking about the ship designs themselves not the systems. With Systems 2.0 we already need to refit all the community fleets.
    Criss and Saber could easily take the bridge, engine, weapon, or anything off a community fleet ship and build it onto a scavenger.

Reaction score
    We are talking about the ship designs themselves not the systems. With Systems 2.0 we already need to refit all the community fleets.
    Criss and Saber could easily take the bridge, engine, weapon, or anything off a community fleet ship and build it onto a scavenger.
    True. I hope they do at least include the top 3 winners into some sub factions, or as lone rangers. So you have the 3 main factions, and some unique solo factions only encountered in rare cases.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    We plan on keeping every single fleet that one in the contests. We are likely, however not 100% confirmed, going to let those builders update the assets before full release of the game.

We are open the possibility of letting those winners design more assets for the fleets. And come to think of it, having those builders on stream doing some sort of collaboration would be kinda neat.

Reactions: kiddan and Top 4ce
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Yes, more people working on the game would be good for the game. And some sort of relief for you.

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    We plan on keeping every single fleet that one in the contests. We are likely, however not 100% confirmed, going to let those builders update the assets before full release of the game.

We are open the possibility of letting those winners design more assets for the fleets. And come to think of it, having those builders on stream doing some sort of collaboration would be kinda neat.
    Your reply is irrelevant to what the discussion was about, we already know you're going to keep the ships and that you might let us builders refit the ships. But are you going to use our community fleets for scavenger parts? It would make both Scavenger and the community fleets feel more part of the same universe and game instead of them being completely separated.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Your reply is irrelevant to what the discussion was about, we already know you're going to keep the ships and that you might let us builders refit the ships. But are you going to use our community fleets for scavenger parts? It would make both Scavenger and the community fleets feel more part of the same universe and game instead of them being completely separated.
    For now, probably not. Yeah it might make everything connect, but we aren't sure how often we want players encountering player fleets just yet. Not sure how dense everything will be. It might be too much effort to rip parts off other ships and integrate them with a scavenger vessel when a player wouldn't recognize it without searching for it. There is more to their design than making parts and stitching it together. It get's very technical when we consider how we build and what the ship needs.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    All right, here's the first of a weekly update thing I'll now be doing. These weekly posts won't be as in depth. We'll be focusing only on the things we worked on for that week. Unless I find a rhythm, don't expect these to appear the same day. I might talk about it immediately after the stream, or during the weekend. I'll try to post at least once a week regardless.

So if you do not already know, we are currently working on an Outcast mining station, shown below. Quickly, I'll outline the design process. We started off with the Outcast factory, which I believe to be a resounding success in terms of creating an aesthetic for the Outcasts. We applied what we learned to the shop station for them, and then moved onto the Mining Station.

Visually we want the stations to look different based on its purpose. Factories will be single pylon, and quite simple. Shops will have sprawling landing pads and docking points. The mining stations will feature dual pylons, an open hangar in the center as a drop off point, and mineral silos for storage on the sides.

Externally we have been adding details such as these white tanks, and machinery that leads from the silos to the furnaces inside. The white tanks should be familiar, as we see them on other Outcast vessels and stations.

Most of my time during last stream was spent working on three things. First is the comm array. It's very similar to the antenna build on the other Outcast stations. The great thing about designing these factions is creating all the individual components for a build that is shared among it's faction. We now have a general design for the comm array on the Outcast, Scavenger, and TG vessels. It's a small thing, but together, these details really define a faction.

The second thing I spent last stream working on was the power pylons. As with other Outcast stations, these pylons serve as the "reactor" of the station. The more imposing these structures, the more powerful the station. These pylons are thinner, yet more directly connected with the filtering systems that stand adjacent to the mineral silos. Those silos, by the way, are undockable cargo pods. They will be used to create a variant of the Transit class freighter in the future.

My last task for the week was working on detailing the furnace areas inside the station. Due to the usage of two different furnaces, this detailing will be asymmetrical. So far this isn't complete. I plan on weaving piping into and out of the back wall and integrating it with details on the exterior.

I also put in the first few things inside the hangar control deck. There are currently no managers offices, however I am wondering if I should put one in. Anyway, that's it for this weeks post. Thanks for reading and if you have any ideas, let me here em!

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    For now, probably not. Yeah it might make everything connect, but we aren't sure how often we want players encountering player fleets just yet. Not sure how dense everything will be. It might be too much effort to rip parts off other ships and integrate them with a scavenger vessel when a player wouldn't recognize it without searching for it. There is more to their design than making parts and stitching it together. It get's very technical when we consider how we build and what the ship needs.
    Ultimately it doesn't even have to be recognizable. If the player doesn't notice what it's from, they'll be like, 'oh, that was taken from some ship.' And that's fine. Scavengers apparently scavenge, and having it be exclusively from the original default factions doesn't make much sense one way or the other.

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Ultimately it doesn't even have to be recognizable. If the player doesn't notice what it's from, they'll be like, 'oh, that was taken from some ship.' And that's fine. Scavengers apparently scavenge, and having it be exclusively from the original default factions doesn't make much sense one way or the other.
    might as well just say fuck the community fleets as part of the universes "lore".

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Personally I like the way scavenger ships look now. 'Scavenged' doesn't necessarily have to mean a hodgepodge of different starships welded together - I much prefer the gray, skeletal, stripped-down 'I built this thing out of scrap metal in my backyard' appearance.

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Personally I like the way scavenger ships look now. 'Scavenged' doesn't necessarily have to mean a hodgepodge of different starships welded together - I much prefer the gray, skeletal, stripped-down 'I built this thing out of scrap metal in my backyard' appearance.
    so they scavenge complete ships off trading guild (and possible that other faction I forgot the name of?) but they dont dare touch all the other ships in the galaxy? How the hell does that make any sense at all.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    so they scavenge complete ships off trading guild (and possible that other faction I forgot the name of?) but they dont dare touch all the other ships in the galaxy? How the hell does that make any sense at all.
    Ever heard of breaking things down for parts? In any case, there are a lot of community fleets, so it'd be a crapton of work to integrate even a part of them with the scavenger ship designs.

Also, it'd look ridiculous, at least if the original colours of the community fleets were kept and you'd see swarms of murderous rainbow pirates.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Ever heard of breaking things down for parts? In any case, there are a lot of community fleets, so it'd be a crapton of work to integrate even a part of them with the scavenger ship designs.

Also, it'd look ridiculous, at least if the original colours of the community fleets were kept and you'd see swarms of murderous rainbow pirates.
    The scavengers already repaint stuff they take from stolen ships.

Also, it's not like they need to take parts from every fleet.

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10

oh yes but Criss and Saber slapped a almost complete cargo ship onto one of the stations, so far the scavenger MO is to take whole ships and use them for new ships or parts for stations. I havent seens many of the other scavenger ships or builds use much from the Trading Guild or that other faction I keep forgetting about.
    Why is the Scavengers not taking engines from some of the community fleet ships, maybe some turrets, weapons, anything at all?
    It's as bad lore making as Destiny 2's opening where they say "It was a golden age, and for centuries humanity thrived... until it didn't" Yes they actually say that in the opening cinematic
    But I mean yeah I guess if you want bad scavengers and to completely ignore the massive amount of ships that are out in the universe then sure I guess. They are not important enough to be taken seriously or something. Scavengers are just like:
    Random crew guy"oh hey Capn we killed this heavily armoured frigate here with some good guns, should we take them and strap them on our own ships?"
    Captain: "what? hell no they arent part of the 3 main factions, we dont need those giant guns for anything even if it would give us a massive advantage over the TG, We scavenge TG ships and that other faction but not a single other one! and thats it soldier!"

sound great doesnt it?

and what Lecic said about recolouring.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    might as well just say fuck the community fleets as part of the universes "lore".
    Rude. I didn't say that at all.

Why is the Scavengers not taking engines from some of the community fleet ships, maybe some turrets, weapons, anything at all?
    Because we haven't gotten there yet. We're a two man team, and certainly not the fastest builders. We'd also like to ensure that when we do take parts from other factions stuff, that those factions on their own are complete.

Reaction score
    The scavengers already repaint stuff they take from stolen ships.
    ...making it even less recognizable.
    Also, it's not like they need to take parts from every fleet.
    And what are the chances of anyone actually recognizing some obscure part of one ship of one of the 77 fleets that made the contest? Not likely worth the effort IMO.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    ...making it even less recognizable.
    "I don't understand the entire point or aesthetic of a scavenger faction"; the post

And what are the chances of anyone actually recognizing some obscure part of one ship of one of the 77 fleets that made the contest? Not likely worth the effort IMO.
    What are the chances of anyone actually recognizing some obscure part of one ship from one of the 3 main factions? Can you seriously look at the Scavenger lineup and tell me which specific parts were taken from which specific faction, without checking their line-ups first? I know I certainly can't. I can recognize certain THEMES to parts and make a decent guess on which faction they're from, but I couldn't tell you which specific ship they came from.

The point of a scavenger faction isn't that you know exactly where the scavenged parts came from, just that you can clearly tell they WERE scavenged from someone else, because the aesthetic of the stolen parts does not line up with the ones the scavengers build themselves as the base of their ship, and because there is a seam, a weld, an obvious point between the two parts. And if you're going to be building a scavenger fleet, doesn't it make sense to use a wide variety of components that already exist?

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    And if you're going to be building a scavenger fleet, doesn't it make sense to use a wide variety of components that already exist?
    Not if it takes more time to go through all the models, decide which parts to reuse, organize them into templates, and finally add a few to the design you're building. If recognizability isn't even a consideration, then why go through the hassle at all? I think I am creative enough to make a ship look jumbled together if I wanted to without having to copy-paste from other ships, and I'm certainly not the greatest builder under the sun.